Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If Stars don't matter, does it matter what other schools are recruiting

Started by farmhawg, November 04, 2016, 07:54:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

farmhawg

The players?

Not arguing if stars matter or not but if we just look at what other schools are recruiting our commits it seems pretty low. Out of 19 commits, other sec schools are only recruiting 7 of them. Only two are being recruited by bama and auburn.

I am sure they are all great young men but it looks like we are just not going to be competitive again with this class.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

ricepig

Well, they don't play each other on the first Wednesday in February, so time will tell. Most ever school in the West recruits better than we do/have, so that's not likely to change.

arlhog

If stars didn't matter they wouldn't exist.   When was the last time you remember hearing RD say that a 2 star player would come in and make an immediate impact?????   It just is what it is.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: arlhog on November 04, 2016, 09:56:16 pm
If stars didn't matter they wouldn't exist.   
Stars exist.  And they matter. 

To the recruiting service who sells you a subscription to tell you what anyone can see.

I mean, seriously?  Who can't tell a 5 star?  The thing that separates coaches is the ability to project what a 3 star will be in 3-4 years.  And the recruiting services don't have a damn clue on that one.
All Gas, No Brakes!

thefisher

Quote from: farmhawg on November 04, 2016, 07:54:12 pm
The players?

Not arguing if stars matter or not but if we just look at what other schools are recruiting our commits it seems pretty low. Out of 19 commits, other sec schools are only recruiting 7 of them. Only two are being recruited by bama and auburn.

I am sure they are all great young men but it looks like we are just not going to be competitive again with this class.

Stars matter GENERALLY.  They are general overall guidelines but not the be all and end all in EVERY situation.  Arkansas needs to recruit in a ranking of the top 15 in the country to compete for the SEC West.  They are currently recruiting in the top 25. Great chance to win another conference including the SEC East at that level ... but better overall general recruiting is needed to accomplish winning the West.

To date no one ....I mean NO ONE  (Nutt, CBP, CBB, etc.)has found a way to make that happen.  If you do then you have an immediate million dollar paycheck per year from the U of A coming.
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

farmhawg

Only seven are being recruited by other sec schools......seven. Why does that scare me?
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

ricepig

Quote from: farmhawg on November 05, 2016, 08:07:47 am
Only seven are being recruited by other sec schools......seven. Why does that scare me?

You're easily scared?

jm

Stars do not matter at all. Having better players is what is important. If any coach can find 3 star players that play better than 5 star players, they will win more games.

Hawghiggs

When these rating services first started they missed on a lot of players. Fast forward 10-20 years. These same services have actually gotten really good at predicting athletic skill. They still don't factor in academics, and no one will ever be able to predict what's in the head of 17-18 year old.

ThisTeetsTaken

With the exception of a few true diamonds in the rough, most SEC caliber recruits are known by most all SEC schools and are recruited if the position need is there.  For the most part offers are indicative of talent IMO.  I'll add that schools like Bama and LSU, etc seem to have the advantage of being able to concentrate on talent that is field ready (5 stars) while schools like Arkansas have to rely on kids with talent (3 star) that needs to be developed before they can contribute on this level. 
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

farmhawg

Quote from: jm on November 05, 2016, 09:43:25 am
Stars do not matter at all. Having better players is what is important. If any coach can find 3 star players that play better than 5 star players, they will win more games.
So our evaluation is suspect?
From theflyinghog

ricepig

Quote from: farmhawg on November 05, 2016, 10:33:42 am

Isn't everyone's? I mean Bama misses on players all the time, the only difference is they have a 4* replacement. If you think we'll ever recruit on Bama, LSU, tOSU, or any of the perennial top 5/6, then you will be deeply disappointed.

farmhawg

Everyone misses, yes I get that. We start off with players the rest of the sec is not recruiting so we miss before we get started? Our probability of a miss is much higher than our probability of a hit.

We keep hearing that it's our recruiting is not great and they are correct.
From theflyinghog

Jim Harris

Quote from: farmhawg on November 04, 2016, 07:54:12 pm
The players?

Arkansas reset its recruiting goals after last signing day.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: farmhawg on November 05, 2016, 10:33:42 am

Not at all.  There's a distinct difference between evaluation and actually signing.

Quote from: Jim Harris on November 05, 2016, 11:13:45 am

Yes, the current class makes that very obvious.  Clearly not wasting time with many top players.  Going after the lower hanging fruit in an effort to actually fill a class.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

farmhawg

So we decided to recruit players that aren't being recruited in the sec?
From theflyinghog

East TN HAWG

Although each individual star may or may not be accurate, in totality they are accurate.  Schools that have high star ratings generally have better talent.  Stars matter

Oklahawg

Quote from: farmhawg on November 05, 2016, 01:08:01 pm
So we decided to recruit players that aren't being recruited in the sec?

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 05, 2016, 12:07:16 pm
Yes, the current class makes that very obvious.  Clearly not wasting time with many top players.  Going after the lower hanging fruit in an effort to actually fill a class.

No, went after length/speed at DB and LB. Targeted specifically players with high football IQ.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 05, 2016, 04:19:02 pm
No, went after length/speed at DB and LB. Targeted specifically players with high football IQ.

And that changes nothing about my post, chief.  There are plenty of top recruits that fit your description.  We just aren't waisting our time with them.  We're learning to focus on and pursue what we actually have a chance to get.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

zebradynasty

The only schools that make that argument are schools that don't have many. Boise State about the only program with success playing the BIG boys with all the big stars without having a lot big name recruits. However, that's misleading because Boise State doesn't have to play against that type talent every weekend.

onebadrubi

Quote from: zebradynasty on November 05, 2016, 06:35:36 pm
The only schools that make that argument are schools that don't have many. Boise State about the only program with success playing the BIG boys with all the big stars without having a lot big name recruits. However, that's misleading because Boise State doesn't have to play against that type talent every weekend.

The Boise st you are referring too is no more. You now are seeing that success at Washington and it was all the coach.

SemperFi

Please elaborate.

Ask Ole Miss, Tenner, Georgia and Florida how those highly rated recruiting classes are working out. Development of the players is paramount. A coaches evaluation of a kid in HS weighs far more than that of a guy that is looking to sell subscriptions to a magazine. We've all been to watch HS football games and everyone here can identify a kid that is just better than the other kids on the field, but how many of us can identify that kid with a whole lot of upside that needs to be developed? This is where Arkansas finds itself and we're doing a good job of it as witnessed in the Florida game yesterday. 
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: SemperFi on November 06, 2016, 03:47:20 pm
Please elaborate.

Ask Ole Miss, Tenner, Georgia and Florida how those highly rated recruiting classes are working out. Development of the players is paramount. A coaches evaluation of a kid in HS weighs far more than that of a guy that is looking to sell subscriptions to a magazine. We've all been to watch HS football games and everyone here can identify a kid that is just better than the other kids on the field, but how many of us can identify that kid with a whole lot of upside that needs to be developed? This where Arkansas finds itself and we're doing a good job of it as witnessed in the Florida game yesterday. 

This has been argued over and over.  You need both coaching and talent.  We aren't going to win anything of significance relying on developing diamonds in the rough.  It's no coincidence that the vast majority of Razorbacks we hold in high regard over say the last decade were not diamonds in the rough.  They were sought after recruits by good programs.  There are always exceptions to the rule, but the rule rules.

Now, I've also been a broken record with the argument that we won't get our fair share of the top talent, so we have to absolutely be effective as you describe.  It just won't likely win anything of significance.  At least not with the SECW as it is.  I don't like it, but I don't fault BB for it.

I believe Jim's point is that this idea is settling in with BB.  he's not wasting much time anymore, or at least not in this class, with pursuing these top players that we have little chance of signing.  He's getting what he can.  Players who are likely less talented, but who fit his system with the potential to be solid players after a period of development. 

SemperFi

Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan