Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who Wins The Travers?

Started by HawgWild, August 23, 2017, 09:00:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgWild

Going over to the OTB. My handicapping skills are rusty.

kingoftherapids

jdelo77

It's a loaded field ! I think almost every horse has a shot !

jdelo77

August 23, 2017, 12:04:47 pm #3 Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 12:23:29 pm by jdelo77
Girvin ran a big one in the Haskell , can he do it again ? IRAP is very interesting as well ..

userpick

If you figure out who wins it, let me know. Baffert shipping one across the country is the logical play, but he's not on his best streak at the moment.

kingoftherapids

Quote from: userpick on August 23, 2017, 12:29:08 pm
If you figure out who wins it, let me know. Baffert shipping one across the country is the logical play, but he's not on his best streak at the moment.
it seemed like last year just about everything that came from the west coast was winning.  :)

userpick

Quote from: kingoftherapids on August 23, 2017, 03:40:54 pm
it seemed like last year just about everything that came from the west coast was winning.  :)

Haha and could very well happen again. At first glance, I'm gonna put some money on the longest shot in the field. Far outside post, Fayeq. The other must use for me is Irap.

HogFanInBryant

I think Lookin' At Lee comes flying late and finally gets his day in the sun!

ghostzapper

You'll get 30-1 if he does (and I hope he does for you).  I think it is a 3 horse race between Irap, West Coadt and Good Samaritan.

heavylifting

Got to wait to see what the odds are and then go with a price horse.

Remember, even Arrogate was 11-1 in this race last year.

Just looking back at past winners, I noted Golden Ticket (33-1), which dead heated with Alpha in 2012.

Does anyone know what ever happened to Golden Ticket's jockey, David Cohen? I think I remember him getting injured a few years back, but he seems to have dropped out of sight.

heavylifting

Here's a little Travers trivia question to stump your friends with --

Name the only current trainer to have won the Travers as a jockey. Two hints -- the year was 1974 and he's now training on the NYRA circuit. And he wasn't a regular rider in New York; he shipped in from New Jersey.

kingoftherapids

Quote from: heavylifting on August 24, 2017, 05:37:50 am
Here's a little Travers trivia question to stump your friends with --

Name the only current trainer to have won the Travers as a jockey. Two hints -- the year was 1974 and he's now training on the NYRA circuit. And he wasn't a regular rider in New York; he shipped in from New Jersey.

Michael Miceli... thanks to wikipedia :)

HogFanInBryant

Quote from: ghostzapper on August 23, 2017, 08:05:52 pm
You'll get 30-1 if he does (and I hope he does for you).  I think it is a 3 horse race between Irap, West Coadt and Good Samaritan.

I'd be a fool if I said I think LAL is the best horse in the race...but I honestly think it will set up for him and he will love the distance.  I really don't think A$$man would put him in the race unless he thought he had a good shot to light the board.  If he goes off over 20-1 I'm gonna play him $15W $15P $50S

ghostzapper

Quote from: HogFanInBryant on August 24, 2017, 09:10:30 pm
I'd be a fool if I said I think LAL is the best horse in the race...but I honestly think it will set up for him and he will love the distance.  I really don't think A$$man would put him in the race unless he thought he had a good shot to light the board.  If he goes off over 20-1 I'm gonna play him $15W $15P $50S

I think you'll get that.  Go for it and good luck!

heavylifting

This year's Travers is shaping up as one of the best ever.

The best ever? Got to be this one -- https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=1962+travers+stakes

jdelo77

No clue which way I'm leaning ...I like IRAP and Good Samaritan ...

kingoftherapids

West Coast and good samartin for me before the post parade

HawgWild

Quote from: kingoftherapids on August 25, 2017, 03:19:12 pm
West Coast and good samartin for me before the post parade

I'm leaning this way myself. Good Samaritan clearly loves this track and Mott thinks he has another Cigar.

jdelo77

Most everyone on TVG is on Good Samaritan , I'm waiting to see what a few of these guys pick as I follow the pretty closely ...I'm looking hard at IRAP

userpick

Porked Tongue

I'm going with:
$50W on#1 Cloud Computing
$30S on #8 Looking at Lee
$6 EX box 1, 8, Taprit

Porked Tongue

Quote from: Porked Tongue on August 26, 2017, 04:39:49 pm
I'm going with:
$50W on#1 Cloud Computing
$30S on #8 Looking at Lee
$6 EX box 1, 8, Taprit
Whiff

HogFanInBryant

LAL will never get my $ again, feel like a fool for not taking a closer look at Baffert/Smith in a grade 1, geez!

ghostzapper