Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bret Bielema’s misuse of T.J. Hammonds shows why Arkansas is in crisis

Started by NuttinItUp, November 05, 2017, 10:36:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Tusks

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

fakenews

Vantage 8 dude

Yeah, but you're not accounting for the fact that according to CBB the young man is "still learning the play book". Just like the 60+ yard screen pass he "took to the house" yesterday. Apparently it's a play that TJ hasn't even been allowed to practice. Obviously he hasn't been ready for that complicated bit of play calling. Hum......one has to wonder what other "secret" plays that we haven't practiced or prepared the young man for.

Ironic that at least one of the plays that Hammonds hasn't practiced helped bail his HC out of a very hot soup yesterday. No doubt that earned him a demotion so that he won't see the ball more than four or five times a game going forward. Yep, can't have him playing any meaningful minutes until he's "ready".

Tortfeasor

Hammonds has our 2 longest offensive plays of the season, but yeah, let's play him as little as possible. Infuriating!!

Tusks

So is that quote true that TJ has never practiced that play?  That's amazing if true.  Shows that the level of ineptness is astounding.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

ipigsooie

If Bielema isn't fired and I were Hammonds, I'd transfer to auburn. I bet they could figure out how to use him and it would be the ultimate f you to Bielema.

greasy_corner

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 05, 2017, 11:22:35 am
If Bielema isn't fired and I were Hammonds, I'd transfer to auburn. I bet they could figure out how to use him and it would be the ultimate f you to Bielema.

He'd have to sit a year, and Malazhan is in as much doo-doo as Bert.  But yeah, if Doughboy is retained, and he continues to not see the field this year, it's in his best interest to leave. 

ballz2thewall

whether tj practiced the play or not

how hard is it to instruct a football player to haul asss around the end, and to keep going if can. don't stop for water breaks or texting.
The rest of the frog.

Tejano Jawg

There are so many levels to this. One, and it's a big one, we need PLAYMAKERS. We have died many deaths (more than long-time Razorback fans should endure) this year at the hands of the explosive play from the other side. Having a few of those is how you win, or how you lose.

We lost a lot from last year's team, big play guys—Morgan, Hatcher, Rawleigh. And I do like all our RBs this year, however, it's insane to not mix in the home-run threat more often. We all wondered about that in the first couple games.

The big problem is the appearance our staff is just working some guys in rather casually, or mechanically (well, it's TJ's turn to get a touch)...not STRATEGICALLY. Where was the sit-down where everyone got together and said "he have to get the ball in his hands more often"?
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

NuttinItUp

Quote from: ballz2thewall on November 05, 2017, 11:50:05 am

how hard is it to instruct a football player to haul asss around the end, and to keep going if can. don't stop for water breaks or texting.

It is hard to get millennials not to text.

hoglady

It was clear what the game plan with the RB's was - 1st series Whaley, 2nd series Williams, 3rd series Hammonds / and continue that rotation.

I don't know why the didn't scrap that pretty early when it was apparent our defense couldn't stop a thing.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

98hogs

Hammonds reminded me of Joe Adams yesterday.  At least Petrino used Adams!

TebowHater

Quote from: tusked on November 05, 2017, 11:22:24 am

So is that quote true that TJ has never practiced that play?  That's amazing if true.  Shows that the level of ineptness is astounding.

100% True.

https://youtu.be/S78WuTn0iqo?t=3m03s

Unbelievable to hear TJ talk about this. "I wasn't running any screens in practice...He only had let Devwah and David run it. That was the first time they've let me run a screen. So when he called it, it surprised me a little bit, but I was like 'ok, let's do this'...Never run the play in practice"

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Well, you know, like many Bieliemers have repeated endlessly, there just isn't time to practice all this stuff.  We've only had nearly 2 years with TJ so I can see why he hasn't practiced that play.  I mean you gotta work with the real players first and the ones whose family hasn't spoken up and there just isn't time to work with the fast players.  Ya know its harder to train those fast players when they are so fast it just messes you up.  Why, I bet Hammonds doesn't play for the helmet, hold onto the rope, or try and play uncommon.

