Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Redbird Rundown XI

Started by clutch, February 20, 2017, 06:25:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

clutch

Figured it was time to get the new one started. Excited to get the new season underway.

McKdaddy

Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

HogCard

Hope cox changes the channel lineup by opening day. In nwa

McKdaddy

One of my fav things to do each night after work is to turn on FSMW and let the Cards game fill my living room.

TrueBlue

March 06, 2017, 10:43:48 am #4 Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 08:26:00 pm by TrueBlue
Just returned from a 10 day trip to Jupiter. As far as "hopeful new contributors", the most pleasant surprise to me is how Jose Martinez and Harrison Bader are hitting the ball. Nice to see a little power from those two.

Gyorko, Diaz, and Kelly have looked good hitting as well. Still waiting on Fowler to show a little presence at the plate.

As far as pitchers are concerned, I know that Sandy Alcantara is still a couple of years away from the big league, but this guy has the "it" factor. He is still very rough around the corners, but he has some juice on his pitches. Also, now that Sam Tuivailala has went back to his curve, I am expecting to see him in St. Louis on a regular basis this year. So far, Tuivailala has ten strikeouts in four innings.

Other news: Randal Grichuk has to be the most approachable and humble player I have ever seen in Spring Ball (like to see 30 HR this year out of him!) and it is very strange not see to see Matt Holiday with the team.

WMHawgfan

Thanks for the pics. I have had the opportunity to see them in Jupiter a few times and it is just a great experience. Such a laid back relaxing atmosphere at spring training games. Great way to spend a vacation down in South Florida before the temps get too hot.

jrulz83

Is Molina going to be worth the supposed $55 to $65 million over three years?
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

Dropkick

Quote from: jrulz83 on March 31, 2017, 08:55:52 am
It's risky but he looked awful good last year.

clutch

Quote from: jrulz83 on March 31, 2017, 08:55:52 am

I think so. He looked pretty good last year, and I thought he looked even better during the WBC. It looks like he has gained some of his power back. I think he will maintain his value over 3 years. I would have been skeptical if they would have given him anything over 3 years though.

jrulz83

Quote from: clutch on April 01, 2017, 11:26:52 am
I think so. He looked pretty good last year, and I thought he looked even better during the WBC. It looks like he has gained some of his power back. I think he will maintain his value over 3 years. I would have been skeptical if they would have given him anything over 3 years though.

I mostly agree, Molina represents so much of what this era of Cardinals baseball has been. He needs to retire a Cardinal. I need to see the final structure of the contract before I can really tell how I'll feel about it. I'm assuming it will be somewhat front loaded.

jrulz83

Quote from: Dropkick on March 31, 2017, 11:36:52 am
It's risky but he looked awful good last year.

His defense faltered quite a bit last year, I'm hoping he turns that around. Can't argue with the way his bat played though.

McKdaddy

Sentimentally I'm glad it appears he'll retire a Card, but not sure how I feel about it when removing the emotions. Same feeling about Pujols 5+ years ago.

McKdaddy

pigture perfect

I think Yadi is worth paying. He is a well respected mentor to our young guys.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

pigture perfect

I hate Heyward. Down to the last out and blow it.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

jrulz83

The good new is the Cubs are in last place. The bad news is..... who cares about bad news after that first sentence?

Martinez pitched a heck of a game. It was lost in the Lester/Schwarber slobberfest of a broadcast. Wong had a big walk and Grichuk came through with good ABs twice. That's two things I've been wanting to see. I'm pleased with those aspects, other things not so much.

But 162- 0 here we come

popcornhog

The top of the 9th scared the hell out of me with a couple of bad mistakes and we gotta be bettter with RISP, but I'll take an opening night victory!

Good prevails over evil!
WPS

McKdaddy

I fell asleep in my chair after the bottom of the 8th, when the score was 3-0.  I awoke as Grichuk was coming to bat in the bottom of the 9th, now 3-3.  I'm pissed, thinking WTH happened?!?  Awoke at just the right time. 

jrulz83

Piscotty supposedly has signed an extension, reportedly 6 years $33.5 million total value. Seems like a good deal.

Dropkick

Quote from: jrulz83 on April 03, 2017, 10:52:13 am
Piscotty supposedly has signed an extension, reportedly 6 years $33.5 million total value. Seems like a good deal.
I think that will end up being a bargain.

jrulz83

Quote from: Dropkick on April 03, 2017, 11:36:11 am
I think that will end up being a bargain.

I think it will too. When you look at what teams are paying these days $5 million+ per is a pretty good deal for an everyday corner outfielder. Especially if Piscotty lives up to the potential he has shown.

hoghappy

Yeah, that Piscotti deal is pretty solid.

clutch

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 02, 2017, 09:32:31 pm
I think Yadi is worth paying. He is a well respected mentor to our young guys.

Agreed. Even if he does fall off some at the end, he is worth having around to mentor the next catcher.

I don't think he was completely healthy last year. He looked off. He looked really good in the WBC and looked good last night. I think his power is going to pick back up a little bit.

pigture perfect

The good news is that the Cards have a 1 game lead in the NL central after the first full day. They are in first place all by themselves.

pigture perfect

It's pretty funny how many Cubs used to be Cardinals. 3 in today's starting lineup.

pigture perfect

What a terrible weekend. Cards and Hogs lose 2 of 3 to inferior teams. But that's baseball.

WMHawgfan

Its early and I know things can change but this has the feel of being a very down year for the cards. Hopefully I am wrong.

McKdaddy

Quote from: WMHawgfan on April 11, 2017, 02:57:00 pm
Its early and I know things can change but this has the feel of being a very down year for the cards. Hopefully I am wrong.

