Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NCAA is sitting a dangerous president with decision

Started by jbcarol, December 03, 2010, 01:10:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim Harris

Quote from: duck slayer on July 23, 2012, 10:04:15 am
Doesn't this scholarship math effectively prevent them from taking a 2013 recruiting class?

If they are currently at 85 and lose 20 to graduation, etc. at the end of the year, that attrition alone would still have them at 65 and maxed out.  If this is correct, they would have to lose 35 players in order to bring in their 15 recruits.

Interested to see what the Big 10 does.  I can't imagine any team in the conference wants to play PSU any time soon.  The PSU/NE game was a bizarre thing to watch last year when the scandal was fresh.  I can't imagine how bizarre PSU games will be this year.

They will have plenty of spots open after kids transfer out.

jbcarol

NCAA says they have to honor scholarships for all who do not transfer and do not become ineligible via academics, legal trouble, etc.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

RazorBrat

Quote from: No Porking Here To Corner on July 23, 2012, 09:30:19 am
I would hate to be a lifelong Penn State fan today. Can you imagine how we would feel if this was Arkansas?

Nothing compared to how I would have felt if my Alma Mater's coach and administration had turned a blind eye to a pedophile within their midst

jbcarol

Penn State coach Bill O'Brien:

Quote"Today we receive a very harsh penalty from the NCAA and as Head Coach of the Nittany Lions football program, I will do everything in my power to not only comply, but help guide the University forward to become a national leader in ethics, compliance and operational excellence. I knew when I accepted the position that there would be tough times ahead. But I am committed for the long term to Penn State and our student athletes.

"I was then and I remain convinced that our student athletes are the best in the country. I could not be more proud to lead this team and these courageous and humble young men into the upcoming 2012 season. Together we are committed to building a better athletic program and university."

The Patriot-News reported earlier today that O'Brien has a no out clause in his contract dealing with NCAA sanctions.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

thebignasty

They would have been better off with the death penalty.
Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

Calling All Hogs

I normally find vacating wins as a worthless punishment but here it is kind of a nice symbolic touch.

Hawg Balling

Quote from: CallMeHog on July 23, 2012, 10:14:21 am
I normally find vacating wins as a worthless punishment but here it is kind of a nice symbolic touch.

Agreed.  No doubt they were looking for any way to take away the 'winningest coach' title with regard to every college football classification that fit Paterno (overall, D-1, FBS, etc). 

Boarcephus

Quote from: TrueBlue on July 23, 2012, 08:44:23 am
I said it before and will say it again, vacated wins = useless punishment.

If they made them forfeit the victories, that would be another story.

When did this "vacate wins" crap become the norm for punishment??  No punishment here.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

arkmark

Decisions thus far from the B1G.

PSU not eligible to participate for conference championships. (4 yrs)

PSU will not receive member shares of post season bowl earnings. (about 13 million)

Tim Harris

Quote from: arkmark on July 23, 2012, 10:31:30 am
Decisions thus far from the B1G.

PSU not eligible to participate for conference championships. (4 yrs)

PSU will not receive member shares of post season bowl earnings. (about 13 million)

Why even put that part about the championship?  Isn't that considered post season play which the NCAA has already banned them from?

Pulled(PP)pork

July 23, 2012, 10:37:28 am #161 Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 10:39:45 am by Pulled(PP)pork
Quote from: Boarcephus on July 23, 2012, 10:22:09 am
When did this "vacate wins" crap become the norm for punishment??  No punishment here.
what would you have them do, dig him up and b!tch slap him?

Pulled out...

razorback3072

Quote from: Boarcephus on July 23, 2012, 10:22:09 am

It wasn't done to punish the school.  It was a way to punish Paterno by stripping his wins and removing him as the "winningest coach".  If he hadn't been the winningest coach, I don't believe they would have vacated those wins. 

I agree that vacating wins as a sanction in cases is crap.  In this case though, it has significant meaning.
A veteran is someone who at one point in his life wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for the amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor. There are way too many people in this country who no longer understand that.

http://www.nralifeofduty.tv/#/patriotprofiles

http://fearlessnavyseal.com/

Mick Hogger

Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on July 23, 2012, 10:37:28 am
what would you have them do, dig him up and b!tch slap him?

Pulled out...

Forfeit the wins and take the loss.  I think vacating wins is useless.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Killean

Any truth to the comment going around that with the wins vacated the last QB to win a game at PSU is Mike Mcqueary?
Everyone is born with the right to exist. When you become a Nazi you give up that right.

razorback3072

Quote from: Boarcephus on July 23, 2012, 11:19:52 am
Forfeit the wins and take the loss.  I think vacating wins is useless.

I don't like vacating wins but to me, forfeiting is only effective if it's done within a season and therefore has a direct impact on the outcome of that season.  Forfeiting wins years after the fact does nothing more than vacating wins does. 
A veteran is someone who at one point in his life wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for the amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor. There are way too many people in this country who no longer understand that.

HG

Quote from: Killean on July 23, 2012, 11:20:23 am
Any truth to the comment going around that with the wins vacated the last QB to win a game at PSU is Mike Mcqueary?

He was QB from '94-'97.so it looks like it.

greasy_corner

Quote from: CallMeHog on July 23, 2012, 10:14:21 am

Yep, normally vacating wins is pretty mild, but this one actually does something in regards to Paterno's overall record.

sickboy

Quote from: itbm1 on July 23, 2012, 08:32:35 am
Local news and reaction from Penn State. The comments to the articles by fans are very telling.

http://www.pennlive.com/jerry-sandusky/

This comment is solid gold. PSU fans are insane!!!!

"The head of the NCAA is almost as bad as Hitler. One of his generals was killed so he killed every man,women and child in the town then he burned the town down. I can see the fine and the the wins taken away from Perterno but to punish a whle team for what they had nothing to do with the whole matter. I guess he fells like Hitler you are guilty by being part of the football program. No player played any part in what happened. THIS PUNISMENT DOES NOTHING TO THE GUILTY PEOPLE JUST THE STUDENT BODY AND THE FOOTBALL TEAM. fOUR COMMIT A COVER UP AND EVERYONE PAYS BUT THE GUILTY ONES. Sounds like Russia to me. They have always been trying to get PSU and he finnnaly found a way to do it. GOD BLESS PSU"

HG

Quote from: sickboy1138.2 on July 23, 2012, 11:51:50 am
This comment is solid gold. PSU fans are insane!!!!

"The head of the NCAA is almost as bad as Hitler. One of his generals was killed so he killed every man,women and child in the town then he burned the town down. I can see the fine and the the wins taken away from Perterno but to punish a whle team for what they had nothing to do with the whole matter. I guess he fells like Hitler you are guilty by being part of the football program. No player played any part in what happened. THIS PUNISMENT DOES NOTHING TO THE GUILTY PEOPLE JUST THE STUDENT BODY AND THE FOOTBALL TEAM. fOUR COMMIT A COVER UP AND EVERYONE PAYS BUT THE GUILTY ONES. Sounds like Russia to me. They have always been trying to get PSU and he finnnaly found a way to do it. GOD BLESS PSU"

Godwin's Law will never die.  Whatever form the Internet will have taken in the year 3012, people will still be comparing the circumstances surrounding their pet issues to Hitler and the Nazis.  Xar'flu the Devouring SpaceBeast will be widely reviled for its SS-like tactics when conquering Mars.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: NolanForAD on July 23, 2012, 11:57:44 am
Did he state which rule PSU supposedly broke?   I still have not heard him say that.  No formal allegation.  No allegation at all.  No investigation.  No finding of breaking a rule.  Just punishment like a lightning bolt from a clear blue sky.
you do understand the term "unprecedented", right?

Pulled out...

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: NolanForAD on July 23, 2012, 12:03:27 pm
Well... it may turn out that you are like the French who laughed when Hitler invaded Poland, never stopping to think where he might invade next.

The head of the NCAA just slapped horrific sanctions on a member school without EVER notifying them of what regulation they supposedly violated, without any semblance of an investigation WHATSOEVER, without giving them an opportunity to be HEARD, and without possibility of APPEAL.

I don't care what they MAY have done.  I will NEVER support punishment without due process.    What are you going to say if today's NCAA comes after US?
if we are ever guilty of such heinous acts, I will declare my no longer being a fan and bring the lighter fluid to help burn the mutha down

Pulled out...

atekido

Everyone Don't Forget the Big Ten also still can tach on more punishment.  This has made them look bad also. 

Tim Harris

Did he state which rule PSU supposedly broke?   I still have not heard him say that.  No formal allegation.  No allegation at all.  No investigation.  No finding of breaking a rule.  Just punishment like a lightning bolt from a clear blue sky.

This is the Patriot Act of the NCAA.  You no longer have to be found guilty of anything.  The higher ups just have to think you are and do with you what they want.

trippigs

PSU displayed a lack of institutional control for a long time. NCAA did the right thing imho. Now it is time for legal and Big 10 to do their part. Tough but fully deserved.

hogchic2001

That's closest to the death penalty I've seen since TCU. If I was Miami I would be scared to death!
Go HOGS Go!

catfish07

Quote from: NolanForAD on July 23, 2012, 12:03:27 pm
Well... it may turn out that you are like the French who laughed when Hitler invaded Poland, never stopping to think where he might invade next.

The head of the NCAA just slapped horrific sanctions on a member school without EVER notifying them of what regulation they supposedly violated, without any semblance of an investigation WHATSOEVER, without giving them an opportunity to be HEARD, and without possibility of APPEAL.

I don't care what they MAY have done.  I will NEVER support punishment without due process.    What are you going to say if today's NCAA comes after US?

For what it is worth the school admins apparently knew prior to today and agreed to the sanctions. I could be incorrect and apologize in advance if this is the case.

"If I owned both Texas and Hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in Hell."

-General Philip Sheridan

catfish07

Quote from: NolanForAD on July 23, 2012, 12:14:13 pm
Exactly!    And the natives are so drunk with the blood of Penn State, they don't even care...

I should also state I am not a fan of how the sanctions came about. I don't think another investigation was needed besides the Freeh Report but I do think the NCAA should have followed some protocols. The tough part is the timing issue as it relates to current players (students) being able to transfer out of their scholarships if they no longer want to be associated with the school.

Overall a bad situation and it only gets more complicated when you look at future schools and the questioning of sanctions.

-General Philip Sheridan

Hawg Balling

Quote from: NolanForAD on July 23, 2012, 12:14:57 pm
What makes you think the NCAA gives a rats ass about Miami?

Aside from the fact that the NCAA is investigating Miami for the Shapiro mess? 

Tim Harris

Quote from: catfish07 on July 23, 2012, 12:16:42 pm
I should also state I am not a fan of how the sanctions came about. I don't think another investigation was needed besides the Freeh Report but I do think the NCAA should have followed some protocols. The tough part is the timing issue as it relates to current players (students) being able to transfer out of their scholarships if they no longer want to be associated with the school.

Overall a bad situation and it only gets more complicated when you look at future schools and the questioning of sanctions.

My main issue is the Freeh report doesn't legally prove any guilt.  At least let the legal system run its course.  Then if you choose to do this so be it.  I still don't see where it is a football issue but at least by that point the President/coaches/etc... would have been proven guilty of something.  As it stands right now Sandusky is the only criminal.

hogchic2001

July 23, 2012, 12:21:28 pm #181 Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 12:25:18 pm by hogchic2001
Quote from: NolanForAD on July 23, 2012, 12:14:57 pm
What makes you think the NCAA gives a rats ass about Miami?
Are you stupid? They have been investigating Miami for a while. 
Go HOGS Go!

