Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is everyone still thinking....

Started by Granny fan, March 05, 2018, 05:15:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Granny fan

Cole Kelly will be the starter, or is another candidate emerging?

nwahogfan1

Storey had a good practice last Saturday I heard.  I think next Saturdays scrimmage will be huge but it may be in fall camp when the starter is named.

Soooie21

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Granny fan on March 05, 2018, 05:15:08 pm
Too early to tell, but it's definitely gonna be fun to watch..!
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

rtr

The more smites the more intelligent I get.

moses_007

I hope Noland and Jones are both terrific as freshmen.  We all thought Storey would be our savior, or Rafe Peavey, and neither turned out to be good enough. I don't see Kelley as the starter in Morris' system.  Coach should make a tight end out of him, or an offensive lineman, the way he can mow people down.

King Kong

I think we have a true competition and I think it is very possible a Hyatt type wins the job. However, that doesn't mean it won't be Kelley. Cole has the arm needed for this offense and is an affective runner

Pumbaa

I'm thinking it's Cole's to lose. I think he will be a great fit in this offense.

Flrazrback

Cole has experienced the SEC as a starter last year, if he can learn the system and take some coaching then he would probably be our guy. He is going to have to earn the job, no question Ty is right there knocking on the door...

rhames

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

jkstock04

Anyone assuming this is putting too much value on the 2017 football season. At this point I'll be surprised if Kelly is our starter.

If Bielema were here it would be a 100% foregone conclusion. Since he's not and everything minus putting on a football helmet is being done differently....no telling what is going to happen. Especially with the qb position.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Pig in the Pokey

Been saying Dalton Hyatt. Still sayin Dalton Hyatt.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

WOOPIGDOOIE

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on March 06, 2018, 08:01:21 am
I agree, Daulton is my favorite in winning the job.

VirginiaHog

I will be shocked if it is not Kelly.

jkstock04

I've got a question...will we have a starter named by the end of spring practice? Has Morris fielded this question yet?

Sorry if it's already been discussed but I hadn't seen anything on that yet.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

RME

Well, now we know Hyatt is out of the running.

GuvHog

Quote from: Pumbaa on March 05, 2018, 11:47:30 pm
I'm thinking it's Cole's to lose. I think he will be a great fit in this offense.

Totally agree. I strongly believe the #1 QB spot is Cole's to lose. Having SEC starting experience is far more important than some realize.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

steveaustin69

For being so confident I'd think you know his name is Daulton. Sheesh.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Pumbaa on March 05, 2018, 11:47:30 pm
I know he has a winner's attitude and has worked his ass off, literally, this year. He looks good and appears to have bought in to what is happening now... I do hope though that whoever wins the job just edges out someone else, and that we could win with our #4 guy almost as easily as we can with #1...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

TechHog

Speaking of QB's, does anyone know who threw that pass to Mike Woods Saturday? 

WOOPIGDOOIE

Quote from: TechHog on March 06, 2018, 09:29:25 am
Speaking of QB's, does anyone know who threw that pass to Mike Woods Saturday?
Ty Storey

jbigs77

I think Cole will be the starter, but I also look for someone or others to also play a roll at QB.

What I saw last year is Cole line up and run the ball for 3 to 4 yards consistently. The other teams stacked the box, and knew at times what he was going to do and still, he got yards.

I think CM will be more spread and unpredictable. Cole is so big he is hard to bring down. I think this can create mismatches, and this is what CM will try to do. In a spread formation, other teams may stack the box, at their own risk. If they do, the run/pass option will come into play. I think the 3 to 4 yards from last year could turn into longer runs, with Cole in a 1 on 1 against smaller defensive backs. When these longer runs happen, and other teams adjust, this will open up the middle of the field for passes.

As for the new guy(s), I fully expect to see them also get some PT. Depending on their strengths, flow of the game and speed of the game, they could also create some mismatches depending on what other teams do to stop Cole. Cole is so different from the others, we have a variety of looks we can throw at other teams.

