Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Koilan Jackson

Started by Jacksonshog, November 03, 2016, 11:46:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacksonshog

Can he play safety or will he play offense? Looks like a very physical athlete.

navyhog24

LRrazorback

Definitely receiver.  He's got a chance to play next year. I'd say he's the best wr to come out of Arkansas since Damian Williams, possibly Brett Smith.

Arthur pigby sellers.

Watch his highlights. Guy needs to be on offense. 

Richard Davenport

Safety hasn't been discussed. Arkansas wants him at WR.

Koilan has huge upside.

KlubhouseKonnected

I love his highlight tape that I just watched... does anyone know if he can catch?
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

ballhogger

I don't know what his top speed is but he reminds me of an Alshon Jeffery type.  Big, Thick, Physical and goes up and gets the ball.  I know that is quite a comparison but body type that is who he reminds me of.

#1 STUNNA

just wait a couple of years if we can get him and burks on the field at the same time!!!

fullfan

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on November 04, 2016, 11:37:28 am
just wait a couple of years if we can get him and burks on the field at the same time!!!
Those two would be great weapons for the Cole Kelley era.

King Kong

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on November 03, 2016, 11:59:27 pm
I love his highlight tape that I just watched... does anyone know if he can catch?

If Keith Jackson is your dad I assume you can catch pretty good

PintailKiller

I've never seen him drop a ball and I've been to almost all their games this year.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

ThisTeetsTaken

No expert but I think if he can keep his weight under control he'll be a good SEC receiver.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

rljjr

Completely under-rated by most services.

3kgthog

My father-in-law (former coach) watched him in person and said he was impressed. That's good enough for me!

The_Iceman

Jackson and Brandon Martin are two stud WR adds in this class. Big time play makers.

Biggus Piggus

He caught 57 passes last season, 1,200 yards, 12 touchdowns. I'd say he can catch.
[CENSORED]!

razorbackfanatic

Pettway is another stud that's in the same mold, big rangy and physical. I think Pettway and Jackson can be absolute studs, I expect big things from Pettway this year.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/ESPN_SEC/status/831186993199538177

QuoteRazorbacks addressed the receiving corps aggressively in their 2017 recruiting class with two receivers and a trio of athletes who could likely wind up as receivers. Among the latter group is one of the Razorbacks' more intriguing signees, four-star athlete Koilan Jackson.

Jackson, a home-state product from Joe T. Robinson High in Little Rock, Arkansas, spent his junior season playing quarterback at Parkview High before transferring to Robinson, where he moved to receiver -- the position the Razorbacks project him to play in Fayetteville.

What the 6-foot-3, 212-pound Jackson did in his final prep season was impressive: 57 receptions, 1,206 yards and 12 touchdowns. Jackson showed the ability to be a threat both in the short passing game as someone who could catch a pass in the flat and extend it into a big play, but also a reliable deep threat who could beat defensive backs one-on-one (or, in some cases, 1-on-2).

Jackson also is a versatile talent. He rushed for 487 yards and eight touchdowns and threw three touchdown passes as a senior. He can also return kicks and punts.

With only a year of receiver experience and given his favorable size and solid speed, Jackson appears to be full of potential. As the nation's 32nd-ranked athlete (but the No. 4 overall player in Arkansas), Jackson didn't get numerous offers from perennial power programs (Army, Illinois, Louisiana-Monroe and Memphis were among the other programs who offered him), but coach Bret Bielema is excited about him, noting that Jackson could be the "sleeper" of the Razorbacks' class.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Richard Davenport

February 15, 2017, 11:19:35 am #19 Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 02:28:38 pm by Richard Davenport
Will be surprised if Koilan isn't playing in the fall. He understands the game from a WR and QB perspective. Plus his physical talent alone is hard to overlook.

bennyl08

Quote from: ballhogger on November 04, 2016, 08:16:21 am
I don't know what his top speed is but he reminds me of an Alshon Jeffery type.  Big, Thick, Physical and goes up and gets the ball.  I know that is quite a comparison but body type that is who he reminds me of.

He reminds me more of a Cobi Hamilton. He isn't too explosive off the line which was Cobi's big red flag for the NFL and why he wasn't drafted higher. However, give him a few steps and he can get going real fast, also like Cobi. Both are a similar size as well. Jackson's electronic forty is a bit lower than Cobi's was, but still plenty fast at the top end.

Quote from: razorbackfanatic on February 01, 2017, 09:31:14 am
Pettway is another stud that's in the same mold, big rangy and physical. I think Pettway and Jackson can be absolute studs, I expect big things from Pettway this year.

This is where I think Pettway differs. Watching Pettway's film, I felt like I was watching Jarius Wright, but in a bigger body. Definitely thought he looked very explosive off the line with quick acceleration.

However, let's be honest, Cobi and Wright were both amazing receivers for us. Nitpicking those highlights is like pointing out a flaw in the Lord of the Rings or something.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Tusks

Jackson and Curls are my sleepers in the class.

Jackson like everyone is saying and I'm telling you, Curls can be an All SEC Safety.

I don't think Curls hits as hard as Atwater but I think he can cover better and is fearless like SA.  He has great hands as in, he could of hung on to that pass down at Miami.  He's acceleration at the point of impact is the best I've seen coming to the hill in a long time.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

bennyl08

Quote from: tusked on February 15, 2017, 01:15:39 pm
Jackson and Curls are my sleepers in the class.

Jackson like everyone is saying and I'm telling you, Curls can be an All SEC Safety.

I don't think Curls hits as hard as Atwater but I think he can cover better and is fearless like SA.  He has great hands as in, he could of hung on to that pass down at Miami.  He's acceleration at the point of impact is the best I've seen coming to the hill in a long time.

Curls is a sleeper? I thought he was one of our top rated recruits this class?

Okay, went and checked 247 has him as the 7th best and rivals the 8th (couldn't figure out Scout and ESPN usually have to pay or something). Not sure how much that ranks as a sleeper, but I'd put him in the top 5 personally of players we signed, so I guess there's that.

My two sleepers would be Curtis and Porter. Curtis just reminds me so much of Adoree Jackson from USC. He may miss a play or two trying to make the interception, but he is, IMO, the type of guy who will lead us in interceptions, PR's, and gain about 300 yards over a season on offense as well.

Porter is a bit more of a wild-card. He is in the same mold of being an explosive pass rusher as Flowers, Wise Jr, and Taylor are. We've seen the success of Flowers. Wise Jr struggled with injuries. Taylor and Porter are the guys we have now who have that same explosion. Well, Ramsey does as well, but at half of the other two's size. No telling if he can do what he does with added weight like Taylor and Porter. Having the explosion to rush the passer doesn't guarantee success. Early in Flower's career, he was great at getting penetration and speed rushing the tackle, but would lose his contain in the process and allow a big play. He became a star player when he learned to control his speed and be a good run stopper as well.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Tusks

I just go by 247 rankings.

Jackson 3 star .855 score and 706 national ranking.
Curl      3 star .861 score and 601 national ranking.

So I thought they were pretty closely ranked.  If I'm not mistaken Curl was listed as an athlete so maybe not as high on the safety side as should be.

I think, providing he stays healthy, to say Curl will be an all SEC safety before he gets on campus is a little bit of a sleeper.

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

hawgfan4life

Quote from: Richard Davenport on February 15, 2017, 11:19:35 am
Will be surprised if Koilan isn't playing in the fall. He understands the game from a WR and QB perspective. Plus his physical talent alone is hard to overlook.

If you are correct, then he will be a beast as a FR because we have a roster full of pretty good WRs in front of him with experience in college not counting the JC receivers we have coming.  I have to admit I never have seen him in person other than the highlights.  He doesn't appear to have elite speed or explosive quickness off of the LOS.  Looks like a big kid with great athleticism and excellent hands and toughness.  I am not sure that will be enough to move him into a key role next year if the others pan out as planned.  If so, he is truly special and even better than he appears on film.

CLARIFICATION:  I did NOT say he isn't fast, good, or bash him in any way!  I said we have some really good players already in position to play and he will be a special player to move in front of them.

bennyl08

Quote from: tusked on February 15, 2017, 03:16:56 pm
I just go by 247 rankings.

Jackson 3 star .855 score and 706 national ranking.
Curl      3 star .861 score and 601 national ranking.

So I thought they were pretty closely ranked.  If I'm not mistaken Curl was listed as an athlete so maybe not as high on the safety side as should be.

I think, providing he stays healthy, to say Curl will be an all SEC safety before he gets on campus is a little bit of a sleeper.

Yeah, I guess it depends on how you define sleeper, relative to our team or the rest of the country.

If Curl, Brown, Calloway, and Curtis play to half the expectations, I think we have our own legion of boom.

Arthur pigby sellers.

I agree with Porter as a hidden gem. His highlights look like a future SEC starter

zebradynasty

I like Jackson at WR but I really think he would make a good safety. His size and range could really take pressure off the front 7. Anyway we need large athletes with good speed on both sides of the ball and this kid checks all the boxes.

bennyl08

Quote from: zebradynasty on February 16, 2017, 09:42:05 am
I like Jackson at WR but I really think he would make a good safety. His size and range could really take pressure off the front 7. Anyway we need large athletes with good speed on both sides of the ball and this kid checks all the boxes.

Do you like him over Curl and Brown as a S? We lose a lot of receivers this year. We return established starters at both safety spots and recruited two top tier safeties in this class as well as having some other players that would end up starting for a lot of hog teams in the past.

So I guess the question is two-fold. 1. Do you think Jackson would make a better safety than receiver intrinsically, and then 2: Do you think he would make a bigger impact for our team at S or WR?

zebradynasty

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 16, 2017, 05:12:25 pm
Do you like him over Curl and Brown as a S? We lose a lot of receivers this year. We return established starters at both safety spots and recruited two top tier safeties in this class as well as having some other players that would end up starting for a lot of hog teams in the past.

So I guess the question is two-fold. 1. Do you think Jackson would make a better safety than receiver intrinsically, and then 2: Do you think he would make a bigger impact for our team at S or WR?

I think he can be as good as any safety we have right now. I just like that size IMO he's more athletic than Brown not sure about Curl.

*I may not have answered your question.

NotSoFastMyFriend

Wait, you watched his highlights...where he catches the ball...but you want to know if he can catch the ball?

bennyl08

Quote from: zebradynasty on February 16, 2017, 11:57:40 pm
I think he can be as good as any safety we have right now. I just like that size IMO he's more athletic than Brown not sure about Curl.

*I may not have answered your question.

I definitely agree Curl looks more athletic than Brown. As far as pure athleticism goes, Brown and Jackson, IMO, are fairly close to each other. Jackson might have better top end speed, Brown with better quickness. However, to me, I think Brown has a better defensive mindset than Kolian. When it comes to hitting harder, I trust Brown to do that over Kolian. Combine that with we have a lot of 5 out of 6 receiver spots open on the two deep while you will have to upset somebody to get on the safety two deep, that's why I'd keep Kolian at receiver. However, if he had come here two years ago, IF, and that's IF, he has the mindset to play defense, I'd be much more inclined to want to give him a shot.

To make a short story long, I can see why you like his potential at safety, I only differ with you slightly about the ordering of who is more athletic, but that combined with the current situational depth on our team is why I disagree with him playing safety.