Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kyrei Fisher

Started by Airforcehawg, November 06, 2016, 01:34:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Airforcehawg

Looks like we just offered this 6'2, 230 Lb OLB from Tulsa Union who is currently committed to Minnesota today. I am guessing crystal ball pick for us was in response to the offer.

http://247sports.com/Player/Kyrei-Fisher-89961

Prestworthy

Odd that none of the big 3 in OK offered him.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Prestworthy on November 06, 2016, 04:18:43 am

OK has a Big 3? I thought it was more of a 1 and 1/2

Prestworthy

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on November 06, 2016, 06:42:14 am
OK has a Big 3? I thought it was more of a 1 and 1/2
You get my point. His hometown school, Tulsa, hasn't offered.

zane

Quote from: Prestworthy on November 06, 2016, 07:07:52 am

Does Tulsa even field a defense?
RIP LSUfan

jackflash

My question is this does this mean were not doing well with LB we have been recruiting

tophawg19

it would be nice to get a foot or two in at Tulsa Union . they tend to have some good kids every year
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: jackflash on November 06, 2016, 08:24:36 am
My question is this does this mean were not doing well with LB we have been recruiting

I asked RD if this meant bad news on Johnston. He responded that this offer has nothing to do with Johnson

Prestworthy

jjdlc

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on November 06, 2016, 10:24:57 am
I asked RD if this meant bad news on Johnston. He responded that this offer has nothing to do with Johnson

Just my opinion, but this appears to be a case of a kid having a solid senior season, and earning the offer.  We do continue to evaluate players past their Jr. year.

ricepig

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on November 06, 2016, 10:24:57 am

Johnson or Johnston?? I think you confused yourself. I know I mix up the teammates.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: ricepig on November 06, 2016, 11:48:06 am
Johnson or Johnston?? I think you confused yourself. I know I mix up the teammates.

The LB. whichever one that is. Isnt the DE Thomas?

ricepig

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Prestworthy on November 06, 2016, 10:55:47 am
Helping my point. Thanks

LOL.  He definitely did.

It's very obvious our recruiting strategy has changed.  We'll know how effective it is in a few years.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Oklahawg

Quote from: Prestworthy on November 06, 2016, 07:07:52 am

Welcome to the recruiting world. I'll help with this one: a non-P5 school, Tulsa, will not waste a lot of time recruiting (even locally) players who get P5 offers. OU does not recruit OK like you might think. OSU gets some, but both of these schools are heavily invested in TX.

This does not mean that Fisher couldn't help Tulsa, or wouldn't be appropriate for them to offer. I suspect he knew long ago that he didn't want to drive across down to college. That matters also.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 06, 2016, 02:07:45 pm
Welcome to the recruiting world. I'll help with this one: a non-P5 school, Tulsa, will not waste a lot of time recruiting (even locally) players who get P5 offers. OU does not recruit OK like you might think. OSU gets some, but both of these schools are heavily invested in TX.

This does not mean that Fisher couldn't help Tulsa, or wouldn't be appropriate for them to offer. I suspect he knew long ago that he didn't want to drive across down to college. That matters also.

So your saying Tulsa wouldn't even waste a stamp on this kid?  And OU and OSU think he's worthy of a scholarship, but they're too busy in TX to get around to offering?
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

SemperFi

I lived in Tulsa for two years and Oklahawg is right. There is so much talent in the area with two very historic programs, Union and Jenks with Broken Arrow occasionally having a few P5 level players, but I've never heard any of those kids talking about going to the University of Tulsa. I've been to the campus and it's not in the best part of town and is nothing special. If the kids aren't being recruited by OU or Ok Lite then they tend to go out of state.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

tophawg19

one thing , teams like OU and OSU tend to think they can get any instate kid they want so they are slow to offer . often waiting to the last minute if they miss on another one

ricepig

Quote from: tophawg19 on November 06, 2016, 03:37:09 pm
one thing , teams like OU and OSU tend to think they can get any instate kid they want so they are slow to offer . often waiting to the last minute if they miss on another one
Not unlike us.

tophawg19

true we have done it in the past as well

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: tophawg19 on November 06, 2016, 03:37:09 pm

This is common, but typically done to marginal recruits...recruits who's offers are not on their level.  They wouldn't do it with true top talent.  Just like we don't either. 

