Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

out of State hog fans, Make sure you're in the right region!!!!

Started by three, January 27, 2006, 06:06:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

three

The Arkansas-Kentucky game on sunday IS NOT NATIONAL, it's REGIONAL! If you live in the Big 10 or Big East regions, you WILL NOT get the game, you will get Indiana and Minnesota.  Just wanted to make any who don't live in the south aware, this is not a national broadcast.  This probably doesn't apply to very many, but hopefully it helps those in need.
Worrying is like a rocking chair...it gives you something to do, but you don't get anywhere.

WichitaStateRazorback

BloodRedHog

I live in Colorado -- but I bought ESPN Full Court - I better get the game.
Handling all your mortgage and home financing needs...

silvertip

It's sports bar time for some. Check your local listings. If you don't get it, most any big sports lounge can. Anywhere in the USA.

For those not experienced with this---call ahead. If whoever answers is uncertain---ask to speak to whoever is the best at finding games. Don't give up with the first "no" you get---because a lot of cocktail servers don't "know" how to use the satellite system.

Once you find your place, arrive early, say 30 minutes. It might take a while for them to find it. There will be lots of TVs on the "local" games. The bar folks can set you up off to the side with your own TV for the Hawg game. You might even be able to get volume that doesn't interfere with the rest of the folks. Then you're set. WPS!!!

tacomahog

looks like Indiana and Minnesota on the west coast (atleast in the seattle area)

WxHog

Quote from: three on January 27, 2006, 06:06:27 pm
The Arkansas-Kentucky game on sunday IS NOT NATIONAL, it's REGIONAL! If you live in the Big 10 or Big East regions, you WILL NOT get the game, you will get Indiana and Minnesota. Just wanted to make any who don't live in the south aware, this is not a national broadcast. This probably doesn't apply to very many, but hopefully it helps those in need.

Has anybody been able to find a map on the CBS Sportsline website regarding the split coverage?   For those of us that are neither in Big 10 or SEC country, which game are we going to get?   I am afraid that CBS will televise Indiana in all the non-SEC markets, just because they are ranked and neither Arkansas and Kentucky isn't. 

Salty Hog

Whew...I live in Ft. Worth.  Just checked, and it's on here.
Fear The Hog!!!!

HoopS

May I suggest, go to your local cable or satallite providers webpage and try to find the tv guide.  Seems like tv guide has a website that you put in your zip.   Anyway, good luck.

WxHog

Quote from: hoophogs on January 27, 2006, 07:29:48 pm
May I suggest, go to your local cable or satallite providers webpage and try to find the tv guide. Seems like tv guide has a website that you put in your zip. Anyway, good luck.

Good idea.  I used this website:

http://us.rd.yahoo.com/tv/navbar/listings/text/?http://tv.yahoo.com/grid/

Just type in your zip code.  Find your CBS affiliate at Noon Sunday and click on it.   It should say if it is going to be Arkansas-Kentucky or Indiana-Minnesota.   Sounds like many of the affiliates in Texas are carrying Arkansas. 

HamShank

According to espn.com, Arkansas vs. Kentucky isn't listed to play on Full Court on Sunday.  ...Then why the hell do I have it?

Pyotr Tchaikhogsky

$%#^!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who gives a $%#^ about Indiana and Minnesota!!??  I've been looking forward to seeing this game all year and it never crossed my mind that it would be a regional telecast until I read your post.  I'm in Big 10(11) country and sure enough they're showing friggin Hoosiers vs. Gophers.  Wasn't it national last year?  I was in DC last year and was able to watch the game in my hotel.  This SUCKS!!!!!!!
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink.  When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."  -Frank Sinatra

three

Quote from: BigNasty56187 on January 27, 2006, 06:19:48 pm
I live in Big 12...what game will I get?
Big 12 SHOULD have the Arkansas game, just because Arkansas is so close geographically to most Big 12 states.  However, Indiana is ranked 11th, it's not like they're 24th or something, so there is a very good chance you will get screwed watching just about the most boring brand of basketball on the market.

That earlier post about tvguid was right on.  Go to tvguide.com, and you can type in your zip, and select the top cable provider of the area, and it will tell you what your local CBS affiliate is showing.
Worrying is like a rocking chair...it gives you something to do, but you don't get anywhere.

Pyotr Tchaikhogsky

Does anyone know if a sports bar might have both CBS games or am I just S.O.L.?
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink.  When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."  -Frank Sinatra

three

Quote from: Russ Swinegold on January 27, 2006, 09:25:36 pm
They'll have both CBS games, no worries.  You may get stuck on like the 16" tube in the corner with a bunch of annoying Big 10 fans around, but you'll get the game.  Plus, if you live where they're showing Ind-Minn instead of Ark-Ken, it should be mostly hog fans, all the "other fans" will be at home:)

Pyotr Tchaikhogsky

Thanks, three.  Guess I'll have to go yell and scream at the local sports bar instead of at home.  Somehow I doubt there will be any other hog fans in Madison, WI.  I need to show these midwesterners what hog fans are all about.  GO HOGS. BEAT 'TUCKY.

three

Russ, I was in Minnesota the weekend we played Bama in FB, and I could barely get a score, let alone highlights!! I don't know how you do it up there, I would lose my mind!!  It was bad enough living in Florida and Texas, where you're so close you can hear the hog calls, and yet you're still completely ignored!!  I couldn't stand living in a place where the quality of sports is so much more boring, not necessarily worse, cuz those teams are good, but they are boring!!!  Do you even get very many SEC games??  I hope you have satellite or something! You're a bigger man than me, Russ!

silvertip

Russ, I have a lengthy post above (reply #3), which tells you most of what you need to know about the sports bar experience. Are you in Madison, Wisc? That was one great party town in 1969 and I'm sure it still is.

I can't imagine you would have any trouble finding several good sports bars. The bigger & cleaner, the better. If you have time Saturday, get out the yellow pages and scout a couple. IT WILL WORK.

I have seen Hawg BB & FB games this way in Massachusetts, Conneticut, PA, Michigan, Colorado, Montana, Arizona, California, as well as Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver, and by gawd Saskatoon, Canada.

The key is too talk to the manager/supervisor. Waitresses might tell you they can't get the game. Politely ask to talk to the (typically) man who knows how to handle the satellite system. It may take 15-30 minutes for them to get that person to you & for him to find the game. But the guy that knows how, has done it dozens of times. They're happy to do it for you. Enjoy the game. I bet there's at least 5 bars in Madison that can do this for you. WPS!!!!   

three

Quote from: silvertip on January 27, 2006, 09:53:23 pm

Russ, I have a lengthy post above (reply #3), which tells you most of what you need to know about the sports bar experience. Are you in Madison, Wisc? That was one great party town in 1969 and I'm sure it still is.

I can't imagine you would have any trouble finding several good sports bars. The bigger & cleaner, the better. If you have time Saturday, get out the yellow pages and scout a couple. IT WILL WORK.

I have seen Hawg BB & FB games this way in Massachusetts, Conneticut, PA, Michigan, Colorado, Montana, Arizona, California, as well as Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver, and by gawd Saskatoon, Canada.

The key is too talk to the manager/supervisor. Waitresses might tell you they can't get the game. Politely ask to talk to the (typically) man who knows how to handle the satellite system. It may take 15-30 minutes for them to get that person to you & for him to find the game. But the guy that knows how, has done it dozens of times. They're happy to do it for you. Enjoy the game. I bet there's at least 5 bars in Madison that can do this for you. WPS!!!!
That's exactly right, I've spent the last 12 years following the hogs that way, saw every single basketball game on TV from 1992-1997 thanks to a couple of sports bars in Florida and Texas.  If the guy has a tough time finding it, you can always call the Assignment/Information desk at the network carrying the game (CBS in this case) and ask for the coordinates, a lot of times that will work.  But a good bar will know how to get the game for you.  If you're the minority, you may have to settle for a small TV, but it's a lot better than the internet listening to Nail and Sunshine Pumping Schaeffer!!

