Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why did Bielema come to Arkansas?

Started by Piggfoot, October 23, 2017, 09:05:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Piggfoot

On the surface he was a highly successful coach at Wisconsin. Why did he want to leave
In the Big Ten he needed only to beat two elite teams. In the SEC he would have to beat
four or five, maybe more. It doen't make sence unless Alvarez was indeed calling the shots and Bielema thought he could do better elsewhere. Long was suckered with a love letter after our program fell apart. Reading between the lines Alvarez was angry at Bielema for leaving. Why?  In the meantime Wisconsin has continued to do well no matter the Head coach.  When Bielema is gone it is doubtful his next job will come to him as easy as the Arkansas job.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

010HogFan

If he ever wants to coach again, he would be wise to cut his losses and leave on his own after this season.

HawgsPolo

Go Cubs Go!!!!!

SudsMcBucky

Quote from: Piggfoot on October 23, 2017, 09:05:55 am
On the surface he was a highly successful coach at Wisconsin. Why did he want to leave
In the Big Ten he needed only to beat two elite teams. In the SEC he would have to beat
four or five, maybe more. It doen't make sence unless Alvarez was indeed calling the shots and Bielema thought he could do better elsewhere. Long was suckered with a love letter after our program fell apart. Reading between the lines Alvarez was angry at Bielema for leaving. Why?  In the meantime Wisconsin has continued to do well no matter the Head coach.  When Bielema is gone it is doubtful his next job will come to him as easy as the Arkansas job.

The rumor has always been that once he got married, the new little Mrs. wanted him out of his old "stomping grounds".  He had quite a reputation in Madison.

Atlhogfan1

Dumb career decision.  Ego.  Wanting to prove to himself he could build his own program. 

It's also dumb to say Long was suckered.  Any AD would have been pleasantly surprised to have gotten a letter expressing interest in their job in the situation we were in by a coach with BB's resume. 

Of course Alvarez was hurt and angry.  Why would you ask why?  Bielema was his protege.  Had spent years with him and apparently didn't display a level of unhappiness he thought he would leave.  They were close. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HotlantaHog

The stated reason was he was losing lots of assistants at Wisconsin because the AD wouldn't let him pay the assistants what they deserved. At Arkansas, he would be able to pay competitive salaries to assistants so they could be retained and he could have continuity on the coaching staff and build a long-term winner. He was frustrated with having to hire new assistants every year.

island hog

Why wouldn't he want to come to UA?  He had the opportunity to get from underneath an AD who thought he was still the coach and try to run a program on his own... UA offered him a chance to coach in the SEC and live in a great town while doing it.  I still think he's a good coach but his Oline coach choice has been his demise.  Our OC and DC have experience and know what they're doing but I think that the Oline coach choice was the wrong move and it's showing on the field.  Anyway, I think that Tee would be someone that should be given consideration. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HotlantaHog on October 23, 2017, 09:16:19 am
The stated reason was he was losing lots of assistants at Wisconsin because the AD wouldn't let him pay the assistants what they deserved. At Arkansas, he would be able to pay competitive salaries to assistants so they could be retained and he could have continuity on the coaching staff and build a long-term winner. He was frustrated with having to hire new assistants every year.

Yep.  Which ultimately goes to the control of the program. 

Quote from: SudsMcBucky on October 23, 2017, 09:12:39 am
The rumor has always been that once he got married, the new little Mrs. wanted him out of his old "stomping grounds".  He had quite a reputation in Madison.

She was said to be a factor when he came here. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hawgon

I can buy that.

Vantage 8 dude

Easy. To collect $4million a year without having to really coach or produce results. No wonder he can sit back in his flip flops, listening to reggae music and take it easy. Yep, summer time.....fall, winter or spring and the living is easy.

bkjbearcat

If BB quit after last season the national media would of chalked it up to, "It's the job, not the coach." He would of been safe. A mid-major from some MAC, Conference USA or American would of hired him. The storyline would of been Arkansas is just a hard job and most coaches would fail in his position. Now after this year the story will be, "It's the coach."

I originally thought he would get a chance at another D-1 job once he was fired from here. Now, I think he's done for a while. He'll have to go to FCS if he wants to coach again. At least a HC job. Maybe a small D-1 school like Hawaii or Wyoming would make him a coordinator. But the job he's done this season I think he's too toxic for a P5 school to hire him.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

greenEGnHAWGS

It is my opinion that CBB really thought that he was the reason for Wisconsin's success, and that he could win the SEC. But why would he think that he could beat Saban? Probably cuz he really thought that he could keep a strong coaching staff simply by throwing more money at them. Winning the SEC would put him at the top of the coaching echelon.

Its been said 1,000 times that CBB didn't know what he was getting into and its so true. You can't line up and play smash mouth in the SEC without the to players in the country like you could at Wisky.

I really do feel bad for him. I know...I'd take that amount of money to be embarrassed, but he was already a millionaire a Wisky. What he really wanted was to be a top tier coach in the nation and saw an opportunity at Arkansas, but it wasn't the right fit. Now he is getting drubbed every game and everything that he has done in the past isn't working. I do believe he's trying, he just doesn't know what to do at this point.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: bkjbearcat on October 23, 2017, 09:29:07 am
If BB quit after last season the national media would of chalked it up to, "It's the job, not the coach." He would of been safe. A mid-major from some MAC, Conference USA or American would of hired him. The storyline would of been Arkansas is just a hard job and most coaches would fail in his position. Now after this year the story will be, "It's the coach."

I originally thought he would get a chance at another D-1 job once he was fired from here. Now, I think he's done for a while. He'll have to go to FCS if he wants to coach again. At least a HC job. Maybe a small D-1 school like Hawaii or Wyoming would make him a coordinator. But the job he's done this season I think he's too toxic for a P5 school to hire him.
Actually a gig at U of PR would be perfect. Yep, the University of Puerto Rico sounds about his style and level of coaching "expertise".

bkjbearcat

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on October 23, 2017, 09:31:33 am
Actually a gig at U of PR would be perfect. Yep, the University of Puerto Rico sounds about his style and level of coaching "expertise".

Maybe he can follow June Jones and go to Canada. I'm sure some CIS team would hire him. BB as the University of British Columbia's new HC!
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

MJ2

It was a chance for lots of cash, to prove himself in the toughest conference in the U.S. and to make a name for himself.    He got the cash and the rest has fallen by the wayside.

DeltaBoy

He failed to do as well as he thought he could , Plus he not recruited as well as he did in the early years when he got Budda , Skipper the Bermuda Triangle boys on D and such.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on October 23, 2017, 09:31:18 am
It is my opinion that CBB really thought that he was the reason for Wisconsin's success, and that he could win the SEC. But why would he think that he could beat Saban? Probably cuz he really thought that he could keep a strong coaching staff simply by throwing more money at them. Winning the SEC would put him at the top of the coaching echelon.

Its been said 1,000 times that CBB didn't know what he was getting into and its so true. You can't line up and play smash mouth in the SEC without the to players in the country like you could at Wisky.

I really do feel bad for him. I know...I'd take that amount of money to be embarrassed, but he was already a millionaire a Wisky. What he really wanted was to be a top tier coach in the nation and saw an opportunity at Arkansas, but it wasn't the right fit. Now he is getting drubbed every game and everything that he has done in the past isn't working. I do believe he's trying, he just doesn't know what to do at this point.

You can successfully have a pro style offense in the SEC.  If you just focus on the conversation of beating Bama, no offense is consistently successful against them.  When they have lost, it has been against mobile qb's who played out of their minds and wr's who made plays downfield.  No other program's defense has been good enough to say you couldn't be successful against them with any offense. 

Our problem now is we can't smashmouth against anyone.  He didn't build the program he said he would and didn't even recruit to it.  His only season at Wisconsin where his teams averaged fewer rushing attempts per game than any of his Arkansas teams was his first in 2006 when they still avg 41 carries a game.  And that is still more attempts than all of his Arkansas teams but the 2014 team (43 attempts per game).  Contrast that with passing attempts which are up over his Wisconsin teams.  He went more finesse here yet didn't recruit to this either. 

Hoggish1

You make some good points.  But, the middle ¶ is where the problem is in your argument.  He was playing smash mouth and making progress but something happened to derail him and it finally showed up in the Missouri game and continued from there into this year.

anderson?  Not helpful to playing smash mouth. 

Possible meddling into coordinators' job and losing coordinators and position coaches?  Not helpful (we were supposed to be able to keep the ones he wanted...)

Calling players by nick names?  Not helpful

Losing Pittman?  See comment one.

There are a lot more not helpful things that we have seen.

I don't think BB is in good health; anyone can see that.  You just have to compare year one to now.  This all indicates mental anguish that takes its toll physically.

hogsanity

Its been said 1,000 times that CBB didn't know what he was getting into and its so true.

Much like the University of Arkansas did not know what it was getting into, as far as football, when joining the SEC. Neither the UofA then, or BB when he came ever imagined recruiting sufficient #'s of SEC talent would be so difficult.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on October 23, 2017, 09:26:04 am
Easy. To collect $4million a year without having to really coach or produce results. No wonder he can sit back in his flip flops, listening to reggae music and take it easy. Yep, summer time.....fall, winter or spring and the living is easy.
I don't think Bielema ever thought this was going to be an easy payday.  Or that he wasn't going to have to work hard.  But I don't think he had any conception of how HARD he was going to have to work.  And how good everybody else was.

I really think he wanted to win on the big stage of the SEC.  It just doesn't look he's capable of doing it.

onebadrubi

He cashed in at the right time.  It was a very smart move on his part.  He took an ice pay raise with an almost guarantee of $25+ million income over 4-6 years.  His gross income in wisky of he was retained to date would not have been that much.  He jumped to hopefully make a name for himself but also make an ice pay day.  I'm not quite sure his gross income as a head coach, but say he were fired this year he would have taken just 25+ from Arkansas plus probably another 12? M from wisky. 

Guy is how old exactly and has grossed 35+ million.  A good financial guy would have him comfortable for life, looking for work to cover living expenses

MountieDawg

Chicken and Catfish!
SEC!

onebadrubi

TNRazorbacker

Quote from: island hog on October 23, 2017, 09:16:24 am
Why wouldn't he want to come to UA?  He had the opportunity to get from underneath an AD who thought he was still the coach and try to run a program on his own... UA offered him a chance to coach in the SEC and live in a great town while doing it.  I still think he's a good coach but his Oline coach choice has been his demise.  Our OC and DC have experience and know what they're doing but I think that the Oline coach choice was the wrong move and it's showing on the field.  Anyway, I think that Tee would be someone that should be given consideration.

There's more wrong with this team than the O line.

texas tush hog

Quote from: 010HogFan on October 23, 2017, 09:08:03 am
If he ever wants to coach again, he would be wise to cut his losses and leave on his own after this season.

He will spend several years in the television booth, or an FAU or FIU before he coaches again at a P5 school. He has now been exposed as the loser he actually always has been. An Alvarez choir boy.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: bkjbearcat on October 23, 2017, 09:38:10 am
Maybe he can follow June Jones and go to Canada. I'm sure some CIS team would hire him. BB as the University of British Columbia's new HC!
Nah, too dang cold. However, if the position at Hawaii opened up no doubt he's jump at the chance.

KennyForAD

Its simple.  He didn't just fool the college football world into believing he knew how to coach football.  He believed it himself.   He didn't KNOW he was an idiot.  Same as us.   Well... we all know now.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on October 23, 2017, 10:03:38 am
I don't think Bielema ever thought this was going to be an easy payday.  Or that he wasn't going to have to work hard.  But I don't think he had any conception of how HARD he was going to have to work.  And how good everybody else was.

I really think he wanted to win on the big stage of the SEC.  It just doesn't look he's capable of doing it.
Well perhaps in some respects you're correct. However, from pretty much every thing's that being revealed AND every thing we're seeing on the field it appears he's just "mailed it in" or would that be "kicked it in" ???

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on October 23, 2017, 10:52:25 am
Well perhaps in some respects you're correct. However, from pretty much every thing's that being revealed AND every thing we're seeing on the field it appears he's just "mailed it in" or would that be "kicked it in" ???
Oh at this particular moment in time you might be exactly right.  He might have been hit square in the head with a 2x4 that he isn't capable of doing this job.  And he knows he can't fix it.  But the OP was about what made him take the job 5 years ago.

KennyForAD

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on October 23, 2017, 10:03:38 am

Wrong.  Its not Arkansas that is BB's problem.  Its that BB has NO IDEA how to coach football.   This has become abundantly clear.   We just got fooled.  He probably was fooled into believing it himself.   But the cat is out of the bag now.   He is just another idiot, albeit a wealthy one.

Oklahawg

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on October 23, 2017, 10:52:25 am

I know you are frustrated but this is just stupid. No coach wants to be humiliated week after week with an upside-down scoreboard.

He wanted to prove he could build a winner on his own. He wanted to try his hand in the deepest conference in the country. That is the ego of a man who will work to make it happen, not sit around and merely collect a paycheck. He already could do that at UW but chose to try it here.

My warning sign was the continued reference to his "former job."
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

smb

There always high school but not sure he would succeed.
GeorgiaHOG

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: KennyForAD on October 23, 2017, 10:57:49 am
Wrong.  Its not Arkansas that is BB's problem.  Its that BB has NO IDEA how to coach football.   This has become abundantly clear.   We just got fooled.  He probably was fooled into believing it himself.   But the cat is out of the bag now.   He is just another idiot, albeit a wealthy one.
Well you just changed the nature of the question.  But it is revisionist history to say that 5 years ago most people thought this was a pretty good hire.

snoblind

Couple this with the desire to get out from underneath Alvarez who actually ran the program and there is your answer.

Kind of blows up the JL did such great work on this hire and this was a great hire "argument".  Sounds to me like a little research would have uncovered the red flags.  With hindsight they were certainly there.

island hog

Hindsight is the operative word there...

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on October 23, 2017, 11:02:29 am
Well you just changed the nature of the question.  But it is revisionist history to say that 5 years ago most people thought this was a pretty good hire.
Totally agree that most of us were thrilled. However, we were assuming-and yes, I know what that can make out of you and me-that Bret could actually bring some of his Wisconsin success to the Hill. Not saying we have to beat Alabama, but really! I mean in a generally down overall SEC West (and conference in general) we have to continually be totally embarrassed. I mean if that's not "mailing it in" then I would pose the question: What the heck is it? I mean has CBB lost that much of his apparent ability to coach? Is the SEC that much better than it was when he came here (almost) 5 years ago? I mean what the heck can one say about the totally pathetic and cringe worthy play game after game after game? Please share with us what the hell has happened where we continue to steadily regress year after year.

KennyForAD

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on October 23, 2017, 11:02:29 am

No.  Its very simple

No matter who THOUGHT that BB was a good hire, time has PROVEN  it to be a terrible hire.    It WAS a terrible hire at the time he was hired.   There is no such thing as. 'It was a great hire, but he turned out to be a terrible coach.   That's where this started and it is NONSENSE.   Jeff Long made a TERRIBLE HIRE.  Period.    BB has turned out to be among the worst football coaches in history.   Who can argue that he isn't?    He did not get worse over his five years.  He WAS a terrible coach five years ago, it just wasn't known to the general public as it is now.    Understand?

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: KennyForAD on October 23, 2017, 11:31:32 am
No.  Its very simple

No matter who THOUGHT that BB was a good hire, time has PROVEN  it to be a terrible hire.    It WAS a terrible hire at the time he was hired.   There is no such thing as. 'It was a great hire, but he turned out to be a terrible coach.   That's where this started and it is NONSENSE.   Jeff Long made a TERRIBLE HIRE.  Period.    BB has turned out to be among the worst football coaches in history.   Who can argue that he isn't?    He did not get worse over his five years.  He WAS a terrible coach five years ago, it just wasn't known to the general public as it is now.    Understand?

I thought the questions was about why did CBB leave his former job...?

But hey...I know that's never stopped you from rambling about your disdain for him and calling him an idiot.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

PonderinHog

Quote from: island hog on October 23, 2017, 11:27:23 am
Hindsight was 2020 at the half, so he had a chance...

El Puerco Grande

To those that think Bielema cannot leave the U of A and get another P5 job, remember that Ole Miss hired Nutt even after he had been exposed as having little or no talent for coaching football. We tried to tell them. After year three a few of them came on here and admitted we were telling them the truth.
How 'bout them hogs?

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: HotlantaHog on October 23, 2017, 09:16:19 am

When I read this thread question/title, this is the first thing I thought of. Good summary Hotlanta. This may not have been the first thing Bielema said...not exactly rah-rah podium speech material. But it was one of the first things he revealed in an early sit-down interview.

Which brings up the question, if this was one of the main things—if not THE main thing—why hasn't this been an issue? Or has it?...has Bielema identified some other strong coaches he wanted, only to get told "no" from Jeff? Or has Bielema not pursued better options? Boggles the mind.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

snoblind

Quote from: island hog on October 23, 2017, 11:27:23 am

Meh, hindsight for a fan who has become detached after going through the past 25 years.  For an AD whose duty is to hire coaches?  Long should have known before hiring him.

hogsanity

Quote from: snoblind on October 23, 2017, 01:02:01 pm
Meh, hindsight for a fan who has become detached after going through the past 25 years.  For an AD whose duty is to hire coaches?  Long should have known before hiring him.

Right, he should have known what 2017 would look like when he hired him in 2012. Geesh.

BTW, if you are taking the time to post on a message board, you are not detached.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hogsmo Kramer

He came for the hush puppies, def the hush puppies.
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

PonderinHog

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on October 23, 2017, 01:22:06 pm
He came for the hush puppies, def the hush puppies.
and he loves that helmet!

Hogsmo Kramer

Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

snoblind

Quote from: hogsanity on October 23, 2017, 01:09:43 pm
Right, he should have known what 2017 would look like when he hired him in 2012. Geesh.

BTW, if you are taking the time to post on a message board, you are not detached.

Who said anything about 2017?

I'm always amused by folks who want to tell me what I think, what I know, etc.  I used the term detached to refer that I haven't spent hundreds if not thousands of posts attacking or defending a particular coach or AD over the years.