Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stewart Mandel on what College Football will look like in 10 years . . .

Started by WizardofhOgZ, May 16, 2016, 03:10:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WizardofhOgZ

Inhogswetrust

As far as that one large super conference it will never happen. College administrators which answer to politicians indirectly and sometimes directly as well as those politicians would not let it happen. An eight team playoff might happen at some point. Does he honestly think that politicians in Oklahoma, Mississippi, South Carolina, Texas and other states would let schools in their state get left out.   
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hugo Bezdek

Hogarusa

Very creative, real surprised he included Arkansas in the big group based off the reasoning
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

mhsbc59

Quote from: Hogarusa on May 16, 2016, 03:47:28 pm
Very creative, real surprised he included Arkansas in the big group based off the reasoning
Week we did make a BCS bowl and do very well in attendance
I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

Hawghiggs

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hawghiggs on May 16, 2016, 04:05:05 pm
Waiting for the Big 12 to dissolve.

Tulane might dissolve their football team before that happens............................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

sickboy

I guessed something similar to this a few years back -- nearly verbatim. You can see things changing if you pay attention to the TV rights and cable conversations. I don't know if this is going to happen -- but things are going to change in the next ten years for college football.

PorkRinds

To me, the thing that will cause this to happen is when the NCAA finally goes away. They are crumbling under their own weight at this point.  When the inevitable NCAA crash and burn happens, they'll be forced to do something about having a governing body, and this scenario is as likely as any I would think. 

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 16, 2016, 05:03:28 pm
To me, the thing that will cause this to happen is when the NCAA finally goes away. They are crumbling under their own weight at this point.  When the inevitable NCAA crash and burn happens, they'll be forced to do something about having a governing body, and this scenario is as likely as any I would think. 

I think this is a good possibility.

I think a more likely possibility will occur when a large program rebels vs some irrational charges.
I'm thinking something like when Utah, under Majerus, when he bought lunch for one of his players to discuss a  death in his immediate family, and the NCAA stepped in due to this being a violation.
If a program had a few of these and got a punishment of loss of a scholarship for two years or some such, maybe they say to h*** with this.  Start calling other universities, and the seeds of rebellion are planted.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

hobhog

Paint me as a naysayer. No way can college football afford to jettison all but 24 schools and maintain the interest nationwide as today. And what happens if a school falls on hard times and loses attendance and national interests? They just kick em out and find someone else? Or a school like a TCU or Pitt gets on a 10 year roll? If Hogs didnt make cut I'd hate the top 24 and be bitter and find something else to do onsaturdays other than Hog games(I'd have to keep following them but would boycott top 24).

Hope it never happens, but know TV and money will screw it up somehow....

GoshenHog

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on May 16, 2016, 07:19:24 pm
I think a more likely possibility will occur when a large program rebels vs some irrational charges.
I'm thinking something like when Utah, under Majerus, when he bought lunch for one of his players to discuss a  death in his immediate family, and the NCAA stepped in due to this being a violation.
If a program had a few of these and got a punishment of loss of a scholarship for two years or some such, maybe they say to h*** with this.  Start calling other universities, and the seeds of rebellion are planted.

A similar version of this might be:
NCAA lets Ole Miss off then turns around and hammers another program for a lesser offense.  Several schools then fed up with a governing body that takes several years to invoke seemingly arbitrary penalties.

Hawghiggs

I don't think Mandels version will happen. But I wouldn't mind seeing the conferences contract. These notions that conferences should have 16 or 20 schools in them is foolish. We need to get back to having 8-10 team conferences and playing everyone each year.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 16, 2016, 04:17:04 pm
Tulane might dissolve their football team before that happens……………………….

I doubt that. Now the Public universities might.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Hogarusa on May 16, 2016, 03:47:28 pm

You've been reading Hogville too long, where Arkansas is a stepping stone.  Veteran media pros like Mandel know better.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Torqued pork

Twenty-four teams in a college football superconference would be eight fewer teams than the NFL. That's hard to imagine. I already hate what the pursuit of money is doing to college football.

Pork Twain

Far too much money would be lost by universities and the NCAA in this deal and that is why it will never happen.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Doug

Quote from: InhogswetrustTulane might dissolve their football team before that happens......
What's your rationale for this statement?
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

Dumb ole famrboy

24 school split will never happen. The appeal nationwide is not broad enough. The number of schools will be around 64. Need 64 so that the schools can glean all the basketball TV money also.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Doug on May 17, 2016, 05:59:35 am
What's your rationale for this statement?

It was kind of in jest with only a serious vein to it. It was in response to my thinking Stewarts idea was ridiculous and thus post something else ridiculous. However I did remember the things that have happened there before. In modern times since the 1950's they have never put emphasis on athletics. They have had numerous problems. Primarily with bad hires and athletic governance. Ironically they had some good ones as well like Mack Brown. They had a basketball point shaving scandal. They even tried to get several small private schools to form a new private school conference one time. They came close to doing so before. I knew they had even considered it years ago as it made national news when it happened. This was on their own athletic department website that was in an article that they where given permission to use about the issues there:

"A 14-member blue ribbon committee studied Tulane football for the next few months and voted the night before the 1985 Green Wave-Southern Miss game whether to drop the sport. The vote was a tie.

