Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas Kids to Other Schools

Started by Hoggie225, October 29, 2016, 12:01:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoggie225

Sorry if I missed this, but why didn't we get Damarea Crockett? Not saying he is better than Whaley and Hammonds, but it looks like he is having a decent year at Missouri and I didn't know the history.

Also, what happened with Akial Byers? Just not interested in the Hogs?

ricepig

Quote from: Hoggie225 on October 29, 2016, 12:01:26 pm
Sorry if I missed this, but why didn't we get Damarea Crockett? Not saying he is better than Whaley and Hammonds, but it looks like he is having a decent year at Missouri and I didn't know the history.

Also, what happened with Akial Byers? Just not interested in the Hogs?

Short version, we had two RB's we liked better, and the other isn't qualified, and most likely won't.

litmachog

Crockett is a good player on a terrible team.  He has done well but you would have to wonder how much playing time he would have as a freshman for a decent team.

Oklahawg

The coaches were very aware of Crockett and never got close to an offer. I wonder if he would have scored a last minute offer had one of the other RBs flipped late. We'll never know.

Byers won't get an offer or serious recruiting attention until his academics give teams a reason to think he might be able to qualify.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Fort Dweller

Norwood at Northside is probably the best athlete in the state.
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Fort Dweller on October 29, 2016, 09:06:17 pm
Norwood at Northside is probably the best athlete in the state.

Meh, I've watch him play. Wouldn't say that 

There's a reason he isn't ated real high and doesn't have a ton of offers 

rljjr

Quote from: RazorPiggie on October 29, 2016, 09:38:30 pm
Meh, I've watch him play. Wouldn't say that 

There's a reason he isn't ated real high and doesn't have a ton of offers 

I think that might be the point.

jacobp

hogsanity

Quote from: jacobp on October 31, 2016, 01:37:38 pm
Good enough for Louisville

why dont all those here that are in love with louisville go to their message board.

I will ask about Norwood what i ask about most recruits people here pine for when they go out of state - how many other SEC offers did he have.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

onebadrubi

Quote from: hogsanity on October 31, 2016, 02:10:00 pm
why dont all those here that are in love with louisville go to their message board.

I will ask about Norwood what i ask about most recruits people here pine for when they go out of state - how many other SEC offers did he have.

It's funny, those same people would bash a kid and this staff for taking a commitment from someone with Norwoods measurements.

ricepig

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 31, 2016, 02:38:31 pm
It's funny, those same people would bash a kid and this staff for taking a commitment from someone with Norwoods measurements.

He's not very big for sure, I saw a few clips of him on LR TV last week playing QB, shifty, but small.

Fort Dweller

Quote from: hogsanity on October 31, 2016, 02:10:00 pm

Not a Louisville fan but I see him weekly.  He wants to play corner.  He's aroun 5-11, but rail thin.  You can always add weight.  But he's a 4.4 kid.  Don't know how he would translate to the SEC, but none of us do.

I know Enos has been down a couple of times but not recently.
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

onebadrubi

Quote from: Fort Dweller on October 31, 2016, 04:22:57 pm
Not a Louisville fan but I see him weekly.  He wants to play corner.  He's aroun 5-11, but rail thin.  You can always add weight.  But he's a 4.4 kid.  Don't know how he would translate to the SEC, but none of us do.

I know Enos has been down a couple of times but not recently.

That's the issue.  Bama takes kids that have size and speed.  Many other schools have to take kids with size or speed trying to improve on the other. 

I'm using Bama because that is the only school people ever want to compare recruiting for.  And if you flashback to Petrino years on year, people always wanted more size because we got TRUCKED when tackling always given up an additions 2-4 yards after contact.

Fort Dweller

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 31, 2016, 05:16:24 pm
That's the issue.  Bama takes kids that have size and speed.  Many other schools have to take kids with size or speed trying to improve on the other. 

I'm using Bama because that is the only school people ever want to compare recruiting for.  And if you flashback to Petrino years on year, people always wanted more size because we got TRUCKED when tackling always given up an additions 2-4 yards after contact.

I know that you know using Bama is unrealistic.  Bama trucks everyone.  We will never be Bama. 

But, we lack speed.  Montaric Brown is a start to addressing that lack of speed in the secondary.  There's no real fix to our disadvantage.

Oklahawg

Quote from: Fort Dweller on October 31, 2016, 08:24:03 pm
I know that you know using Bama is unrealistic.  Bama trucks everyone.  We will never be Bama. 

But, we lack speed.  Montaric Brown is a start to addressing that lack of speed in the secondary.  There's no real fix to our disadvantage.

Pulley is a player. We were not universally thrilled with his commitment (too many holding out for a higher-rated player) but we tended to rationalize by saying, "well, good to get a Florida player."

The CBs are not horrible although they are not speed-burners. It doesn't take a huge improvement in speed to go along with player development to be ok at CB. Safety is another matter - time to fix that and Brown and Hernandez seem like good fixes. Need football IQ also.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

onebadrubi

Quote from: Fort Dweller on October 31, 2016, 08:24:03 pm

I agree completely. But we, people have forgotten all to soon what us going smaller and faster was like. I'd prefer us not sway and go get speed sacrificing size. We need more pulleys on the back 7, hopefully brown can be all we hope he is at safety!!  I also am hopeful the LB core will gain some speed by attrition this year.

Turn all focus to the dline.  It will be the oline from this year, next year.

Fort Dweller

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 31, 2016, 09:18:26 pm
I agree completely. But we, people have forgotten all to soon what us going smaller and faster was like. I'd prefer us not sway and go get speed sacrificing size. We need more pulleys on the back 7, hopefully brown can be all we hope he is at safety!!  I also am hopeful the LB core will gain some speed by attrition this year.

Turn all focus to the dline.  It will be the oline from this year, next year.

I remember them all too well.  I remember Alan Turner, who I think of as Brooks Ellis at safety, always making the right read but being a half step late.  Those two were always making the right move, but just didn't have that God given ability to make them elite.

Maybe it's wishful thinking, but hoping for a Michael Grant.  4.48 isn't something that comes around everyday.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Fort Dweller on October 31, 2016, 09:26:43 pm
I remember them all too well.  I remember Alan Turner, who I think of as Brooks Ellis at safety, always making the right read but being a half step late.  Those two were always making the right move, but just didn't have that God given ability to make them elite.

Maybe it's wishful thinking, but hoping for a Michael Grant.  4.48 isn't something that comes around everyday.

I think once they can rely on coley we will see improvement back there. Maybe coley and santos and solidify the safety spot.