Agreed. Silver lining: last 2-5 start was 2011. Fwiw.

jrulz83

Come on guys, it's one bad week. Relax a little, the MLB season is 162 games for a reason. Let's see where we are come May before we worry.

pigture perfect

I'm not worried, just a bit disappointed in that we couldn't take game 3 from the Cubs and that Leake pitched well enough to win against the Reds.

jrulz83

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 11, 2017, 07:43:50 pm
I'm not worried, just a bit disappointed in that we couldn't take game 3 from the Cubs and that Leake pitched well enough to win against the Reds.

I don't disagree with you. It's been a tough run to start the season. The bullpen and much ballyhooed "improved" defense have been atrocious. The offense has been missing and the second turn through the rotation isn't off to a good start.

Pretty much everything is going wrong right now. That doesn't mean the Cardinals will be sellers at the deadline. All I'm saying is there's a long way to go yet.

pigture perfect

Nothing really good to talk about is there?

RaisinHog

What are y'alls thoughts on matheney

McKdaddy

TomasPistola

Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

pigture perfect

Getting Yank Spanked again.

jrulz83

Rough start, but long way to go yet. I can't recall a Cardinals team that looked this inept in all phases of the game to start a season. They'll get better though, all these hitters aren't hitting .158 all season.

pigture perfect

I agree, we will get better. It's just not natural to see the Reds where we usually are and us where the Cubs usually hang out. 😎 Hey,     gotta smack talk a little, right?

Dropkick

To put the slow start in perspective. Everyone was ready to pencil the Cubs back in the World Series and they are only 6-6 after 12 games.

Cardinals have too much talent to continue at this pace.

jrulz83

Much needed win tonight. Still need the bats to wake up, but Fowler had a couple hard outs. That gives me hope that he is turning it around.

clutch

Quote from: RaisinHog on April 16, 2017, 10:24:58 am
What are y'alls thoughts on matheney

My thoughts are that him and Mo don't mix. They have two different philosophies and aren't ever on the same page. The team Mo is trying to build is built around young guys and good defense. It doesn't involve Matt Adams in left field, or even on the field for that matter. Matheny believes too much in the veteran power bat, although I'm still not real sure why he thinks Adams is a power guy. He plays experience over youth though if he has the chance. He needs to get Martinez in the lineup somewhere, thinking he could play a lot of 1B. He's hit all spring and in all his opportunities this season.

I'd like to see a and infield of Martinez, Wong/Gyorko, Diaz, Carpenter. Outfield, Piscotty, Fowler, and Grichuk.

I also think he might be the cause for some of Wongs struggles. I think he is used in a way that it's hard for him to ever really get going. He didn't have a chance to find "it" last year. If his bats even close to decent, he needs to play. He provides a big plus defensively over Gyorko and he provides speed which this team lacked last season badly. 35 steals as a team last year. That's ridiculous.

RaisinHog

Quote from: clutch on April 18, 2017, 10:57:22 am
My thoughts are that him and Mo don't mix. They have two different philosophies and aren't ever on the same page. The team Mo is trying to build is built around young guys and good defense. It doesn't involve Matt Adams in left field, or even on the field for that matter. Matheny believes too much in the veteran power bat, although I'm still not real sure why he thinks Adams is a power guy. He plays experience over youth though if he has the chance. He needs to get Martinez in the lineup somewhere, thinking he could play a lot of 1B. He's hit all spring and in all his opportunities this season.

I'd like to see a and infield of Martinez, Wong/Gyorko, Diaz, Carpenter. Outfield, Piscotty, Fowler, and Grichuk.

I also think he might be the cause for some of Wongs struggles. I think he is used in a way that it's hard for him to ever really get going. He didn't have a chance to find "it" last year. If his bats even close to decent, he needs to play. He provides a big plus defensively over Gyorko and he provides speed which this team lacked last season badly. 35 steals as a team last year. That's ridiculous.

Agree .. I hate all the lefty righty match up crap .. when it comes to who plays .. I also don't like his management of the pitchers always leaving guys too long or sticking with guys forever that sucks

pigture perfect

2 in a row. Still need to score more.

jrulz83

The Cardinals win a series! The Cardinals win a series! The Cardinals win a series!

Offense is still terrible. With the way Martinez is swinging (7-15, six game hitting streak) it seems to me like Carpenter ought to move back to third base, at least temporarily.

The bright spots of this team so far have been Bowman, Rosenthal, Leake, and J. Martinez.

Oh really needs to figure out his problems or I'm going to start calling him Glass Joe instead of The Final Boss.

TomasPistola

Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

pigture perfect

1st sweep of the year baby. Still ugly, but who's complaining. Our bottom 3 starters match up well against any in the league. Those will be our strengths this year if we stay healthy.

jrulz83

I'd rather win ugly than lose pretty.

Good to see Fowler drive the ball, and the Wachassaince continue.

clutch

What did we score? 6 Runs total and win the series? That's some good pitching

clutch

Quote from: jrulz83 on April 19, 2017, 07:38:30 am
The Cardinals win a series! The Cardinals win a series! The Cardinals win a series!

Offense is still terrible. With the way Martinez is swinging (7-15, six game hitting streak) it seems to me like Carpenter ought to move back to third base, at least temporarily.

The bright spots of this team so far have been Bowman, Rosenthal, Leake, and J. Martinez.

Oh really needs to figure out his problems or I'm going to start calling him Glass Joe instead of The Final Boss.

I've been wanting to see Carp at 3rd and Martinez at 1st all year as an everyday infield.

jrulz83

Quote from: clutch on April 20, 2017, 01:33:22 pm
I've been wanting to see Carp at 3rd and Martinez at 1st all year as an everyday infield.

Peralta had a great spring, I was hopeful for a good start and solid season from him. It hasn't materialized though. it's time to try something different, heck give Garcia a shot.