Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

St. Thomas

Started by Jackrabbit Hog, April 04, 2017, 07:11:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Jackrabbit Hog

The wife booked a short (4 days) trip to St. Thomas in May.  I've never been there before.  Aside from getting sunburned on the beach and stung by jellyfish in the water, is there anything in particular that we need to make sure we do?  Sights?  Activities?
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

jabberjawls

Yes, for sure go visit St. John.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: jabberjawls on April 04, 2017, 03:33:35 pm
Yes, for sure go visit St. John.
Took the words right out of my mouth. A fairly short ferry ride/water taxi across the bay from St. Thomas. Much of the island is owned by the National Park Service for helping house a bird sanctuary and has therefore been left pretty much undeveloped. If you can take a half day (or more) you can rent a car and drive around the island. IMO some of the best money you can spend. Don't miss Cruz Bay which is terrific for swimming and snorkeling.

There's a little town down the road from an estate known as Caneel Bay (originally owned by the Rockefeller family), an old sugar plantation that has been converted into a very high end resort, called Mongoose Junction that's kind of touristy, but quaint as well.  Very laid back attitude there.

Another option would be to take a boat trip out to the British Virgin Island of Virgin Gorda. Again, some great swimming and some need grottoes near one of the beaches.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 04, 2017, 07:11:18 am
The wife booked a short (4 days) trip to St. Thomas in May.  I've never been there before.  Aside from getting sunburned on the beach and stung by jellyfish in the water, is there anything in particular that we need to make sure we do?  Sights?  Activities?
It's been quite some time since I was there and so perhaps (hopefully) this particular situation has been dealt with. However, at one time there was a problem with some tourists being robbed and drugs being far too easily available. As I said, it's been a few years since I was there; perhaps the issues have been taken care of.

sowmonella

Trunk Bay on St Johns is perfection.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: sowmonella on April 05, 2017, 10:55:04 pm
Trunk Bay on St Johns is perfection.
Great addition. Thanks for reminding me....ah the memories....

Atlhogfan1

Have stayed at Caneel twice and both visits in May.  Last time it rained some.  Trunk Bay appears in rankings of the world's most beautiful beaches.  Mongoose Junction is a good laid back place to have beers and lunch or dinner.  You can rent a Jeep too and explore the island.  Lots of trails but can of course be hot and humid if you are wanting to hike.  Can't tell you much about St Thomas.  Only time spent there was from and to airport and at the waterfront waiting on resort's boat.  Did find a hole in the wall bar there with good fish tacos.  The cruise ships dock not too far from there and of course there are all kinds of shops and restaurants around it.  People go on the ferry from St John to St Thomas to shop.  Not sure of the schedule but it runs multiple times a day because a lot of the workers on St John live on St Thomas.  I would be very mindful of my surroundings and wouldn't venture too far away from the tourist areas just like many places in the Caribbean.  The VI's are beautiful. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 06, 2017, 04:11:05 pm
Have stayed at Caneel twice and both visits in May.  Last time it rained some.  Trunk Bay appears in rankings of the world's most beautiful beaches.  Mongoose Junction is a good laid back place to have beers and lunch or dinner.  You can rent a Jeep too and explore the island.  Lots of trails but can of course be hot and humid if you are wanting to hike.  Can't tell you much about St Thomas.  Only time spent there was from and to airport and at the waterfront waiting on resort's boat.  Did find a hole in the wall bar there with good fish tacos.  The cruise ships dock not too far from there and of course there are all kinds of shops and restaurants around it.  People go on the ferry from St John to St Thomas to shop.  Not sure of the schedule but it runs multiple times a day because a lot of the workers on St John live on St Thomas.  I would be very mindful of my surroundings and wouldn't venture too far away from the tourist areas just like many places in the Caribbean.  The VI's are beautiful.
Interesting that you've been to Caneel a couple of times; so have I. Always enjoyed my stay. And while for some it might seem a little pricey, my trips were a total delight. Spent a lot of time just cruisin' the island by Jeep; sipped some brews at Mongoose (along with chowin' down on some great food) and just totally "vegged". Just curious: did you have a chance to get over to Virgin Gorda or any of the other BVIs ??? A total delight.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on April 06, 2017, 04:48:46 pm
Interesting that you've been to Caneel a couple of times; so have I. Always enjoyed my stay. And while for some it might seem a little pricey, my trips were a total delight. Spent a lot of time just cruisin' the island by Jeep; sipped some brews at Mongoose (along with chowin' down on some great food) and just totally "vegged". Just curious: did you have a chance to get over to Virgin Gorda or any of the other BVIs ??? A total delight.