Tim Harris

Quote from: maxdavid on July 23, 2012, 12:22:32 pm
Bad precedent or not, this is what the presidents and chancellors wanted.  They are tired of all the BS like went on at Ohio State, USC, and North Carolina.  Athletic directors, coaches and boosters across the nation have been put on notice.  No more winks and nods.  You get out of line and the hammer is coming down,, quickly.  I bet Miami and Al Golden crapped a brick this morning.

I bet Al Golden and Miami are sitting back smiling.  The NCAA isn't worried with them right now.  This story has national attention so it is the only one they care about.

Mr. Porkleone

Hawg Balling

Quote from: NolanForAD on July 23, 2012, 12:19:03 pm
Oh.  They are INVESTIGATING.   They sent a letter of inquiry?   They have notified Miami of the investigation of possible rules violations?   Well, if they are doing those things, they OBVIOUSLY don't care.  If they cared, they would throw their procedures out the window and just declare punishment for un named violations, wouldn't they?

http://sports.yahoo.com/investigations/news?slug=ys-miami_violations_statute_of_limitations_081811

QuoteThe NCAA informed University of Miami administrators it will consider invoking its "willful violators" clause and make an exception to the traditional four-year statute of limitations in the Nevin Shapiro case, a university source told Yahoo! Sports.

Yeah, they're definitely not doing anything to Miami....

razorback3072

July 23, 2012, 12:28:27 pm #185 Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 12:32:35 pm by razorback3072

1) No need for an investigation.  PSU had already commisioned Freeh to conduct an investigation.  All the NCAA needed to know was contained within those findings which PSU agreed with.

2) Again, PSU agreed with the findings and therefore no allegations needed to be made.  Essentially it's the same as self-reporting as they admitted to it all.  AND, PSU has agreed to all the sanctions by entering into the "consent decree".

3) IMO, the fact that the NCAA did not act through the Committee on Infractions is key.  This action came through the Executive Committee who, by rule 4.1.2(e), had the authority to act.

Below is the NCAA link to this and within that page is a link to the Constitutional references used.  So obviously the NCAA disagrees with your opinion.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/20120723/21207233

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/20120723/21207235

HogScoutMaster

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on July 23, 2012, 12:07:46 pm
if we are ever guilty of such heinous acts, I will declare my no longer being a fan and bring the lighter fluid to help burn the mutha down

+1

QuoteThe President agreed to it

so if thats the case, they ADMITTED guilt correct Nolan? 

QuoteI will NEVER support punishment without due process.

That's fine, because actions like those that occured at PSU, already having that scum in jail needs no "due process"  GUILTY GUILY GUILTY.
"A week of camp life is worth six months of
theoretical teaching in the meeting room."

catfish07

Quote from: NolanForAD on July 23, 2012, 12:25:52 pm
They did it this way because there is no NCAA rule which they could claim PSU violated which would stand up to scrutiny.   I don't care about PSU.  I do care about the governing body of college football.  The very same organization which told us that "Its policy of strictly construing its rules kept it from going after Auburn, when it could prove that Auburn paid Cam's Daddy, but Cam's Daddy is Not Cam, is he. hahahaha"

Now, that bastion of principle, the NCAA just throws its own handbook out the window and doesn't even bother to EVER tell PSU or us what violation PSU committed?    The NCAA has no cred whatsoever.  Worse than that, they are a rogue shark, cruising the ocean for the next media friend'y victim.

http://michaelbucknerlaw.wordpress.com/2012/07/22/michael-l-buckner-law-firm-statement-on-reports-of-ncaa-sanctions-against-penn-state/#comment-1502

We are on the same page with this by and large. Special circumstances require special action but how will this be applied in the future is my greatest fear. They failed against Auburn but not against PSU; the difference being PSU is a national scandal and they want to seem like they are taking a stand.

-General Philip Sheridan

Tim Harris

Quote from: maxdavid on July 23, 2012, 12:28:42 pm
Are you even reading the coverage or are you just running your mouth.

"Moreover, the NCAA had a responsibility to act both swiftly and sternly in a case that Emmert said "strikes at the very heart of what intercollegiate athletics is all about."

