Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

good news

Started by gmarv, June 26, 2017, 11:47:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowHawg

Great news on both.

No way that there are 45 incoming freshman better than Gafford.

Razorod

Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

HogFoo

Man that is awesome news!!  I am glad that KG is just healthy!  But , heck he is more than OK he is cleared to play HawbBall!  so that is wonderful news and same with Gafford!  So glad to hear it on both of these guys.  With the guys we got coming back and coming in, I can easily see us making it back to the big dance . 
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

mizzouman

Quote from: ShadowHawg on June 26, 2017, 06:06:19 pm
Great news on both.

No way that there are 45 incoming freshman better than Gafford.
How do you know?

ShadowHawg

Quote from: mizzouman on June 27, 2017, 08:27:13 am
How do you know?

I follow basketball closely. You can find YouTube videos on all these kids today.

Just search Gafford dominant in Google. You will see multiple reports about him standing out in the nbpa top 150 camp.

I would also add that Arkansas has never had a big as athletic as Gafford. There have been more skilled but none can match the raw athletic ability he has.  Very fast end to end.

Also has a dunk everything attitude. Very aggressive about defense and will have to learn how to avoid foul trouble.

6'10" plus athletes are extremely rare in any recruiting class. If he had worked on his jumper more, he has the physical abilities to have been a top 25 to top 15  type recruit.

There aren't 45 guys better in this class, period.

daBoar

Quote from: ShadowHawg on June 27, 2017, 11:34:14 am
I follow basketball closely....

I would also add that Arkansas has never had a big as athletic as Gafford.

I guess you're thinking Corliss wasn't a big?

ShadowHawg

Quote from: daBoar on June 27, 2017, 02:10:54 pm

Corliss was barely 6'6". Gafford is 6'10".

daBoar

Quote from: ShadowHawg on June 27, 2017, 02:43:21 pm
Corliss was barely 6'6". Gafford is 6'10".
If Gafford's as good as Corliss was as a freshman, the Hogs will be in wonderful shape next year.  I'm not thinking that's the case, but would welcome your thoughts besides 4 inches translates to better athleticism and readiness.

hawgfan4life

Never once has the thought of Corliss being a big ever entered my mind.  Just because Moses brought the ball down court sometimes didn't make him a guard.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: daBoar on June 27, 2017, 02:55:29 pm
If Gafford's as good as Corliss was as a freshman, the Hogs will be in wonderful shape next year.  I'm not thinking that's the case, but would welcome your thoughts besides 4 inches translates to better athleticism and readiness.

I feel like you are creating a problem that doesn't exist.

Corliss was an undersized 4, actually played the 3 in the NBA while at Sacremento. Gafford is a straight up 5 at 6'10".

WE HAVE NEVER HAD A BIG MAN, 5, AS ATHLETIC AS GAFFORD IN THE HISTORY OF THIS PROGRAM.

Where in that statement are you getting readiness from? Corliss would have been one and done. Gafford is not. So not sure what you are getting at here.

daBoar

Corliss was our center.  No one could cover him in the SEC.  He took over the paint; I think that's the role of the big.  Perhaps it's different today, but I'm 61 and getting senile.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: daBoar on June 27, 2017, 04:30:46 pm
Corliss was our center.  No one could cover him in the SEC.  He took over the paint; I think that's the role of the big.  Perhaps it's different today, but I'm 61 and getting senile.

No. Stewart, Darnell, and Wilson were the centers.

PonderinHog

Corliss was a wide.

1hawgballer2

Quote from: ShadowHawg on June 27, 2017, 03:41:05 pm
I feel like you are creating a problem that doesn't exist.

Corliss was an undersized 4, actually played the 3 in the NBA while at Sacremento. Gafford is a straight up 5 at 6'10".

WE HAVE NEVER HAD A BIG MAN, 5, AS ATHLETIC AS GAFFORD IN THE HISTORY OF THIS PROGRAM.

Where in that statement are you getting readiness from? Corliss would have been one and done. Gafford is not. So not sure what you are getting at here.

Comments: not that it matters terribly but I believe Gafford is 6'11. I remember reading an earlier article where his high school coach stated by the time Daniel reach the UA campus he should be a legitimate 7'0 that suggests he is still growing

ShadowHawg

Quote from: ricolacey on June 28, 2017, 12:03:27 pm
Comments: not that it matters terribly but I believe Gafford is 6'11. I remember reading an earlier article where his high school coach stated by the time Daniel reach the UA campus he should be a legitimate 7'0 that suggests he is still growing

That would be awesome. He already has a 7'3" wingspan.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: ShadowHawg on June 27, 2017, 05:03:30 pm
Yep, Corliss was the power forward.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

I don't have a dog in this fight but do you think Corliss could EVER do this? Daniel is clearly more athletic than Corliss ever was. Not a better basketball player but a better athlete. There is a difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAgxrribUtY
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Jim Harris

Quote from: ShadowHawg on June 27, 2017, 05:03:30 pm

They were most of the time. But there were lineups (for example, late in first half and much of second half vs. Tulsa in the Sweet 16 1994) when Nolan went "small" and Corliss in fact was the center, and Robinson and Wilson weren't out there. Tulsa was a smaller and quicker team than the "regular" lineup where Corliss was the PF. If anything, Corliss was a low "post" in a high-low such as against Arizona and Duke.
On the same weekend in Dallas as the blowout win over Tulsa, Nolan also went "big" against Michigan because Michigan called for that. And that worked as well. Robinson had a helluva game. Stewart wide-bodied his way in as well. They still had the devil of a time with Juwan Howard, who I believe scored 30, but the Hogs advanced.
The 1994 team could answer any matchup it had to face. That's what made that team so great.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

lookawayquick

James "Black Cat" Crockett.

labb

Corliss was national Gatoraide player of the year. Makes no difference if he was a 5 or a 4. very powerful. Breaking backboards as a 14 year old...Gafford I hope will prove to be a great one but to try to compare him to Corliss at this stage of his career is  real reach.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Jim Harris on June 28, 2017, 02:48:54 pm
They were most of the time. But there were lineups (for example, late in first half and much of second half vs. Tulsa in the Sweet 16 1994) when Nolan went "small" and Corliss in fact was the center, and Robinson and Wilson weren't out there. Tulsa was a smaller and quicker team than the "regular" lineup where Corliss was the PF. If anything, Corliss was a low "post" in a high-low such as against Arizona and Duke.
On the same weekend in Dallas as the blowout win over Tulsa, Nolan also went "big" against Michigan because Michigan called for that. And that worked as well. Robinson had a helluva game. Stewart wide-bodied his way in as well. They still had the devil of a time with Juwan Howard, who I believe scored 30, but the Hogs advanced.
The 1994 team could answer any matchup it had to face. That's what made that team so great.

Is a 6'6" guy a big?

I don't give a crap where he plays on the court. That isn't a "big".

I guess Alonzo Lane was a "big" then also?

Corliss was always a forward. Always. Lineups don't change natural positions. Most "small" lineups don't have a center on the floor but someone still has to play the role of the 5 spot. It doesn't make them a center. It makes them a forward, playing the center position.

Gafford is a center. Corliss was not a center. Simple.

Cinco de Hogo

Corliss was a power forward, geez where would anyone get that he was a center.   And beside that the guy that started this argument wasn't even comparing them.