Not yet. Plan to next time. Spent too much time relaxing at caneel on hawksnest.

Caneel is worth it imo.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

jabberjawls

Is it too late to change your hotel reservations to St. John?  That is definitely where I would stay if you have a choice.

ricepig

You should have given me a shout, I would have let you use my yacht to my house on St. Barts.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: ricepig on April 07, 2017, 02:36:21 pm
You should have given me a shout, I would have let you use my yacht to my house on St. Barts.

Interesting that you used MY vacation villa and are trying to pass it off as your own  :P

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 06, 2017, 08:29:39 pm
Not yet. Plan to next time. Spent too much time relaxing at caneel on hawksnest.

Caneel is worth it imo.
Absolutely no doubt. If I were still young and in the shape I was when I made my other trips down there I would go back in a heartbeat/New York second  8) :) ;) :D ;D :P

bennyl08

Quote from: ricepig on April 07, 2017, 02:36:21 pm

Wow, take a look at those clouds!

First guess is probably an atmospheric wave as that is a good way to get just a line of clouds like that.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Jackrabbit Hog

Well, we are here and loving it.  Our resort is fantastic and we've been to some superb beaches (Magan Bay, Coki Beach, Linquist Beach).  Snorkeled with a family of turtles today.  Thursday we are taking the ferry to St. John and spending the day beach hopping there.  Exceeding my expectations so far.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

jabberjawls

If St. Thomas exceeded your expectations, then you will love St. John.  Hawksnest, Gibney/Oppenheimer, Trunk, Cinnamon, Maho, Annaberg ruins.  If you have time and want a really good snorkel, try waterlemon cay.

McKdaddy

Quote from: jabberjawls on May 17, 2017, 02:32:01 pm
If St. Thomas exceeded your expectations, then you will love St. John.

Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

ATU HOG

Any updates?  Trying to book a vacation late in the summer for the girlfriend and myself.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ATU HOG on May 18, 2017, 05:44:18 pm
Any updates?  Trying to book a vacation late in the summer for the girlfriend and myself.

We got home late Saturday night.  Unbelievable trip; I would highly recommend it to anyone who likes tropical climates, beautiful beaches and great snorkeling.  The day we spent on St. John was the best, as everyone else predicted.  We hit several beaches on the north shore and drove to Coral Bay late in the day.  Views everywhere.

Our accommodations on St. Thomas were first class all the way.  Meals were all good, weather was nice the entire week. 

We are already planning our trip back there next summer.

HighcountryHog

If you have time and want a really good snorkel, try waterlemon cay.

^This.
no bumps, no fat chicks

Jackrabbit Hog

If St. Thomas exceeded your expectations, then you will love St. John.  Hawksnest, Gibney/Oppenheimer, Trunk, Cinnamon, Maho, Annaberg ruins.  If you have time and want a really good snorkel, try waterlemon cay.

We ended up spending time at Leinster Bay (which is near Watermelon Cay), Maho Bay and Cinnamon Bay.  Snorkeled each place.  We stopped and took pictures at Trunk Bay and Hawksnest Bay, just didn't have time to spend beach time at those two. 

ur

Been twice. St Thomas beaches and the nice resorts are good but the rest of the island seemed sketchy. Second time we stayed on st john and that is what I recommend. woodys (one of Kenny Chesney's fav bars where he filmed part of this video) and the beach bar in cruz bay are awesome. Woodys has $1 coors light specials.  highly recommend an excursion to the BVIs. We did the one where you make like 4 stops. If you get motion sickness would not recommend it. it can be a bumpy long ride. Try to at least hit the soggy dollar bar on jost van dyke though. We put up a razorback flag when we were there. too bad they take them all down every year. flag is on far right in last pic. 

ricepig

Quote from: ur on July 22, 2017, 10:10:05 am
Been twice. St Thomas beaches and the nice resorts are good but the rest of the island seemed sketchy. Second time we stayed on st john and that is what I recommend. woodys (one of Kenny Chesney's fav bars where he filmed part of this video) and the beach bar in cruz bay are awesome. Woodys has $1 coors light specials.  highly recommend an excursion to the BVIs. We did the one where you make like 4 stops. If you get motion sickness would not recommend it. it can be a bumpy long ride. Try to at least hit the soggy dollar bar on jost van dyke though. We put up a razorback flag when we were there. too bad they take them all down every year. flag is on far right in last pic. 

So, water was a $1??

McKdaddy

Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Jackrabbit Hog

We need to hear from ricepig whether his mansion on St. Thomas survived Irma. 

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on September 07, 2017, 10:06:17 am
We need to hear from ricepig whether his mansion on St. Thomas survived Irma. 

Wildhog

What resort did you stay at, J'rabb?
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Wildhog on September 07, 2017, 11:24:57 am
What resort did you stay at, J'rabb?

Frenchman's Cove for 5 nights; Frenchman's Reef (adjacent) for the last night.  Both Marriott properties.

Wildhog

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on September 07, 2017, 12:16:01 pm
Frenchman's Cove for 5 nights; Frenchman's Reef (adjacent) for the last night.  Both Marriott properties.

I'm looking at both of those places for next summer.  Which one did you prefer?
1909/1964/1965/1977

Jackrabbit Hog

September 07, 2017, 01:24:25 pm #29 Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 01:47:02 pm by Jackrabbit Hog
Quote from: Wildhog on September 07, 2017, 12:19:57 pm
I'm looking at both of those places for next summer.  Which one did you prefer?

Both are excellent.  Frenchman's Cove is a condo development.  It has a nice pool and all the amenities you'd expect, but only a relatively small beach area that's nothing special.  BUT, if you stay at Frenchman's Cove, I believe you have access to the pools, beaches, etc. at Frenchman's Reef, which is a hotel (5*).  We got upgraded to the Presidential Suite for the one night we were there, and my wife was wishing we had stayed there all 6 nights, but that would have been cost prohibitive.  But Frenchman's Reef is at the point of a peninsula so you have ocean on 3 sides, a very long, very nice beach called Morningstar with decent snorkeling, and nice pools nd restaurants.  I guess I'd recommend Frenchman's Reef because you are right there with the best amenities, whereas you have to walk or drive the 200 or so yards from the Cove to the Reef for those things if you stay at Frenchman's Cove. 

If y'all do decide to go for sure, let me know and I'll share with you the best sights and places to go.  We are planning on going back next year ourselves, probably in May.

I'm posting a photo that was taken on the way back to St. Thomas from a catamaran trip we took.  The 3-4 story buildings to the left are Frenchman's Cove.  The taller building to the right and the one just to the left of it are Frenchman's Reef.

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on September 07, 2017, 01:24:25 pm
Both are excellent.  Frenchman's Cove is a condo development.  It has a nice pool and all the amenities you'd expect, but only a relatively small beach area that's nothing special.  BUT, if you stay at Frenchman's Cove, I believe you have access to the pools, beaches, etc. at Frenchman's Reef, which is a hotel (5*).  We got upgraded to the Presidential Suite for the one night we were there, and my wife was wishing we had stayed there all 6 nights, but that would have been cost prohibitive.  But Frenchman's Reef is at the point of a peninsula so you have ocean on 3 sides, a very long, very nice beach called Morningstar with decent snorkeling, and nice pools nd restaurants.  I guess I'd recommend Frenchman's Reef because you are right there with the best amenities, whereas you have to walk or drive the 200 or so yards from the Cove to the Reef for those things if you stay at Frenchman's Cove. 

If y'all do decide to go for sure, let me know and I'll share with you the best sights and places to go.  We are planning on going back next year ourselves, probably in May.

I'm posting a photo that was taken on the way back to St. Thomas from a catamaran trip we took.  The 3-4 story buildings to the left are Frenchman's Cove.  The taller building to the right and the one just to the left of it are Frenchman's Reef.

Dang, that white house up on the cliff is mine. Next time you go I'll rent it to you for $3000/week. Just send me the cash in unmarked bills and it's yours. Don't worry if the staff acts like you are trespassing, just give them a couple $100 each and they won't care.

Wildhog

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on September 07, 2017, 01:24:25 pm

There's a chance we go to Atlantis in the Bahamas, but right now it's looking like St. Thomas.  I think we're going in July.
1909/1964/1965/1977