Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will 'Being Bret Bielema' impact our recruiting?

Started by trashcan maN, September 01, 2016, 08:55:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

trashcan maN

Each episode is sort of like a free visit for every kid, of any age, that watches. The fact that it is being shown on ESPNU in marathon format is huge IMO. Ive had friends from all over the country txt me to see if Ive watched it.

Wild to think that The Razorbacks are the first school to have a nationally televised reality show.

What say you?

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: trashcan maN on September 01, 2016, 08:55:29 am
Each episode is sort of like a free visit for every kid, of any age, that watches. The fact that it is being shown on ESPNU in marathon format is huge IMO. Ive had friends from all over the country txt me to see if Ive watched it.

Wild to think that The Razorbacks are the first school to have a nationally syndicated reality show.

What say you?

It absolutely does not hurt it. Any positive exposure helps. I'm telling you, other schools are jealous of this show. Mainly because they know their coach wouldn't entertain.

trashcan maN

Say what you want about BB as a gameday coach, but hes one of the most brilliant brand-builders in the game. Just need to start winning and this thing could take off.

Oregon and Clemson were able to raise their brands to national levels. We can too.

IronMountainHog

Oregon bought their way, but whatever gets you there.

RagingHawgOn

Finally got to watch it last night. Amazing look into CBB and what he is all about. 100% believe we gain a ton of attention from recruits.

WPS

MO.Hog

CBB made a comment last week I believe about how the show has already had an impact.  Said something along the lines of a kid who is already committed to another school "enemy" has called and said they want to take a closer look at our program.  Stated that this kid was the number 1 prospect at his position.  :razorback: :razorback:

King Kong

Quote from: MO.Hog on September 01, 2016, 09:36:24 am
CBB made a comment last week I believe about how the show has already had an impact.  Said something along the lines of a kid who is already committed to another school "enemy" has called and said they want to take a closer look at our program.  Stated that this kid was the number 1 prospect at his position.  :razorback: :razorback:

Number 1 player on their (the coaching staffs) board at that position

WooPig90

http://247sports.com/Player/Benjamin-Sapp-82071

Benny Sapp's kid, the former player that Bielema was talking with on the episode last night

1highhog

Quote from: MO.Hog on September 01, 2016, 09:36:24 am

On another note about this, the kid said he and his parents love the show and haven't missed and episode yet.  That kind of exposure Can't hurt at all!  Coach B comes across as a Coach I'd have loved to play for, you learn and play under your position Coach, and CBB makes sures he's surrounded by the best position Coaches he can get.  We can question the hiring of his Coaches at the time, but when they get here, then why after a Season everyone wants them?  It's because Coach Bielema knows talent in the Coaching game and he doesn't rush to put some big name in there he takes his time searching the right way.  He does the same in recruiting and so does the Coaches he hires.  That's why I don't pay much attention to the star rankings of players under a Coach like the one we have now.  Don't we now have several 4*'s on the bench with lesser ranked players ahead of them playing?

hawgfan4life

How many mommas did he win over with his comments about recruiting players that treat women right?  Anyone looking for glitz will probably not be impressed.  Anyone not somewhat interested prior will likely not be swayed into being interested.  Anyone with some interest, won't be dissuaded from the show.  Might not make a huge splash, but likely will help some, and any help at all is huge when it comes to recruiting.

Best line yet was last week, "I'm a famous shopper!"

kaki

Coach B is a big burly man, but the show certainly demonstrated along with a realness about him, his decency and his soft heart.  The message about visiting his Grandmother who was on her death bed and telling him about how his Mother loved it when he washed the dishes was very touching.  Not only touching, but he found a way to make a life lesson about it.  Also was very touching about the Minister's advice to him on how to keep his deceased sister alive. There is a lot of depth and decency in this man and I for one am proud he is leading our program and think that very many parents would have a great deal of comfort in entrusting their sons with Coach B.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: hawgfan4life on September 01, 2016, 01:13:02 pm
How many mommas did he win over with his comments about recruiting players that treat women right?  Anyone looking for glitz will probably not be impressed.  Anyone not somewhat interested prior will likely not be swayed into being interested.  Anyone with some interest, won't be dissuaded from the show.  Might not make a huge splash, but likely will help some, and any help at all is huge when it comes to recruiting.

Best line yet was last week, "I'm a famous shopper!"
Oh, it will help WAY more than that. He is literally the most well known coach in the country on a personal level. Quick, name Saban's wife. Name their dogs. CAN'T do it!! I'm telling you, I'm even cool with Bo now after pulling this off.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Hawgar The Horrible

I knew the man was all about character and doing right, but never guessed he was such a "thinker". I have only known a couple of them in my lifetime. One became an astronaut. Bielema can't brush his teeth without trying to find a life lesson in it. Not a bad thing...just an observation.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

Vantage 8 dude

I saw every episode and saw nothing in any of them to detract from our recruiting efforts. I see a very sensitive guy (some might not like that exact description) who truly cares about his family, players and has a terrific work ethic. Very approachable and relates well to people of all ages. Just a very "down home" kinda guy that loves to have a good time but strives to produce the best product he can both on and off the field.

