Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Did we stop recruiting?

Started by razorhog52, October 24, 2016, 10:29:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

razorhog52

There has been little to no news lately. Few official visits. I didn't realize we were sitting in a top 5 recruiting class with 23 commits. This bye week is huge as we have tons of holes. I know info is scarce as RD hit the pay page scene, but other than Calloway are we on any highly ranked guys?

Nosboar Accubond

CBB has stated multiple times he would spend time during the bye recruiting, even as recently as last Monday.

Your sources are as good as mine on details. If you have anything to share besides a jab to the current state of recruiting I bet folks would love to hear it.

onebadrubi

Oklahawg

Staff focuses on the season during the season. They prefer to not have a lot of official visits during the season so we shouldn't be surprised about a lack of chatter.

We'll have some chatter later this week, early next week, based on our work over the weekend. Won't likely get a lot of info until December 1, or so.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

moto625

We are on several 3 star recruits per the pay sites and they may be able to help us in a couple of years. We are OUT on any ESPN 100 recruits besides the great and much needed Calloway,  but what else is new!   "Hail to the stargazers, they Matter".

Oklahawg

Quote from: moto625 on October 25, 2016, 09:21:55 am
We are on several 3 star recruits per the pay sites and they may be able to help us in a couple of years. We are OUT on any ESPN 100 recruits besides the great and much needed Calloway,  but what else is new!   "Hail to the stargazers, they Matter".

Don't follow recruiting much, eh?
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Richard Davenport

Quote from: razorhog52 on October 24, 2016, 10:29:58 pm
There has been little to no news lately. Few official visits. I didn't realize we were sitting in a top 5 recruiting class with 23 commits. This bye week is huge as we have tons of holes. I know info is scarce as RD hit the pay page scene, but other than Calloway are we on any highly ranked guys?

I expect the to have some official visitors for the Fla. game. They had five for Bama and two for Ole Miss.

They'll bring kids in Dec. and Jan.

There isn't a big pool of prospects to report in because there are so few spots left for the 2017 class.

OL Chuck Filiaga, OL D'Marcus Hayes, S J'Marick Woods, LB Thomas Johnston, DE Justin Thomas, JC DE Micheal Clemons, JC DL Javier Edwards, CB Chevin Calloway are just some of the guys they're visiting this week.

beringer62

RazorPiggie

Prestworthy

Quote from: Oklahawg on October 25, 2016, 12:28:55 am
Staff focuses on the season during the season. They prefer to not have a lot of official visits during the season so we shouldn't be surprised about a lack of chatter.

We'll have some chatter later this week, early next week, based on our work over the weekend. Won't likely get a lot of info until December 1, or so.
What?? The staff prefers not to have OV's during prime time games on ESPN? This has got to be a joke...

outlawhogeywells

well there were official visitors here for both the Alabama game and the Ole Miss game.

onebadrubi

Quote from: outlawhogeywells on October 27, 2016, 08:46:22 am
well there were official visitors here for both the Alabama game and the Ole Miss game.

Ones we really wanted too. 

LJHOG

Quote from: Richard Davenport on October 25, 2016, 12:08:47 pm
There isn't a big pool of prospects to report in because there are so few spots left for the 2017 class. 
We prolly need to open up some spots.

woodhog14

Quote from: Prestworthy on October 27, 2016, 04:02:53 am
What?? The staff prefers not to have OV's during prime time games on ESPN? This has got to be a joke...

Did you even read his post?? We had OV's for both ESPN Prime Time games. Believe it or not, we are like most schools. Most schools save all of their official visits for after the season where the coaches can spend time with them.

Do you know how many OV's Tennessee had for their home game against Bama? A Top 10 matchup...biggest home game in 15 years. 4...that's right 4. That is very normal. You say you keep up with recruiting, but obviously you don't know how it works very well.

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: woodhog14 on October 27, 2016, 07:26:22 pm
Did you even read his post?? We had OV's for both ESPN Prime Time games. Believe it or not, we are like most schools. Most schools save all of their official visits for after the season where the coaches can spend time with them.

Do you know how many OV's Tennessee had for their home game against Bama? A Top 10 matchup...biggest home game in 15 years. 4...that's right 4. That is very normal. You say you keep up with recruiting, but obviously you don't know how it works very well.
Yep. The only reason the two guys from Bama did their OV's to the Ole Miss game was because they played on Thursday night. So they were able to be on campus for the full 48 hrs that the NCAA allows. Usually on an in season OV a kid gets here early Saturday morning and is gone by noon on Sunday.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Quote from: Prestworthy on October 27, 2016, 04:02:53 am

It's not Coach B is pretty lazy in the recruiting game.

