Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NY Times: Difficult Shift From College Spread to the Pros

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, April 23, 2016, 07:07:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

NFL personnel discuss how they find it easier to predict a successful transition for certain players to the NFL based on the systems employed by their schools. Hunter Henry is one example that they speak of in this article.

Arkansas tight end Hunter Henry is seen as a high pick because he ran routes in a pro-style system, a rarity in college football.

With regard to O-Linemen: Rick Spielman, the Vikings' general manager, noted how difficult it could be "to teach them how to get into a three-point stance, how to run-block," because of the restrictions on practice time under the labor agreement.

Mike Solari, the Giants' offensive-line coach, said there was "a tremendous learning curve as far as technique and fundamentals for young offensive linemen" entering the league. "There is always a sense of urgency to get them up to speed," he said.

With regard to DB's however: But defensive backs have prospered from the proliferation of wide-open offenses. "The ball is in the air more, they are learning to tackle out more in the open grass," Savage said. "It is a tough job for those college D.B.s, playing against three and four receivers every snap. Colleges run two receivers deep on one side, they exit the field, and two fresh receivers are basically doing the same thing on the next play. The D.B. is the same guy. He's learning from that."

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/23/sports/football/a-difficult-shift-from-college-spread-to-pros.html?_r=0
Go Hogs Go!

IronMountainHog

But Malzahn and Briles are coaching geniuses lol. They sure have flooded NFL rosters with their quarterbacks who lit it up (sarcasm).

JIHawg

I hope this kind of stuff is a part of our recruiting messaging.  It sure should be.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: JIHawg on April 23, 2016, 08:00:51 am
I hope this kind of stuff is a part of our recruiting messaging.  It sure should be.

Another excerpt from the article speaks directly to your point.

So, you have a quarterback who played in the spread and never took a snap at the line of scrimmage. And receivers who do not understand route trees. Not to mention linebackers who rarely played in tight quarters. And blockers who have not gotten into a three-point stance since high school. Or junior high.
Go Hogs Go!

TUSKtimes

Wish I could tell everyone that the spread is dead, but still fun to read on the disadvantages others are going through because of it. On the bright side, we get a lot of kids who say they're at Bama to prepare to play in the NFL. The diversity of the pro-set, the fundamentals taught to each position are valid reasons Bama has enjoyed incredible success in this hurry up, spread em out era, (I mean error), of college football. 

ChicoHog

I've been saying it for years.  There has not been one successful NFL QB who came from a "throw it every down shotgun" offense yet.  Jared Goff may be the first but time will tell.  Newton came from Malzahn's spread but I don't count that as it was only one year and it was a running offense more than passing.  None of Leach's QBs have done anything in the league nor have Baylor's.  Oregon neither although Mariotta may make it.  Eventually some will as there are so many it's bound to happen. 

ChitownHawg

Quote from: ChicoHog on April 23, 2016, 09:55:37 am
I've been saying it for years.  There has not been one successful NFL QB who came from a "throw it every down shotgun" offense yet.  Jared Goff may be the first but time will tell.  Newton came from Malzahn's spread but I don't count that as it was only one year and it was a running offense more than passing.  None of Leach's QBs have done anything in the league nor have Baylor's.  Oregon neither although Mariotta may make it.  Eventually some will as there are so many it's bound to happen.

Cam's success in the NFL can be attributed to his competitive nature and drive to excel. Malzahn is simply a footnote in Cam's biography.  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: IronMountainHog on April 23, 2016, 07:36:31 am
But Malzahn and Briles are coaching geniuses lol. They sure have flooded NFL rosters with their quarterbacks who lit it up (sarcasm).

I'm sure some have lit it up............Oh wait you mean playing a football game.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Rison Razor Hog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 23, 2016, 10:47:13 am
I'm sure some have lit it up............Oh wait you mean playing a football game.

Humor, hah!  ;)

I guess we'll see what happens. Every year there are spectacular busts after players have to meet expectations and then flame out. From the teams' and league's perspective, the poor draft decisions don't seem to cost too many jobs. I reckon it'll all come out in the wash.
And on my deathbed, I'll achieve total consciousness, so I've got that goin' for me!

To paraphrase Benjamin Franklin: Billions for defense, but not one cent for dhimmitude!

DeltaBoy

It been a sad story how all these all world Spread QB's have flamed out in the NFL!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogsanity

The article, to me anyway, pointed out the lack of teaching that the non skill positions are dealing with. It is almost unthinkable that a lineman coming out of college would not know how to run block., or receivers basically who only know how to run a couple of routes, but have no idea on how to do the other things they need to do in the nfl.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Seebs

When I played the only thing I learned was to move when the coach swung his whistle to hit me in the helmet.
Oh, and to not eat Black Cherry ice cream right before two-a-days.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hogsanity on April 26, 2016, 11:18:49 am
The article, to me anyway, pointed out the lack of teaching that the non skill positions are dealing with. It is almost unthinkable that a lineman coming out of college would not know how to run block., or receivers basically who only know how to run a couple of routes, but have no idea on how to do the other things they need to do in the nfl.

