Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Time to get serious and need some help...

Started by Dr. Starcs, July 18, 2013, 08:03:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Starcs

All right guys.

Really need to buckle down on losing some last bit of fat. Also want to build muscle at the same time. Yes I know this is the million dollar question.

I need help on some specific diets that could help me accomplish this and some specific workout routines.

Thanks in advance.

hvsupastar

Honestly I'd big one major goal: Lose the fat or build the muscle. Focus on that goal for 6-10 weeks (obviously the other goal will still benefit some) and when you achieve the results you want after the 6-10 weeks then work on your other goal.

On losing your last bit of fat, my advice is Meat and Vegatables for most meals. Mostly Chicken, fish, and turkey but honestly beef and pork are fine in moderation. Plan your meals and plan them based on meat n veggies, which will in turn cut out your carbs. And hydrate hydrate hydrate. If the low carb diet puts you in a workout slump you may look in to a stim fat burner. I would still lift 3-5 days a week but I would do cardio 4-6 days, alternating HIIT and long distance running. You may also look into some aiding supplements like green tea extract, CLA, sesamin, L-Carintine

As far as building muscle cycle I would keep my regular diet (assuming your eating clean), but dedicate to taking in protein shakes (whey, casein both). Lift heavy and keep a workout journal so you can see your improvents. You may look to finding a good preworkout, perhaps even some natural test boosters.

Good luck
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

HF#1

I just got P90X and what your wanting is exactly what it is designed to do.  Just sayin..
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

clutch

Quote from: HogFan#1 on July 19, 2013, 12:29:42 pm
I just got P90X and what your wanting is exactly what it is designed to do.  Just sayin..

Not exactly. They SAY that's what it is designed to do because that is everyone's desired workout routine. P90X is more geared towards trimming fat then building muscle. It's really hard to actually build much muscle doing body weight stuff. You have to get in the gym and lift heavy weights to do that.

HF#1

Quote from: clutch on July 19, 2013, 12:46:22 pm
Not exactly. They SAY that's what it is designed to do because that is everyone's desired workout routine. P90X is more geared towards trimming fat then building muscle. It's really hard to actually build much muscle doing body weight stuff. You have to get in the gym and lift heavy weights to do that.

I suppose it depends on how much muscle you desire to have.  Different strokes
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: clutch on July 19, 2013, 12:46:22 pm

Olympic gymnasts say hi.

Sorry man couldn't resist.  :)
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

clutch

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on July 19, 2013, 03:34:56 pm
Olympic gymnasts say hi.

Sorry man couldn't resist.  :)

Those people aren't normal. Normal people can't do that stuff.

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: clutch on July 19, 2013, 04:00:42 pm
Those people aren't normal. Normal people can't do that stuff.

So what are they aliens then?  :D

Just kidding man I know I am just jacking with ya.

In all actuality you can put on a decent amount of muscle with BW type exercises but they have to be either extremely high tension, and thus very hard, like what you see gymnasts doing or you have to add a weighted vest or some kind of external weight which isn't really "bodyweight" and do heavy pull-ups, dips, handstand pushups, one leg squats, etc. but that's really not a whole lot different from lifting weights in the gym really if you think about.

As far as doing a whole bunch of pushups, BW squats, etc. without external weight yeah I agree you can get in shape and build up quit a bit of muscular endurance but significant strength and muscle gains will be hard to come by on such a program.

Oh and also I've tried P90x and I found it lacking. You can achieve the same results in the gym with less time dedicated if you know what you're doing and get your diet on point. IMO the money for P90x would better spent on a consultation with a dietician but I know some people love it and at it's at least better than doing nothing.

clutch

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on July 19, 2013, 11:42:02 pm
So what are they aliens then?  :D

Just kidding man I know I am just jacking with ya.

In all actuality you can put on a decent amount of muscle with BW type exercises but they have to be either extremely high tension, and thus very hard, like what you see gymnasts doing or you have to add a weighted vest or some kind of external weight which isn't really "bodyweight" and do heavy pull-ups, dips, handstand pushups, one leg squats, etc. but that's really not a whole lot different from lifting weights in the gym really if you think about.

As far as doing a whole bunch of pushups, BW squats, etc. without external weight yeah I agree you can get in shape and build up quit a bit of muscular endurance but significant strength and muscle gains will be hard to come by on such a program.

Oh and also I've tried P90x and I found it lacking. You can achieve the same results in the gym with less time dedicated if you know what you're doing and get your diet on point. IMO the money for P90x would better spent on a consultation with a dietician but I know some people love it and at it's at least better than doing nothing.

Yes. They are aliens for sure because they can't be human.

I agree with you on every other point you made. I don't really consider all the weighted vest type stuff body weight exercises. I was more talking along the lines of what you will see in your basic P90x type program. Your basic pull ups, dips, pushups, etc.

You will get in shape, but you won't see the results they are promising on their commercials. They make their money by convincing people that they are going to lose all their fat, while putting on insane amounts of muscle and that's just not true. Not in 90 days.

I'm with you 100% on on spending the money elsewhere. The cost of P90x will pretty much cover a full years worth of gym memberships.

I'm not completely down on P90x though. It's a pretty good program for people looking to slim down who may not be able to dedicate the time to a gym because of things such as travel. I hear a lot of people using it though because they say they don't have time to go to the gym. In all reality, it takes so long that you could have driven to the gym, worked out, and been home by the time it was done.

I completed the program once. I toned up a little and became a pullup machine, but other than that I didn't get anything that I couldn't do better in a gym. 

immahog

p90x is more about the mind you have to go into it with the right mind set. its a character builder for sure
No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: immahog on July 29, 2013, 08:38:14 am
p90x is more about the mind you have to go into it with the right mind set. its a character builder for sure

No offense but I don't work out to build character I workout for results and in the most efficient way I can.

P90x IMO isn't the most efficient way but like I said its definitely better than doing nothing and I applaud anyone that is at least exercising in some way.

I think it is valuable in that sense in that it gets people active who might not be otherwise but my hope is that once they become active they'll begin to explore and try other programs and training methodologies and not just stay stuck on P90x.

clutch

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on July 30, 2013, 01:54:31 pm
No offense but I don't work out to build character I workout for results and in the most efficient way I can.

P90x IMO isn't the most efficient way but like I said its definitely better than doing nothing and I applaud anyone that is at least exercising in some way.

I think it is valuable in that sense in that it gets people active who might not be otherwise but my hope is that once they become active they'll begin to explore and try other programs and training methodologies and not just stay stuck on P90x.

I agree. I like the fact that it get's people who normally wouldn't workout to do so because they don't have to do it in a gym in front of other people. The first step is getting started, once they start seeing result then maybe they will take the next step.

H&D

Quote from: HogFan#1 on July 19, 2013, 12:29:42 pm

Watch the one leg cross hops on the Plyo day, if you have a bad wheel avoid doing that all together.  I'm missing half of my meniscus in my right knee and that cross hop crap put me out of the game a couple of times.

Like Hogsmo said, there are better ways to get results, especially with the amount of time you spend doing P90x.....but it's better than sitting on the couch.   
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"