Swinesong1

Wasn't there a thread from a Hammond's relative last year where he was frustrated from not touching the field and was talking of transferring? 

Hawgzinbowlz

I think we have more talent than CBB is assembling on the field together.
The OL debacle begs the question, Does CBB know how to put the best team on the field and have the best chemistry giving us a chance to win.
The postgame presser regarding TJ sounded like CBB has made the decision to give more touch's to Hammonds...A little late and it seems CBB/staff may not know how to put together our most talented team.
CBBs continued time here is creating long term damage to the Arkansas Razorbacks brand...
If JL doesn't make a change after this slop show he would deserve to be sent on his way.
CBB is a colossal failure and not many are continuing to buy the Kool-Aid...Including myself...No More BS.
Razorback Nation deserves better.

" GO HOGS "

IronHog

Jamario Bell is the biggest freak on the team

Won't see the field under BB
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: TebowHater on November 05, 2017, 06:53:32 pm
100% True.

https://youtu.be/S78WuTn0iqo?t=3m03s

Unbelievable to hear TJ talk about this. "I wasn't running any screens in practice...He only had let Devwah and David run it. That was the first time they've let me run a screen. So when he called it, it surprised me a little bit, but I was like 'ok, let's do this'...Never run the play in practice"

Unbelievable !!  No small wonder player development doesn't seem to be working.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

presidenthog

Quote from: IronHog on November 05, 2017, 08:22:09 pm

I've been wondering about him for a while. Hurt at the beginning of fall camp. Was supposed to be out 8 weeks. He got hurt with 4 left in fall camp.

jackflash

nwahogfan1

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 05, 2017, 11:22:35 am

Auburn has 10 guys with Hammonds type speed on their team.  This is the reason we need a new direction in recruiting and coaching we must get more speed and we must scheme and call plays to get speed the ball in space. 

The Boar War

Quote from: IronHog on November 05, 2017, 08:22:09 pm

I know he's hurt this year but I wonder about guys like Bell and Will Gragg.  Both were highly rated and recruited kids who see no meaningful time.

MissippHog

Good to see Hammonds moved up on the depth.....oh wait, nevermind. SMH.

smb

GeorgiaHOG

NaturalStateReb

This reminds me of Nutt not really using Dexter McCluster until about 5 games in to a season.  How can you watch practice every single day and not know that kind of talent is just sitting there underutilized?  It blows my mind.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

IronHog

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on November 06, 2017, 02:32:49 pm
This reminds me of Nutt not really using Dexter McCluster until about 5 games in to a season.  How can you watch practice every single day and not know that kind of talent is just sitting there underutilized?  It blows my mind.

Nutt saved him to play Arkansas

IronHog

Quote from: The Boar War on November 06, 2017, 08:08:21 am
I know he's hurt this year but I wonder about guys like Bell and Will Gragg.  Both were highly rated and recruited kids who see no meaningful time.

Cause the white kid that's supposedly a great blocker gets most of the playing time

BB thinks this is Whisky.  They'd be mid tier in the SEC WEST

jm

Hoggish1

Quote from: ballz2thewall on November 05, 2017, 11:50:05 am

Exactly.  Practice?  He don't need no stinkin' practice...

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

KennyForAD

Quote from: fakenews on November 05, 2017, 11:10:10 am
Why is no one else writing these things except SEC Country?

Because our Athletic Department has a MINISTRY OF PROPAGANDA. 

IronHog

Quote from: jackflash on November 06, 2017, 04:15:54 am
the reason Arkansas is in crisis we can't play defense

The offense and special teams stink too.

No one unit operates in a vacume from the others

311Hog

This was CBB's "i called that play Brotha" moment...

also our defense is awful....