Anything like this HAS to help get our name and brand out. We may not have a "blow hard" like Harbaugh, however, we got a HC who's a heck of a lot more genuine. And I'll settle for that every day of the year.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on September 01, 2016, 02:07:46 pm
Oh, it will help WAY more than that. He is literally the most well known coach in the country on a personal level. Quick, name Saban's wife. Name their dogs. CAN'T do it!! I'm telling you, I'm even cool with Bo now after pulling this off.
If Bo is in any way responsible for the show then I take bad all the ish I've said about him.

There are some recruits this will not help with. Those are generally the type the CBB does not want anyway.

There are some where it has the potential to help a good bit. These are the ones CBB really wants.

Then there's others, of course

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: trashcan maN on September 01, 2016, 08:59:12 am
Say what you want about BB as a gameday coach, but hes one of the most brilliant brand-builders in the game. Just need to start winning and this thing could take off.

Oregon and Clemson were able to raise their brands to national levels. We can too.

You must have forgotten Clemson was a good program before and has a NC years after ours.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

RazorPiggie

Quote from: theFlyingHog on September 01, 2016, 05:00:28 pm
If Bo is in any way responsible for the show then I take bad all the ish I've said about him.

There are some recruits this will not help with. Those are generally the type the CBB does not want anyway.

There are some where it has the potential to help a good bit. These are the ones CBB really wants.

I think he is.

Tarheelhawg

As a parent, I would say definitely , yes.  Coach Bielema puts an emphasis on academics first, family, and then football.  I can get behind his priorities and values.

MissippHog

I can't see how the show would hurt.  It definitely gives us insight on the real CBB, not the caricature that media seems to portray him as sometimes.  Even if the show only lands us 1 or 2 elite level recruits that we wouldn't have normally got it will be considered as a success.

cpohog

I watched about 4 episodes late last night and came away impressed. A couple of things that stood out.

-He made himself real and down to earth by doing the grocery shopping and cooking
-The Grandmother episode was touching, she loves it when you do the dishes.....We all have dishes
-Grew up on a hog farm with 2,500 hogs, who is better qualified to coach the HOGS!
-Offered a chance to walk on at Iowa....MAYBE this explains why he believes in building a good Walk-on program...HE is a product of this and knows it's value!!!

trashcan maN

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 01, 2016, 05:28:08 pm
You must have forgotten Clemson was a good program before and has a NC years after ours.
Meh. From '91-2011, they finished in the top 25 7x - none of those in the top 15. They were an above avg program - same as us. They have now elevated their brand to an elite level - finishing in the top 10 3x since 2011. Maybe not the best analogy, but it still fits. No one cares about Nattys from 1982. These kids' parents hadn't even hit puberty yet.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: theFlyingHog on September 01, 2016, 05:00:28 pm

It's Bo's show. It was his idea, and he got it syndicated to ESPN. I gotta give it up to the little guy. He hit a lick.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: trashcan maN on September 02, 2016, 09:14:22 am
Meh. From '91-2011, they finished in the top 25 7x - none of those in the top 15. They were an above avg program - same as us. They have now elevated their brand to an elite level - finishing in the top 10 3x since 2011. Maybe not the best analogy, but it still fits. No one cares about Nattys from 1982. These kids' parents hadn't even hit puberty yet.
It's actually a very good analogy. Very similar programs.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on September 02, 2016, 09:30:27 am
It's Bo's show. It was his idea, and he got it syndicated to ESPN. I gotta give it up to the little guy. He hit a lick.

Your use of slang cracks me up PiP. + 1

Jim Harris

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 01, 2016, 05:28:08 pm

Clemson is like Auburn, it has played the $$$$ game for a long time. Has gotten them to the top. Been nailed for it, though not as many times as Auburn has. I don't think these type programs really change.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Jim Harris

Quote from: trashcan maN on September 02, 2016, 09:14:22 am

That's proof of what the wrong coaching hires can do to "tradition." The president at the time tried to show the NCAA they were not renegade in dumping Danny Ford and bringing a great man in Ken Hatfield in, but the fans were basically ready for Ken to leave within a couple of seasons. Tommy West was a disaster, and Tommy Bowden got things headed right but he plateaued, all during that time period you cite. It's been kind of amazing that Dabo was the one to get the interim promotion off Bowden's staff and take it past that ceiling Bowden reached.

"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

jackflash

I think the show will help. to me as he getting to host camps in Florida, lLA and Texas will be a bigger deal. The players will get a look at his staff. And maybe some players that haven't  considered Arkansas will change their minds

Kyle

CBB is the first coach I can recall in a long time that understands what it means to be from Arkansas and to embrace it.

Hoot72

I think the show this past Wednesday (8-31) will help recruiting.  When it shows a the first player of South Florida that he ever recruited, and that player talks about what an impact CBB had on his life.  It doesn't hurt that the player stayed several years in the NFL.  I think that kind of stuff helps.

