Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Know it will be ridiculed, but what if the b12conf offered.....................

Started by Hogmodo, May 11, 2016, 01:45:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogmodo

.................the following?

1.  Texas will dissolve the Longhorn network in order to get ESPN to make a big offer for TV rights to an expanded b12conf with a championship game to televise.  There will be a ten year loss of TV rights penalty on any team that leaves, so UT has no ability to blackmail the league ever again in the future.

2.  Arkansas and Tulane are invited to join to bring it up to 12 teams with a championship game.  Tulane gives the New Orleans market so it brings more TV's than Arkansas.  Arkansas brings the prestige of coming from the SEC which the b12 needs, although they hate to admit it.  Expanding by picking up minor league conference members is small time.  Getting Power5 conference members to join you says you are big time too.  They need that more than any other Power5 conference.

3.  Arkansas would be in the b12north with WVA, IowaState, Kansas, Kansas State, and Okie State.  That puts Tulane in the b12south with UT, Baylor, TT, TCU, & OU. Tulane becomes our permanent opponent, OSU has OU, so OU continues to play UT & OSU every year.

4.  They agree that there will be no refs from the home state of either team in any conference games.  No more Texas refs for Hog games against Texas schools.

5.  They throw in an extra $25 million to the Hogs to sweeten the deal and entice us away from the SEC.

Advantages:

A.  We will have an easier path to a football championship game and the playoffs than in the SEC.  Baseball and Track will have an easier time too.

B.  Playing Tulane every year will help us keep some of the recruiting gains we have made in Louisiana.  Texas recruiting will be much easier.  Florida will be about the same because those South Florida kids just want out of Florida and will go anywhere.

C.  That conference schedule will be a lot easier than the SEC West.

D.  The expanded b12 revenue should match the SEC.  Maybe they throw in a clause that they make up the difference if it ever falls short for Arkansas.

Disadvantage: Basketball will have a much tougher time excelling, but we did it before and we can do it again.

Let the flaming begin, but if we can get past our hate for all things Texas, having the b12 acknowledge they really need us, having UT eat crow and give up their network to get us, and some extra money thrown in could all be a pretty sweet deal for the Hogs.
Time to git er done Hogs!

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hogmodo

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 11, 2016, 01:48:16 pm
I knew it was idiotic when I saw the word TULANE in the post.
Tulane give us a very easy permanent opponent on the other side and helps with Louisiana recruiting.  Admitting Tulane is one of the prices the b12 pays to get us.
Time to git er done Hogs!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hogmodo on May 11, 2016, 01:52:26 pm
Tulane give us a very easy permanent opponent on the other side and helps with Louisiana recruiting.  Admitting Tulane is one of the prices the b12 pays to get us.

Put down the pipe..................even the little 12 isn't stupid enough to pay that price!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

tophawg19

instead of Tulane you might as well take Arkansas , LSU , A&M and MIZZOU. that would really teach the SEC
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

idochog

I love Jesus!

Biggus Piggus

Ridiculous because of the notion that the Big 12 will be intact for long, regardless of whether it expands.

Ridiculous part 2 is the idea that Tulane wold deliver anything.
[CENSORED]!

Pigsknuckles

OU was within 30 minutes of jumping to the PAC 10 in 2010. http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/25581974 Still trying to wrap my head around what that would have looked like.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

regi

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 11, 2016, 01:48:16 pm
I knew it was idiotic when I saw the word TULANE in the post.

Sums up this race to the bottom post. Without even mentioning every other year road trips to yankee outposts of Aimes, Morgantown, Stankwater, Tiny Apple and Larry Ks....I need a drink.

Seebs

To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

hog1984

I would rather loose to half of the SEC teams we play, than to win every game in the Big12. We are where we need to be.

lstewart

If the annual revenue was the same, it is something the Hogs could consider if they wanted to. But I think something would have to happen within the SEC to make us want to leave before something like that might be considered. The football schedule sounds pretty dull. If I was going to watch the hogs play football in the Big 12, I would at least want to see them play teams from the old SWC. If the Big 12 had the money to do something like this, A&M and Missou would not be in the SEC at this time.

SemperHawg

I would think that the first and main requirement that any conference would need to come with to pull us from the SEC is a full match plus of our yearly revenue sharing deal from the SEC network.  Why would we leave for anything less?

zane

Looks like Bob Shields is back with a new name....

PS: stopped reading at Tulane
RIP LSUfan

redleg

Quote from: Hogmodo on May 11, 2016, 01:45:53 pm

1.  Texas will dissolve the Longhorn network in order to get ESPN to make a big offer for TV rights to an expanded b12conf with a championship game to televise.  There will be a ten year loss of TV rights penalty on any team that leaves, so UT has no ability to blackmail the league ever again in the future.

