Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Meat in freezer

Started by grayhawg, October 30, 2015, 07:16:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

grayhawg

Yesterday I shot a doe with my bow and she promptly runs straight down the steepest part of the bluff to expire. Huffing and puffing while dragging her up the hill and then to the truck reminded me that at 73 I am not the man I used to be. I have resolved not to hunt next to a bluff again, but I will probably forget that when I grill part of that tenderloin.

woodrow hog call

Congrats, that's pretty awesome. I'm 20 years younger and I would have trouble getting one up much of a bluff, so that's impressive.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

DeltaBoy

Congrats on getting that Doe.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

theFlyingHog

I won't haul a yearling out by myself and I'm 31.

rickm1976

Quote from: theFlyingHog on October 30, 2015, 02:15:16 pm
I won't haul a yearling out by myself and I'm 31.

Me either.  That's why I like hunting with my former offensive lineman (now a coach & math teacher) son.  The last deer I got was a huge but small rack buck, and when we got it up to the truck, I went to open the tailgate, and my son just grabbed it by the front and back legs and hoisted it over the side of the truck bed by himself before I could get the tailgate open.  He's 30, 6-2/300, still holds the squat record for his former Texas HS team, and really handy to have around.

pigture perfect

Yeah, I have come to the point of telling the younger guy, that if they will pull my deer out of the woods for me, I'll skin their deer for them.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Albert Einswine

I got one of those roll up plastic sleds you can lace a kill up in and pull it out on. They slide really easy on the thing. Has made the chore a lot less difficult.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Albert Einswine on November 10, 2015, 09:58:27 pm
I got one of those roll up plastic sleds you can lace a kill up in and pull it out on. They slide really easy on the thing. Has made the chore a lot less difficult.
I think I may invest in something like that. If my deer ever come back

DeltaBoy

Dad using a Blue Plastic tarp and some 1/2 yellow nylon 800 pound test rope .  He guts them where he finds them , Wraps them in the Tarp ties it up good and takes a Custom 6 foot tow rope to hook on the 4 wheeler to pull out nice and easy.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

DOGALUM

Unless it's a thumper, I've usually found it easier to just put it over my shoulder instead of dragging.  Just get it to a road or a clear  path, then go get some wheels. 

I'm excited about this weekend coming up.  I've taken my son hunting with me plenty, but he seems very eager this year compared to any time before.  I've always told him we are going and had to remind him.  This year, he's been keeping track of opening weekend and counting down the days.   Glad to see him really looking forward to it.   Looking forward to a great weekend.
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!