Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is Alabama the only team that stand in the way of the hogs going to the SEC title?

Started by Ben, May 11, 2016, 11:58:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pigsknuckles

"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

RollHogTide

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on May 12, 2016, 10:52:10 am
I betcha there would be a significant % of their fan base that would think they suck if they went 9-3.

This is the truth, so many of the Bama fans have forgotten the pre-Saban years.

redleg

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: Carl Lazlo on May 12, 2016, 11:43:19 am
Many offensive lines will have trouble blocking that second team d line.
This. And our OL should make a lot of progress between now and the start of the season. Their learning curve should be accelerated by the quality of DL they are going against in practice.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

MJ2

Gotta get past 4-4 in the conference to be able to have a chance to win it and I'm not seeing it in the near future.

ALLVOL

Quote from: Poppa Tart on May 12, 2016, 03:00:16 pm
This. And our OL should make a lot of progress between now and the start of the season. Their learning curve should be accelerated by the quality of DL they are going against in practice.
Do you think Hogs have a better Dline than LSU?

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: ALLVOL on May 12, 2016, 04:08:54 pm

Don't know but the combined score the last two years is Hogs 48, LSU 14.

ALLVOL

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on May 12, 2016, 04:16:30 pm
Don't know but the combined score the last two years is Hogs 48, LSU 14.
I wasn't being a smart ass. Just curious what your thought was. My thoughts on hog line is good but not world beaters.

And let's face it. It hasn't taken many points to beat LSU the past couple years.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: ALLVOL on May 12, 2016, 04:25:21 pm
I wasn't being a smart ass. Just curious what your thought was. My thoughts on hog line is good but not world beaters.

And let's face it. It hasn't taken many points to beat LSU the past couple years.

And it only took 24 to win in Knoxville last fall.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: ALLVOL on May 12, 2016, 04:25:21 pm

Stepped in it again?  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on May 12, 2016, 11:00:52 am
they are not good enough on the o-line to beat ARK....our D line is their kryptonite, has been for two years....they cannot run against us and their QB isn't accurate enough to beat us with his arm, plus our D line will be on the LSU QB like white on rice from jump start...I say we run them out of Razorback Stadium once again...McTelvin will have his best day of the year as a Hog against Jennings, Harris or whoever Leslie decides to start against that Hog defense...this is the best UA defense since 1977

I'd say that is an optimistic viewpoint. I'm not saying that LSU is going to be all-world on the O-Line, but neither will we be. They return starters at both OG's and Center and have to find replacements for both OT's and that could be problematic for them, but their defense should be better than last year, just like ours.

We have questions to answer on offense as well with only two starters returning on the O-Line and other small things like the RB's and QB, none of which can be completely predicted at this time.

What is good for both teams is that we don't meet until later in the season where each team will have time to gel in spots that need that time.

I expect a close game barring significant injuries to starters for either team but not a foregone conclusion for either team with regard to the outcome at this point. There are too many unknowns for both teams and too much football to be played before we meet.
Go Hogs Go!

ricepig

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on May 12, 2016, 04:36:04 pm
And it only took 24 to win in Knoxville last fall.

We actually wasted a couple of points, 22 would have been plenty.

Murr

Quote from: tampahog on May 12, 2016, 09:42:19 am
We have not beat UF since joining the SEC.   They are the only SEC team we are yet to beat in conference play

Florida always get some strange calls from the refrees.  Heck, I was watching a softball game on the SECN between the two schools and even the commenters were saying UF was getting some home cooking on the calls.

UF is the only SEC East school I would not want to face in Atlanta regardless of the talent level on either team.

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: ALLVOL on May 12, 2016, 04:08:54 pm
No, not if we're talking about two deep. That being said, I don't think their DL is worlds ahead of us, and I wouldn't trade DE's with them.
   -Harry Solomon

ALLVOL

Quote from: Poppa Tart on May 12, 2016, 07:42:00 pm
No, not if we're talking about two deep. That being said, I don't think their DL is worlds ahead of us, and I wouldn't trade DE's with them.
I agree with this. And thanks for having an actual discussion.
LSU will have a very good Defense this year. But as per usual their offense can't grab theiir asses with both hands. 

