Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I can not and will not defend this.no defense,no wins

Started by forrest city joe, February 03, 2018, 05:20:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

onebadrubi

Quote from: Karma on February 03, 2018, 07:25:28 pm
This fall did you blame the football players for the bad defense, or the coaches?

He blamed the coach. 

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogsanity on February 03, 2018, 11:16:58 pm
Nah they will probably beat Ky or AUb or both and lose to A&M & OM.

We will not beat Auburn. Bruce Pearl will embarrass Mediocre Mike on our home floor just like Will Wade did.

Letsroll1200

It will be good to be back at the Bud. The Hogs have a chance to beat A&M, Auburn and Kentucky that will get them in. Arkansas is tough to beat at home. Go Hogs!

Nickle-Pig

It is on the coach. I don't want to see the presser but I hope he admits it.
Social sites are where cowards go to get a cup of courage.

southeasthog

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 03, 2018, 06:44:40 pm
Arkansas will win 6 of the next 8 games. Mike will get their attention.

Don't go to Vegas any time soon.

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 03, 2018, 09:49:12 am
77 Hogs Loser U 71

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 02, 2018, 10:50:18 am

The hogs will beat LSU

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 31, 2018, 07:00:18 am
Arkansas will win the next 3 games.

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 30, 2018, 05:47:15 pm
Playing with house money. All we need is a split the next two games. Hogs cant miss.

88 Hogs

75 A&M
Quote from: 1990sHogBallChild on March 04, 2023, 04:08:32 pmWe have peaked... lucked his way to two elite 8s by getting the most favorable draws in tourney history. Beat the most over-rated 1 seed in the history of college basketball in Gonzaga who would be a 6 seed if they played in a real conference. Then Muss's other 5 tourney wins are against an average of a 12 seed. A few dozen coaches could have done that. Two losing records in SEC play is as much as MA had in 8 years.

The_Iceman

razorpimp

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 04, 2018, 07:07:37 am
It will be good to be back at the Bud. The Hogs have a chance to beat A&M, Auburn and Kentucky that will get them in. Arkansas is tough to beat at home. Go Hogs!

YEA!!!!!  Just ask LSU....whoops sorry

razorpimp

The problem is not with the defense played in the half court, it really wasn't as horrible as it has been....the problem is with the terrible fastest40 or whatever the hell they play....if CMA would just dump the full court whatever it is...play a half court grind it out style the team would have more energy and play better

Plus go with the lineup of

Macon
Barford
Hall
Bailey
Gafford/Thompson

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: forrest city joe on February 03, 2018, 05:28:26 pm
I have not turned on Mike Anderson. i call things like i see it.the defense is bad and is costing them games.blame the coach all you want,but some of this is effort.defense is hard because it takes more effort.if they don't start getting a lot more stops.they will not win.
Im afraid Mike must take the blame for all of this.  The buck stops with him.  He decides who plays and when players don't play D, Mike decides to leave them in the game with no repercussions .

It's Mike who doesn't make any changes and just continues to watch a team shoot from 3 over and over and over and over.

Also, if Ark was say 21-2 now and ranked in the top 10 and a possible #1 seed was on the line, Mike would be getting kudos and everyone would be saying what a great job Mike is doing. So if he takes the credit if they are good, he gets the blame when they suck.  It's a tough deal but that's why coaches get paid like they do.

If Mike can't figure out a way to take a senior laden team along with a budding star (Gafford) and play some freakin defense and at least not give the opponent a glorified shootaround session from the 3 point line, then he really isn't the coach we all thought he was when we brought him back to Fayetteville.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: southeasthog on February 04, 2018, 08:14:32 am
Don't go to Vegas any time soon.

