Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas chances

Started by Terryproy, May 13, 2016, 05:36:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Terryproy

What's y'alls honest assessment of Arkansas and its chances of getting to a big time Bowl game ?

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Terryproy on May 13, 2016, 05:36:49 pm
What's y'alls honest assessment of Arkansas and its chances of getting to a big time Bowl game ?
Man, if Young Man comes ready then we are going to be a beast. Not that it's all on him but RB is the question mark right now with Raleigh still iffy. Our Defense is going to make you proud! We won't embarrass you, Unc! Put dat gear on and rock it all though Houston (unless it will get u shot at on the blue side lol).
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

hawginbigd1

IMO it is achievable, youth on offense is the biggest question mark, schedule wise we our on one of our more favorable years, seems it alternates from like the toughest all the way down to like the 8th toughest every other year ;D. I would not be shocked to win 10 games and get in one of the 6 big bowls, I think we have that kind of talent, but with our youth at QB, RB, and OL I wouldn't be shocked to only win 7 or 8 and go to the Texas Bowl.

Terryproy

I think it all comes down to the play of our tight ends. If they can get open and the O-line give Allen time to throw the ball that will open up the ground game. My nephew is a special running back, I'm not bragging but if he works hard like he did to get to this point, look out.

hawginbigd1

Hopefully only about 110 days until we get to see him run through that A and then tote that Rock!

ChitownHawg

I am very intrigued with Enos saying they may use more 4 WR sets. Then CBB said in those sets the pass may look a lot like the run.

Sitting here in May I think we have a 65% chance of making a major bowl. That number will go up or down come September when some potentially key players get to campus. Then we will know what the starters look like.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Seebs

I will tell you after TCU
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

31to6

20% chance of a top-10 bowl. (9-3 or better record, winning SEC record)

60% chance of a quality bowl. (7-5 to 8-4 record, .500 SEC record)

15% chance of a consolation bowl. (5-7 to 6-6, losing SEC record)

5% chance the wheels come off completely.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Seebs on May 13, 2016, 06:29:08 pm
I will tell you after TCU

Come on man that is like saying I'll tell you after LSU.  ;) Just razzin.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Terryproy on May 13, 2016, 05:55:19 pm
I think it all comes down to the play of our tight ends. If they can get open and the O-line give Allen time to throw the ball that will open up the ground game. My nephew is a special running back, I'm not bragging but if he works hard like he did to get to this point, look out.
i know that's true and we are in good hands. Sprinkle is a MAN and we had the best TE class in the country in Feb 2015. I also have no doubt that Neph is the next great RB @ #RBU!!
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

ricepig

It depends on your definition of big time bowl game, we'll probably be around 8-4, so whatever  that gets us.

Doug

Somewhere between Frito Pie and National Champions.
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

Bubba's Bruisers

I think we can get bowl eligible.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on May 13, 2016, 07:26:51 pm
if we don't it would be a monumental collapse. This team has what will be an amazing defense, ridiculous Wrs, depth and quality @ TE and Qb and arguably the best staff in the country development-wise. Throw in a stud RB (or 2), our 4 toughest games in FayetteNam, and these 2 QB-wrecking DEs we have and Arkansas will be a contender. We have a better chance of winning the SEC than we have of missing a bowl game.
@Slackaveli

DownTownHawg

IMO it all depends on the Oline. It scares me a little the dude from Demark moved from the Dline to Oline and was instant first teamer . Sorry I didn't want to butcher his name !

I'm hoping for the best as I have for the last 40 years .

WPS !!!

BornaHog

Terry, I am a HOG homer and I really like what CBB is doing with the HOGS. He is recruiting the right kind of players and just like any coach, he will miss on some of them, but not at nearly as high of a rate as coaches than go after marginal students. Yes I did say "students" and that is where the quality has really improved since he has been here. The more of them that stay around longer means the better the HOGS will be!

If this defense progresses like I hope it will this year, the HOGS should be in every game they play in, meaning they could win each and every game. I also believe Bama will, like any other game, be winnable but will be a nail biter either way and will be their toughest game of the regular season. If a few breaks go the way of the HOGS it might be a really special season!