Pyotr Tchaikhogsky

Thanks for your help guys.  There are some great sports bars in Madison.  I'll call around tomorrow and see who can pick it up.  It has been tough to keep up with even the SEC games up here, much less the Arkansas games.  I broke down and paid for a RazorZone subscription even though I can hardly afford it.  I didn't realize they wouldn't have any live video though.  I've been able to travel back to Fayetteville for a couple football games since I graduated in '04, but last year was the first season that I didn't go to a single basketball game since '96!!  I'm just in Madison for grad school so I'm sure I'll be living somewhere else before too long.  Madison is a great town to live in, but I gotta be able to watch my hogs!

socalhogcaller

Quote from: BloodRedHog on January 27, 2006, 06:34:16 pm
I live in Colorado -- but I bought ESPN Full Court - I better get the game.

I have Full Court too, but they only do small market (ie. JP Sports) and ABC games...this telecast is owned by CBS.  I doubt CBS is going to do ABC/ESPN any favors.

silvertip

Quote from: Russ Swinegold on January 27, 2006, 10:26:54 pm
Thanks for your help guys. There are some great sports bars in Madison. I'll call around tomorrow and see who can pick it up. It has been tough to keep up with even the SEC games up here, much less the Arkansas games. I broke down and paid for a RazorZone subscription even though I can hardly afford it. I didn't realize they wouldn't have any live video though. I've been able to travel back to Fayetteville for a couple football games since I graduated in '04, but last year was the first season that I didn't go to a single basketball game since '96!! I'm just in Madison for grad school so I'm sure I'll be living somewhere else before too long. Madison is a great town to live in, but I gotta be able to watch my hogs!

Hey Russ, about Madison. I worked a couple summers in Wisconsin the first time I went to college. Late 60s. The big attraction for me being that the beer-drinking age was 18.

My question---STATE STREET?? I do believe that's the name. From the University to the State Capitol square. It was like Dickson St x 10. And all those UW co-eds runnin' up and down the Street on those warm summer nights. Some kind of strange smokey smell in the air. Not that I ever inhaled.

Tell me. Is it still that way?

WindyCityHog

Russ...

Try The Brat Stop in Kenosha if you are ever down that way....

Otherwise, you're in the same boat as me....PPV.

You ain't that far away....Us Midwesterners need to plan a get together.....Joe"s On Weed Street in Chicago has a Hog alumni club....I was there a couple of years ago to watch the Hog-TX game.....we should get together.....

HornetHog is in Naperville....chitownhog is in Carpentersville....and there's a few others.

Pyotr Tchaikhogsky

Quote from: silvertip on January 28, 2006, 12:58:50 am

Hey Russ, about Madison. I worked a couple summers in Wisconsin the first time I went to college. Late 60s. The big attraction for me being that the beer-drinking age was 18.

My question---STATE STREET?? I do believe that's the name. From the University to the State Capitol square. It was like Dickson St x 10. And all those UW co-eds runnin' up and down the Street on those warm summer nights. Some kind of strange smokey smell in the air. Not that I ever inhaled.

It is indeed still that way.  Except of course the drinking age.  State Street is rockin every weekend.  Was State Street Brats there when you were there in the 60's?  That's the local favorite.  It's a great place to watch Badger games, eat brats, drink tasty Wisconsin beer, and munch on the free popcorn they always have.  Actually my favorite place to go is the student union.  They have a bar and live music.  And when the weather is warm, they open up a second bar out on the terrace on Lake Mendota and set up a stage for live bands.  When I came up here two years ago to look for an apartment, I met some other grad students and they invited me to go out with them to the union.  I said, "the union?"  I was expecting to see something like we had in Fayetteville.  Little did I know this was on a whole new level.  The place is packed every weekend.  I guess since you were only there in the summer, you never experienced a Halloween on State Street.  It's CRAZY!  It's the third largest party in the country behind New Years Eve Times Square, and Mardi Gras in New Orleans.  Plus everyone's in costumes, most of them X-rated.  It's actually gotten a little out of hand in the last few years.  After the bars close people start setting fires and stuff in the street and they have to send in the riot police with pepper spray.  But it's really fun as long as you leave before they start the rioting!