Oklahawg

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 06, 2016, 03:49:43 pm
This is common, but typically done to marginal recruits...recruits who's offers are not on their level.  They wouldn't do it with true top talent.  Just like we don't either. 

Correct.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

Quote from: SemperFi on November 06, 2016, 03:22:42 pm
I lived in Tulsa for two years and Oklahawg is right. There is so much talent in the area with two very historic programs, Union and Jenks with Broken Arrow occasionally having a few P5 level players, but I've never heard any of those kids talking about going to the University of Tulsa. I've been to the campus and it's not in the best part of town and is nothing special. If the kids aren't being recruited by OU or Ok Lite then they tend to go out of state.

Every 3-4 years there is a push by TU into the local HS scene. They get 3-4 kids from Jenks or one of the private schools around town. It is a very elite academic school that doesn't hold an appeal to all kids.

OU and OSU have encountered a bit of the LSU Syndrome of late. They try to ID the in-staters early and then shift all of the energy to out-of-state recruiting. As mentioned elsewhere, they come back to Oklahoma to fill in or try to land late kids who blow up.

OU tried to woo Austin Cantrell after he had committed to UA. Didn't work!

There is always a player or two who explode onto the scene and gets missed because the in-state schools do their due diligence for 3 years and then move on. Josh Jacobs at Tulsa McLain, now at Bama, is a nice example. No, he didn't have a TU offer either.

secneahog

This guy has great instincts, even as a freshman.
He closes very quickly, with a lot of pop.
He lines up at wr and takes it 70+ yards. Just shows how athletic he was, as a freshman. 

We need linebackers like him. 

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/3436198/5721b4fa9a91677e74792516
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: secneahog on November 07, 2016, 08:46:32 am
This guy has great instincts, even as a freshman.
He closes very quickly, with a lot of pop.
He lines up at wr and takes it 70+ yards. Just shows how athletic he was, as a freshman. 

We need linebackers like him. 

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/3436198/5721b4fa9a91677e74792516

we need LB's whose only P5 offers, besides Arkansas, aren't Kansas and Minnesota.

secneahog

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on November 07, 2016, 12:04:16 pm
we need LB's whose only P5 offers, besides Arkansas, aren't Kansas and Minnesota.

Thanks for your intriguing post.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: secneahog on November 07, 2016, 12:37:53 pm
Thanks for your intriguing post.

yet, accurate.  look, I'm sure he's a good kid and a fine player but we don't have the luxury of playing teams like Kansas and Minn as part of our conference.  Thomas Johnston, Bumper Pool.  Guys like that are how we take a step forward at the position.  And by the way, Johnston is a 3* just like Fisher.  But it's obvious that coaches from elite P5 programs see something in Johnston they don't see in Fisher.  And it's not like Fisher is flying under the radar.  Playing at Union gets a kid all the pub they need.

jjdlc

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on November 07, 2016, 12:41:47 pm
yet, accurate.  look, I'm sure he's a good kid and a fine player but we don't have the luxury of playing teams like Kansas and Minn as part of our conference.  Thomas Johnston, Bumper Pool.  Guys like that are how we take a step forward at the position.  And by the way, Johnston is a 3* just like Fisher.  But it's obvious that coaches from elite P5 programs see something in Johnston they don't see in Fisher.  And it's not like Fisher is flying under the radar.  Playing at Union gets a kid all the pub they need.

So your saying there is no chance this kid has had a great senior year, and that other offers may soon follow?