Yeah lets bring in recruits in the dead of winter instead of bringing them in during a game to experience the atmosphere, to get love from 70,000 fans, when the weather is much nicer.

It's like they try to do the bare minimum at all times.  Getting paid millions, we're suckers.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

Prestworthy

Quote from: woodhog14 on October 27, 2016, 07:26:22 pm

Then why have ANY come on game night? This doesn't make sense.

Prestworthy

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on October 28, 2016, 02:50:54 am

Yeah lets bring in recruits in the dead of winter instead of bringing them in during a game to experience the atmosphere, to get love from 70,000 fans, when the weather is much nicer.

It's like they try to do the bare minimum at all times.  Getting paid millions, we're suckers.
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic......but I agree.

ricepig

Yeah, the fly all over the U.S., they must be lazy, lol. No, playing basketball in the BAC during recruiting was the bare minimum.

LA Football fan

Quote from: Prestworthy on October 28, 2016, 12:09:32 pm
Then why have ANY come on game night? This doesn't make sense.

Has it occurred to you that these recruits have games on friday nights this time of the year and limiting their time with the staff and facilities to just a few hours on Saturday due to game obligations, doesn't give the staff the best opportunity to not only sell the program to the recruits but their families too?  Find something else to complain about.  It was just shown to you that other programs do the same thing but when you are on a witch hunt like you are, facts just won't sway your already made up opinion. 

We only have a limited number of slots open.  The staff has narrowed down their targets to fill needs as well as to try and bring in the best available talent left out there that isn't committed.  They still are recruiting committed players behind the scenes, as most programs are doing.  They are flying all over the country this week trying to fill the remaining slots.  Instead of crying like a baby because someone hasn't committed the last month, try being happy that we have the majority of the class committed already and it lets the staff focus even more on the remaining slots.

woodhog14

You obviously don't understand how recruiting works either.

We might be the dumbest fan base of all. Clay Travis was right.

Prestworthy

Quote from: woodhog14 on October 28, 2016, 02:43:41 pm
You obviously don't understand how recruiting works either.

We might be the dumbest fan base of all. Clay Travis was right.
That's it -- there's always name-calling!

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: LA Football fan on October 28, 2016, 01:17:00 pm
Has it occurred to you that these recruits have games on friday nights this time of the year and limiting their time with the staff and facilities to just a few hours on Saturday due to game obligations, doesn't give the staff the best opportunity to not only sell the program to the recruits but their families too?  Find something else to complain about.  It was just shown to you that other programs do the same thing but when you are on a witch hunt like you are, facts just won't sway your already made up opinion. 

We only have a limited number of slots open.  The staff has narrowed down their targets to fill needs as well as to try and bring in the best available talent left out there that isn't committed.  They still are recruiting committed players behind the scenes, as most programs are doing.  They are flying all over the country this week trying to fill the remaining slots.  Instead of crying like a baby because someone hasn't committed the last month, try being happy that we have the majority of the class committed already and it lets the staff focus even more on the remaining slots.
it's like you don't see what everyone else is doing. You one of those that only follows the hogs, huh?
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

woodhog14

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on October 28, 2016, 06:08:10 pm
it's like you don't see what everyone else is doing. You one of those that only follows the hogs, huh?

Actually, that is what everyone else is doing.

PorkRinds

Also I'm sure we have lots of recruits at games on unofficials.  They just want to be able to actually spend time with them on their OV so they do those when there's actually time for them to interact with coaches and players hosting them.  Most visits during the season are unofficials.

ricepig

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 28, 2016, 08:32:53 pm
Also I'm sure we have lots of recruits at games on unofficials.  They just want to be able to actually spend time with them on their OV so they do those when there's actually time for them to interact with coaches and players hosting them.  Most visits during the season are unofficials.

Correct, the want the guys on unofficials to be there at least 2 hours before game time to spend some time with the staff.

jjdlc

There is a reason that many of these kids don't take visits until after the season is over, and it has nothing to do with our coaches.  Ask yourself, what happens on Friday nights in the fall, all over the country?  High School football games.  It makes it difficult for many of athletes to travel, and actually enjoy a visit.

LA Football fan

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on October 28, 2016, 06:08:10 pm

Actually I see what everyone else is doing.  Try again, it is obvious YOU don't know what you are talking about.