Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wish our Hogs had something like this

Started by 12247, October 06, 2017, 10:59:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Nice article in the Tulsa World about TCU and how they've gone from unranked to #8 in 4 weeks with wins over the Hogs and  then #6 OSU, both on the road.  The players say that OSU was just a slice of what they plan to do, as indicated on the poster.

HC Patterson utilizes a Pyramid of Goals poster each season that is hung in the team meeting room and every player signs it.  Paterson modeled his poster after John Wooden's Pyramid of Success he used at UCLA to win 10 NCAA Titles in Basketball.  The Pyramid starts out all white poster board.  It has 9 levels of success.  The bottom 3 levels are based on off-season and off-field building blocks, like ATTITUDE, CHEMISTRY, AND ACCOUNTABILITY.  On the row labeled Don't Back Down is to mark the 5 road conference games.  The Big win over OSU only gets a small color in Purple to mark off so the players can see the success but can still see the majority of the board is still white, indicating there is still much to be accomplished.  The players can see where they've been and where they are going.  Right now that poster is still mostly white and each player can see what needs to be done.  The poster reminds them daily that a strong program must have a solid foundation.

One player says its easy to see how well you've built the foundation with a glance.  All that white and so little Purple.  It isn't aesthetic to look at mostly white but the more Purple you get on it, the better it looks.  Paterson says the poster is like a road map in that it shows you where you are starting and where you wish to go.

Inhogswetrust

EVERY coach uses some sort of motivational ploy.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: 12247 on October 06, 2017, 10:59:12 am
Nice article in the Tulsa World about TCU and how they've gone from unranked to #8 in 4 weeks with wins over the Hogs and  then #6 OSU, both on the road.  The players say that OSU was just a slice of what they plan to do, as indicated on the poster.

HC Patterson utilizes a Pyramid of Goals poster each season that is hung in the team meeting room and every player signs it.  Paterson modeled his poster after John Wooden's Pyramid of Success he used at UCLA to win 10 NCAA Titles in Basketball.  The Pyramid starts out all white poster board.  It has 9 levels of success.  The bottom 3 levels are based on off-season and off-field building blocks, like ATTITUDE, CHEMISTRY, AND ACCOUNTABILITY.  On the row labeled Don't Back Down is to mark the 5 road conference games.  The Big win over OSU only gets a small color in Purple to mark off so the players can see the success but can still see the majority of the board is still white, indicating there is still much to be accomplished.  The players can see where they've been and where they are going.  Right now that poster is still mostly white and each player can see what needs to be done.  The poster reminds them daily that a strong program must have a solid foundation.

One player says its easy to see how well you've built the foundation with a glance.  All that white and so little Purple.  It isn't aesthetic to look at mostly white but the more Purple you get on it, the better it looks.  Paterson says the poster is like a road map in that it shows you where you are starting and where you wish to go.
Perhaps that could help....certainly couldn't hurt. However, ultimately it comes down to each player and coach performing up to their absolute potential/talent level each and every week. And while we're on the subject...the latter factor continues to be an obvious problem.

greasy_corner

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: greasy_corner on October 06, 2017, 11:10:05 am
Reminds me of this

Maybe those two guys can sue him..............................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hoggish1

In before somebody says it (ploy or not):

Our goal is to be 1-0, then,
2-0, then
3-0 etc.
If 3-1, then
4-1, then
5-1, etc.
If 5-2, then
6-2...

gchamblee

If Bret did this, he would be mocked for it.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: ModestoHOG63 on October 06, 2017, 11:35:04 am
"Man in the Mirror"
Mike Ditka
Chicago Bears

note: but in Bielema's case.....  "Fatman in the Mirror"
Do you feel better by adding that cutsie put down? Gee, I sure hope so 'cause I wouldn't want your day to be incomplete.

HogPharmer

Quote from: greasy_corner on October 06, 2017, 11:10:05 am
Reminds me of this

I wonder if Freeze inherited that? And, if so, where did the hookers fit into that circle?
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

DoctorSusscrofa

Posters are definitely necessary to the success of any team, whether in sports or business. Without them a team might as well just be a group.
I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on October 06, 2017, 01:13:56 pm
Posters are definitely necessary to the success of any team, whether in sports or business. Without them a team might as well just be a group.
That is assuming said posters actually WANT success for said team. This does not necessarily include particular posters actually being more concerned/interested in their own personal agenda(s).

jst01

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on October 06, 2017, 01:21:47 pm
That is assuming said posters actually WANT success for said team. This does not necessarily include particular posters actually being more concerned/interested in their own personal agenda(s).

dude...wrong kind of "posters"... the original message is about a poster hanging on a wall

#1Fan

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on October 06, 2017, 01:21:47 pm
Now that is funny.  Nice spin.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: jst01 on October 06, 2017, 01:26:43 pm
dude...wrong kind of "posters"... the original message is about a poster hanging on a wall
Well my "bad" in misinterpreting the distinction. However, that still doesn't make the comment any less appropriate. Would you deny there are posters (of the internet kind) who ultimately have more invested/interest in their own viewpoints/agenda than that of a particular team?

jst01

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on October 06, 2017, 01:36:33 pm
Well my "bad" in misinterpreting the distinction. However, that still doesn't make the comment any less appropriate. Would you deny there are posters (of the internet kind) who ultimately have more invested/interest in their own viewpoints/agenda than that of a particular team?

I think fans of a team and their team have the same goal - WIN every game.  But fans/internet posters live in the world of "I think..." and "What we should do is..."    The actual team has to live in the real world of what is possible and practical, and in that world there are teams that are way better than yours.  I think fans just want to be relevant in a national perspective so much they say crazy things...myself included sometimes.   

PorkRinds

If only our hogs had a poster and a cool saying we'd have the best defense in the country!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HogPharmer on October 06, 2017, 12:40:20 pm
I wonder if Freeze inherited that? And, if so, where did the hookers fit into that circle?

Both trustable and uncommitted........................

AflacHawg

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 06, 2017, 11:01:04 am

I just don't think Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches are working anymore, perhaps Tacos or Pizza would work better.

Porkchop#1

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 06, 2017, 11:01:04 am
You think even Coach Bielema does?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Porkchop#1 on October 06, 2017, 05:24:53 pm
You think even Coach Bielema does?

He's mentioned something before. I don't remember what it is but he has something. All coaches do. Whether it works or not is a different story.............see post #3.

Porkchop#1

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 06, 2017, 05:48:37 pm
He's mentioned something before. I don't remember what it is but he has something. All coaches do. Whether it works or not is a different story.............see post #3.
I heard his halftime speech goes something like...Gee whiz guys, I sure am sleepy, you guys sleepy?