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: jjdlc on November 07, 2016, 01:39:23 pm
So your saying there is no chance this kid has had a great senior year, and that other offers may soon follow?

not what I said but in answer to your question, it is unlikely at this point.  he is nearly done with his senior season and plays at a high profile high school.  If the offers were going to pour in, it's likely that would have happened already.  Does that meant he won't pick a couple more good offers, especially from schools who have missed on their preferred targets?  Not at all.  but I think you understand my point.

ricepig

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on November 07, 2016, 02:25:41 pm
not what I said but in answer to your question, it is unlikely at this point.  he is nearly done with his senior season and plays at a high profile high school.  If the offers were going to pour in, it's likely that would have happened already.  Does that meant he won't pick a couple more good offers, especially from schools who have missed on their preferred targets?  Not at all.  but I think you understand my point.

Yeah, seems like there was a RB from the Tulsa area last year that caught a lot of late attention, hmm.....now who was that.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: ricepig on November 07, 2016, 02:38:58 pm
Yeah, seems like there was a RB from the Tulsa area last year that caught a lot of late attention, hmm.....now who was that.
no idea who you're referring to (although I probably should) but it doesn't really matter.  I think everyone understands there are exceptions to every rule.  That's why I attempt not to speak in absolutes when it comes to recruiting.

ricepig

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on November 07, 2016, 02:42:56 pm
no idea who you're referring to (although I probably should) but it doesn't really matter.  I think everyone understands there are exceptions to every rule.  That's why I attempt not to speak in absolutes when it comes to recruiting.

Josh Jacobs, he got offers the last week of recruiting, and ended up signing with Bama, and playing. Of course, he got bumped up to 4* after his choice, but his best offer before the last week was Wyoming.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: ricepig on November 07, 2016, 02:48:46 pm
Josh Jacobs, he got offers the last week of recruiting, and ended up signing with Bama, and playing. Of course, he got bumped up to 4* after his choice, but his best offer before the last week was Wyoming.

fantastic example of an exception.  As I said, it happens.  And maybe Fisher will be one.  Likely not though.

ricepig

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on November 07, 2016, 02:59:59 pm
fantastic example of an exception.  As I said, it happens.  And maybe Fisher will be one.  Likely not though.

Too early to tell, but I'm not a talent evaluator like you, haha.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: ricepig on November 07, 2016, 03:09:13 pm
Too early to tell, but I'm not a talent evaluator like you, haha.

truth

jjdlc

Quote from: ricepig on November 07, 2016, 02:48:46 pm

There were people here, who were screaming bloody murder because they thought we were fixing to offer some no name 3* (before his bump), because we didn't get Porter to go with Whaley.

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on November 07, 2016, 02:25:41 pm

This is the time of year when we start seeing recruiting rankings updated based on senior year performance.  We'll also see a lot of new offers going out, not from just us either. 

RD even talks about how we've continued to monitor certain in state kids who could still possibly receive offers based on their performance this season.  This kid is close enough to home to fall in that category of kids we've monitored.

RazorPiggie

Dude has some arms on him. Actually looks like a LBer

LJHOG

Oklahawg

Here's what I take from the thread: a bunch of whiny [CENSORED] hasn't seen a kid play ball, wouldn't likely know where Union high school is located or what the seating capacity is of the stadium (or some other irrelevant data)...but they are convinced the kid can't play P5 football. Unreal.

These HV all-star posters may not realize that a number of players at schools like Union don't play until their senior year, or have to play out of position because of the level of talent in front of them. They'll whine further that they should start as a sophomore or junior because that's what P5 players do, but won't check the depth chart over the last couple of years to see who might have actually been playing in front of him.

Nope, let's not research or study or understand the bigger picture. Instead, let's show off the worst of HV by being whiny [CENSORED].

Hope this kid lands at UA and some back scratchers have to eat their own dung as a result.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 06, 2016, 08:01:50 pm
Every 3-4 years there is a push by TU into the local HS scene. They get 3-4 kids from Jenks or one of the private schools around town. It is a very elite academic school that doesn't hold an appeal to all kids.

