Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Amazon to Collect Sales Tax

Started by HawgWild, February 10, 2017, 05:18:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgWild

Amazon, facing legislative pressure. will begin collecting taxes on Arkansas purchases March 1.

ricepig

Hogs run wild

just amazon or every online store?
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

HawgWild

If I'm understanding this correctly, legislation's been introduced to require this of all on-line stores. Amazon did this "voluntarily" though I'm sure they saw the writing on the wall.

There's another bill (HB 1388) that would require out-of-state retailers to provide you with the total amount of purchases you made from them in the previous year. And then, they'd also have to provide this to the state. It wouldn't be too hard at all for the state to compare what you declare with the information they receive.

grayhawg

Wonder how this will effect ebay, lots of small business and individuals sell there. I but lots of stuff on ebay because of state sales tax as well as price.

DeltaBoy

Well we will see if this hurts Amazon or not.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

NuttinItUp

Businesses only have to collect sales tax in states where they have a business nexus. So, if a company has a factory, or a sales rep or an office or anything in a state, then they have to charge sales tax. If not, then they don't. So if a business is based in, say, Oklahoma, and only ships to Arkansas, then they do not have to charge Arkansas sales tax.

Not sure if there is legislation to change that or not, but that is the rule right now.

ricepig

Quote from: NuttinItUp on February 13, 2017, 12:58:30 pm
Businesses only have to collect sales tax in states where they have a business nexus. So, if a company has a factory, or a sales rep or an office or anything in a state, then they have to charge sales tax. If not, then they don't. So if a business is based in, say, Oklahoma, and only ships to Arkansas, then they do not have to charge Arkansas sales tax.

Not sure if there is legislation to change that or not, but that is the rule right now.

There's legislation like that, thus the reason for collecting now.

HawgWild

Quote from: NuttinItUp on February 13, 2017, 12:58:30 pm

Two different bills have been introduced. You're going to pay state sales tax for on-line purchases.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: HawgWild on February 13, 2017, 01:49:49 pm
Two different bills have been introduced. You're going to pay state sales tax for on-line purchases.

Well I don't live in Arkansas, so no I won't, haha.

Also, technically right now you are supposed to pay sales tax, its just that companies do not have to collect it.

If Arkansas passes this, it would have to be litigated in court and the Supreme Court would have to overturn their previous decision on it for it to be enacted.

"When to Collect Sales Tax Online

If your business has a physical presence in a state, such as a store, office or warehouse, you must collect applicable state and local sales tax from your customers. If you do not have a presence in a particular state, you are not required to collect sales taxes.

In legal terms, this physical presence is known as a "nexus." Each state defines nexus differently, but all agree that if you have a store or office of some sort, a nexus exists. If you are uncertain whether or not your business qualifies as a physical presence, contact your state's revenue agency. If you do not have a physical presence in a state, you are not required to collect sales taxes from customers in that state.

This rule is based on a 1992 Supreme Court ruling in which the justices ruled that states cannot require mail-order businesses, and by extension, online retailers to collect sales tax unless they have a physical presence in the state."

https://www.sba.gov/starting-business/learn-about-business-laws/online-business-law/collecting-sales-tax-online

NuttinItUp

Here is the Supreme Court case that created the current rules if anyone is interested:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quill_Corp._v._North_Dakota

(Note: The Supreme Court explicitly said the US Congress has the ability to change this rule, but they have not acted so far.)

HawgWild

Amazon has announced that they will collect Arkansas sales tax on purchases made to Arkansas residents prior to the passage of either of these bills. Why would they do this if they didn't feel like they had to?

DeltaBoy

Quote from: HawgWild on February 14, 2017, 09:53:18 am
Amazon has announced that they will collect Arkansas sales tax on purchases made to Arkansas residents prior to the passage of either of these bills. Why would they do this if they didn't feel like they had to?