Pyotr Tchaikhogsky

Quote from: WindyCityHog on January 28, 2006, 01:03:51 am
You ain't that far away....Us Midwesterners need to plan a get together.....Joe"s On Weed Street in Chicago has a Hog alumni club....I was there a couple of years ago to watch the Hog-TX game.....we should get together.....

HornetHog is in Naperville....chitownhog is in Carpentersville....and there's a few others.

It would be great to get together and watch games with fellow hog fans.  My wife and I are always stuck watching or listening by ourselves.  My wife has family in Elgin, but they're not hog fans.  My friends watched the USC game with us, but that turned out to be embarrassing.  I think they felt sorry for me!  Maybe we could set something up for the SEC tourney or NCAA's.  HOPEFULLY, the hogs will be fortunate enough to make the field of 65 this year.

Kuck Fentucky

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

January 28, 2006, 02:24:01 am #24 Last Edit: January 28, 2006, 03:04:16 pm by notshavintilnuttgo
Quote from: BigNasty56187 on January 27, 2006, 06:19:48 pm
I live in Big 12...what game will I get?

The "Nutt Hugger Invitational Championshig Game"
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

WindyCityHog

Quote from: Russ Swinegold on January 28, 2006, 02:21:02 am
Quote from: WindyCityHog on January 28, 2006, 01:03:51 am

It would be great to get together and watch games with fellow hog fans.  My wife and I are always stuck watching or listening by ourselves.  My wife has family in Elgin, but they're not hog fans.  My friends watched the USC game with us, but that turned out to be embarrassing.  I think they felt sorry for me!  Maybe we could set something up for the SEC tourney or NCAA's.  HOPEFULLY, the hogs will be fortunate enough to make the field of 65 this year.

Kuck Fentucky

Let's hope we have something to root for in the NCAA's....

cityhog

stronguard

UNC vs AZ is on Saturday, the Hogs spank the Wildcats on Sunday.
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

silvertip

Quote from: Russ Swinegold on January 28, 2006, 02:10:37 am
Quote from: silvertip on January 28, 2006, 12:58:50 am

It is indeed still that way.  Except of course the drinking age.  State Street is rockin every weekend.  Was State Street Brats there when you were there in the 60's?  That's the local favorite.  It's a great place to watch Badger games, eat brats, drink tasty Wisconsin beer, and munch on the free popcorn they always have.  Actually my favorite place to go is the student union.  They have a bar and live music.  And when the weather is warm, they open up a second bar out on the terrace on Lake Mendota and set up a stage for live bands.  When I came up here two years ago to look for an apartment, I met some other grad students and they invited me to go out with them to the union.  I said, "the union?"  I was expecting to see something like we had in Fayetteville.  Little did I know this was on a whole new level.  The place is packed every weekend.  I guess since you were only there in the summer, you never experienced a Halloween on State Street.  It's CRAZY!  It's the third largest party in the country behind New Years Eve Times Square, and Mardi Gras in New Orleans.  Plus everyone's in costumes, most of them X-rated.  It's actually gotten a little out of hand in the last few years.  After the bars close people start setting fires and stuff in the street and they have to send in the riot police with pepper spray.  But it's really fun as long as you leave before they start the rioting!

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Southerners wouldn't believe the berr-in-the-student-union thingy.

My memory is always spotty. But somehow---Gargano's Pizza has always stuck in my mind. On State Street. When things got staggery, duck into Gargano's, refuel, and hit the street again. Ahh, thinks for the update. I would do it again.