I like us having the hurry up offense. You speed things up, slow things down, change tempos, set other teams up and try to make them make mistakes. I also think we will be unpredictable. I look for the offense to be good. I also think the key to the season will be defensive play. We will score a lot of points, the question is, will it be enough.

East TN HAWG

CK is good for short to mid yard gains every time.  I doubt he has the ability to take it to the house though. 

TechHog

texas tush hog

drizzle

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on March 06, 2018, 10:00:39 am
At least we're not last.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college/college-gridiron-365/os-sp-sec-quarterback-rankings-20180305-story.html

I mean, not to derail this discussion, and at the risk of a Beetlejuice / Bloody Mary type situation with mizzouman, but how in the world is Missouri 8th on the list with Drew Lock returning?  Seems at worst they should be third.  Only thing I can think is that they overemphasize stars in recruiting or team record and underemphasize actual, on-field performance of the person at the QB position.

[/threadjack]

rhames

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on March 06, 2018, 08:46:50 am
Well, now we know Hyatt is out of the running.

Poor kid probably won't make it through spring now.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Warrior Way 22

Obviously I will root for whoever wins the job, but I think it's going to be CK. I also hope its CK. Not very often that guys with arm talent like that guy has come along. We forget sometimes that last year was his first SEC playing experience, and although there were definitely some less than stellar moments, he also had some moments where we saw a lot of potential.
"Warriors should suffer their pain silently."

younghog

GO HOGS

PorkRinds

Ricky Town?  (Sorry I couldn't resist. Don't get angry please)

RME

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 06, 2018, 11:16:28 am
Ricky Town?  (Sorry I couldn't resist. Don't get angry please)

Didn't you know? He was mistreated and never given a real opportunity.

hawg1221

Like CCM said, the freshman and seniors are learning this new offense together for the first time. There's no advantage. I don't think Cole will be the starter. I don't think the game time experience he received last year will be too much of a factor. I really like the 2 new qb's coming in this year, as well as Hyatt. I heard that Conner Noland played in a similar offense at Greenwood. If true, it would seem that he could learn and understand the offense easier. We'll see.

ballz2thewall

Quote from: moses_007 on March 05, 2018, 11:26:19 pm
I hope Noland and Jones are both terrific as freshmen.  We all thought Storey would be our savior, or Rafe Peavey, and neither turned out to be good enough. I don't see Kelley as the starter in Morris' system.  Coach should make a tight end out of him, or an offensive lineman, the way he can mow people down.

my gut tells me you're right about kelly, though he does show the tendency to get the ball out quickly.
The rest of the frog.

RaisinHog

Kelley's accuracy concerns me big time

Hogindasticks

Hogindasticks

Quote from: RaisinHog on March 06, 2018, 11:37:30 am
Kelley's accuracy concerns me big time

Hyatt is much more accurate and much faster

Mike Irwin

He was struggling in the early part of practice this afternoon. Threw some really bad looking passes.

parallaxpig

Starter won't be here till summer.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

hawg1221

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 06, 2018, 05:46:58 pm
He was struggling in the early part of practice this afternoon. Threw some really bad looking passes.

Kelley or Hyatt?

Mike Irwin

RD

Quote from: GuvHog on March 06, 2018, 08:52:21 am
Totally agree. I strongly believe the #1 QB spot is Cole's to lose. Having SEC starting experience is far more important than some realize.
Tua Tagovailoa says hi

TheRazorback500

Storey was working ahead of Kelley today and has gotten off to a strong start.
Do you wanna get Rocked?

Hawgphat

I'm not afraid of being bashed and ostracized for "thinking outside the box"; it wouldn't be the first time.

I'm wondering - simply on the basis of idle speculation - that IF - I say again IF - Cole Kelley does not prove to be the #1 (or even #2) QB in the pecking order, would it be feasible to convert him into a fullback?  I believe that he has amply demonstrated that he possesses the inherent strength and durability to both block AND run the ball upon occasion; - - and he could also conceivably be afforded the additional occasional duty of having carefully scripted opportunities to be a designed passer in certain situations.