Iwastherein1969

Hog fans star counting again....we DEFINITELY have a more experienced and more talented D Line that goes two deep....this is the typical Hog fan who has this inner need to concede the talent battle....even when we had McFadden, Jones and Hillis in the same backfield I promise you that most in here would say Auburn or Alabama had better talent...our fan base just cannot come out and be confident in who we are and what we have...it's the "Houston Nutt Effect", we have been told that we have to sneak up on other teams to beat them instead of just standing our ground and saying, 'we're here and going no where, come and get ya some'
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

DLUXHOG

"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on May 12, 2016, 08:08:15 pm
Hog fans star counting again....we DEFINITELY have a more experienced and more talented D Line that goes two deep....this is the typical Hog fan who has this inner need to concede the talent battle....even when we had McFadden, Jones and Hillis in the same backfield I promise you that most in here would say Auburn or Alabama had better talent...our fan base just cannot come out and be confident in who we are and what we have...it's the "Houston Nutt Effect", we have been told that we have to sneak up on other teams to beat them instead of just standing our ground and saying, 'we're here and going no where, come and get ya some'
Brother, you're making a lot of assumptions about me that simply aren't true. LSU is going to field one of the deepest, most talented teams in the country this year, and their DL is one the strengths. That doesn't mean we can't or won't beat them, and it doesn't mean that our DL isn't going to be fantastic. Do some research on LSU's DL this year. Trust me, they have plenty to be excited about as well.

As for your "Houston Nutt Effect" theory, first let me point out that I already said that I would take our DE's over theirs, and that's just part of one group of players. I also would take our receivers, TE's, and QB over LSU's any day of the week. I am one of the few who happens to think that we can draw top ten recruiting classes to the Hill. I could sit here and type for thirty minutes and still not address all the reasons why I hate the sentiment that we can't become one of the elite programs year in and year out in SEC. And I could write for just as long about why I believe we are on our way there.

Don't try to tell me what kind of fan I am because you disagree with one post; that's ignorant and presumptuous. And I know I've already mentioned it, but why don't you actually go do some research on LSU's DL for 2016, then maybe you can contribute to the conversation without name calling or coming up with some lame fan syndrome that anyone who makes an objective point which doesn't favor Arkansas apparently suffers from.

In fact, I'll even get you started...
http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/lsu-football/lsu-defensive-line-looking-fantastic-in-2016/

Your welcome.
   -Harry Solomon

Terryproy

ALLVOL

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: ALLVOL on May 12, 2016, 07:53:54 pm
I agree with this. And thanks for having an actual discussion.
LSU will have a very good Defense this year. But as per usual their offense can't grab theiir asses with both hands.
That's why I hope and pray that Leslie stays for as long as possible. As long as he's there, they're beatable every single year. You want to talk about a Houston Nutt Syndrome? How about having all the talent in the world at your disposal and NEVER fielding a great offense? No one has done Les with more, IMHO.
   -Harry Solomon

carolinahogger

BigDrDon

You gonna look me dead in the eye,hold a straight face ,and swear to me,that the forward pass is legal?

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: carolinahogger on May 13, 2016, 01:40:13 am
And you still have $$?

Sad, but true. Being a hog fan is like sitting at a blackjack table in Vegas. You will have a hot streak from time to time, but the grind always favors the house.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

HamSammich

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 12, 2016, 05:57:38 pm
I'd say that is an optimistic viewpoint. I'm not saying that LSU is going to be all-world on the O-Line, but neither will we be. They return starters at both OG's and Center and have to find replacements for both OT's and that could be problematic for them, but their defense should be better than last year, just like ours.

We have questions to answer on offense as well with only two starters returning on the O-Line and other small things like the RB's and QB, none of which can be completely predicted at this time.

What is good for both teams is that we don't meet until later in the season where each team will have time to gel in spots that need that time.

I expect a close game barring significant injuries to starters for either team but not a foregone conclusion for either team with regard to the outcome at this point. There are too many unknowns for both teams and too much football to be played before we meet.

All of the OTs we have lost to them the last two years say "Hi".

You guys are stuck on lsus qb play being bad. Fournette is going to make whoever wins the qb job look good.

Face reality. LSU and Bama are still the teams to beat and will again have top five teams.

TUSKtimes

Quote from: HamSammich on May 13, 2016, 08:04:01 am

You guys are stuck on lsus qb play being bad. Fournette is going to make whoever wins the qb job look good.

Face reality. LSU and Bama are still the teams to beat and will again have top five teams.

Afraid this is so. Kinda like looking at Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina in b-ball. Lots and lots of talent.