A week later, before the season-ending game with LSU, another vote was taken, and Tulane football survived by one vote."

I know things have changed since the 80's when that happened but except for one shining year under Tommy Bowden they are still a train wreck of an athletic program. In my opinion they are lucky to even be in the AAC. That being said it is a fantastic school located in a great city with a good faculty with many things to offer. Do I think they should drop athletics? No. I think they should be a FCS member. Then again I think there are several schools that should.

razorbacker3

That is 3 minutes I'll never get back. Stupid fantasy that has no basis. Never happen. Who would even want that?

Hogarusa

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 17, 2016, 01:25:33 am
You've been reading Hogville too long, where Arkansas is a stepping stone.  Veteran media pros like Mandel know better.

Maybe, or i looked at his 4 bullet points. -Hogs appeared in 1 BCS game since '98- lost.  -Not in the top 24 largest fan bases (26th).  -Are in top 24 of attendance (21st). -Not anywhere close to being a large TV market.

Gotta think the Hogs were the 24th team in his make believe 24 team league.
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

TUSKtimes

Hey, here's even a more interesting idea. Why don't we include only power 5 teams on a 12 game schedule and call it big boy football?

Why don't we go to a 9 game conference schedule, just like the Pac 12, Big 12, and Big Ten and quit trying to look like the ACC?

The Big Ten quit playing FCS schools in 2016. That would also stop watering down the SOS in the SEC.

Lots of practical things to do that are already being accomplished on many levels before we joined this dude on his science fiction journey through never-never land. 

Pigsknuckles

"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

bphi11ips

Quote from: Dumb ole famrboy on May 17, 2016, 06:00:42 am
24 school split will never happen. The appeal nationwide is not broad enough. The number of schools will be around 64. Need 64 so that the schools can glean all the basketball TV money also.

This, for the first reason you state.

FBS divides into two 64 team tiers for football. Big 12 dissolves.  Most Big 12 schools are absorbed into top tier.  Battles develop on the fringes as schools like Vanderbilt and Iowa State struggle for position with schools like Boise State and Houston.  Notre Dame has no choice but to fall in line.  Four major football conferences emerge with different names (North, South, East, and West?) to soothe the hurt feelings of Big 12 fans, mostly out of concern for Texas and OU. Conference affiliations realign to re-establish geographic equilibrium and build natural rivalries.

Each conference has two divisions.  Schedule is round robin plus two conference division opponents, one marquee neutral site game, and two lower-tier FBS opponents, with an occasional FCS team sprinkled in when required to round out 12 game regular season scheduling.

"Conference championships" become de jure first round playoff games.  Lower-tier of FBS works same way for football only. "FBS" joins "Division I" as former designation of highest level NCAA football category. "Bowls" in major markets survive as part of playoff system.  Small market bowls dwindle and finally die.

Mandel is off by about 5 years.  Contracts are made to be renegotiated or broken.  Litigation occurs here and there, but most issues are resolved for business reasons.

I miss college football.

Adam Stokes

The comments talk about how you could have it relegated, so that you could kick the lower teams down and bring new ones in. Penalties would also have more weight if you could knock a team down a level for recruiting infractions.  Still don't see it happening, but it would be fun...

bphi11ips

Quote from: Hogarusa on May 17, 2016, 07:40:18 am
Maybe, or i looked at his 4 bullet points. -Hogs appeared in 1 BCS game since '98- lost.  -Not in the top 24 largest fan bases (26th).  -Are in top 24 of attendance (21st). -Not anywhere close to being a large TV market.

Gotta think the Hogs were the 24th team in his make believe 24 team league.

Good research.  You may be right about order, but Mandel also knows Arkansas ranks 18 based upon AP finishes since 1936.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: TUSKtimes on May 17, 2016, 07:58:38 am
Hey, here's even a more interesting idea. Why don't we include only power 5 teams on a 12 game schedule and call it big boy football?

Why don't we go to a 9 game conference schedule, just like the Pac 12, Big 12, and Big Ten and quit trying to look like the ACC?

The Big Ten quit playing FCS schools in 2016. That would also stop watering down the SOS in the SEC.

Lots of practical things to do that are already being accomplished on many levels before we joined this dude on his science fiction journey through never-never land. 

This makes sense......If it were to ever happen.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

DeltaBoy

It is defiantly possible cause Money via TV Rigths is what running this thing right now.   
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

wildturkey8

Interesting that poor lil ol Arkysaw made the cut. I am tired of everyone on Hogville belittling our program. 

PorkRinds

Quote from: wildturkey8 on May 17, 2016, 01:07:49 pm
Interesting that poor lil ol Arkysaw made the cut. I am tired of everyone on Hogville belittling our program.

You could leave.