I called it last year. However, this season I don't see Mike playing his best five. Auburn biggest player is 6'8 and Pearl is just playing his strengths. If you are in love with Beard, start Hall at the 4. Our bigs are left to guard guards anyway. Gafford, Thompson, Thomas all were left to guard Waters yesterday. That's not good defensive basketball. Teams are switching until they get there match up. I haven't seen this team take anything away from opponents on defense. Gafford and Thompson should never be guarding a pg.

fineswine

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 04, 2018, 10:39:05 am
I called it last year. However, this season I don't see Mike playing his best five. Auburn biggest player is 6'8 and Pearl is just playing his strengths. If you are in love with Beard, start Hall at the 4. Our bigs are left to guard guards anyway. Gafford, Thompson, Thomas all were left to guard Waters yesterday. That's not good defensive basketball. Teams are switching until they get there match up. I haven't seen this team take anything away from opponents on defense. Gafford and Thompson should never be guarding a pg.
Pearl is adapting to what he has available, but Mike isn't? That appears to be what you are saying, yet you defend this garbage?

swineology

Mike did it with Portis at the top of the key. Mike is a good dude as was Bret. The game and their stubborness has past the by.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: fineswine on February 04, 2018, 10:44:35 am
Pearl is adapting to what he has available, but Mike isn't? That appears to be what you are saying, yet you defend this garbage?

Mike is my guy. However, he's asking this team to do something that they can't do. You're asking this team to pressure but outside of Macon at guard you don't have the speed to play fast. This has been has worse coaching job at Arkansas. However, 8 games left and I'm banking on Mike to turn it around.

cardsNhogs

We switch every single ball screen so get used to our bigs guarding out on the perimeter while Beard tries to front the post.  MA Can't coach!

cardsNhogs

Quote from: razorpimp on February 04, 2018, 08:23:12 am
The problem is not with the defense played in the half court, it really wasn't as horrible as it has been....the problem is with the terrible fastest40 or whatever the hell they play....if CMA would just dump the full court whatever it is...play a half court grind it out style the team would have more energy and play better

Plus go with the lineup of

Macon
Barford
Hall
Bailey
Gafford/Thompson
There are plenty of problems with our half court defense! Anyone that knows the game can see these problems.

rude1

You called it because you call for a turn around over and over, if it does happen you will eventually be right. You have continually called for it this season, and they have continually failed, yet I don't hear you bragging how much you have been wrong about it this season.

elksnort

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 04, 2018, 11:29:21 am
Mike is my guy. However, he's asking this team to do something that they can't do. You're asking this team to pressure but outside of Macon at guard you don't have the speed to play fast. This has been has worse coaching job at Arkansas. However, 8 games left and I'm banking on Mike to turn it around.
Again, I give you credit for being reasonable (of course you don't need my approval).
I, like most hog fans hope there is a turn around, but I would not to bet on it.

cram224

I don't think ever in my life have I heard the excuse, " Asking his team to do something they can't do". Tell me why we even need a coach. Coaches coach according to the strengths of each team. Teams change every year, players come players go. If Mike can't change to match the skills of each team he is no coach. I would also ask you why Mike didn't recruit the skill set that he need to run his system. Convince me why Mike is your guy.

elksnort

Quote from: cram224 on February 04, 2018, 12:56:28 pm
I don't think ever in my life have I heard the excuse, " Asking his team to do something they can't do". Tell me why we even need a coach. Coaches coach according to the strengths of each team. Teams change every year, players come players go. If Mike can't change to match the skills of each team he is no coach. I would also ask you why Mike didn't recruit the skill set that he need to run his system. Convince me why Mike is your guy.
Crickets

Letsroll1200

Quote from: cram224 on February 04, 2018, 12:56:28 pm

Mike is my guy, good or bad, with or without the Razorbacks. We recruited some good perimeter defenders like Garland and Hardy. With little adjustments, Arkansas is right back in the race. Mike is a good coach and they will reach these young man. I know about the inner working of this team abd I know what Mike has been dealing with in that locker room. Chemistry is better but its been a battle for Mike to get these guys playing together. Just Keep Watching!!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 04, 2018, 03:36:26 pm
Mike is my guy, good or bad, with or without the Razorbacks. We recruited some good perimeter defenders like Garland and Hardy. With little adjustments, Arkansas is right back in the race. Mike is a good coach and they will reach these young man. I know about the inner working of this team abd I know what Mike has been dealing with in that locker room. Chemistry is better but its been a battle for Mike to get these guys playing together. Just Keep Watching!!

Yawn. Watching.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

3of5-2

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 04, 2018, 04:07:53 pm
Yawn. Watching.
I might watch on tv, but I'm done with going to any more games this season.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: 3of5-2 on February 04, 2018, 04:15:53 pm
I might watch on tv, but I'm done with going to any more games this season.

I wouldn't have walked across the street to watch an Anderson team.  Good for you that you've been going.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hawgfan4life

Quote from: hogsanity on February 03, 2018, 05:34:01 pm
Atta boy blame the players. Explain why the players change but we've seen the same issues for almost 7 full seasons. The only constant is the coach.

Coach and lack of top 25 talented team.  MA recruited the team.  That is on him.  However, he had hurdles the first few years and has had a mediocre previous years that make up our senior class.  Recruiting has improved significantly lately and should translate to improved play.  MA is far better than the haters want to believe, but he definitely has issues with this team that fall on his shoulders.  Those saying he has reached his potential are equally bad as anyone who can't see the coaching has areas for improvement.  MA will get it turned or not, but deciding now or based on this season is premature imo.

ChicoHog

[/quote

We know Mike is your guy but can you tell us why?  If it's because he is a good person and role model then I can understand it.  If it's because he's done a good job coaching then I just don't get it.  What has he done over the last 7 years to prove he is a better than an average coach?  I just don't see it.  Whether it's strategy, recruiting, whatever, I just don't get how people can say he has done a good job here.    every year we lose games by double digits that we should win.   Every year we play inconsistent basketball.  We never adjust to our opponent.  We do the same thing over and over again hoping for different results.  It never happens.  When we shoot well we have a good chance of winning but that is it.  We consistently get out rebounded, give up open three's, make stupid fouls 35 feet from the basket, etc. for the last 7 years.  It's the same song over and over again. 

GuvHog

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 03, 2018, 05:59:40 pm

I don't understand it

Oh, I understand it clearly. In fact, I understood it clearly the day Mike Anderson was hired and I wasn't the only one on here who understood it but we were told we didn't know what we were talking about, called crazy, and told to shut up. Look, I wanted badly, BADLY to be proven wrong by Mike Anderson because I'm a dyed in the wool Cardinal Red bleedin' Hog fan who just wants the Hogs to win. Sadly though, he's proven me right. The guy is a good man but he isn't a good head coach.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

bvillepig

He has been a pretty good coach everywhere but here.

Maybe this job is to big except for a Hall of Famer.

HogBreath

Quote from: bvillepig on February 04, 2018, 09:17:23 pm

Do you know how many outright conference championships Mike has won between here, Mizzou and UAB?

None.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

3of5-2

Quote from: HogBreath on February 04, 2018, 09:25:52 pm
Do you know how many outright conference championships Mike has won between here, Mizzou and UAB?

None.
Do you mean ZERO?

logic

Mike has had 7 years to prove he is a quality coach in the SEC and he has failed. He doesn't understand defense. Otherwise, 3 point shooters would be guarded. He had no concept of blocking out. Mike is adequate on offense, but he doesn't have what it takes to coach defense.

After 7 years and little or no improvement, I am ready to see him leave.

swineology

Quote from: logic on February 04, 2018, 10:19:47 pm
Mike has had 7 years to prove he is a quality coach in the SEC and he has failed. He doesn't understand defense. Otherwise, 3 point shooters would be guarded. He had no concept of blocking out. Mike is adequate on offense, but he doesn't have what it takes to coach defense.

After 7 years and little or no improvement, I am ready to see him leave.

"We gonna pick em up when dey get off da bus"

.....Mike Anderson

LOfrickinL

hogsanity

Eddie and Nolan were not hof coaches when they got here. One had been somewhat successful at an independent, Creighton and one had some success at Tulsa. Its not like Ar went out and hired guys who had multiple final 4 appearances before they got here. Resume wise Mike was more accomplished than either of those two at the time of hire. Sadly he's proven to be about 25% the coach either of the other two turned out to be.

Mike is the lefty pitcher that bangs around mlb for 20 years because he does just enough to stay employed. Yet he's only got one pitch and when it isnt working his stuff is meat.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

GuvHog

All anyone has to do is look at Mike's record in his last year at Mizzou to realize that he isn't a very good head coach. Up until he came to Arkansas, that last Missouri team he had was the only team he'd coached that was made up entirely of his recruits. That team lost every conference road game that year except 1 and that was against what was then a horrible Iowa State team. The red flags were there but many refused to see them.

BallHog1

Quote from: Skandar Jackson on February 03, 2018, 10:15:43 pm
If this was any other coach in the history of Razorback Athletics Joe would be ranting and raving about firing the coach.  No one on this earth could convince him of that but everyone who has watched him through the years knows that it's true.  If the defense isn't good, after 7 years, that's on the coach. His players, his system, his defense, his motivational techniques that either are or not working. 

Maybe it will get better. Hopefully it does.  No one needs to waste their breath trying to convince Joe that the current condition of Razorback basketball falls squarely on Mike's shoulders.  7 years. Two NCCA tournament wins.  At what point does even Joe have to admit Mike isn't getting our program back to where we all want it to be.  We're okay. We're always going to be okay.  But after 7 years and having a senior laden team this is what we're seeing it's unlikely anything is going to change drastically as long as Mike is the head coach. Maybe one of these years we win two games in the tournament.  Will that justify 8 or 9 other years of never making any kind of run?  Are we all okay with average or a little above or below depending on the year?

In spite of what Joe thinks about us all we're not all haters.  Almost all of us wanted Mike to come back.  He's a great guy and I wish he would have been named head coach when Nolan left.  Maybe he would have had more to prove at that point in his career than he does now. 

Neither CBB or Anderson seem to have the fire or desire that it takes to get to an elite level in their respective sports.  Morris seems like a guy who is ready to prove himself and if he doesn't it's not going to be from a lack of effort. CBB was fat and lazy. Anderson seems complacent and seems to be okay with being a little above average most years.  If we are ever going to get to an elite level in basketball it is going to take someone hungry...hungrier than Mike Anderson.

Spoken like a true hater. Joe understands loyalty and he understands adversity. You do not. Never have, never will.

bvillepig

You might not like his style of basketball but to say he is not a good coach is just an opinion based on likes and dislikes of styles. He is a good solid coach. Not great just good.  To say he is not a great recruiter is way more accurate.   He gets a lot out of way less talent. You don't make it deep into the NCAA with being a bad coach.

I am not a Mike Anderson lover. I am a Razorback. I respect the job he does with less. Yes its his fault on the recruiting but until it is proven that the U of A can hire a top 10 ten guy that doesn't cheat I am fine with what we have.

Have you not seen the results of that last few coaching searches at the U of A? 

Maybe this athletic director is different but I just don't think the rest of the world sees Arkansas the way we do. Don't throw the were little Arkansas out there because I don't see it that way either.

We are a challenge and recruiting has changed tremendously in the last 15 years.

hogsanity

Quote from: bvillepig on February 05, 2018, 08:34:32 am
You might not like his style of basketball but to say he is not a good coach is just an opinion based on likes and dislikes of styles. He is a good solid coach. Not great just good.  To say he is not a great recruiter is way more accurate.   He gets a lot out of way less talent. You don't make it deep into the NCAA with being a bad coach.

I am not a Mike Anderson lover. I am a Razorback. I respect the job he does with less. Yes its his fault on the recruiting but until it is proven that the U of A can hire a top 10 ten guy that doesn't cheat I am fine with what we have.

Maybe this athletic director is different but I just don't think the rest of the world sees Arkansas the way we do. Don't throw the were little Arkansas out there because I don't see it that way either.

We are a challenge and recruiting has changed tremendously in the last 15 years.

Good coaches are a dime a dozen.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

bkjbearcat

Quote from: GuvHog on February 05, 2018, 06:35:36 am
All anyone has to do is look at Mike's record in his last year at Mizzou to realize that he isn't a very good head coach. Up until he came to Arkansas, that last Missouri team he had was the only team he'd coached that was made up entirely of his recruits. That team lost every conference road game that year except 1 and that was against what was then a horrible Iowa State team. The red flags were there but many refused to see them.

Every MU I talked too would tell me the team quit on MA that last season. There were huge red flags that Akansas fans ignored. In fact I'll say this. If the AR job didn't come up, Mike would of been fired at MU more then likely the next season at MU.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

majp51

Well, you talk as if he had sustained success at multiple locations. This is simply false. He has been at Arkansas for longer than any other coaching stop. The longest before that is 5 years, it is hard to prove you are having sustained success when you are at a school for only that long. One thing interesting is he usually peaks early. Missouri is a perfect example, yeah 3 was his pinnacle, year 4 and 5 were quite mediocre, and the class he had committed in year 6 (before he left) wasn't going to move the needle. Also consider that while yes at UAB and Missouri he did in fact have good records he never won his conference, and only made it out of the first weekend of the NCAA's twice, once at each school. If you look at his record collectively it's just a whole lot of average records with  one truly memorable season (Misouri 2008), and one more really good regular season (Arkansas 2014), but that is it.

16 Seasons total, including this one, and so far a grand total of 2 season in which his teams have made it past the first week of the NCAA tourney.

The numbers don't lie, Mike is an Average coach and in a conference with no truly bad programs, but a lot of mediocre programs, he lacks the coaching acumen and recruiting fortitude, to be able to get above the mediocre mess that is the SEC.

Little Lady Back

I really hope that Mike can turn it around too. Unfortunately, I am just not very confident that will happen this late in the season because our defense, free-throw shooting, lack of rebounding, and lack of ball movement on offense, is absolutely terrible. Hope I am wrong though.
#NolanRichardsonCourt

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: bvillepig on February 05, 2018, 08:34:32 am

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8021169/ranking-nation-top-10-college-basketball-coaching-jobs

This was done in 2012.

5. Arkansas: The Razorbacks have a rich talent area that it can draw from in the region. Arkansas also has as rich a basketball tradition of any program in the SEC outside of Kentucky. The fan base, when there is a worthy product on the floor, can be as passionate as any in the country -- their traveling party in the 90s was truly a sight to see. Bud Walton Arena gives Arkansas one of the toughest homecourts in the country, let alone in the SEC. Arkansas has also been willing to pay its coaches well. This should always be a top-five job in this conference.

Outside media and fans have higher respect and standards for our program than many of our own fans do. 

Since this ranking, BD left Florida, Mizzou had a few horrible seasons and we built the practice facility and have plans to remodel BWA.  So you can form your own opinion where we fall 2-5 in the SEC as far as how good the job is. 

tusksincolorado

Quote from: WBOBO on February 03, 2018, 07:07:06 pm
Something is odd and I can't figure it out.  I will make a determination
after game 3 of the next 3.

THIS!  The team chemistry is way off....
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

tusksincolorado

Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

mizzouman

Quote from: bkjbearcat on February 05, 2018, 08:57:48 am
Every MU I talked too would tell me the team quit on MA that last season. There were huge red flags that Akansas fans ignored. In fact I'll say this. If the AR job didn't come up, Mike would of been fired at MU more then likely the next season at MU.
This is part true and part untrue.

The untrue part is that MA would NOT have gotten fired.  Everyone at MU liked Mike and Mizzou even offered an extension with a good raise that Mike turned down to go to Arkansas.

The true part is that he did not do his best work that last year.  He didn't coach as well, his mannerism was different and he DID NOT recruit a single player.  99% of the people in the AD's office felt that Arkansas informed Mike a year before Pel got fired and Arkansas would be calling.  Mike knew this and pretty much slept walked through that last season. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 05, 2018, 10:00:07 am
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8021169/ranking-nation-top-10-college-basketball-coaching-jobs

This was done in 2012.

5. Arkansas: The Razorbacks have a rich talent area that it can draw from in the region. Arkansas also has as rich a basketball tradition of any program in the SEC outside of Kentucky. The fan base, when there is a worthy product on the floor, can be as passionate as any in the country -- their traveling party in the 90s was truly a sight to see. Bud Walton Arena gives Arkansas one of the toughest homecourts in the country, let alone in the SEC. Arkansas has also been willing to pay its coaches well. This should always be a top-five job in this conference.

Outside media and fans have higher respect and standards for our program than many of our own fans do. 

Since this ranking, BD left Florida, Mizzou had a few horrible seasons and we built the practice facility and have plans to remodel BWA.  So you can form your own opinion where we fall 2-5 in the SEC as far as how good the job is. 

It is good enough to attract a up and coming young coach, just like it did with Eddie and Nolan. It is maybe good enough to attract a successful established coach wanting to move up. It is not good enough to hire a average coach, over pay, and then give 7+ years to get commensurate results. It is not good enough to land a current top level coach.

GuvHog

Quote from: majp51 on February 05, 2018, 09:37:14 am
Well, you talk as if he had sustained success at multiple locations. This is simply false. He has been at Arkansas for longer than any other coaching stop. The longest before that is 5 years, it is hard to prove you are having sustained success when you are at a school for only that long. One thing interesting is he usually peaks early. Missouri is a perfect example, yeah 3 was his pinnacle, year 4 and 5 were quite mediocre, and the class he had committed in year 6 (before he left) wasn't going to move the needle. Also consider that while yes at UAB and Missouri he did in fact have good records he never won his conference, and only made it out of the first weekend of the NCAA's twice, once at each school. If you look at his record collectively it's just a whole lot of average records with  one truly memorable season (Misouri 2008), and one more really good regular season (Arkansas 2014), but that is it.

16 Seasons total, including this one, and so far a grand total of 2 season in which his teams have made it past the first week of the NCAA tourney.

The numbers don't lie, Mike is an Average coach and in a conference with no truly bad programs, but a lot of mediocre programs, he lacks the coaching acumen and recruiting fortitude, to be able to get above the mediocre mess that is the SEC.

As I stated earlier, there were red flags all over the place when Anderson was hired but the Huggers refused to see them. They saw only what they wanted to see which in their minds was the return of Nolan's "40 Minutes of Hades" basketball style. There was never any chance of that happening because the additional time outs and rule changes have rendered that style of play ineffective.

hogsanity

Quote from: GuvHog on February 05, 2018, 11:09:24 am
They saw only what they wanted to see which in their minds was the return of Nolan's "40 Minutes of Hades" basketball style. There was never any chance of that happening because the additional time outs and rule changes have rendered that style of play ineffective.

when did college go to 4 tv timeouts per half? I keep seeing this as an excuse for that style not working, but I'd swear they have been using 4 per half for 30 years. The # of team timeouts have not changed in a long time either.

Otis

Quote from: hogsanity on February 05, 2018, 11:34:07 am
when did college go to 4 tv timeouts per half? I keep seeing this as an excuse for that style not working, but I'd swear they have been using 4 per half for 30 years. The # of team timeouts have not changed in a long time either.

It's just become atalking point. Not sure how extra timeouts, even if there are a few, has any effect on switching every screen, leaving shooters wide open because of mismatches etc...

ChicoHog

Quote from: hogsanity on February 05, 2018, 11:34:07 am
The number of team timeouts reduce from 5 to 4 a couple years ago.  Not sure about when the media timeouts changed but I think they have been the same for at least 20-25 years.  The first dead ball after 16 minutes, 12 minutes, 8 minutes and 4 minutes.  It's a BS excuse for fans about Anderson's style of play. 

hogsanity

Quote from: ChicoHog on February 05, 2018, 11:45:02 am
The number of team timeouts reduce from 5 to 4 a couple years ago.  Not sure about when the media timeouts changed but I think they have been the same for at least 20-25 years.  The first dead ball after 16 minutes, 12 minutes, 8 minutes and 4 minutes.  It's a BS excuse for fans about Anderson's style of play. 

What has hurt the pressing style is that so many more guys are able to CONFIDENTLY handle the ball now. Remember when Nolan and Tark started pressing all time, and the other team would throw it to a 4 or 5 and his eyes would get huge and he could not wait to get rid of the ball like it was a hot rock? Now, they just calmly dribble up court or pass over the top.

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogsanity on February 05, 2018, 11:47:46 am
What has hurt the pressing style is that so many more guys are able to CONFIDENTLY handle the ball now. Remember when Nolan and Tark started pressing all time, and the other team would throw it to a 4 or 5 and his eyes would get huge and he could not wait to get rid of the ball like it was a hot rock? Now, they just calmly dribble up court or pass over the top.

Improved 3 point shooting has hurt this style as well.