Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Article on ending the overtime in college football.

Started by ricepig, May 16, 2016, 07:49:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jjdlc

Quote from: ricepig on May 16, 2016, 07:49:08 am
We're in it a few times.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/call-to-end-overtime-in-college-football/

I read the first couple paragraphs and had to make sure i wasn't reading the Onion, or the Rock City Times.  I thought it was satire.  Does the person who wrote that even watch football?  College overtime rules are very good, much better than pro, and no, no one wants a tie.

DeltaBoy

They want to end Over Time cause the Hogs are Masters of OT.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

navyhog24

Torqued pork

Billson would probably rather drive a Prius than a Porsche 911.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 16, 2016, 08:06:37 am
They want to end Over Time cause the Hogs are Masters of OT.

Texas A&M would disagree.

flagstaffhog

Go HOGS Go!

Bacons Rebellion

No CFB overtime:  an unlikely future I don't need to concern myself with.

code red

"Sure, Arkansas' 2-point conversion to beat Ole Miss 53-52 in overtime last season was exciting and nobody will ever forget the wild 4th-and-25 conversion, but why didn't Bret Bielema make that same gutsy decision after pulling within one on a touchdown with 53 seconds left in regulation?

Instead, he kicked the extra point to force the extra period. Ultimately, only good fortune made that look like a good decision."

What a stupid statement.  CBB knew we wouldn't stop em all night...that's why he did it.  53 seconds is an eternity....and we could have actually won in regulation.  WOW.  This is when I quit reading.  This guy is a journalist?
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

FraggleHog

Quote from: navyhog24 on May 16, 2016, 08:07:53 am
Does Robert Shields now work for SDS?

Nailed It! While reading, I had to check to make sure the author wasn't RS... By they way... Who the He!! is Robert Shields????
Calling the Hogs from DFW

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: code red on May 16, 2016, 11:23:17 am
"Sure, Arkansas' 2-point conversion to beat Ole Miss 53-52 in overtime last season was exciting and nobody will ever forget the wild 4th-and-25 conversion, but why didn't Bret Bielema make that same gutsy decision after pulling within one on a touchdown with 53 seconds left in regulation?

Instead, he kicked the extra point to force the extra period. Ultimately, only good fortune made that look like a good decision."

What a stupid statement.  CBB knew we wouldn't stop em all night...that's why he did it.  53 seconds is an eternity....and we could have actually won in regulation.  WOW.  This is when I quit reading.  This guy is a journalist?
The answer to your question about this guy being a journalist is simple. This is exactly Robert Shields writing under an aliases. As to whether or not that really answers the original question, one can draw his/her own conclusion. Personally, I would say an absolute NO WAY!! :-X

bphi11ips

I'm going to disagree with some Hogvillians above who I respect. 

First, I expected, based on the comments, to find a Remedial English-quality piece so often seen on The Internets.  Instead, I found an extraordinarily well written and reasoned article.

Second, although I remember a number of games where the outcome left me feeling as if I had kissed my sister (SMU and pass interference my ass), I always accepted ties as part of the game of football, except where a playoff demanded a victor.  Ties differentiated football from sissy sports like baseball and basketball. 

Third, even though I've enjoyed every second of Arkansas' s exciting overtime victories, the college overtime format itself has never made much sense to me.  As the author points out, the current overtime rules alter the game itself.  College overtime seemed contrived to me from the beginning and still does.

Can we live with ties in college football?  Why not?  Ties happen occasionally in the NFL, the last being a 37-37 deadlock between the Bengals and Panthers. 

In my view, the NFL sudden death format is the way to break a tie.  Flip a coin and keep playing real football, where all elements of the game are in play and a turnover doesn't virtually end the game.  In the rare event neither team scores in 15 minutes, too bad.  Kiss your sister - except in the playoffs.

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

phadedhawg

Overtime is exciting but I can think of a few games where a tie would have seemed a more just end than what the score turned into. 

I don't think there is much risk of them changing it.  OT in college is one of the more exciting moments in sports. 

GolfnHog

I really think the NFL and college rules should be played under the same set of rules. In that, I'd like to see a modification of both rules so the game is decided by a 1/2 quarter of time set on the clock.

The OT is played with 7:30 set on the clock and both teams play the game under normal game rules and at the end of 7:30 the score is what it is. It seems to me it would shorten most of the college OT's that tend to totally giving a false impression of what the actual game, in regulation,  produced.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

GuvHog

The guy that wrote that article sounds like a sore loser Ole Miss fan to me. I very much disagree with him.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

code red

The current OT is fine for college.  These kids aren't playing for money. A quick end is usually the best. 
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

TUSKtimes

This is the new age of 4 team playoff. The last thing we need is a tie-breaking system we have to go to because two teams couldn't settle it on the field. Head to head should be the deciding factor.

Torqued pork

Quote from: TUSKtimes on May 16, 2016, 02:27:10 pm
This is the new age of 4 team playoff. The last thing we need is a tie-breaking system we have to go to because two teams couldn't settle it on the field. Head to head should be the deciding factor.
truth

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: navyhog24 on May 16, 2016, 08:07:53 am
Does Robert Shields now work for SDS?

Let me be the first..................Who the hell is Marky Billson.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Torqued pork on May 16, 2016, 08:19:44 am
Billson would probably rather drive a Prius than a Porsche 911.

He probably drives a Yugo.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ChitownHawg

I agree with the journalist that the rules don't allow for an even playing field. However, I'm not sure how you correct the issue of the team going second gets 4 downs. It is an advantage, but how to remove it? Leave it as is until you know of a better format and ties are not a better format.

I strongly disagree with the ties. Can you imagine the 4th and 5th best teams each having a tie. Now we are bring subjectivity back into the playoff equation in who had the better tie.

Leave OT alone.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

HardingHog

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 16, 2016, 12:41:09 pm
Second, although I remember a number of games where the outcome left me feeling as if I had kissed my sister (SMU and pass interference my ass), I always accepted ties as part of the game of football, except where a playoff demanded a victor.  Ties differentiated football from sissy sports like baseball and basketball.

This logic: Shout out to those soccer players for being the real "men" in athletics!  ;)

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HardingHog on May 16, 2016, 04:00:32 pm
This logic: Shout out to those soccer players for being the real "men" in athletics!  ;)

no kidding..........they flop more than a fish just reeled into a boat.

Theolesnort

What a silly silly man. I wonder if he could come up with a reasonable argument about how kissing your sister would be  a thrilling thing? nuff said
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

MuskogeeHogFan

I'm not a fan of tie games and I favor an OT period to decide a winner, but I have personal reasons for this. State Championship Semi-Final game...we fight back from a 0-14 deficit in the first half to tie the game 14-14 at the end of regulation time.

In those days, in case of a tie they went to "Penetrations", how many times each team had crossed inside the opponents 40 yard line. These too, were tied. Next step they went to the number of first downs that each team had acquired. Tulsa Memorial had 1 more first down than us in regulation and as a result, they were awarded the win and advanced to the state championship game (which they lost) despite the fact that we had gained more yards in the game than they had. I feel certain that since momentum was in our favor in the second half, we would have won an OT period and would have advanced, but we never had the chance.

I like the OT system that determines a winner.
Go Hogs Go!

Murr

hawginbigd1

Always liked the college and HS rules for OT, no changes for me. Always hated the NFL sudden death, new rules are better, but I see nothing fair about the team that wins the coin toss can win the game without the opposing offense having a chance to win.

razorbacker3

In my opinion, the pro overtime rules are terrible. College has it right. If it's not broke, don't fix it.

Dwight_K_Shrute

College overtime is one of the most exciting in sports.  It has also yielded some of the most memorable endings as well.  We just happened to be in several of those. 

What actually gets me more is writer after writer telling us what's wrong with CFB, why, and how they would fix it.  College football is arguably the second most popular sport in the US after the NFL.  But every GD writer attached to an alphabet net or a .com feels the need to try and fix something that isn't broken.  Too many uniformed out of touch opinions.  It's one thing for some message board yayhoo to ramble on about what needs to be changed.  It's another for someone that is supposed to be a professional sound just as if not more ignorant.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

TebowHater

The 61% who win toss win game statistic really should have been the crux of his article. That is a huge disparity. If the rules were fair, obviously, it would be 50:50....I love CFB over time and struggled to keep reading the guy's nonsesne. However...a greater than 10% increase in chance of winning is very non-trivial.

I wonder what the disparity was under the old NFL OT rules

razorbacker3

The team "batting" second effectively gets four downs while the first team on offense gets three. If this isn't enough, if the game remains tied after the first overtime period, the team that "hit" second then keeps possession to start the next period.

Just how does the team with 1st possession only get 3 downs?

Previously given a huge advantage in the first overtime, this team now gets the added advantage of having their already vanquished opponent play defense for a second straight possession.

If it's tied after the 1st OT, then exactly how is the team with the 2nd possession of the 2nd OT already vanquished?

ChitownHawg

Quote from: razorbacker3 on May 16, 2016, 06:36:44 pm

Just how does the team with 1st possession only get 3 downs?

The 1st possession team has to punt on 4th down. If they go for it on 4th and fail then they will lose if the other team kicks a field goal. The 2nd team knows what they have to score for a tie or win.

Quote from: razorbacker3 on May 16, 2016, 06:36:44 pm

If it's tied after the 1st OT, then exactly how is the team with the 2nd possession of the 2nd OT already vanquished?

Their defense basically has not come off the field. Their offense will now be the 2nd possession team.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

ricepig

Quote from: ChitownHawg on May 16, 2016, 06:50:36 pm
The 1st possession team has to punt on 4th down. If they go for it on 4th and fail then they will lose if the other team kicks a field goal. The 2nd team knows what they have to score for a tie or win.

Their defense basically has not come off the field. Their offense will now be the 2nd possession team.

Nobody punts on 4th down from the opponent 25ish, even if they've lost yardage, you try a long FG. I think you're thinking of the NFL OT.

AlexTejater7

And we're giving this man clicks. Shame on us!!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: ricepig on May 16, 2016, 07:02:40 pm
Nobody punts on 4th down from the opponent 25ish, even if they've lost yardage, you try a long FG. I think you're thinking of the NFL OT.

You are correct. I was mainly trying to say most don't go for it on 4th. Most.  ;)

sw403

This is all about being fair to the players.  Overtime is "extra effort" and hard fought.  Every team should get a national championship trophy at the end of the year.  Shouldn't have to be earned. 
This stuff makes me sick! :puke:

Pigsknuckles

Accepting a tie game final outcome just seems like pulling out.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Piggfoot

A simple fair tie breaker.
1. no fieldgoals allowed
2. coin flip to determine first offense and direction.
3. Start at the 50 and advance as far as you can in four downs.
4. Other team must match the distance or lose. If they advance farther they win.
5. if a TD is scored team must go for two.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: jjdlc on May 16, 2016, 07:59:17 am
I read the first couple paragraphs and had to make sure i wasn't reading the Onion, or the Rock City Times.  I thought it was satire.  Does the person who wrote that even watch football?  College overtime rules are very good, much better than pro, and no, no one wants a tie.
wrong. I hate overtimes and plenty of people miss the old system.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang