Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Meet of Champs Saturday, May 14th, Russellville

Started by Peter Porker, May 09, 2016, 11:47:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Porker

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Pigsfeat

May 09, 2016, 12:32:43 pm #1 Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 04:00:40 pm by Pigsfeat
The times for the boys 3200m little disappointing. I would  guess some of these guys have not been pushed in the longer races. If you can run a 4:15 1600m, you should be able to run much faster than 9:50 3200m. I bet the times will be faster in the MoC finals!
"You don't eat mayonnaise to be healthy!"
E. Neal

HogBreath

Thanks for posting Pete...actually some pretty nice performances from around the state in most events.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

pignparadise

Quote from: Peter Porker on May 09, 2016, 11:47:12 am
Here's a list of the participants. Several recruits listed.

http://members.ahsaa.org/public/userfiles/Track_Field/2016_MOC_Program.htm
Had a conversation a few years back with HOF coach Dave Williams about how track times in Arkansas are slower than they were in the seventies. Take the 110 meter hurdles (120.2 yards), my time of 14.9 would be competitive in this years Meet of Champs. In the seventies you wouldn't even place in the state meet with that time.
"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"

Big Boi

Quote from: pignparadise on May 10, 2016, 09:14:50 am
Had a conversation a few years back with HOF coach Dave Williams about how track times in Arkansas are slower than they were in the seventies. Take the 110 meter hurdles (120.2 yards), my time of 14.9 would be competitive in this years Meet of Champs. In the seventies you wouldn't even place in the state meet with that time.
Outside of my father he has impacted my life, and who I became as much as anyone. I truly miss being able to talk to him.

draftkings33

Quote from: pignparadise on May 10, 2016, 09:14:50 am
[/quote ]
Well that's just not true.  For one thing is FAT timing.  You don't have some redneck football coach timing these days.  I've seen guys run 10.6 hand held and they cant break 11.0 in the 100m FAT time.  Your time of 14.9 in the 110 hurdles wouldnt have even got in the meet of champs

pignparadise

[/quote ]
Well that's just not true.  For one thing is FAT timing.  You don't have some redneck football coach timing these days.  I've seen guys run 10.6 hand held and they cant break 11.0 in the 100m FAT time.  Your time of 14.9 in the 110 hurdles wouldnt have even got in the meet of champs
[/quote]
Wrong Grasshopper It is true. My 14.9 time would have won the 4A, 3A, 2A, 1A state meet. It would have been faster than Trevan Caldwell, Hayden Hampton, Cam Gulley, and Kyle LeBoef. All of which are in the Meet of Champs. Now if you use the following website
http://www.ocmstrackmeet.com/fat-vs-handheld-times.html and convert my time of 14.9 to a FAT time of 15.14, I still beat the same guys.
"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"

draftkings33

Ok first of all you ran 120 yards which is gonna make your time slower.  Next you aren't gonna have some neck timing you also making it slower.  I would put your time around a 15.5

Deep Shoat

Quote from: draftkings33 on May 10, 2016, 02:44:15 pm
Ok first of all you ran 120 yards which is gonna make your time slower.  Next you aren't gonna have some neck timing you also making it slower.  I would put your time around a 15.5
I can already see you add a ton to the site...
All Gas, No Brakes!

ICEman

Quote from: HogBreath on May 09, 2016, 09:29:50 pm
Thanks for posting Pete...actually some pretty nice performances from around the state in most events.
There are several D1 worthy times/heights on that list.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

Peter Porker

Handheld times are so hard to trust. One of the competitors listed ran a handheld 10.58 this season at Magnet Cove. His fastest f.a.t. time is 10.99.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

pignparadise

Quote from: draftkings33 on May 10, 2016, 02:44:15 pm
Ok  mister know it all, I ran 0.2 yards shorter so if  ypu prorate the time ( conservative since Im already running -no start), you add .025 to my coverted time 15.14, I still beat them. But hey you don't believe in numbers or math. You believe in crystal balls and 15.5.

draftkings33

Ok man I will give you a 15.49.  That is still a good time old man

pignparadise

Quote from: draftkings33 on May 10, 2016, 04:10:54 pm
Ok man I will give you a 15.49.  That is still a good time old man
Thanks for the .01 I'll give my final comments cause it really doesn't matter.
1. I never said people were faster back then. They are a lot faster today, however we were pretty much 4 sport guys. Today everybody specializes so many of the best athletes don't run track.
2. I ran my time on a red dog non asphalt track. It would have been  faster on asphalt/rubber track of today.
3. Not all football coaches and timekeepers of the 70's were rednecks.

draftkings33

Quote from: pignparadise on May 10, 2016, 04:19:51 pm
Thanks for the .01 I'll give my final comments cause it really doesn't matter.
1. I never said people were faster back then. They are a lot faster today, however we were pretty much 4 sport guys. Today everybody specializes so many of the best athletes don't run track.
2. I ran my time on a red dog non asphalt track. It would have been  faster on asphalt/rubber track of today.
3. Not all football coaches and timekeepers of the 70's were rednecks.
LOL all good points man.  I'm kinda just messing with you.  One thing that does blow my mind are these football coaches that are anti track.  I will never understand it. 

pignparadise

Quote from: draftkings33 on May 10, 2016, 04:21:40 pm
LOL all good points man.  I'm kinda just messing with you.  One thing that does blow my mind are these football coaches that are anti track.  I will never understand it. 
[/quote
I agree, in my day if you were a back or receiver you had to run track. All lineman were encouraged to be field event guys.

draftkings33

One of the reasons I was never high on the Frazier kid from Springdale was watching him shot put.  Saw him a few times and he got around 48.  At 6-3 315 pounds if you can't do better than that you are not a great athlete

Peter Porker

pigtrino

Quote from: Pigsfeat on May 09, 2016, 12:32:43 pm
The times for the boys 3200m little disappointing. I would  guess some of these guys have not been pushed in the longer races. If you can run a 4:15 1600m, you should be able to run much faster than 9:50 3200m. I bet the times will be faster in the MoC finals!

He has gone 9:23 in the 3200.  Hard to double those distances.  Don't look for the MoC 3200 to break 9:38 which is the second fastest time the state this year.  I witnessed the 9:23 and the 7A state meet but didn't see the 9:38.  Looks like it was close.  The 9:23 wasn't close, more of a time trial with traffic. 

Rocket23

Dont know about the Conway kid, but the Fisher kid from Fayetteville is only a 9th grader.  He'll go 9:35 or better at MOC.

yraciv

I'll agree that AR track stats appear to be down in recent years. My brothers SR year in highschool he could highjump like 6'4 .  Which would have got him Top 5 if he qualified for MOC last year,  His year he would have been 6th or 7th.  The winning jumps were James Anderson and Chris Gragg at 6'9. Last year only 1 guy hit 6'7.  Last year there was only 1 sprinter Henri Murphy thats numbers are up to the Top 4 that year as well.  I don't have time to break down all the numbers, but have noticed a similar trend when glancing at local meets.

Peter Porker

You have highs and lows. I don't think kids are slower than decades ago. I think timing has become more accurate.

Jumps are another issue. I think AAU basketball has hurt that as much as anything.

Pigsfeat

Quote from: pigtrino on May 10, 2016, 09:25:07 pm
He has gone 9:23 in the 3200.  Hard to double those distances.  Don't look for the MoC 3200 to break 9:38 which is the second fastest time the state this year.  I witnessed the 9:23 and the 7A state meet but didn't see the 9:38.  Looks like it was close.  The 9:23 wasn't close, more of a time trial with traffic.
A 9:23 is closer to the time you would expect from someone with a 4:15 1600m. I agree that it is hard to double and run as fast as you can in both events. When I ran in HS (all those years ago, ha) I doubled the 3200 and 1600 until I got to the MoC where I only ran the 3200. I wanted to run my fastest time of the year there. Looks like both 1600 and 3200 could have some very good times at MoC! If the Fischer kid is a 9th grader, he could be something special!
"You don't eat mayonnaise to be healthy!"
E. Neal

draftkings33

Wouldnt be suprised if 4 kids go over 6-7 in high jump at the Meet of Champs.  I agree AAU basketball is hurting track some for sure.  Not to mention hurting basketball

pigtrino

Quote from: Rocket23 on May 11, 2016, 10:59:23 am
Dont know about the Conway kid, but the Fisher kid from Fayetteville is only a 9th grader.  He'll go 9:35 or better at MOC.

I think he is faster than Drew Hunter was in the 9th grade.  He may be the first Arkansas kid to break 4 minutes in the mile.  Still, he managed 9:38 in a tight 3200 meter race.  I don't think he goes faster unless he opts out of the 1600.  For those thinking times are slower, I think a 4:15 is top ten all time in Arkansas High school track.  MoC record is 4:14 (Effurd).  Overall record is 4:10 (Gross).  All of those have been run since 2000.  There are also some fast underclassmen coming up with the Fisher kid out of Fayetteville.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: pigtrino on May 11, 2016, 04:50:53 pm
I think he is faster than Drew Hunter was in the 9th grade.  He may be the first Arkansas kid to break 4 minutes in the mile.  Still, he managed 9:38 in a tight 3200 meter race.  I don't think he goes faster unless he opts out of the 1600.  For those thinking times are slower, I think a 4:15 is top ten all time in Arkansas High school track.  MoC record is 4:14 (Effurd).  Overall record is 4:10 (Gross).  All of those have been run since 2000.  There are also some fast underclassmen coming up with the Fisher kid out of Fayetteville.
IDK about all time Arkansas.  But they are significantly slower than other states.

Of course, that goes a long way to explaining why we struggle to compete for NC's in football.
All Gas, No Brakes!

pigtrino

Quote from: Deep Shoat on May 11, 2016, 04:55:10 pm
IDK about all time Arkansas.  But they are significantly slower than other states.

Of course, that goes a long way to explaining why we struggle to compete for NC's in football.

You mean those states where they vet out the hiring of a high school XC coach like we do a football coach?  I suspect they will always be faster.  I do think track is making a little bit of a resurgence now though, at least nationally.  Sub 4 minute high school milers are popping up all over the place.

By the way, Eric Coston is leading the 1600 in Louisiana with a 4:16.  Some schools in that state recruit pretty well for football.

tbhogfan

I'm not a fan of mutliple-heat "Timed Finals" in the MoC.  It's the Meet of Champions, not the Villonia Relays.   :)
Go Hogs!

Peter Porker

It's a shame so many kids skip the Meet of Champs. I wonder if the AAA can do something to make it more appealing to these athletes.

yraciv

Quote from: Peter Porker on May 16, 2016, 08:34:47 am
It's a shame so many kids skip the Meet of Champs. I wonder if the AAA can do something to make it more appealing to these athletes.

End of school year probably has a huge affect on it..

draftkings33

blu

"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

pignparadise

ricepig