2.  Arkansas and Tulane are invited to join to bring it up to 12 teams with a championship game.  Tulane gives the New Orleans market so it brings more TV's than Arkansas.  Arkansas brings the prestige of coming from the SEC which the b12 needs, although they hate to admit it.  Expanding by picking up minor league conference members is small time.  Getting Power5 conference members to join you says you are big time too.  They need that more than any other Power5 conference.

3.  Arkansas would be in the b12north with WVA, IowaState, Kansas, Kansas State, and Okie State.  That puts Tulane in the b12south with UT, Baylor, TT, TCU, & OU. Tulane becomes our permanent opponent, OSU has OU, so OU continues to play UT & OSU every year.

4.  They agree that there will be no refs from the home state of either team in any conference games.  No more Texas refs for Hog games against Texas schools.

5.  They throw in an extra $25 million to the Hogs to sweeten the deal and entice us away from the SEC.

Advantages:

A.  We will have an easier path to a football championship game and the playoffs than in the SEC.  Baseball and Track will have an easier time too.

B.  Playing Tulane every year will help us keep some of the recruiting gains we have made in Louisiana.  Texas recruiting will be much easier.  Florida will be about the same because those South Florida kids just want out of Florida and will go anywhere.

D.  The expanded b12 revenue should match the SEC.  Maybe they throw in a clause that they make up the difference if it ever falls short for Arkansas.

Disadvantage: Basketball will have a much tougher time excelling, but we did it before and we can do it again.

Let the flaming begin, but if we can get past our hate for all things Texas, having the b12 acknowledge they really need us, having UT eat crow and give up their network to get us, and some extra money thrown in could all be a pretty sweet deal for the Hogs.
Yes, this will be ridiculed, mostly because it is utterly moronic. Tulane?! Really?! Tulane isn't even the biggest name college in New Orleans...LSU is! Tulane brings nothing, absolutely nothing to the table as far as athletics goes. It's a great academic institution, but as far as football goes, it's a Conf USA school at best.
Man...I really can't believe you went with freaking Tulane!!!  :o
It doesn't matter anyway, the Big XII could bring in Notre Dame and USC and Arkansas still wouldn't leave the SEC. The SEC is the best conference in the nation ... AND ... Texas gets a bigger slice of the financial pie than the other Big XII schools, mostly because they are greedy and arrogant. Texas had their chance to join the SEC even before Arkansas, but when they said they wanted a bigger slice of the pie than everyone else because they were Texass, the other member schools of the SEC laughed at them, and then they offered Arkansas.
The Big XII will eventually collapse, mostly because of the Longhorns. West Virginia will flip to the ACC or Big Ten, and any other far away schools will do the same once conference expansion begins again. The Big XII is doomed.
Freaking TULANE?! Really, man?!
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

WizardofhOgZ

For a minute, set aside the facts that we don't want to be part of a conference where Texas runs the show and gets more money that any other member; or, that the SEC doles out more to 12 members than the Big 12 does to 10 (and our adding to the number of teams to share the wealth with means that share would be even less); just consider that one of the core members of the conference is still unsure about whether they want to be there or not.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/25581974/oklahoma-was-within-30-minutes-of-leaving-for-the-pac-10-in-2010

What SEC team would give up all that membership in that conference provides for any conference as obviously shaky and unstable as the Big 12 is right now?  Let's say we did, and then Texas and/or OU bolt.  What do we do then?  I don't think it's an automatic, at all, that the SEC would take us back . . . especially after what would be an acrimonious split (when we left to go to the Big 12).

Nope . . . no way (short of the whole thing blowing up, and everyone scrambling for new conference affiliations) that we leave the SEC - for the Big 12, or anyplace else.

redleg

Quote from: Hogmodo on May 11, 2016, 01:52:26 pm
Who in the blue hell wants Tulane in the same conference as Arkansas, except you???!!!!!!  ???Staaaaaaaaaaaappp!  >:(
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

PorkSoda

Quotewhat if the b12conf offered.....................

QuoteKnow it will be ridiculed,

you answered your own question in the thread title
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

The_Iceman

Oklahawg

Which well-heeled Broyles-Matthews donor is going to cover the $31M+ for a year or two while we buy out the SEC?

B12 has an expiration date on it. None of us can see it but it is there.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Doug

Quote from: SeebsTreating this like a Shields post
PREACH IT, SEEBS!

--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: Oklahawg on May 11, 2016, 04:54:09 pm
Which well-heeled Broyles-Matthews donor is going to cover the $31M+ for a year or two while we buy out the SEC?

B12 has an expiration date on it. None of us can see it but it is there.

The SEC doesn't have a buy-out.  Guess they figure no school is going to walk away from all that cash.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2012/09/19/accs-new-exit-fee-punitive-or-par-for-the-course/#429b99ce8956

longtimeHogfan

After giving it the careful consideration it deserves. ...no thanks.
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

Oklahawg

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on May 11, 2016, 05:46:07 pm
The SEC doesn't have a buy-out.  Guess they figure no school is going to walk away from all that cash.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2012/09/19/accs-new-exit-fee-punitive-or-par-for-the-course/#429b99ce8956

Well, that makes it that much more obvious - the perks of staying clearly outweigh the advantage of paddling your raft like all hell to get on board the Titantic.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

WilsonHog

Be in a division with West Virginia, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, and Oklahoma State?

Hell's bells, man.

hogfan58

Advantages:

Only if our home game every other year vs Tulane is in LR.
I'm asking you as fans, don't give up on those players, don't give up on us, it's our program, it's the state of Alabama program...it's not one individuals program, so hang in there...

theFlyingHog

Make it:
Arkansas
Texas
aggie
OU
Olite
Nebraska
Kansas
Kstate
Iowa
IowaSt
TCU
Mizzery
Baylor
Astate

And I'm in

FANONTHEHILL

I think your original post is 100% accurate.  It will be ridiculed.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

1highhog

There's not a School in the SEC dumb enough to walk away from the money of just being apart of the SEC to go to another lesser Conference, put whatever Schools you want with the B-12, they still won't compete with the SEC.

Torqued pork

The exodus of Nebraska, Colorado, A&M and Missou was the demise of the Big XII. It's sad that a school such as Iowa St. may not have a soft landing, but it won't stop the inevitable.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: WilsonHog on May 11, 2016, 07:22:44 pm
Be in a division with West Virginia, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, and Oklahoma State?

Hell's bells, man.

No kidding ....might as well join the Sun belt....................then  some on here would be happy.

rhames

Why leave a mansion, even if you are sleeping on a couch and sometimes get the nice guest room, for a master bedroom in a single wide trailer?
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: theFlyingHog on May 12, 2016, 01:50:25 am
Make it:
Arkansas
Texas
aggie
OU
Olite
Nebraska
Kansas
Kstate
Iowa
IowaSt
TCU
Mizzery
Baylor
Astate

And I'm in

Two of those don't belong on the list............................the first one and last one.

UAfanatic

Tulane?  that doesn't give you the New Orleans market.. maybe a 1% share.

The biggest problem is, well the second biggest problem is Texas and their inability to play well with others.

The biggest problem is leaving the SEC, that would be stupid.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 11, 2016, 01:53:12 pm
Put down the pipe..................even the little 12 isn't stupid enough to pay that price!

In this environment, no scenario is too outlandish.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Fatty McGee on May 12, 2016, 10:39:07 am
In this environment, no scenario is too outlandish.

Getting Tulane in a P5 conference even though it is the lowest of the P5 is not that outlandish? Is there more than one pipe being passed around................

razorbacker3

Hog-Corleone

What if we make a conference like this:

East:
Florida, South Carolina, Georgia, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Tennessee, Missouri
West:
Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, LSU, Texas A&M

I mean what is the purpose of all this discussion of a new Big 12?  So we can go back to a conference Texass makes all the rules, and where Texass gets all the $$$.  Regardless of what rules you put in place, that is one thing that will never change.  I would like to play Texass every year, but i do not ever, EVAR want to be in a conference with them again. 
This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation.

HamIAm

Quote from: Hog-Corleone on May 12, 2016, 11:09:47 am
What if we make a conference like this:

East:
Florida, South Carolina, Georgia, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Tennessee, Missouri
West:
Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, LSU, Texas A&M

I mean what is the purpose of all this discussion of a new Big 12?  So we can go back to a conference Texass makes all the rules, and where Texass gets all the $$$.  Regardless of what rules you put in place, that is one thing that will never change.  I would like to play Texass every year, but i do not ever, EVAR want to be in a conference with them again. 

I used to want to play Texas every year.  Now I feel like we have bigger fish to fry.

ImHogginIt

Can we move all the Hogs to the Big 12 threads to the trash can ?  :puke:

Hogarusa

Quote from: hog1984 on May 11, 2016, 03:37:56 pm
I would rather loose to half of the SEC teams we play, than to win every game in the Big12. We are where we need to be.

Now thats some odd logic. I'd prefer to win.  You're still in a P5 conference, its not like Hogs would become Boise St

Tulane? Just because they reside in the city doesnt mean you get the New Orleans market.  Ever seen a home Green Wave crowd?  Thats not helpful.

Also, no.  There is nothing the B12 will ever offer that would make Arkansas think about leaving the SEC.

Except winning more and being in a better basketball conference.

C.R.E.A.M
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Pig in the Pokey

With all those conditions, I would be sooo down. I am tired of getting ho'd by SEC Ref Monster every year. We came to the SEC on a promise that wouldn't happen. It did, and it does still. Can't see that deal ever happening but that would be awesome. It would give us a ton of instant cred, too, believe it or not. It would be the talk of college football.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

The Hawg Marshal

go hogues

We'll be statistically mediocre in any conference we're in. Can you imagine the recruiting falloff when potential recruits see those teams on their schedule vs. the stadiums they can walk in by playing in the SECW?

Also, Texas is never going to play fair. I could just see us joining that conference and Texas immediately bolting for the SEC or a few years later for the PAC 12.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />