Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Subject Of Paying College Athletes Returns In Full Force

Started by maxre567, October 22, 2014, 05:04:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

maxre567

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/headlines/20141021-texas-athletic-director-with-new-rules-longhorns-would-pay-each-player-10000.ece

My thoughts on this, I'm not opposed to change within the current NCAA system, I certainly think there are rules that have been in place for far too long, many of which are unnecessarily unfair, and certainly go over the top as far as punishing certain schools and even athletes at times who don't deserve that.  I certainly have thought certain rules about athletes receiving gifts, endorsements, commercials, and the list goes on etc., many of those restrictions need to be done away with and the NCAA needs to realize that a capitalistic society should be prevalent everywhere including on college campuses.  Add to that, there certainly are many things that need to change within the structures related to academics and athletics, and there are many things athletes have to deal with that can be financial hits, such as injuries, for which I have no problem with them receiving some compensation for.

However, if we're looking at making athletes into full-time employees, I think that in and of itself is opening up a huge can of worms, and that has the potential to swing the pendulum in the complete opposite direction.  Some of the richer schools may not be all that affected by this, but certainly the less prestigious schools would take a big hit, and it would drive up the already killer-high tuition costs even more.  Plus, let's not forget that situation up at Northwestern where you already got these athletes wanting to be recognized as a union, that's a deal that nobody is gonna win on, so add that into the mix and I think this mess just gets bigger.  I don't know what you guys think about this, but this does not look like the right direction to go in at all.