Ray recalled a retreat held by leading presidents and chancellors last year in which they decided, "We've had enough. This has to stop." The Penn State case provided them the opportunity to back it up.

"Does this send a message?" Ray said. "The message is, the presidents and chancellors are in charge."

And what have they done so far?  They have an entire process they will go through.  Why does one situation warrant doing whatever you want within a couple days of getting the information and the other takes years.  They have just as much information to make a ruling now.  Any school that was in hot water is enjoying a break from the NCAA because they are worried about Penn State right now.  Will their time come around...sure.....will any of the people still be there caused the problems?  probably not

Hoggish1

By Pete Thamel of the NYTimes
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/23/sports/ncaafootball/ncaa-plans-punitive-measures-against-penn-state-for-Sandusky.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_th_20120723

COMMENTS:
David
New Jersey
The death penalty isn't meant for schools where administrators were criminal. That is what the legal process is meant to deal with.

The NCAA exists to make sure football programs do not cheat by 1) passing players through without earning grades, 2) pay their players or let others pay their players, 3) rig games, 4) violate other such rules that would be ruled cheating to get better performance on field.

That said, I certainly agree that PSU deserves some serious penalties. However, death penalty punishes the wrong people. The people associated with this scandal are all gone from the institution and have criminal proceedings forthcoming. A death penalty would only punish the current student athletes who had no involvement, the current coaching staff who had no involvement, and would wreck economic hardship throughout central PA ... with many losing jobs due to loss of tourist income to the region.

While I recognize a need to give a strong penalty to PSU, cancelling the football program long term would be wrong. Not wrong so much for PSU, but remember the entire region of central PA is very rural and in part reliant on the economic influence of PSU football weekends. If those are cancelled, thousands and thousands of residents and businesses throughout central PA will suffer. It would probably cause very serious economic hardship. Why punish all these people when they had nothing to do with PSU's looking the other way?

I'm with this poster.  Nothing could be worse than what Paterno condoned in allowing Sandusky to keep going.
__ __ __
I have questions:

The NCAA says they did not give PSU the death penalty; really? This will be almost as bad for PSU as the real death penalty that SMU got. And, the roster is allowed to be stripped by every other school in the NCAA, which will further destroy the viability of the program—perhaps for two decades.  Isn't that, in effect, the death penalty...? 

I say almost as bad as SMU, because the size of both schools is so much different. The You of A had a vice-chancellor named Roger Williams, who left in the 1990's to become the director of PSU's Alumni Association—the largest such assoc. in the nation.  PSU has millions of grads.  What about them?  Were they involved in the cover up; do they condone what happened there, in any way?  Are they to be punished for the sins of the immediately past regime?  I'm guessing the football fans among them will not be looking forward to visiting on weekends to see their team be noncompetitive for may years to come.

The economy of that region of PA will not be helped by this penalty.  I would have rather they drew off $20 mil from the athletic Department for 10, or more years (to provide for victim abuse, etc.) than one lump sum that probably will further cripple the program.  Scholarship reductions and TV/Bowl bans in the amount given to USCe would seem appropriate.  After all, there is/was a criminal investigation and sentences were handed out.  There now follows vast litigation for many years to come and PSU will suffer dearly—as it should! 

I agree with the stripping of Paterno's wins (now Bobby Bowden has finally won that battle with Paterno... woopy). But if you make an example that's too harsh, now that all the principals have been punished and removed from the scene, all you do is punish the innocent. 

PSU could have been directed, or used, to be a better example to the nation about child sexual abuse, in perpetuity, for what went on there with a little more foresight and less heavy handedness, by the NCAA. 

Speaking of them—where is the punishment we've been waiting for about Auburn and Miami?

Aston Martin 8 dude

Quote from: jbcarol on July 23, 2012, 08:22:45 am
Penn St. Trustee to ESPN: "Thought moving the statue of Joe Paterno inside would have been enough."
What is with some of these clowns?! Many of them obviously STILL don't get it.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Hawg Balling on July 23, 2012, 08:32:44 am
.  They also have a big time 5 star QB out of Virginia who was going to wait and see how the situation with the sanctions play out before reaffirming or reneging on his commitment.  Surely he'll reopen his recruitment after today's announcement. 

