Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

First basket in the Bud

Started by rhog1, November 16, 2012, 02:30:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rhog1

I heard this question asked to Pat Bradly on the radio the other day and he didn't know the answer. I have looked and can't find it either. Who made the first basket in a game in Bud Walton Arena? Pat guessed it would be Corliss but that was just a guess.

Science Fiction Greg

There (at least used to be) a little marker under one of the goals commemorating it (it was by Corliss Williamson).
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

jcul28

And the start to great season.  Hope MA brings them times back.

bigfan

I think the marker on the court was for an honorary bucket by Bud Walton.  I believe the last bucket in Barnhill and the first bucket in Walton were made by the same person.....Ken Biley

ballinhog

Seems I remember it being Corliss. I was pretty young and that was a long time ago but I think I remember Big Nasty making that first bucket

rhog1

Quote from: ballinhog on November 16, 2012, 06:02:51 pm
Seems I remember it being Corliss. I was pretty young and that was a long time ago but I think I remember Big Nasty making that first bucket
I was eleven years old when Bud Walton Arena opened. Corliss was like Superman to me I loved watching him play. Still my favorite Hog BBall player of all time.  It wouldn't surprise me if it was Corliss.

Rooster Hogburn

To forgive is to set a pisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.-Lewis B. Smedes

jgphillips3

Quote from: bigfan on November 16, 2012, 05:33:18 pm
I think the marker on the court was for an honorary bucket by Bud Walton.  I believe the last bucket in Barnhill and the first bucket in Walton were made by the same person.....Ken Biley

It was either Bud Walton or Frank Broyles that hit the shot for which that marker stood. I forget which player scored first.

Rockpig5

Was that not the game where we put the beat down on Mizz?

89ALUM

The marker is definitely in memory of Bud Walton, who made the first honorary "basket" at the initial dedication.  I was there in 1993 when he did it.

The first regular game at BWA was a beatdown of Murray St.  I don't remember who scored the initial basket - it could easily have been Corliss but I vaguely remember Lee Wilson for some reason.

The "Dedication" game was the next one, against Missouri.  Broadcast on ESPN, we rolled to a 120-68 victory over Norm Stewart.  It is phad the first basket in that game, but he only scored two points.

There is nothing about this on the internet, after spending more than an hour searching.  I do have an old VHS tape about the Razorbacks from that season, but it isn't mentioned on the tape who scored the first basket against Murray St.  You might email the SID at BWA to find out - if anyone knows it should be them.

Great question!
I'm in shape.  Round is a shape.

"That's what." - she

Hawg2afault

Like some have said, the mark on the floor was from Bud Walton's "shot."

secfan30

Quote from: bigfan on November 16, 2012, 05:33:18 pm

They stopped play to mark it if memory serves.

Wild Bill Hog

Odds are Rick S would know I'm guessing.

Jagdragon

The first televised game at Bud Walton was a beat down of Missouri. Dwight Stewart hit the first basket to give the Hogs a 3-0 lead.

EvilHog

I can't speak for exhibition games, but I was at the first regular season game ever played at Bud Walton.  I know for sure that Corliss scored the first basket.  I remember that.  And if I remember correctly, it was on a break-away dunk.  I might be wrong about the dunk, but I know he scored the first points there.

RazorWorld

Quote from: Corndog7 on November 16, 2012, 03:36:30 pm
There (at least used to be) a little marker under one of the goals commemorating it (it was by Corliss Williamson).

This is correct I sat right behind the goal one night. I saw the mark and asked about it.

RazorWorld

Quote from: EvilHog on November 19, 2012, 01:00:03 am
I can't speak for exhibition games, but I was at the first regular season game ever played at Bud Walton.  I know for sure that Corliss scored the first basket.  I remember that.  And if I remember correctly, it was on a break-away dunk.  I might be wrong about the dunk, but I know he scored the first points there.

I was there that night also, I still have my press pass.

Science Fiction Greg

Was also there.  99% it was Corliss Williamson.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.