OU and OSU have encountered a bit of the LSU Syndrome of late. They try to ID the in-staters early and then shift all of the energy to out-of-state recruiting. As mentioned elsewhere, they come back to Oklahoma to fill in or try to land late kids who blow up.

OU tried to woo Austin Cantrell after he had committed to UA. Didn't work!

There is always a player or two who explode onto the scene and gets missed because the in-state schools do their due diligence for 3 years and then move on. Josh Jacobs at Tulsa McLain, now at Bama, is a nice example. No, he didn't have a TU offer either.

I did not realize Tulsa was so well thought of academically. I am not being sarcastic, but my only real knowledge of them isthat their law school was a very forgiving fallback.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on November 08, 2016, 12:53:38 am
I did not realize Tulsa was so well thought of academically. I am not being sarcastic, but my only real knowledge of them isthat their law school was a very forgiving fallback.

I have a really good buddy that went to Tulsa Law School. lol

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 07, 2016, 10:06:53 pm
Here's what I take from the thread: a bunch of whiny [CENSORED] hasn't seen a kid play ball, wouldn't likely know where Union high school is located or what the seating capacity is of the stadium (or some other irrelevant data)...but they are convinced the kid can't play P5 football. Unreal.

These HV all-star posters may not realize that a number of players at schools like Union don't play until their senior year, or have to play out of position because of the level of talent in front of them. They'll whine further that they should start as a sophomore or junior because that's what P5 players do, but won't check the depth chart over the last couple of years to see who might have actually been playing in front of him.

Nope, let's not research or study or understand the bigger picture. Instead, let's show off the worst of HV by being whiny [CENSORED].

Hope this kid lands at UA and some back scratchers have to eat their own dung as a result.

strange...not at all what I took from it.  reasonable questions were asked by some, opinions were given by others...no one got out of hand....also, what do you have against scratching one's back if one has an itch?

Oklahawg

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on November 08, 2016, 12:53:38 am

Top 50 private school nationally. Probably the equal of OU or Arkansas, if you allow the large give/take that goes into these rankings. Hit a bit of a bump of late because oil/gas revenue is tightly connected to their endowment investments.

Oklahawg

Fisher's interest in UA is also helping us with Union's CB Tre Brown, an OU commit. I think we are a definite option for Brown to flip.

Both are very good athletes.

Hogberry Snortcake

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 17, 2016, 10:30:23 am
Fisher's interest in UA is also helping us with Union's CB Tre Brown, an OU commit. I think we are a definite option for Brown to flip.

Both are very good athletes.

That's good to hear.  He doesn't have a best friend or cousin that's a 5* DL, does he? 

Athog

Quote from: Prestworthy on November 06, 2016, 04:18:43 am

Big 3? Who are they univ of ok, ok light, and hmmmmm cent ok?

The Hogfather

Quote from: Athog on November 17, 2016, 03:48:41 pm
Big 3? Who are they univ of ok, ok light, and hmmmmm cent ok?

Tulsa?

Oklahawg

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 17, 2016, 04:07:21 pm
Tulsa?

Tulsa might be the best team in Oklahoma. They were hosed on bad calls at the end of both the Navy and Houston games (the same Houston that blew the doors off of OU in the opener).

sickboy

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 17, 2016, 04:12:26 pm
Tulsa might be the best team in Oklahoma. They were hosed on bad calls at the end of both the Navy and Houston games (the same Houston that blew the doors off of OU in the opener).

I like Tulsa, but I don't think they've got the umph to beat Oklahoma. OK is the better team.

Oklahawg

Quote from: sickboy on November 17, 2016, 08:57:43 pm
I like Tulsa, but I don't think they've got the umph to beat Oklahoma. OK is the better team.

You are probably right, but I bet TU would hang 35-40 on the OU defense.