Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Say what you want about our seed....

Started by Rod6275, March 11, 2018, 09:48:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rod6275

But OSU got screwed....and OU gets in????  I a Hog homer....thought we had one or two more wins... 6 seed or better .... that said Detroit ....not the best fan base.
Choose This Day Who you will Serve...As For Me...It  Is The Hogs !

King Kong

Randohoggie

OU doesn't deserve to be anywhere near the tournament.  If their early season was awesome enough to overcome the last two months of being crappy, then we should get some of that glory for having been the only team to beat them then.

tomw

and texas got i n???   osu got screwed on that selection

hogsanity

OSU had a RPI of almost 90. Any team that is good enough ti beat KU twice should not have 14 loses. Their best ooc win was Fla St.

I am not saying Ou should be in or TX, but OSU has only their inconsistency to blame.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

colbs

Quote from: hogsanity on March 12, 2018, 09:10:01 am
OSU had a RPI of almost 90. Any team that is good enough ti beat KU twice should not have 14 loses. Their best ooc win was Fla St.

I am not saying Ou should be in or TX, but OSU has only their inconsistency to blame.
Here is my thing though, if RPI is the main thing why isn't USC in?  Why didn't Arkansas get a higher seed than Florida?  It seems the criteria is different for each team.  It just seems really inconsistent. 

hogsanity

Quote from: colbs on March 12, 2018, 09:17:13 am
Here is my thing though, if RPI is the main thing why isn't USC in?  Why didn't Arkansas get a higher seed than Florida?  It seems the criteria is different for each team.  It just seems really inconsistent. 

RPI is not the main thing, it was the only stat on OSU I could remember from the discussion last night. USC had the problem of not beating any of the top 4 teams in the PAC12 ( a league that only got 3 in and only had one definite going into the weekend ) and only had 5 quality wins.

This also shows why, when people say the football playoff should go to 8 or 12 or 16 I just laugh. The 1st 3 or 4 teams left out are always going to cry and people are always going to say this team or that got ripped off, no matter how many teams get in.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

311Hog

Pigsknuckles

OU getting in over OSU was a head scratcher, even though OSU lost badly to OU early, but you are who you play. OSU ended up in the minus column in conference, didn't win 20 games, and did poorly on the road. Had a couple good wins, but a couple inexplicable losses. They qualified as a bubble team.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

colbs

Quote from: hogsanity on March 12, 2018, 09:23:22 am
RPI is not the main thing, it was the only stat on OSU I could remember from the discussion last night. USC had the problem of not beating any of the top 4 teams in the PAC12 ( a league that only got 3 in and only had one definite going into the weekend ) and only had 5 quality wins.

This also shows why, when people say the football playoff should go to 8 or 12 or 16 I just laugh. The 1st 3 or 4 teams left out are always going to cry and people are always going to say this team or that got ripped off, no matter how many teams get in.
I know it's a combination of things but still IMO they are inconsistent.  USC had a very good RPI, finished 2nd in conference, and finished 2nd in conference tournament.  It seemed like Okie State main knock was their RPI.  If the RPI held so much weight then why didn't that put USC over the hump?  AZ State & OU struggled at the end of the season but were rewarded for how they played in Non-conference.

Then Arkansas gets a worse seed than Florida and the same as A&M.  It's not a huge deal but makes you scratch your head.

onebadrubi

Ou is in only because the media has hyped that guard up all year so hard.  The NCAA did everything they could do to get that kid in the tournament.   

311Hog

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 12, 2018, 09:39:07 am
Ou is in only because the media has hyped that guard up all year so hard.  The NCAA did everything they could do to get that kid in the tournament.   

^ they didn't want another Ben Simmons situation.

GoHogzzGo

Quote from: colbs on March 12, 2018, 09:38:45 am
I know it's a combination of things but still IMO they are inconsistent.  USC had a very good RPI, finished 2nd in conference, and finished 2nd in conference tournament.  It seemed like Okie State main knock was their RPI.  If the RPI held so much weight then why didn't that put USC over the hump?  AZ State & OU struggled at the end of the season but were rewarded for how they played in Non-conference.

Then Arkansas gets a worse seed than Florida and the same as A&M.  It's not a huge deal but makes you scratch your head.

Completely agreed well said.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

311Hog

If we get to the sweet 16 we will definitely have earned it.  Butler and probably Purdue are good teams it will be real fun to watch.

hogsanity

Quote from: colbs on March 12, 2018, 09:38:45 am

Does not make me scratch mine, since it has been happening for as long as I can remember in the ncaat selection process. Every year there are handful of teams that get in or left out that people look at at wonder why. This year its OU/AZ/Syr in and OSU/USC and MTSU out. Flip them around and the conversation would be about why OSU/USC/MTSU got in and 3 other teams got left out.

My gripe is with the whole RPI/BPi thing to begin with. Both, but especially RPi are pretty easy to manipulate through scheduling. I will use the Hogs just because I follow them ( and this is not a Hog bash so everyone calm down ) they can schedule a team like Bucknell, likely to do well in their league and that plays a tough ooc schedule, to come to BWA. Not a game the Hogs are likely to lose at home, but one that helps the rpi. It is still a rent a win. Also get a Minn team that was highly overrated, came in ranked in the early part of the season and I think they missed the post season entirely, yet still had a rpi of their own around 100, so it helps the Hogs RPI, yet it was not really a quality game.