Pig in the Pokey

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Hoot72 on September 02, 2016, 11:30:03 am
I think the show this past Wednesday (8-31) will help recruiting.  When it shows a the first player of South Florida that he ever recruited, and that player talks about what an impact CBB had on his life.  It doesn't hurt that the player stayed several years in the NFL.  I think that kind of stuff helps.
It was the best out of 4 very good episodes imo. Just outstanding.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Kyle on September 02, 2016, 11:20:47 am
CBB is the first coach I can recall in a long time that understands what it means to be from Arkansas and to embrace it.
IMO much of that has to do with the values and beliefs he developed growing up mirror many of those values shared by most Arkansans. Hard work, loyalty, love of family and state run deep.

Maximus Tusk

Wild to think that The Razorbacks are the first school to have a nationally televised reality show.

What say you?
Does a bear poop in the woods?   :)

LRHawg

I love his quick line about building your character or tearing it down, every day, and how you can build it up and lose it all in an instant. Powerful stuff, for me as a grown man and for those kids.

zane

Quote from: LRHawg on September 02, 2016, 02:38:49 pm
I love his quick line about building your character or tearing it down, every day, and how you can build it up and lose it all in an instant. Powerful stuff, for me as a grown man and for those kids.

Great point- very applicable across all walks of life
RIP LSUfan

farmhawg

Quote from: kaki on September 01, 2016, 01:38:25 pm
Coach B is a big burly man, but the show certainly demonstrated along with a realness about him, his decency and his soft heart.  The message about visiting his Grandmother who was on her death bed and telling him about how his Mother loved it when he washed the dishes was very touching.  Not only touching, but he found a way to make a life lesson about it.  Also was very touching about the Minister's advice to him on how to keep his deceased sister alive. There is a lot of depth and decency in this man and I for one am proud he is leading our program and think that very many parents would have a great deal of comfort in entrusting their sons with Coach B.
I agree with a lot you have said and I think he is a good not great coach. He may never win big here but he is a lot deeper than first thought.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: farmhawg on September 02, 2016, 07:46:29 pm
I agree with a lot you have said and I think he is a good not great coach. He may never win big here but he is a lot deeper than first thought.
This show really puts out there his very best traits, things that would not otherwise be common knowledge. Now, the country all know more about CBB's personality than literally any other coach. #Uncommon

Cinco de Hogo

Will recruits be more impressed with the show or the game?  I wonder how superficial some of you think these young players are.  Parents will have their opinions but players will consider what they see in the field.  Got to get better on game day.

farmhawg

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on September 03, 2016, 09:43:13 am
This show really puts out there his very best traits, things that would not otherwise be common knowledge. Now, the country all know more about CBB's personality than literally any other coach. #Uncommon
Well, he does get to edit it so if not.....
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

HamSammich

What say you?

No.

Im a razorback fan and have better things to do which include patrolling the neighborhood cleaning up random  dog poop. No one absolutely... nooooooo onnnneeee watches this but you guys.

ricepig

Quote from: HamSammich on September 03, 2016, 08:18:55 pm

No.

Im a razorback fan and have better things to do which include patrolling the neighborhood cleaning up random  dog poop. No one absolutely... nooooooo onnnneeee watches this but you guys.

https://twitter.com/BEINGBretB/status/771452008771354624

HardingHog

No.

Take your ashes and sackcloth back to MMQB

HamSammich

Quote from: ricepig on September 03, 2016, 08:37:28 pm

https://twitter.com/BEINGBretB/status/771452008771354624

Think hard about what that means.... So the most watched show on a channel no one watches... On a Wednesday... Bah forget it. Thisnis hopeless

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: HamSammich on September 03, 2016, 10:48:22 pm
Think hard about what that means.... So the most watched show on a channel no one watches... On a Wednesday... Bah forget it. Thisnis hopeless

I haven't watched one second of ESPN since the end of last season.

Pig in the Pokey

No.

Nobody watches Last Chance U , either, b/c who cares about EMCC?
:-*

theFlyingHog

Pig in the Pokey

trashcan maN

Quote from: HamSammich on September 03, 2016, 10:48:22 pm
Oh, no one watches ESPNU in the weeks leading up to college football season? I wasn't aware. Oh, could you please shoot me the link to your source? Thanks in advance.

Also, mega-conglomerate media companies don't nationally broadcast shows that have a target audience of a million people or so(40% of the state). They evidently thought there would be a decent national audience for this, and it sounds like they were right.

factchecker

Quote from: trashcan maN on September 05, 2016, 04:29:47 pm
Oh, no one watches ESPNU in the weeks leading up to college football season? I wasn't aware. Oh, could you please shoot me the link to your source? Thanks in advance.

Also, mega-conglomerate media companies don't nationally broadcast shows that have a target audience of a million people or so(40% of the state). They evidently thought there would be a decent national audience for this, and it sounds like they were right.

If another coach was doing a reality show and we weren't we'd be hearing "Why aren't we smart enough to do something like that?  Gosh, I wish we had an athletic director that could get our coach on ESPNU...... it'd probably help with recruiting."
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS