Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How well do you think the offense will be this year?

Started by Sweet Feet, July 05, 2017, 02:21:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweet Feet

From the passing and rushing game, to the playcalling, how much better do you expect the offense to be this season?

East Clintwood

Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Polecat

July 05, 2017, 02:55:36 pm #4 Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 03:42:58 pm by Polecat
Rawleigh's injury was the first unwell thing to happen thus far
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

rhames

The offense doesn't make me sick. Thanks for asking.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

nchogg

I'm not worried about the passing game because too many times last year we were one dimensional. This year I see a front line that will run block much better than last year so I say we will be better. Without an aggressive defense  24 to 30 point lead means nothing with the spread offenses we play.

goodguytex

This is the year KA starts showing how good on an OL coach he is. If he's a top coach, our Oline will be much better, and our run game will be much improved. What I'm going to be interested in seeing more than just about anything from our Oline and run game is short yardage situations like goal line.

I'm hoping we don't get blown up and pushed back like we did last year in those situations. The Oline needs to have it's way in those situations with defenses they come up against.

nwahogfan1

Well we hope the OL will be better but RB took a huge hit with RW injury and we lost all but 1 WR so  that position can not be as good.  AA should be better if he stays well.

So I say probable not as good but not a big drop off.

PonderinHog

davehog

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

goodguytex

ESPNU is right now showing last year's Arkansas/Aggie game. Early on, it was the self inflicted mistakes and errors on our part that hurt us. That's got to change for us to be better offensively. The dumb turnovers have to stop. The goal line offense where we try shirt yardage numerous times and can't gain a yard.

It's stuff like that which will get you beat. If we eliminate some self inflicted mistakes, get better Oline play, and better defense, we should be just fine.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: goodguytex on July 07, 2017, 08:37:11 am
ESPNU is right now showing last year's Arkansas/Aggie game. Early on, it was the self inflicted mistakes and errors on our part that hurt us. That's got to change for us to be better offensively. The dumb turnovers have to stop. The goal line offense where we try shirt yardage numerous times and can't gain a yard.

It's stuff like that which will get you beat. If we eliminate some self inflicted mistakes, get better Oline play, and better defense, we should be just fine.

In all fairness, on two different occasions down in their RZ inside the 5, ball carriers ran to the wrong holes or they could have got into the EZ. It doesn't help at all if you block it right and we choose to run to the wrong hole.

In that game our defense was moved around like chess pieces by A&M's OC. Because of our predictability and lack of imagination in scheming their defense, he knew exactly what sets would open us up for big plays, though I am sure that even they were surprised with how easy it was to do that and, how really big, the "big plays" turned out to be.
Go Hogs Go!

Dominicanhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 07, 2017, 10:31:01 am
In all fairness, on two different occasions down in their RZ inside the 5, ball carriers ran to the wrong holes or they could have got into the EZ. It doesn't help at all if you block it right and we choose to run to the wrong hole.

In that game our defense was moved around like chess pieces by A&M's OC. Because of our predictability and lack of imagination in scheming their defense, he knew exactly what sets would open us up for big plays, though I am sure that even they were surprised with how easy it was to do that and, how really big, the "big plays" turned out to be.

Your right about how easily our defense was gutted by offensive alignments/adjustments.... but the offense could have and should have won that game.. a comedy of errors.. their defense was every bit as bad as ours... if you look at most of our losses the last 5 years, other than blowouts, it's just like this... defense gets the O the ball a few times.. offense turns it over with short field or can't make a 2nd half first down and the defense collapses.... imo, of course..

FANONTHEHILL

I believe that inside the 10yd line, one way that the offense will evolve this year, will be to not compress the formation, but to widen out and move defenders around.  More space means more gaps and cutback lanes.  No matter how good you are, running straight downhill into a 9 man front isn't going to be successful.  Our best red zone plays last year were Austin running a sweep, Keon throwing a pass on a reverse, Jared motioning into the backfield and then taking a sweep handoff for a touchdown, and Rawleigh running straight into a 9 in the box and throwing a jump pass to Cantrell.  You've got to mix it up and not just run downhill into an impossible situation.  I think they were reminded of that last year.  After you do things like the plays mentioned above, the defense softens and widens, that's when you go back to power.  Coach Enos will have them ready.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

widespreadsooie

We have a ton of inexperience at WR. A ton of inexperience at one position doesn't bode well, normally. See o-line last season. I think we'll have a tough time keeping defenses honest in the early going. I do have a lot of faith in Enos and Allen though. Hopefully those two will be enough to get over early growing pains with minimal to no damage.

gmarv

With a senior qb and a much improved o-line our offense will be much better.

RazorWest

Lost our running production and our Wide Receiving production as well as our Senior Left Tackle.  If you saw that on another team would you be predicting they were going to be better? 

colbs

Quote from: RazorWest on July 07, 2017, 12:28:16 pm
Lost our running production and our Wide Receiving production as well as our Senior Left Tackle.  If you saw that on another team would you be predicting they were going to be better? 
I think if anyone looked into it more they would realize that they return 4 starters on the OL including their best player on the line.  Then you have a couple of backups that have starting experience.  Last year they only returned two starters with not much depth. 

At RB while losing RW3 is tough they return a very talented RB in Whaley who should take a big jump from year 1 to year 2.   Plus BB seems to always have good running backs.  My main concern with the RBs would be the inexperience.  Overall I still think the running game will be solid.  Especially if the OL improves.

While they did lose two good receivers the returning players and the incoming signees have more talent.  Plus the depth should be pretty good.  I know everyone is talking about inexperience at the WR position but the 2015 WRs didn't have much experience coming into the season.  That was probably one of the best WR groups in recent memory-right up there with Childs, Adams, Wright, and Hamilton. A senior QB and hopefully an improved OL and I think we will not notice much of a drop off if any.

I think  honestly it comes down to how much the OL improves.  If they are much improved I think the passing and running game has a chance to improve actually.  I mean think about it how much better would the passing game been if AA had more time to pass?  How much better would the running game have been if the OL blocked better?  As you know the better a team is at passing it opens up the running game and vice versa.  There is enough talent on the offensive side that it can be very dangerous. 

HamSammich

I have a hunch we finally go full whisky....

150 yards passing 270 yards running per game.

colbs

Quote from: HamSammich on July 07, 2017, 02:03:06 pm
I have a hunch we finally go full whisky....

150 yards passing 270 yards running per game.
What makes you think that?  Back to back 3k passers and one is returning for his SR year.  They averaged almost 270 in the air last year and a little over 160 on the ground.

HamSammich

July 07, 2017, 04:00:18 pm #23 Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 04:18:24 pm by HamSammich
Quote from: colbs on July 07, 2017, 03:38:39 pm
What makes you think that?  Back to back 3k passers and one is returning for his SR year.  They averaged almost 270 in the air last year and a little over 160 on the ground.

I'll be frank. I don't think we have the receivers to pass. I think we are TE, RB, and very o-line strong. Not a super big fan of AAs either. It just sets up a full on whisky offense I believe.

Edit - in the offseason I rewatch every SEC game a few times. I'm not sure the SEC is going to be as dominant on run defense this year as well.

PorkSoda

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: goodguytex on July 05, 2017, 11:59:50 pm
This is the year KA starts showing how good on an OL coach he is. If he's a top coach, our Oline will be much better, and our run game will be much improved. What I'm going to be interested in seeing more than just about anything from our Oline and run game is short yardage situations like goal line.

I'm hoping we don't get blown up and pushed back like we did last year in those situations. The Oline needs to have it's way in those situations with defenses they come up against.
If we can't pick up first down up the middle on 3rd n 1 then we should stop with the power running stuff and spread it out a little more. If I see one more 1st and goal inside the 3 and we punch it up the gut every play and don't score then I'm going to the dark side

goodguytex

Quote from: RazorWest on July 07, 2017, 12:28:16 pm
I think you're forgetting about the transfer coming from south Carolina at RB. He has very real game experience playing in the SEC. We should be fine at RB.

goodguytex

Quote from: theFlyingHog on July 07, 2017, 04:58:25 pm
If we can't pick up first down up the middle on 3rd n 1 then we should stop with the power running stuff and spread it out a little more. If I see one more 1st and goal inside the 3 and we punch it up the gut every play and don't score then I'm going to the dark side
Yeah. Watching the Aggie game this morning, seeing the Hogs at the goal line getting chance after chance and failing. I started yelling at the TV again. Just like I did when the game was going on.

And Muskogee is right... Ball carriers were running to the wrong holes too that didn't help. On one occasion, RW got the ball and the play was designed to follow the FB and if RW had, he might've gotten in the EZ.

But still, we have to do better on the Oline at blocking. And FOTH is right as well... We have to be more creative and innovative in goal line situations, and spread them out some. If the defense knows exactly where the RBs will go and what they will do, that's where the defense will be at to shut you down.

HamSammich

Losing out senior left tackle might have been a blessing.... watch the tape.

Wildhog

Quote from: HamSammich on July 07, 2017, 05:29:28 pm
Losing out senior left tackle might have been a blessing.... watch the tape.

He was forced to play out of position since we didn't have anyone else that could play LT.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

HamSammich

Quote from: Wildhog on July 07, 2017, 05:31:20 pm
He was forced to play out of position since we didn't have anyone else that could play LT.

I didn't say why. It's obvious to anyone that watches football he is a dang good guard.(or rather could be)

Wildhog

Quote from: HamSammich on July 07, 2017, 06:08:33 pm
I didn't say why. It's obvious to anyone that watches football he is a dang good guard.

I'm not sure we'll be any better at LT this year.
1909/1964/1965/1977

HamSammich

Quote from: Wildhog on July 07, 2017, 06:09:49 pm
I'm not sure we'll be any better at LT this year.

I'm sure man. I really am. There are a lot of things to be critical with regarding this team. Offensive line isn't one of them imo.

Wildhog

Quote from: HamSammich on July 07, 2017, 06:11:03 pm
I'm sure man. I really am. There are a lot of things to be critical with regarding this team. Offensive line isn't one of them imo.

Who do you think will start at LT and why do you think we'll be better there?

Make me feel better about it.
1909/1964/1965/1977

bennyl08

Quote from: Wildhog on July 07, 2017, 06:12:02 pm
Who do you think will start at LT and why do you think we'll be better there?

Either Jackson or Ramirez.

Both are more athletic than Skipper was. Remains to be seen how either will mentally handle the position. However, both of their ceilings as LT's are higher than Skipper's was.

Would have to ask fanonthehill his thoughts on LT. Noting though that he is the type to say little if he doesn't have anything nice to say and go into depth if he does.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Pudgepork

Wildhog

Quote from: bennyl08 on July 07, 2017, 06:15:39 pm
Either Jackson or Ramirez.

Both are more athletic than Skipper was. Remains to be seen how either will mentally handle the position. However, both of their ceilings as LT's are higher than Skipper's was.

Would have to ask fanonthehill his thoughts on LT. Noting though that he is the type to say little if he doesn't have anything nice to say and go into depth if he does.

If Ramirez couldn't get on the field last year, I have my doubts. 

Hope you're right about Jackson.  I used to see him fishing out at Centennial Valley CC during the summer.  I do think he wins that job.
1909/1964/1965/1977

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Wildhog on July 07, 2017, 06:37:22 pm
If Ramirez couldn't get on the field last year, I have my doubts. 

Hope you're right about Jackson.  I used to see him fishing out at Centennial Valley CC during the summer.  I do think he wins that job.

I think Ramirez played in 3-4 games last year, but not much. Colton Jackson more athletic than Dan Skipper who also played LT as a Sophomore(I think?)? Ramirez too? Well maybe, I don't know. I don't have the opportunity to watch all of the practices that parents of the players are allowed to watch. I don't even get to see all of the practices that the media is allowed to watch. Who does?

I think it is difficult for people who don't have the benefit of watching practices all the time (not having direct access to the team when others do) to accurately assess the ability or athleticism of one player compared to another at the college level in the absence of experience and observation, and especially so if they haven't ever played college football, but just study it a lot.

This isn't like comparing rushing data or receiving data or passing data, even though all that we observe in those areas isn't always a finite measure of talent or ability.

Things like motivation, dedication, self discipline, acquired ability, scoring on O-Line tests with regard to calls and responsibilities, actually getting it done in practice and then mental and physical toughness when you line up and go after it one-on-one in the chutes or Oklahoma Drills is a better measure of who is better than another player overall on the O-line.

But let's face it, there is a lot that none of us have access to during practice. So take what a lot of folks say, with a grain of salt.
Go Hogs Go!

HamSammich

I don't agree with benny a lot or read his novel length posts but he's right here. CBB is a very very very loyal coach. He doesn't always play the best players but sometimes goes with the ones that he has ride and died with.

This is going to be a very good offensive line. I'll put a game on YouTube and point out plays perhaps but I don't want to be seen as speaking bad about players

HiggiePiggy

We will probably average about 35 points a game. Hopefully we can average 20 or less points allowed on defense. Have a 8 or 9 win regular season if we can do that.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HamSammich on July 07, 2017, 08:08:47 pm
I don't agree with benny a lot or read his novel length posts but he's right here. CBB is a very very very loyal coach. He doesn't always play the best players but sometimes goes with the ones that he has ride and died with.

This is going to be a very good offensive line. I'll put a game on YouTube and point out plays perhaps but I don't want to be seen as speaking bad about players

I disagree. He plays the guys who he feels can do the best job and he is in a better position to make that assessment than a bunch of fans who hang out on Hogville and may or may not have their own personal agendas.
Go Hogs Go!

HamSammich

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 07, 2017, 08:14:10 pm
I disagree. He plays the guys who he feels can do the best job and he is in a better position to make that assessment than a bunch of fans who hang out on Hogville and may or may not have their own personal agendas.

Froldholt was the best we had at guard last year? I could name player after player but I'm not getting into this .

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HamSammich on July 07, 2017, 08:16:01 pm
Froldholt was the best we had at guard last year? I could name player after player but I'm not getting into this .

Froholdt didn't perform up to expectations, I agree, but neither you nor I know who might have done a better job in that position or the actual reasoning for Froholdt being put in that position. So I agree with you, probably not good to talk about things that you don't know anything about.
Go Hogs Go!

PorkSoda

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 07, 2017, 08:21:49 pm
Froholdt didn't perform up to expectations, I agree, but neither you nor I know who might have done a better job in that position or the actual reasoning for Froholdt being put in that position. So I agree with you, probably not good to talk about things that you don't know anything about.
sure we do, Gibson filled in for Froholdt and played better.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: HamSammich on July 07, 2017, 08:16:01 pm

that's crazy.. you think these guys played someone else because why?

HamSammich

Quote from: Dominicanhog on July 07, 2017, 10:07:03 pm

Loyalty which isn't a bad trait in a coach. It's actually a compliment.

Hayden Fry was notorious for this and fielded great team after great team in a hard state to recruit to.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Dominicanhog on July 07, 2017, 10:07:03 pm
they played frohodlt because they felt he had the most potential while knowing that he had a steep learning curve.

Gibson came in an played better than Frohodlt, so there are other guys on the team that could theoretically play better that him, but maybe the coaches felt didn't have the same top end potential.

guess we will have to wait and see if he can achieve his potential this year.   he was not very consistent last year.

it really seems his issue is mental not physical.  if he can get the mental part squared away, he could dominate.  I think that is what the coaches are betting on.

PonderinHog

Quote from: PorkSoda on July 07, 2017, 10:03:35 pm
sure we do, Gibson filled in for Froholdt and played better.
I thought he played right guard.

PorkSoda

PorkSoda

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 07, 2017, 10:13:02 pm
I thought he played right guard.
Originally he filled in for Frohodlt at LG, he may have also taken snaps at RG after Froholdt came back, but I don't remember off the top of my head.