Scheduling has become a game all by itself, really. Try to find the least threatening teams you can, that will themselves have rpi of 100 or so. Just avoid anyone like Southern that will have a rpi of 300. And to that end, neither OSU or USC played the scheduling game very well this season.

Atlhogfan1

OU got in because of Trae Young. This tourney is still about entertainment and $.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 12, 2018, 09:56:06 am
OU got in because of Trae Young. This tourney is still about entertainment and $.

Exactamundo! Cash rules everything around me.
Hogs up! Covid down!

greenEGnHAWGS

Bingo. Even one of the Espn analysts said this.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

Pigsknuckles

Same can be said about Alabama. Sexton became a media darling following his buzzer beater against aTm.

rljjr

I don't care who should have gotten OU's spot. My gripe is that OU made the tournament at all.

An OOC SOS of 129. 2-8 in their last 10 games.

Zero wins in 10 tries away from home (and neutral court in Big12 Tourney) since Jan 1 when the conference schedule started to get hard.

2 wins away from home and 3 wins on neutral courts ALL BEFORE Jan 1 when the schedule was easier. 

7 wins in 19 games 2018.

But that's all said and done. Better teams are sitting at home or going to the NIT. The NCAA had no answers other than "body of work." It makes me wonder if the FBI has even scratched the surface of the corruption in NCAA basketball.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on March 12, 2018, 10:45:34 am
Same can be said about Alabama. Sexton became a media darling following his buzzer beater against aTm.

Yes they wanted Sexton in the tourney.  And they setup a Sexton vs Brunson matchup if Bama wins their first game.  Bama has 15 losses which I think ties for most ever for an at large team or close.  Yet they got a 9 seed.  I think they deserved to be in but as a 9? 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 12, 2018, 10:50:44 am
Yes they wanted Sexton in the tourney.  And they setup a Sexton vs Brunson matchup if Bama wins their first game.  Bama has 15 losses which I think ties for most ever for an at large team or close.  Yet they got a 9 seed.  I think they deserved to be in but as a 9? 

Yeah, still trying to wrap my head around that 9 seed. As you suspect, just trying to get Sexton deeper in the tourney I suppose.

311Hog

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on March 12, 2018, 10:57:23 am
Yeah, still trying to wrap my head around that 9 seed. As you suspect, just trying to get Sexton deeper in the tourney I suppose.

i think they know that they are both 1 and done teams, but want to "sell" them on the run up to the start of the tourney.

Looking at the brackets you can really see the parity i know it gets said every year, but this field looks really good top to bottom.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on March 12, 2018, 10:57:23 am

It is a made for tv event.  The committee always likes their storylines. 

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: 311Hog on March 12, 2018, 11:03:06 am
i think they know that they are both 1 and done teams, but want to "sell" them on the run up to the start of the tourney.

Looking at the brackets you can really see the parity i know it gets said every year, but this field looks really good top to bottom.

Even with Sexton, I was really hoping for Alabama in the Semi-Finals.Still, who would have figured the Vols to shoot 76% in the first half, and go 7 for 8 on threes? Geez.

hogsanity

Quote from: rljjr on March 12, 2018, 10:46:17 am

Better teams are sitting at home or going to the NIT.

Better based on what? Record? Head to head? Perception? OSU lost to KSU twice and TCU twice and to Baylor twice and lost 14 games overall.

colbs

Quote from: hogsanity on March 12, 2018, 09:53:17 am
Does not make me scratch mine, since it has been happening for as long as I can remember in the ncaat selection process. Every year there are handful of teams that get in or left out that people look at at wonder why. This year its OU/AZ/Syr in and OSU/USC and MTSU out. Flip them around and the conversation would be about why OSU/USC/MTSU got in and 3 other teams got left out.

My gripe is with the whole RPI/BPi thing to begin with. Both, but especially RPi are pretty easy to manipulate through scheduling. I will use the Hogs just because I follow them ( and this is not a Hog bash so everyone calm down ) they can schedule a team like Bucknell, likely to do well in their league and that plays a tough ooc schedule, to come to BWA. Not a game the Hogs are likely to lose at home, but one that helps the rpi. It is still a rent a win. Also get a Minn team that was highly overrated, came in ranked in the early part of the season and I think they missed the post season entirely, yet still had a rpi of their own around 100, so it helps the Hogs RPI, yet it was not really a quality game.

Scheduling has become a game all by itself, really. Try to find the least threatening teams you can, that will themselves have rpi of 100 or so. Just avoid anyone like Southern that will have a rpi of 300. And to that end, neither OSU or USC played the scheduling game very well this season.
Agree 100% on the RPI.  You almost get more credit for playing a bunch of teams with an RPI of 100 but all winnable games than you do if you play say a Kanasas, Arizona, and then 10 teams with an RPI of 200 or worse.  To me the tougher schedule is the 2nd one.

hogsanity

Quote from: colbs on March 12, 2018, 12:30:39 pm
Agree 100% on the RPI.  You almost get more credit for playing a bunch of teams with an RPI of 100 but all winnable games than you do if you play say a Kanasas, Arizona, and then 10 teams with an RPI of 200 or worse.  To me the tougher schedule is the 2nd one.

And now St Marys' is crying because they can't get good teams to play them home and home. Well then, just go play them on the road.