Auburn lock!

catfish07

Quote from: NolanForAD on July 23, 2012, 12:34:07 pm
They failed in BOTH.    How will any PSU fan ever be able to accept a DECREE without an accusation?    He didn't even FIND that PSU did anything against NCAA rules.  This case demanded due process, like no other.

I think the sanctions are correct; the failure I spoke of is failing to use special actions for the case against Auburn when they stated they don't have a rule in place to prevent what happened.

Penn State had due process but chose to go along with the sanctions. If they had balked we might be looking at the traditional model. PSU went along with this to reduce the public image of negativity and not kill general student recruitment.

-General Philip Sheridan

HogScoutMaster

Quote from: Tim Harris on July 23, 2012, 12:32:39 pm
And what have they done so far?  They have an entire process they will go through.  Why does one situation warrant doing whatever you want within a couple days of getting the information and the other takes years. 

maybe so the healing of the victims could begin?

HG

Quote from: NolanForAD on July 23, 2012, 12:32:19 pm
What regulation did Penn State allegedly break?      If you allow tortured logic to allow the NCAA to dispense with procedure in this case, then don't argue the NEXT time they do it.

I can think of NO case which more called for a strict adherence to the NCAA's rules and procedures - and they have just been completely discarded.

I can see where Nolan is coming from.  As a sanctioning body, the NCAA needs to meet at three requirements: 

1) they need to have a clear-cut body of rules and regulations addressing an issue
2) they need to have sufficient moral/ethical credibility to impose sanctions
3) they need impose sanctions equitably and justifiably.

It's actually not unreasonable to ask that the NCAA outline exactly what laws they consider PSU to have broken, describe how they arrived at that conclusion, and how they calculated the proper penalties/punishment.  I have no doubt they can answer all three, but their statements thus far have been pretty vague.  It pays for an institution like the NCAA to make sure everything perfectly clear and documented.  People will still argue with them, but it makes it harder to claim the NCAA is being arbitrary or corrupt.  Granted, the NCAA often is arbitrary and corrupt imho, but that's not relevant to my point here. :P

Tim Harris

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on July 23, 2012, 12:25:04 pm
Are they still allowed to be on TV?

Yes.  It is one of the few ways they will still make money to pay for all the lawsuits.

Tim Harris

Quote from: DewUar88 on July 23, 2012, 12:42:16 pm

maybe so the healing of the victims could begin?

If taking down a statue and banning the team from bowl games helps the vicitims heal then I'm glad they have done it.  That being said I don't think this is a situation the victims ever heal from.

sickboy

Quote from: NolanForAD on July 23, 2012, 11:58:54 am
What exactly, did he get wrong?   

I like you. You're usually a well-reasoned poster who I would imagine brings a lot of their law expertise to the discussion. I've agreed with you a lot in the past, but I have to graciously disagree with you here. I think it's ludicrous for any fan of Penn State to equate what the NCAA has done to them to that of what Hitler did to the Jews.

I realize we're talking hyperbole here from a redneck in Pennsylvania who's upset about PSU football. But I think he got it wrong, nonetheless. Emmert and the NCAA may be worthless human beings, but genocidal maniacs they are not.

HogScoutMaster

WHAT everyone FAILS to realize is that this PSU mess IS ITS first that the NCAA has had to deal with.

I am sure rules and laws will be put in to assist if this arises again.  PSU will be made an example, and I am OK with that.

Hoggish1

Quote from: RazorBrat on July 23, 2012, 10:09:51 am
Nothing compared to how I would have felt if my Alma Mater's coach and administration had turned a blind eye to a pedophile within their midst

Correct.  But now those alumni who hated what JP condoned now have a couple of decades to be reminded about it every time their team gets their brains beat out...