Gentlemen, you just witnessed a group of recruits made up of players who averaged somewhere 25th to 30th in the Nation, playing a group of Kids who averaged around 60th to 70th if that high.  Remind, howd we do.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on November 06, 2017, 02:32:49 pm

Amen he was like the kid from LSU  bullet fast.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 07, 2017, 12:45:55 pm
Amen he was like the kid from LSU  bullet fast.
Are you referring to #8 Trindon Holliday who graduated all the way back in '09 ???

jacobp

I seem to recall Mike Irwin saying Hammonds confirmed he was very limited healthwise up until the ole miss game

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on November 07, 2017, 12:56:20 pm
Are you referring to #8 Trindon Holliday who graduated all the way back in '09 ???

YES THAT HIM  We have kids like these in Ark but the Hogs refuse to recruit them.

1highhog

Are you kidding me?  And Arkansas media member writing a scathing piece about the Coach of Arkansas???  They are scared they will be pulled from the powerful proverbial teet.

wikipedia brown

Quote from: jacobp on November 07, 2017, 01:10:33 pm
I seem to recall Mike Irwin saying Hammonds confirmed he was very limited healthwise up until the ole miss game
shhhh, that doesn't support the Yankee carpetbagger don't want us to win narrative.

Mike Irwin

Because it's nonsense. There are a bunch of problems with the coaching job this staff has done. This ain't one of them. Hammonds was a running back his freshman year. He looked okay in a limited role but he wasn't off the charts good.

They needed receivers last spring so they decided to have him split time at receiver. He was never moved there full time. In fact he had carries before the Ole Miss game this season but no pass receptions. Hammonds himself confirmed after the Coastal Carolina game that he had been hobbled by various nagging (but not serious) injuries until the week before the Ole Miss game. He said he had not been full speed.

This is a case of retro second guessing. It's easy to see the kid should get more touches now. Where were the complaints earlier in the season?

wikipedia brown

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 07, 2017, 02:42:44 pm
Because it's nonsense. There are a bunch of problems with the coaching job this staff has done. This ain't one of them. Hammonds was a running back his freshman year. He looked okay in a limited role but he wasn't off the charts good.

They needed receivers last spring so they decided to have him split time at receiver. He was never moved there full time. In fact he had carries before the Ole Miss game this season but no pass receptions. Hammonds himself confirmed after the Coastal Carolina game that he had been hobbled by various nagging (but not serious) injuries until the week before the Ole Miss game. He said he had not been full speed.

This is a case of retro second guessing. It's easy to see the kid should get more touches now. Where were the complaints earlier in the season?
exactly, there are glaring holes in the team this season; but, it's not like the coaches are actively trying to shoot themselves in the foot. They are doing the best they can with what they have. it doesn't mean they aren't responsible for the holes in recruiting or admonish them from scrutiny, however, it's silly to pretend they aren't trying or don't care.

McBain

I think quite a few fans have been hoping for TJ to get more touches since his first couple of carries last year.  It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to tell that he has gamebreaking ability.

It's just being talked about more now because he finally got a chance to show what most everyone expected he could do.

311Hog

i thought the narrative was that he or a relative etc. were upset about lack of use and almost weekly it has been a "where's Hammond" thread because we sorely lack speed and he has it. Speculation abound about is  he in CBB 's dog house? not #uncommon? etc. etc. people have known for longer than the last 2 weeks that Hammonds should be on the field and have wondered why he wasn't.

IronHog

Staff gets a pass on one kid

They've struggled to get their best players on the field since day one though..... and it's ususlly a kid like Hammonds that's buried

Kevin

countless threads have been on this board all year asking why hammonds was not get more touches. there have been plenty of complaints on here.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

MissippHog

That may be the case, but when you see it at other positions as well you can understand why people feel this way. 

Porkchop#1

I agree it's easy for everyone to see now, so a better coach would have seen it back in August of '16.

That's kind of the entire problem.