They will do it till the bills fail then they will stop doing it.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

zane

This is happening in Oklahoma as well
RIP LSUfan

HawgWild

I haven't made an Amazon purchase yet this month. Did they follow through and start collecting Arkansas sales tax? Wal-Mart's doing free delivery and I've found some stuff cheaper there than on Amazon. Seems like every time I click on an item to buy again on Amazon the price has gone up. Darn algorithms!

PorkSoda

Quote from: HawgWild on March 08, 2017, 04:53:14 pm
I haven't made an Amazon purchase yet this month. Did they follow through and start collecting Arkansas sales tax? Wal-Mart's doing free delivery and I've found some stuff cheaper there than on Amazon. Seems like every time I click on an item to buy again on Amazon the price has gone up. Darn algorithms!
ha, I was wondering about that. 

Quote from: HawgWild on February 13, 2017, 01:49:49 pm
how would they enforce it?  they don't have records of out of state business existence, much less out of state business transactions.

On top of that, they risk double jeopardy regarding taxing something twice, if the company is already paying taxes in their home state.

IOW, like with many bills, they will never pass.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

HawgWild

FWIW, Amazon is now adding Arkansas sale tax to your purchase. I wish they'd not been so quick to cave. The legislation introduced to require this did not pass. I know it's the right thing to do but it was sure good while it lasted.

holeinthewall

The bill failed for this session.   Thankfully..   I have tires I need to order before they try again.

JIMMY BOARFFETT

I made a purchase from Amazon last night and didn't see a sales tax in the total.  If they  tax me retroactively for my online purchases, that could hit pretty hard.
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

ricepig

Boog41

Quote from: ricepig on April 03, 2017, 01:41:39 pm
I didn't think it would survive, but I knew it wasn't dead Friday.

I understand the thought process behind it, but for multi state businesses, what a nightmare to have to keep up with, and pay sales tax, to 50 different states.

ricepig

Quote from: Boog41 on April 03, 2017, 01:54:17 pm
I understand the thought process behind it, but for multi state businesses, what a nightmare to have to keep up with, and pay sales tax, to 50 different states.
I figure it would take about 5 minutes to write a program to do it, now if they had to keep up with city and county sales tax, then......

holeinthewall

Quote from: Boog41 on April 03, 2017, 01:54:17 pm

You don't think that won't be next?

DeltaBoy

PorkSoda

I haven't made an Amazon purchase yet this month. Did they follow through and start collecting Arkansas sales tax?
I don't live in arkansas, but I did make an amazon purchase recently and got charged a small tax around 1% of the order.  So it looks like amazon is charging taxes in some places, but I'm not really sure how it all works.  if it has to do with where the shipping originates or what.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Hogs run wild

I haven't made an Amazon purchase since they started taxing. My wife says that they are charging taxes, but only on some items, not all items. I went to the website to see if it was true, and it seems that items sold directly from Amazon are charged taxes. Those that are sold by sellers on Amazon are not all charging taxes. It's weird.
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

HawgWild

I'm guessing you're right. I placed my first order since February today and wasn't charged sales tax.

YoMama

I recently placed an order where Amazon collected sales tax only on the items sold by Amazon.com.  My other items sold by a different seller like 'Woo Pig Sooie Shop fulfilled by Amazon' then no sales tax was collected.

HawgWild

FWIW - I placed a Walmart.com order a couple of weeks back and was charged 6% sales tax. My local Walmart collects 12.5% sales tax when I buy there. 6.5% savings to have stuff shipped free to me at home. Not bad.

DeltaBoy

We not be charged here in Texas yet.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 24, 2017, 08:50:38 am
We not be charged here in Texas yet.

They have been collecting the 6.25 state sales tax here in Texas for several years and in some areas local tax as well. Here in Allen , TX we pay 8.25 % on Amazon orders the same as we would anywhere in the city.

kane54131

June 29, 2022, 05:12:45 am #33 Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 03:37:38 am by kane54131
According to the nerd counter, Amazon calculates, collects, and remits tax on sales made by merchants shipped to customers located in the states that have enacted Marketplace Facilitator, Marketplace Fairness, or similar laws. These laws shift collection responsibility from the merchant to the marketplace facilitating the merchant's sale.