Amen to that. Pretty sad state of affairs.
Go Hogs Go!

longpig

The failure of June Jones' record setting Hawaii QBs in the pros is the first time I took notice.
Don't be scared, be smart.

Hogs run wild

Quote from: longpig on April 26, 2016, 12:37:41 pm
The failure of June Jones' record setting Hawaii QBs in the pros is the first time I took notice.
was Andre ware and David kingler ahead of your time?
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hogs run wild on April 26, 2016, 02:36:24 pm

Ware (7th pick of the 1st Round in 1990) spent four years with Detroit, playing 14 games and starting six: then-coach Wayne Fontes insisted on starting the oft-injured Rodney Peete, and usually replacing Peete with Erik Kramer when Peete was hurt or played poorly. Fontes generally only played Ware when the Lions were out of the playoffs or already losing a game by a wide margin. Ware's best stretch came late in the 1992 season when the Lions were out of the playoffs: he won two of three games. The loss came on Monday Night Football to the San Francisco 49ers. He began 1994 on the roster of the Los Angeles Raiders, but was released after several games. In 1995 he was signed by the Jacksonville Jaguars, one of the NFL's two expansion teams that year. As a former Heisman Trophy winner, Ware's presence gathered much local excitement in Jacksonville,[2] but ultimately, Ware was cut from the team the week before the regular season began.

Ware also played in the Canadian Football League with the Ottawa Rough Riders, the BC Lions and the Toronto Argonauts (where he backed up fellow Heisman winner Doug Flutie), and five games with the Berlin Thunder, a German NFL Europe team.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andre_Ware

Klingler was taken in the 1st round of the 1992 NFL Draft by the Cincinnati Bengals. From 1992 to 1995 he played for the Bengals—starting for the Bengals in 1993 and 1994 before losing his job to Jeff Blake. He then played two seasons as a backup for the Oakland Raiders. In 1998, he signed with the Green Bay Packers to back up Brett Favre, but he was cut and didn't play.[2]

Klingler was not effective after undergoing shoulder surgery after the 1994 NFL season and had shoulder surgery after his third season, at which point he knew his career was all but done. Before the operation he could heave a ball 85 yards; afterward he struggled to reach 35.[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Klingler

They didn't exactly set the world on fire in the NFL.
Go Hogs Go!

snoblind

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 23, 2016, 10:47:13 am
I'm sure some have lit it up…………Oh wait you mean playing a football game.

solid...

ChicoHog

Quote from: longpig on April 26, 2016, 12:37:41 pm
That's a great example.  Colt brennan had a cup of coffee with the Redskins I think and that was it.  Same as all of Leach's Texas Tech QBs. 

Hawgzinbowlz

Developing a reputation for having the system that has a player well prepared for the NFL will help our recruiting exponentially...as it sells...particularly with our increased success.

At this time in the recruiting process our current recruiting targets seem to be more positive than in years past.

" GO HOGS "

Hogs run wild

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!

ChitownHawg

These are the two QBs you decide to base your argument on?  :D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

DeltaBoy

Run and Shoot QBs and all of Leaches and June Jones boys all flamed out or never made it to the NFL.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

longpig

Were before I took notice, American football was a little hard to follow from roadless Himalayan villages in the early to mid 90s. ;)
Don't be scared, be smart.

Pancetta

Derw Brees is the only NFL successful  spread guy I can think of but I don't believe he ran a hurry up no huddle.
Jump Ball / Re: Time to hit the panic button?
January 06, 2022, 05:32:59 pm
Nah. Every single transfer can score. The shots will come once the pecking order gets sorted out.
Pancetta

Hogs run wild

Quote from: longpig on April 27, 2016, 12:13:23 pm
Were before I took notice, American football was a little hard to follow from roadless Himalayan villages in the early to mid 90s. ;)
No worries. Just wondering if anyone else remembered what I remembered about the old SWC days. Back in the day, Houston Cougers had WRs running all over the field putting up crazy numbers. We (the Hogs) had a slow defense built to stop run oriented teams. We won our fair share of games against them though.

DeltaBoy

The Run and Shoot was pretty wild but Hatfield's D Coach figured it out.

Tier1hog

I've been saying it for years.  There has not been one successful NFL QB who came from a "throw it every down shotgun" offense yet. Jared Goff may be the first but time will tell.  Newton came from Malzahn's spread but I don't count that as it was only one year and it was a running offense more than passing.  None of Leach's QBs have done anything in the league nor have Baylor's.  Oregon neither although Mariotta may make it.  Eventually some will as there are so many it's bound to happen.

Drew Brees.

ChicoHog

It was so long ago I don't remember much about Brees days at Purdue.  Was Joe Tiller his coach?  I think he came from Wyoming and he did throw it a lot. 

I just read an article in SI about the pro GMs and coaches frustration with today's college player and lack of fundamentals.  OL not learning how to block out of 3 point stance, QBs who can't read defenses, WRs who only know a few different patterns, etc.,  They mentioned programs like Iowa, Wisconsin, Stanford, Alabama, Michigan and Michigan st etc., as colleges that still us pros style offenses but no mention of the Hogs.