LSU has the studs, at all positions, two deep. If Leonard does his thing, LSU's offense is 70% set in stone. If Harris and the O-coordinator can get somewhat creative with the passing game, it will shorten the gap between Bama and whoever is invited to the big dance. That's a big IF. I'm thinking the near death experience Les just endured, may help him to get out of his offensive fetal position.

rhames

The offensive line seems to be an experiment right now. This year could be tough
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Hogs33

"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company." Mark Twain

hoggusamoungus

When Fournette is shut down, they don't have the QB play to win.  He had 31 yards against Bama, 91 vs the Hogs and 108 (25 carries with one going for 32) against OM and they lost all three.

ALLVOL

Quote from: Poppa Tart on May 12, 2016, 10:33:30 pm
That's why I hope and pray that Leslie stays for as long as possible. As long as he's there, they're beatable every single year. You want to talk about a Houston Nutt Syndrome? How about having all the talent in the world at your disposal and NEVER fielding a great offense? No one has done Les with more, IMHO.
Les seems to struggle with offense for sure at LSU. Makes one wonder how they did so well offensively when at Okie State.
But their defense will be crazy good this year. Which makes me think he will rely even more on just running and being conservative and putting games on his defenses shoulder.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: ALLVOL on May 13, 2016, 08:30:20 am
Les seems to struggle with offense for sure at LSU. Makes one wonder how they did so well offensively when at Okie State.
But their defense will be crazy good this year. Which makes me think he will rely even more on just running and being conservative and putting games on his defenses shoulder.

Here's the other thing about LSU: there will be one game when they just don't show up 100%.  Perhaps they've been hitting the pipe too hard all week, or spent too much time in the bars, or whatever, but they'll be at least one game when they are not mentally there.

The last two year's that's been our game.  Other than that one year when they lost the rematch with Bama, pretty much they always have one loss they really shouldn't have.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

DLUXHOG

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on May 13, 2016, 10:55:25 am
Here's the other thing about LSU: there will be one game when they just don't show up 100%.  Perhaps they've been hitting the pipe too hard all week, or spent too much time in the bars, or whatever, but they'll be at least one game when they are not mentally there.

The last two year's that's been our game.  Other than that one year when they lost the rematch with Bama, pretty much they always have one loss they really shouldn't have.

whoooooaaa.... you are thinking LSU's losses to the Hogs were losses that shouldn't have been?    48-14 Hogs favor in the past two years you know........   I think the Hogs earned those victories.......
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: DLUXHOG on May 13, 2016, 10:58:30 am
whoooooaaa.... you are thinking LSU's losses to the Hogs were losses that shouldn't have been?    48-14 Hogs favor in the past two years you know........   I think the Hogs earned those victories.......

Settle down.

We beat their butts for sure, but they didn't bring their A game.

Every team has games where they don't play their best, but LSU has em where they simply aren't into the game mentally.

Reminds me of the Hogs under Hootie.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

ChitownHawg

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on May 13, 2016, 11:44:00 am
Settle down.

We beat their butts for sure, but they didn't bring their A game.

Every team has games where they don't play their best, but LSU has em where they simply aren't into the game mentally.

Reminds me of the Hogs under Hootie.

I guess you can chalk it up to a bad game when their QB bounces a pass off the back of our DB's head or when we continually stuff their run game at the line. Same problems each year, so I guess we are just lucky.

Their 2014 SEC record was 4-4 and 2015 5-3, so I would say they had several of those games you are talking about.  ;D

But for me we kicked their butts and luck had little to do with it.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Poppa Tart on May 12, 2016, 10:28:21 pm
Brother, you're making a lot of assumptions about me that simply aren't true. LSU is going to field one of the deepest, most talented teams in the country this year, and their DL is one the strengths. That doesn't mean we can't or won't beat them, and it doesn't mean that our DL isn't going to be fantastic. Do some research on LSU's DL this year. Trust me, they have plenty to be excited about as well.

As for your "Houston Nutt Effect" theory, first let me point out that I already said that I would take our DE's over theirs, and that's just part of one group of players. I also would take our receivers, TE's, and QB over LSU's any day of the week. I am one of the few who happens to think that we can draw top ten recruiting classes to the Hill. I could sit here and type for thirty minutes and still not address all the reasons why I hate the sentiment that we can't become one of the elite programs year in and year out in SEC. And I could write for just as long about why I believe we are on our way there.

Don't try to tell me what kind of fan I am because you disagree with one post; that's ignorant and presumptuous. And I know I've already mentioned it, but why don't you actually go do some research on LSU's DL for 2016, then maybe you can contribute to the conversation without name calling or coming up with some lame fan syndrome that anyone who makes an objective point which doesn't favor Arkansas apparently suffers from.

In fact, I'll even get you started...
http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/lsu-football/lsu-defensive-line-looking-fantastic-in-2016/

Your welcome.
And the stars come out in the daytime....I don't give a damn what some blogging head in Saturday Down South says...I know what I see and our D-line dominated their O-line to the tune of 59 yards rushing with a Heisman trophy candidate in the backfield. And "OH MY GOSH ! The Hogs poor little defense did all this at DEATH VALLEY on a Baton Rouge SATURDAY NIGHT !"  All I've heard from LSU fans over the years when we played on Friday afternoon the day after Thanksgiving, "Oh, you guys are lucky, you'll never beat us if you have to play us on a Saturday night in Baton Rouge."  Well, one myth quickly down the porcelain god. All I'm saying is that if we want to be elite, we must think elite. When Agim is unleashed off the corner in passing situations (and he will be coming from the blind side against LSU) I can promise you more than one QB will have to be helped off the field this year. This is one of the top 5 defenses we've had in the modern era. IMO, the best since 1977. Now our record may not be better because Austin Allen has a long way to go to catch up to big brother. But the defense is stellar and with a DB guru like Paul Rhoads coaching the defensive backfield, we won't lose games because of our D. I'm just not one of the guys who count stars. I do pay attention when they are at the skilled positions at times, especially running back and at last look, we have a stud coming in from SE Texas who is D-1 ready. So you can have LSU and Leslie Miles. I'll keep my Hogs and make it 90% that we keep the Golden Boot for the third consecutive year.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on May 13, 2016, 01:48:17 pm
And the stars come out in the daytime....I don't give a damn what some blogging head in Saturday Down South says...I know what I see and our D-line dominated their O-line to the tune of 59 yards rushing with a Heisman trophy candidate in the backfield. And "OH MY GOSH ! The Hogs poor little defense did all this at DEATH VALLEY on a Baton Rouge SATURDAY NIGHT !"  All I've heard from LSU fans over the years when we played on Friday afternoon the day after Thanksgiving, "Oh, you guys are lucky, you'll never beat us if you have to play us on a Saturday night in Baton Rouge."  Well, one myth quickly down the porcelain god. All I'm saying is that if we want to be elite, we must think elite. When Agim is unleashed off the corner in passing situations (and he will be coming from the blind side against LSU) I can promise you more than one QB will have to be helped off the field this year. This is one of the top 5 defenses we've had in the modern era. IMO, the best since 1977. Now our record may not be better because Austin Allen has a long way to go to catch up to big brother. But the defense is stellar and with a DB guru like Paul Rhoads coaching the defensive backfield, we won't lose games because of our D. I'm just not one of the guys who count stars. I do pay attention when they are at the skilled positions at times, especially running back and at last look, we have a stud coming in from SE Texas who is D-1 ready. So you can have LSU and Leslie Miles. I'll keep my Hogs and make it 90% that we keep the Golden Boot for the third consecutive year.

Before the game they said LSU was like 63-3 when playing at home at night.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: ChitownHawg on May 13, 2016, 01:59:16 pm
Before the game they said LSU was like 63-3 when playing at home at night.
that simply cannot be true...Alabama has been to Red Stick at night a lot through the years....but that's just a guess on my part

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on May 13, 2016, 02:07:08 pm
that simply cannot be true...Alabama has been to Red Stick at night a lot through the years....but that's just a guess on my part

My numbers were a little off: (2014 without the Hog loss)

A total of 52 games have been played at night at Tiger Stadium on Miles' watch, and only four teams — Tennessee (2005), Alabama (2012, '14), Florida (2009) and Mississippi State (2014) — have escaped with a win. Miles is 4-1 against the Gators in Baton Rouge, though Florida holds a 16-15 advantage in the all-time series with LSU in Tiger Stadium. (Miles is 18-4 in day games at Tiger Stadium.)

http://gridironnow.com/lsus-tiger-stadium-a-house-of-horrors-for-opponents/

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: ChitownHawg on May 13, 2016, 02:26:02 pm
My numbers were a little off: (2014 without the Hog loss)

A total of 52 games have been played at night at Tiger Stadium on Miles' watch, and only four teams — Tennessee (2005), Alabama (2012, '14), Florida (2009) and Mississippi State (2014) — have escaped with a win. Miles is 4-1 against the Gators in Baton Rouge, though Florida holds a 16-15 advantage in the all-time series with LSU in Tiger Stadium. (Miles is 18-4 in day games at Tiger Stadium.)

http://gridironnow.com/lsus-tiger-stadium-a-house-of-horrors-for-opponents/
I'll bet that 61-3 number is for out of conference opposition...just a guess

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on May 13, 2016, 05:27:16 pm
I'll bet that 61-3 number is for out of conference opposition...just a guess

Good point and it very well could be. Anyway we are just one of a handful of teams to walk out with a win.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 11, 2016, 12:01:35 pm
Yes I believe so but we got to get over the losing non conferance games we should win.  Remember Toledo !
actually that doesnt matter a single bit if we lose 1 OOC.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on May 11, 2016, 11:56:24 pm
They may lose to Ole Miss again this season because Ole Miss will have a QB, and because Ole Miss will spread Alabama's Defense out into space.  As far as them losing another game besides to Ole Miss in the SEC, that may not happen because others try to play smash mouth with Alabama.

I presume the rest of the SEC can't see what Ohio State, Ole Miss (the last 2 seasons), and Clemson (scored 40 points against them) has done against Alabama, and that is spread out Alabama's Defense and make their bulked up physical defenders have to defend out in space sideline-to-sideline.
Arkansas will do the same thing this year and I will be there to tear down them goalposts! WPFS!
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

Arden-Key is a beast but I'm with you. Not trading.
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on May 13, 2016, 07:55:54 am
Sad, but true. Being a hog fan is like sitting at a blackjack table in Vegas. You will have a hot streak from time to time, but the grind always favors the house.
Not exactly true. I KILLED it year before last (but didnt even bet the hogs last year) betting them half a dozen times. In 2014 they covered the spread every time i bet them , i think they never failed to cover all season iirc.
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on May 13, 2016, 01:48:17 pm
+1. Crush him, OG!!!
@Slackaveli

MuskogeeHogFan

I think you mis-read my post. I didn't even mention LSU's backfield, only the two OT's that they have to replace. I think that LSU should be very good this coming season, especially on defense. Plus, I believe that they return 100% of all of their rushing yards. They still have some problem solving to do at both OT's nonetheless. But their returning front 7 and ours compare well with each other in terms of returning games of experience and returning starts. I think it will come down to which offense has progressed the most by the time we meet and obviously, who makes the fewest mistakes.
Go Hogs Go!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 13, 2016, 06:03:24 pm
I think you mis-read my post. I didn't even mention LSU's backfield, only the two OT's that they have to replace. I think that LSU should be very good this coming season, especially on defense. Plus, I believe that they return 100% of all of their rushing yards. They still have some problem solving to do at both OT's nonetheless. But their returning front 7 and ours compare well with each other in terms of returning games of experience and returning starts. I think it will come down to which offense has progressed the most by the time we meet and obviously, who makes the fewest mistakes.

Brandon Harris has to be a LOT better than he was last year. A good pass rusher seems to rattle him. If they try to primarily run then defenses will stack the box. Fournette is good, but few backs can make yards when an SEC defense stacks the box.

I think their D may keep them closer in the games, but without a QB who can pass they will lose 2 or 3 games this year.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ChitownHawg on May 13, 2016, 06:17:13 pm
Brandon Harris has to be a LOT better than he was last year. A good pass rusher seems to rattle him. If they try to primarily run then defenses will stack the box. Fournette is good, but few backs can make yards when an SEC defense stacks the box.

I think their D may keep them closer in the games, but without a QB who can pass they will lose 2 or 3 games this year.

And with all that has been stated about LSU in this thread, along with your comments, that is why I think that at this point, LSU and Arkansas stand pretty equal overall.

Both teams have QB questions to be answered.

LSU already has an established backfield, we still aren't sure what we are going to be able to do there. It could be very good, or it could be a learning experience for the coming season.

They lose both OT's, we lose a Center and the entire left side of our OL. They lose 74 career starts, we lose 83.

They return 2157 receiving yards and we return 2523 receiving yards.

But it is on defense where both teams seem to mirror each other to a greater degree and both defenses should be improved this coming season though we need our LB's to be more productive in pass defense this season.

As I said above, I think that how many wins both of these teams acquire during the season is going to hinge to a great degree on whose offense makes the most progress and gels more quickly.
Go Hogs Go!

Torqued pork

Any LSU head coach would be able to put great athletes on a depth chart year after year. Luckily for us and the entire conference, in the foggy world of Les Miles the starting QB isn't any more important than the 2nd team fullback. Long live Les!