Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why did we lose?

Started by jbigs77, February 21, 2018, 08:57:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbigs77

It was a good game in the first half. I do think we can play with good teams. The reasons we lost.
1. 2 days off and a late game. Looked like we got gassed in the 2nd half. KY got a much deeper bench.
2. Not much off the bench help. It was the starters or nothing. KY out scored us by a lot off their bench.
3. KY is deep in talent, we could not match it.
4. Gafford was the key, if they shut him down they win, and they did for the most part. Just another reason he should stay for another year.
It was a good game, we just got beat. Might be different next time. But KY is deep in talent, goes in their favor in tournaments.   

raz1965

I would also add that KY scored more points.

jcul28

I really like Mike Anderson, I will admit it is more from the Nolan days than the current days but his substitutions and timing were puzzling to me once again. It appears that some of his substitutions come when we just get momentum rolling. I understand the players have to catch their breath but I've never understood why if a player just scores 5 straight or grabs a couple steals or battle 3-4 straight possessions to get rebounds or blocks 2-3 shots in a row, why he subs them out. When the bench isn't doing much of anything makes it more questionable. I am a supporter of MA but I feel like he cost us the game...again... against Kentucky.

99toLife

Quote from: raz1965 on February 22, 2018, 12:04:48 pm
I would also add that KY scored more points.

Yeah, when that happens, you usually lose.

5ACentral

Quote from: jcul28 on February 22, 2018, 12:38:21 pm
I really like Mike Anderson, I will admit it is more from the Nolan days than the current days but his substitutions and timing were puzzling to me once again. It appears that some of his substitutions come when we just get momentum rolling. I understand the players have to catch their breath but I've never understood why if a player just scores 5 straight or grabs a couple steals or battle 3-4 straight possessions to get rebounds or blocks 2-3 shots in a row, why he subs them out. When the bench isn't doing much of anything makes it more questionable. I am a supporter of MA but I feel like he cost us the game...again... against Kentucky.
Yes MA coaching is lacking. Substituting 4 starters in the KY game when we were playing SO well and NOT showing signs of fatigue 6-7 minutes into the game... Why???   He did not comment on that at all.  And, with regard to Gafford, I hear that he is not looked at for those wide open dunk shots by our guards because when they kick it inside to Gafford they know he is going to do a quick dribble or immediate shot and NEVER KICK IT OUT to the guards who are open because the big guys have collapsed on Gafford., The lanes are open then for the guards to penetrate and drop the ball back to Gafford for a bucket. 

Think there is some ENVY going on by our seniors, knowing they will not likely get the big salaries in the NBA like Gafford will. So, why pump up Gafford when our top two seniors need some publicity themselves?  Crunch time for fans and the U of A and players are playing the ego and envy game!!!! To heck with the team. Note the frown attitude of those on the bench who are not playing and for good reason. 2 of them turn the ball over once every minute or miss all their shots. 6 Seniors and 3 want the season to end now. JMHO.
:-[

Like it is

U know why were gassed? How bout get out of that press!!! They got transition baskets early / mid Half because he continued to press ! It kept them in it ! We were absolutely worn out for that & he played some less minutes!

Rbill

Quote from: 5ACentral on February 22, 2018, 12:54:30 pm
Yes MA coaching is lacking. Substituting 4 starters in the KY game when we were playing SO well and NOT showing signs of fatigue 6-7 minutes into the game... Why???   

I think the alarm went off on his phone saying it was time for the first wholesale.

porkinsons disease

Mike does not recruit well enough to overcome his outdated system
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

MikePiazza

Quote from: porkinsons disease on February 22, 2018, 09:21:05 pm

The 2018 class will either save his job or get him fired.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

ADavisTheGOAT

Quote from: MikePiazza on February 22, 2018, 09:23:49 pm
There was 1 player in that class who could save his job. He's at MSU now.
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

porkinsons disease

agree 100%
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

MikePiazza

Quote from: ADavisTheGOAT on February 22, 2018, 09:24:38 pm
There was 1 player in that class who could save his job. He's at MSU now.

Not buying that. If Perry is as good as they say he is, he's a one-and-done and you can't keep your job with only one one-and-done.

A six-person class where everyone projects to stay at least 2-3 years and most all four. If he can get two Sweet 16s in the next four years (I'm counting this year as still a possibility), he can keep his job.

bkjbearcat

Then you might as well fire him. A class ranked somewhere in the twenties should never be thought of as saviors of your program and your job.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

bkjbearcat

Quote from: MikePiazza on February 22, 2018, 09:33:54 pm
Not buying that. If Perry is as good as they say he is, he's a one-and-done and you can't keep your job with only one one-and-done.

A six-person class where everyone projects to stay at least 2-3 years and most all four. If he can get two Sweet 16s in the next four years (I'm counting this year as still a possibility), he can keep his job.

No, but you can keep your job if you can get more then just one in seven years. Getting guys like Goodwin, Monk and Perry could of more top 100 players looking into Arkansas. Maybe recruiting would of been better if Mike never stuck out on so many elite players.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

Paul

Quote from: Rbill on February 22, 2018, 08:58:40 pm
I think the alarm went off on his phone saying it was time for the first wholesale.
it was a text saying WWND

Razorback2010

Kentucky has like 6 Mcdonald's All Americans.  They're mostly freshmen and they've made freshmen mistakes throughout the season, but they're still very talented and can beat anyone when they show up.  What would we look like with 6 Mcdonald All Americans?

MikePiazza

Quote from: bkjbearcat on February 22, 2018, 09:40:06 pm
No, but you can keep your job if you can get more then just one in seven years. Getting guys like Goodwin, Monk and Perry could of more top 100 players looking into Arkansas. Maybe recruiting would of been better if Mike never stuck out on so many elite players.

He didn't strike out on Perry. He committed to the Hogs. Then decommitd once Howland and MSU lifted their skirt at him. Probably paid him a hefty sum.

East Clintwood

Quote from: Razorback2010 on February 22, 2018, 11:43:29 pm
What would we look like with 6 Mcdonald All Americans?

Pretty much the same as we do today.  They'd still be in need of good coaching.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

HawgTrough

"Hack a Gaff" may be something that other teams catch on to. I'm afraid it could be quite effective
WPS

5ACentral

Quote from: porkinsons disease on February 22, 2018, 09:21:05 pm
Agree. There are some tall, energetic white players who would do well in the paint and dunk and block shots and HIT THE BOARDS for rebounds. Maybe not "great athletic players" but in the right place at right time in the paint and take pride in doing so.. Look back during Nolan's era of recruitment... much different from MA. You gotta look hard for the likes of Joe Klein and other centers. Duke, KY,Michigan and other top 20 teams do and win and go to the NCAAs every year. JMO