Of course, if he has his heart irrevocably set on playing QB, - and should he be forced to face the fact that he is NOT going to be the #1 QB for The Arkansas Razorbacks, - - - then he could very conceivably opt to transfer to another program where he WOULD be assured of being the starting QB.

What say you?

Buff

Quote from: younghog on March 06, 2018, 10:59:14 am
LETS HOPE NOT

So I've been spending basketball season yelling at my tv and not paying attention to the football team. 

I'm curious, why do you say this?

Tusks

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on March 06, 2018, 10:00:39 am
At least we're not last.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college/college-gridiron-365/os-sp-sec-quarterback-rankings-20180305-story.html

jebus how did TN get that kid from Stanford.  They've been worse than the hogs for the last 5 seasons.  Looks like since ole fulmer 'untouchables' is back in charge, things are getting 'taken care of again'

and no team is worse than LSU at the QB position.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Mike Irwin

Quote from: TheRazorback500 on March 06, 2018, 08:37:14 pm
Storey was working ahead of Kelley today and has gotten off to a strong start.
There is no "working ahead of" going on right now with the quarterbacks. Morris said it on Saturday. Storey confirmed it after yesterday's practice. Both said each of the quarterbacks have been given opportunities to work with the top unit. A reporter suggested that he (Storey) worked more at No. 1 on Tuesday. Storey said no, the rotations were random.

From what was said I got the impression the QB rotation will narrow after Saturday's scrimmage.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: tusked on March 06, 2018, 09:33:59 pm
jebus how did TN get that kid from Stanford.  They've been worse than the hogs for the last 5 seasons.  Looks like since ole fulmer 'untouchables' is back in charge, things are getting 'taken care of again'

and no team is worse than LSU at the QB position.

Vanderbilt and Hogs should be higher than OM and LSU. 

I'm thrilled with our qb depth.  We've rarely had more in the SEC era.  We've of course had a better starter.  But not this many promising prospects. 

I would still think CK is the favorite.  He is a leader and showed "it" in games last season.  Not ideal because he lacks speed.  But Fitzgerald at MSU is a big qb who isn't a blazing runner either.  He is a 4.8-4.9 40 runner.  We just need CK to make the right reads in the run game and get 5-6 yards on those keepers.  I do wonder how long it is till Noland pushes him for playing time. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

RME

Quote from: jbigs77 on March 06, 2018, 10:09:02 am
I think Cole will be the starter, but I also look for someone or others to also play a roll at QB.

What I saw last year is Cole line up and run the ball for 3 to 4 yards consistently. The other teams stacked the box, and knew at times what he was going to do and still, he got yards.

I think CM will be more spread and unpredictable. Cole is so big he is hard to bring down. I think this can create mismatches, and this is what CM will try to do. In a spread formation, other teams may stack the box, at their own risk. If they do, the run/pass option will come into play. I think the 3 to 4 yards from last year could turn into longer runs, with Cole in a 1 on 1 against smaller defensive backs. When these longer runs happen, and other teams adjust, this will open up the middle of the field for passes.

Agreed.

Average YPC by QBs under Morris as an OC or HC:

2011: 1.5 (Boyd)
2012: 2.8 (Boyd)
2013: 2.6 (Boyd)
2014: 3.2 (Watson)
2015: 4.1 (Davis)
2016: -2.0 (Hicks)
2017: 0.9 (Hicks)

Absolutely no reason to think that Kelley can't fit within those numbers, though he did manage 1.4 YPC last year.

But, different offense. I think he'll do well if he's the starter.

Hook 'em Hogs

I'll just chime in.  I think it will end up being Cole Kelley.  I've seen too much football to just pretend that the experience he received last year.  Plus he's lost some weight and will still be one of the bigger guys on the field that can move.  He struggled with accuracy, but many freshman do in their early starts.  We'll see.