I am not predicting an undefeated season, but hope it will happen, just like I do every year. Like I said at the start, I AM A HOMER and will always love my HOGS!

I have twittered with you before and would like to also welcome you to Hogville. I hope you don't get too frustrated with some of the posters on here, because we have several Debbie Downers and just plain TROLLS that also post here! You will quickly learn which ones to block!

Have fun!   WPS    :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:   GHG

Born a HOG and will die a HOG, but that's not the only way to become a HOG

East Clintwood

The Independence Bowl, Poulan Independence, Poulan/Weed Eater Independence Bowl, Sanford Independence Bowl, MainStay Independence Bowl, Independence Bowl, PetroSun Independence Bowl, AdvoCare V100 Independence Bowl, AdvoCare V100 Bowl, Duck Commander Independence Bowl is a "Big" bowl.

They have a bigger name than any of the others others.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

HogMantheIntruder

We have a lot of X-factors this season, but I think the answers to those questions are, for the most part, "more than likely pretty darn good". AA has beaten out (at least on paper)the most talented  crop of QB's that we have ever had on the Hill, and he has had the advantage of being the starter's little brother for the past three years. Our OL, while a bit thin and new, does not have a position without at least one really talented player. How good the OL is will depend on how healthy the 1's stay throughout the season, IMO.

A lot of fans consider RB a question mark as well, but I don't. RWIII is completely healed and looks to be ready to go. KW is a 6th year RB who is strong as an ox, knows the offense, blocks extremely well, and can tote the rock. DW and TJ, of course, have never played a down in college, but DW could have played for any school in the country, and we had to put in some extra work on TJ at the end to stave off Bama. I trust this staff's talent evaluation, ESPECIALLY when we're talking about RB's, but when you look at who we had to compete against for those two, it leaves little doubt in my mind that they're both going to be special.

The one position that I believe could cost us a key game or two, ie the difference between a good bowl and a big time bowl, is our kicking game. I'm not really worried about having kicks blocked like last year, but I've yet to see one of our kickers show that he can be consistently accurate, even from inside the 40, which should be almost automatic. It's the only position that I'm pessimistic about, and it always seems to be the difference in at least one game each season; often more.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

Terryproy

I watched a few Arkansas games last year and the only weakness I saw were on the right side of the defensive backfield. The right corner and the safety aren't to confident of the their ability to cover . They were always 6 to 8 yards away from the catch , bout time they get there it's a first down. In the spring game this year it was the same thing. I think Deon will come in and start right away , he's and aggressive player which is what Arkansas needs. Hopefully the coach they have now will bolster the confidence of the safety and corner on that right side.

Hawgzinbowlz

The bowl of an 8-9 win team. In the SECW that's a respectable season.

We really don't know what AA can get done...along with other question mark positions.

Possibly a surprisingly good year.

" GO HOGS "

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: Terryproy on May 13, 2016, 08:25:15 pm
I watched a few Arkansas games last year and the only weakness I saw were on the right side of the defensive backfield. The right corner and the safety aren't to confident of the their ability to cover . They were always 6 to 8 yards away from the catch , bout time they get there it's a first down. In the spring game this year it was the same thing. I think Deon will come in and start right away , he's and aggressive player which is what Arkansas needs. Hopefully the coach they have now will bolster the confidence of the safety and corner on that right side.
I think you are going to be very impressed with the swagger you see in the Arkansas defensive backfield this year. Paul Rhoads is legendary for his motivation and getting the most out of his players. This was a concensus grandslam hire, and many think he's the DC in waiting.
   -Harry Solomon

Danny J

Hopefully with those guys coming back plus the addition of Rhoads as their coach we will see improvement in that area. I also think that another year of experience for Greenlaw will help in that regard as well. I think, like the last few years, we will struggle early while we find our way but do have a chance to finish strong and get to 9-3. So whatever bowl that winds up being and against who I obviously have no idea.

arlhog

I'd say pretty slim.   We have a lot of questions to answer and you can't count on all those answers being good.  It will be tough to beat bama, miss, lsu, tcu in fort worth not to mention we haven't shown we can beat atm yet.  I'm not trying to be negative but realistically it's going to be tough.

LZH

9-4..... Jennifer Lawrence lock.

hawginbigd1

Couldn't have said it better myself, just add some weak LB and nickel coverage and we would be 100 in agreement. However most on here will tell you incorrectly that it was the defensive line that was the majority of the problem!

The positives are I think we might have upgraded the coaching and all those pieces have another year to get better, and as you have hinted at I am hopeful that Mr. Edwards can earn PT or at least push the other safeties to up their level of play.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: East Clintwood on May 13, 2016, 08:06:45 pm
The Independence Bowl, Poulan Independence, Poulan/Weed Eater Independence Bowl, Sanford Independence Bowl, MainStay Independence Bowl, Independence Bowl, PetroSun Independence Bowl, AdvoCare V100 Independence Bowl, AdvoCare V100 Bowl, Duck Commander Independence Bowl is a "Big" bowl.

They have a bigger name than any of the others others.
really dude? every year some jackass says this but when have we even been there? Once against mizzou when friggin Brad Smith was at the helm, aka 2002 or somethin. Jeez. We won't be in that craptastic bowl unless we lose 6 games by less than a TD.
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

Do people not realize that Texas Tech and Toledo were b/c we had a new OC and a OLine coach who was mailing it in? Those games are 90% wins most years. HAD we won them both, both home games mind you, we were a 10 win team LAST year. I think our schedule is very dangerous though. With all the tough games at home you have to win most of them. I feel like we own lsu and ole miss right now, though. All we heard last off-season was how they were gonna get revenge for the shut-outs back-to-back while playing on the SEC road and at night; one got crushed with the fans leaving in the 3rd quarter, and the other got 4th-n-25'd and lost their best ever chance for a SEC title. Now they have to deal with all this 'cheating distraction' stuff. And aTm and The Barn are gonna get rolled this year. Same for Moo State. Leaves the Bama game in fayetteville looming large af. They barely escaped last time (and we were in it in the 4th in Tusky). I think it's TIME. Could be a great year for getting monkeys off the Hogs' backs as Florida's cheatin asses come to town as well. (sorry Little Rock but MAN it feels good to finally have a good home schedule!!)
@Slackaveli

MuskogeeHogFan

I think that a lot of that had to do with the philosophy that Robb Smith felt like he had to employ to mask other weaknesses on defense with regard to pass coverage. As an example, our Secondary had 32 PBU's last season, Alabama had 33 and that was in 2 more games than we played. Now they had 15 INT's which is 5 more than we made but when you look at those comparisons and us playing a BBDB style of defense, it lends more clarity to the comparison.

On the other hand when you look at LB production, Alabama had 23 PBU's and we had 4, but in all honesty, no one in the SEC West came anywhere close to this level of PBU production by their LB's. The next highest to Alabama was Ole Miss and Miss St with 7 each.

Another key factor is pressure and here again, Alabama outdistanced everyone with Sacks by LB's with 27. Our LB's had 2.5 and the next closest to Alabama was Miss St whose LB's had 13.5 Sacks.

And our D-Line, while very good against the run, only had 7 PBU's (second lowest in the SEC West) compared to Alabama's D-Line which produced an SEC West best with 24. That certainly helps pass defense.

I hope that all phases will be improved this coming season and that we employ more of an attacking philosophy instead of a BBDB philosophy. Laying back and just trying to keep everything underneath the coverage umbrella and not getting a lot of support from the LB's in pass coverage can make a Secondary look worse than they may actually be as a unit.
Go Hogs Go!

TNhawgfan

I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

Seebs

Quote from: ChitownHawg on May 13, 2016, 06:54:43 pm
Come on man that is like saying I'll tell you after LSU.  ;) Just razzin.

I see your point. 19-6. We change the game.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

lumphog

Hogarusa

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 14, 2016, 02:20:31 am
really dude? every year some jackass says this but when have we even been there? Once against mizzou when friggin Brad Smith was at the helm, aka 2002 or somethin. Jeez. We won't be in that craptastic bowl unless we lose 6 games by less than a TD.

They're all the same craptastic bowl, just different names. Texas, Liberty, Music City, Birmingham, Taxslayer, etc.  there's no difference.  its all TV filler in December for college football fanatics
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

roothawg

Will come down to Qb play. If Qb can manage the game without mistakes then the sky is the limit

greghog

This year?  Slim to none.  Possible, but very unlikely.  In the long run?  Sure.  Year in year out?  We aren't going to see the 60's, 70's and 80's again where we got invited to major bowls a good % of the time.  SECW makes that not possible.

Cinco de Hogo

Could come together(7+ wins), could fall apart(6 or less wins).  That's how much I know about what's going to happen this year.  Kinda like baseball before the season began.

Honestly I think we can easily find 9 wins but I can't get to excited about it actually happening, it's a one game improvement over a disappointing season. 

We are looking for results from first year o-line and DB coaches and while I have high hopes they are upgrades who knows if the adjustment time will be fast or slow. 

We are replacing some great players and historical our replacements aren't as battle ready as the teams we are chasing.  That leads to some early season disappointments.  Can we ease into the schedule and build up team chemistry at a rate that keeps us from losing a winnable game in the first half of the season.

It seems every year I believe a particular part of the team will have improved and last year it was the defensive backfield.  That didn't turn out so good.  I'm not going to praise any part of this years team, mainly because I don't see any as dominating.  We have the possibility of every part playing really sound football but I can also see almost any unit turning into a weak link.  Some more than others.

Saying we need to win as a team this year may sound lame but that's what I see with this team.

Having said all that please refer to my first sentence! LOL

hawginbigd1

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 14, 2016, 07:28:19 am
I think that a lot of that had to do with the philosophy that Robb Smith felt like he had to employ to mask other weaknesses on defense with regard to pass coverage. As an example, our Secondary had 32 PBU's last season, Alabama had 33 and that was in 2 more games than we played. Now they had 15 INT's which is 5 more than we made but when you look at those comparisons and us playing a BBDB style of defense, it lends more clarity to the comparison.

On the other hand when you look at LB production, Alabama had 23 PBU's and we had 4, but in all honesty, no one in the SEC West came anywhere close to this level of PBU production by their LB's. The next highest to Alabama was Ole Miss and Miss St with 7 each.

Another key factor is pressure and here again, Alabama outdistanced everyone with Sacks by LB's with 27. Our LB's had 2.5 and the next closest to Alabama was Miss St whose LB's had 13.5 Sacks.

And our D-Line, while very good against the run, only had 7 PBU's (second lowest in the SEC West) compared to Alabama's D-Line which produced an SEC West best with 24. That certainly helps pass defense.

I hope that all phases will be improved this coming season and that we employ more of an attacking philosophy instead of a BBDB philosophy. Laying back and just trying to keep everything underneath the coverage umbrella and not getting a lot of support from the LB's in pass coverage can make a Secondary look worse than they may actually be as a unit.
Good info and comparisons, many here also miss the fact in last years defensive philosophy, that against the athletic type QBs we played the DL was making no attempt to penetrate or get to the QB by design. The goal was to eliminate running lanes for the QB, I would say it was only mildly successful, and many times it makes the back 7 look worse than maybe they really are, you can only cover adequately for a few seconds at this level!

Pig in the Pokey

nailed it. that is exactly what was happening.
@Slackaveli

ChitownHawg

This is true but our DBs whiffed on many tackles. Instead of an 8 yard catch and tackle it turned into an 8 yard catch with a 40 YAC TD.  I don't think they needed much help in looking bad.   ;)

Having said that they, as a unit, did look good during the Spring game.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ChitownHawg on May 14, 2016, 03:55:51 pm
This is true but our DBs whiffed on many tackles. Instead of an 8 yard catch and tackle it turned into an 8 yard catch with a 40 YAC TD.  I don't think they needed much help in looking bad.   ;)

Having said that they, as a unit, did look good during the Spring game.

Precisely the point. Without adequate coverage and help from the LB's it gives the opposing receivers a more open field to make YAC.
Go Hogs Go!

ChitownHawg

May 14, 2016, 07:46:32 pm #39 Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 09:30:00 pm by ChitownHawg
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 14, 2016, 07:29:25 pm
Precisely the point. Without adequate coverage and help from the LB's it gives the opposing receivers a more open field to make YAC.

I understand but make the tackle and it doesn't matter where the LB is. Hopefully they play as a team with each doing their part correctly. I'm hopeful.

Hoggish1

What?

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 14, 2016, 07:29:25 pm
I think it was a combination of both. While we did give the opposing WR's more room than we should have, I also saw a lot of poor tackling even when they were right there on them. I know we're all kind of hanging our hat on the DL (DE's in particular), but I think LB is where we will see the most improvement, which, of course, will affect the DB play.

Just a thought, but when was the last time we believed (based on more than just hope) that every single unit on D would be better? When we didn't have at least one position that was a glaring weakness? I know it's happened; CRS' first year comes to mind, but I don't think anyone saw that coming.
   -Harry Solomon

reddogjcss

I say this year 8-9 wins and a bowl.

presidenthog

May 14, 2016, 11:09:27 pm #43 Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 11:48:07 pm by presidenthog
I follow you on Twitter and love you Terry roy. One of my favorite follows.

Hey here is the deal. I honestly expect this year to go like the last 2 and is start really slow (especially on offense til the o line gels)

We will win every game starting in novembert on.

9-3 and a bowl win can happen as long as your nephew can produce early and often(not really but he will be needed dearly. Btw he was my #1 RB on my personal big board of guys) The defense will have to carry us through first half. We will be dominant in the second half of the year.

presidenthog

Quote from: Poppa Tart on May 13, 2016, 08:16:59 pm
The one position that I believe could cost us a key game or two, ie the difference between a good bowl and a big time bowl, is our kicking game. I'm not really worried about having kicks blocked like last year, but I've yet to see one of our kickers show that he can be consistently accurate, even from inside the 40, which should be almost automatic. It's the only position that I'm pessimistic about, and it always seems to be the difference in at least one game each season; often more.

This is solid truth right here. We got hedlund from Texas and he broke some national record and he hasn't gotten his confidence kicking with a holder.

We need to find us a soccer player who wants to make NFL money for 15 years.

presidenthog

You are fairly spot on. I think we was unfair to tolliver playing nickel (this is the hardest position probably in football. That or being an elite QB in the nfl)

What I think Will be the difference is the pressure we will get pressure on the QB this. I think the lack of pressure was the biggest change from 14-15.

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

Let's make some waves.

hog19911

So tough to say at this point. Gun to my head, I'd probably say not very good. Depends on the OL and how much the Defense can improve. The OL, looked awful in the spring game. I think this unit being anything other than amongst the poorest in the SEC is a real stretch.

The Defense might make a jump similar to the 2014 season. If it does we might get 8 in the regular season with a shot at 9, but that's the ceiling imo.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: hog19911 on May 16, 2016, 11:01:27 am
So tough to say at this point. Gun to my head, I'd probably say not very good. Depends on the OL and how much the Defense can improve. The OL, looked awful in the spring game. I think this unit being anything other than amongst the poorest in the SEC is a real stretch.

The Defense might make a jump similar to the 2014 season. If it does we might get 8 in the regular season with a shot at 9, but that's the ceiling imo.

And there is that "the sky is falling" Hog fan attitude. So many years removed from Nutt, yet some fans still expect the worst.

code red

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on May 13, 2016, 07:26:51 pm
Agree.  This team will have issues on offense to begin the year...but will get better throughout the year.  TCU and A&M will be the rubber games to decide our fate.  I would guess Music City best case scenario.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou