Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Khalil Garland

Started by yraciv, April 13, 2018, 03:39:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rude1

Quote from: k.c.hawg on April 26, 2018, 10:09:10 pm
This isn't a signing a waiver event. You are talking healthy guy, putting on a parachute and jumping out of a plane. This is a University that brings in players to represent the school in athletic competition. Their insurance company requires that said athletes undergo a physical to make sure they are healthy enough to stand up to the rigors of the sport. During the physical a life threatening condition is discovered. You"Do Not" then offer the kid the right to sign off on the University's liability should he die in competition so he go play while you know it is not in his best interest!!! That does not excuse you, your Dr's and your insurance company. It is like letting a depressed person sign a waiver to walk across your damn gun range with all lanes firing. It's his life to go play pick up ball, not for you to charge 18,000 people $$$ to watch him perform and potentially die in front of an audience, knowing he has a potential deadly condition.
^^^This. This most appalling thing I am seeing is that we actually have fans who would be ok with the kid and his family signing a waiver if he wants to play without a doctor's release. What? I mean you would be ok with him dying on the court as long as the University can't be held liable? Think about what you are saying. Under no circumstances do yo let this kid play without a doctor's release. What parent would ever send their kid to a University where liability is more important than their kid's life?

razorback1829

Quote from: k.c.hawg on April 27, 2018, 09:39:04 am
Yes but a University that fields sports teams for the sole purpose of gaining publicity and brand recognition as an institution of higher learning, should not provide a platform for a player to potentially die for that purpose, knowing he has a life threatening condition. If someone walks into my restaurant and tells me I've got a peanut allergy and the Dr told me I will die if I eat anything with peanuts but I feel lucky today, so I'm going to write you permission to fix me a dish with peanuts.......as a chef/owner I will be found complicit in their death if I fix them that dish and they die. Not to mention the fact I have done irreparable harm to my business, with my diners watching a person die over the food I fixed them and with the never ending publicity that surrounds it.  He will not play for the University until a Dr or a group of Dr's, clears him to do so. And cardiologists aren't putting their livelihood and reputation on the line so someone can play a game if they aren't fit to do so.

You're right. For the record, I don't see CMA ever being comfortable with letting him play under those circumstances anyways. Nor the university.

hog.goblin

Quote from: razorback1829 on April 27, 2018, 08:36:27 am
It's his life though. He should be able to make his own decision on how to live it.

That's not really how it works anymore though.  And in this case I agree.  If I represented the university there is no way I would allow such a waiver to even be produced.  Was he coerced, he and his family fully educated on the waiver, did he have legal counsel present (and if so, who paid for it)?  The school benefits financially even if he signs a waiver.  I'm not walking into court with those items up for debate his loss of life on my conscious.

HognitiveDissonance

It's semantics.
Ideally, the player controls his own business. Maybe he feels the docs are being overly cautious, and he wants to play and take whatever risk there is. He's played his whole life with no problems, right? Ideally, no one should dictate to you what you do.

But I don't see the UA ever going that route. It's not going to happen so it's a moot point. There are too many doctors and lawyers involved and it doesn't matter what Garland may be willing to sign.

Like I said, if he insists on playing, they'll just grant him a release to transfer. But then, he would just run into the same issues with that school.

zebradynasty

April 27, 2018, 12:55:12 pm #54 Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 02:14:35 pm by zebradynasty
If his decision to play only affected his life...then I can see the case being made to let him do it. However, this decision can have consequences for a lot of people if something goes wrong. Now if he decides to play after the doctors says no and he goes and plays pickup basketball that is his decision. If he plays without doctors clearance while wearing a Razorback uniform...no amount of waiver will stop the negative press UA will get. It's not worth it! Not to Garland or ANY college to let him play without being medically cleared.

PorkRinds

All you guys talking about just signing a waiver need to understand that it's not an option. Imagine if a young man was playing for us and died on the court on national TV. You think simply saying "it was his life, and we've got a waiver signed by he and his parents that absolves us from responsibility" is going to cut it? No. One player is not worth risking the reputation of the university. It's a terrible deal for him, but he won't find any D1 program willing to do it.

The Hogfather

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 27, 2018, 01:17:55 pm
All you guys talking about just signing a waiver need to understand that it’s not an option. Imagine if a young man was playing for us and died on the court on national TV. You think simply saying “it was his life, and we’ve got a waiver signed by he and his parents that absolves us from responsibility” is going to cut it? No. One player is not worth risking the reputation of the university. It’s a terrible deal for him, but he won’t find any D1 program willing to do it.

I get all of this.  I just don't think it should be like that.  I think the person with the condition should be able to make the ultimate decision. 

The Hogfather

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on April 27, 2018, 12:14:05 pm
Ideally, no one should dictate to you what you do.

This is my main point. 

Hawg Red

Quote from: The Hogfather on April 27, 2018, 01:26:03 pm
This is my main point.

The university (and any university) does not want him to play without medical clearance that it would appear is he is not receiving. And that's their right. So, are you saying the player and his family should dictate to them what they should do if they've made the decision that they are not comfortable with him playing without medical clearance? They don't want a young man dying on their watch. A waiver is a complete non-starter. You need to apply your own point to the university, too.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 27, 2018, 01:36:24 pm
The university (and any university) does not want him to play without medical clearance that it would appear is he is not receiving. And that's their right. So, are you saying the player and his family should dictate to them what they should do if they've made the decision that they are not comfortable with him playing without medical clearance? They don't want a young man dying on their watch. A waiver is a complete non-starter. You need to apply your own point to the university, too.

They don't want him to play without clearance because if something happened they could possibly be liable and receive terrible publicity.  I am just saying IDEALLY, the decision would be made by him and his family, with the U of A being absolved of any fault/responsibility.  I know that's not how it works, I just think that is how it SHOULD work.

HognitiveDissonance

Looking back, there were a few questions raised to Paul Westphal and Loyola-Marymount after Hank Gathers died, but it blew over.

The UA isn't going to let Garland play, but the 'bad press' angle may be a bit overrated. I don't think anyone holds Loyola-Marymount responsible for his death. Things happen. 95 of 100 people realize that.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: GuvHog on April 27, 2018, 06:55:24 am
I agree that the school shouldn't offer Garland a waiver if he is not medically cleared but if Garland and his family insist on signing a waiver removing the U of A from all responsibility so Garland can play, that's on them. It's his life and he and the family have the right to do that if they want to. I don't believe he should but it's his and his family's decision to make.
This is exactly what I am saying.  Plus, it adds to the excitement. 
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: k.c.hawg on April 27, 2018, 09:39:04 am
Yes but a University that fields sports teams for the sole purpose of gaining publicity and brand recognition as an institution of higher learning, should not provide a platform for a player to potentially die for that purpose, knowing he has a life threatening condition. If someone walks into my restaurant and tells me I've got a peanut allergy and the Dr told me I will die if I eat anything with peanuts but I feel lucky today, so I'm going to write you permission to fix me a dish with peanuts.......as a chef/owner I will be found complicit in their death if I fix them that dish and they die. Not to mention the fact I have done irreparable harm to my business, with my diners watching a person die over the food I fixed them and with the never ending publicity that surrounds it.  He will not play for the University until a Dr or a group of Dr's, clears him to do so. And cardiologists aren't putting their livelihood and reputation on the line so someone can play a game if they aren't fit to do so.
Make him sign a waiver and make him a to go plate.  It's not your choice on what he eats.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

Pig in the Pokey

There are plenty of people playing right now with his same condition. ALL sports can lead to death or paralysis, etc. Hell, driving to the arena can cause your death. IT should BE  UP TO HIM And his family.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang