Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Diamante sold

Started by GolfNut57, December 30, 2017, 12:35:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GolfNut57

According to a article in todays paper Club Corp. and Cooper Industries sold the course to a group that is owned by Diamante property owners. As part of the deal, a 3 year contract has been signed with Kemper Sports to manage the club and golf operations.

Too bad it won't lead to being opened up to the general public. That is a course I've always wanted (pardon the pun) a shot at.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Dillar Dog

You're not missing much.

I don't understand how it gets ranked where it does.

cc

Quote from: Dillar Dog on December 30, 2017, 01:00:33 am
You're not missing much.

I have always been told that at least 3 other courses in the Village are better tracks.  But, I have never seen Diamante, so I do not know. 

FrJoseph

Quote from: cc on December 30, 2017, 08:46:10 pm
I have always been told that at least 3 other courses in the Village are better tracks.  But, I have never seen Diamante, so I do not know.

I have played the HSV courses and Diamanté a good bit, although sparingly in the last 4 years. Diamanté plays very long, the main thing that makes it really good are the zoysia fairways and the fact that it doesn't get as much play so the greens are not as marked up. Grenada, Ponce, and Cortez are all better layouts, IMO.

Fr Joe
You made us for yourself oh God, and are hearts are restless until they rest in you.

ricepig

You're not missing much.

Like most courses having a money problem, the course, especially the bunkers, were much below their normal standards this summer. I talked to a relative, who lives in HSV   yesterday at a family function and he said it will immensely help the course and real estate with the new ownership group. I like the track, but several in the village are good.

Dillar Dog

The bunkers have always been a problem.

Have a couple of guys go out and pick the rocks out of them.  That's not that hard.

ricepig

I wasn't rocks, but maybe you can ask if they're hiring.....

Dillar Dog

There have always been rocks in them.

I have a job at a better course.

FrJoseph

Quote from: ricepig on December 31, 2017, 10:21:35 am
Like most courses having a money problem, the course, especially the bunkers, were much below their normal standards this summer. I talked to a relative, who lives in HSV   yesterday at a family function and he said it will immensely help the course and real estate with the new ownership group. I like the track, but several in the village are good.

It is my understanding that the whole Golf department has undergone a pretty dramatic change. Ray Metz from Troon is no longer director of golf for HSV and the head pro is now in his job. I hear they have hired a new agronomist as well. I haven't been back there to play since my dad died. I hope to get back there late next summer Or early fall. All of the course there are very good, but could be 5 Star with just a little TLC.

Fr Joe
You made us for yourself oh God, and are hearts are restless until they rest in you.

ricepig

Quote from: FrJoseph on December 31, 2017, 01:35:34 pm
It is my understanding that the whole Golf department has undergone a pretty dramatic change. Ray Metz from Troon is no longer director of golf for HSV and the head pro is now in his job. I hear they have hired a new agronomist as well. I haven't been back there to play since my dad died. I hope to get back there late next summer Or early fall. All of the course there are very good, but could be 5 Star with just a little TLC.

Fr Joe

My relative told me yesterday that they hired a new greenskeeper this year for all the courses and that they were in the best shape they had been in since he moved there 5 years ago. There were several members not paying dude at Diamante and they worked out a deal where about 40 something members out up $40k or so to buy the course. The new deal will allow current real estate owners to sell their house after a 3 year without the new owner being required to pay the $500/month to the club. He said an agent told him they hadn't sold a piece of property at Diamante in 5 years. I'm just repeating what he told me.

ricepig

Quote from: Dillar Dog on December 31, 2017, 12:54:34 pm
There have always been rocks in them.

I have a job at a better course.

Cool, he just said they weren't maintaining them after rains, didn't mention any rocks.

ocsm158

Quote from: ricepig on December 31, 2017, 02:01:06 pm
Cool, he just said they weren't maintaining them after rains, didn't mention any rocks.

I have lived in HSV for almost 7 years now and have been playing here since the late 90s. In all that time the major drawback to the village courses is the bunkers. They are full of rocks and do not drain after rains. Cortez reworked their bunkers a couple of years ago and now they are the best in the village. Hopefully the new leadership will do the same for the other courses.

I am a social member at Diamante for dining only but get to play the course the last Wednesday of the month. It is a long track but the fairways are flawless. My only complaints about it are the bunkers and there are several holes that are blind shots. The new owners said in a meeting just before the deal was final that their top priority was getting the bunkers in good shape and the deal with Kemper will help greatly.

kingofdequeen

i like the bar there. 

PonderinHog

Quote from: kingofdequeen on January 02, 2018, 09:55:41 am
i like the bar there.
I thought you were supposed to avoid bunkers.

Lao Tsuie

The members who wanted in paid $10K. The $40K is for the lifetime membership.

Lao Tsuie

The bunkers haven't been fixed in 4-5 years. Thats how long the lawsuit to break the tie in has been going on. Club Corp cut the maintenance money to Diamante to pay their lawyers.
Hopefully the course can be restored to its old self now that CC is out.

Lao Tsuie

I know I could have put that in the previous post but I have to hurry if I'm going to catch Ponderin' and I'm not that young anymore.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Lao Tsuie on January 03, 2018, 01:37:38 pm
I know I could have put that in the previous post but I have to hurry if I'm going to catch Ponderin' and I'm not that young anymore.
Aim higher!  Think Delta and JBCarol!   :D

Lao Tsuie

Haha, I'd have to come back as a Korean to do that!

ricepig

Quote from: Lao Tsuie on January 03, 2018, 01:37:38 pm

Ponderin does post too much.

userpick

You're not missing much.

What do you know about nice courses?

Lao Tsuie

I really like windmills so, if it has a windmill on it Im all in.

Lao Tsuie

Timing is everything or so they say.

Lao Tsuie

DD, wait until it gets restored. Back in the buy.com and Nationwide days players like Casey Martin and Zack Johnson said it was the best course they played on.
It's went to sheet under the lawsuit.
They just let the bunkers go and the greens cutter machine leave oil spots it's in such disrepair.

Ponce is my favorite next to Diamante. I disagree that Magellen is even in that class. Third would be Desoda (spelling) or Isabella or the newest one, name escapes me.
By far the "D" is the premier course in HSV. Not. Even.Close.

Lao Tsuie

Ponderin' is feverishly typing away.

I'm coming for you hahaha.

ocsm158

Quote from: Lao Tsuie on January 03, 2018, 03:05:51 pm
DD, wait until it gets restored. Back in the buy.com and Nationwide days players like Casey Martin and Zack Johnson said it was the best course they played on.
It's went to sheet under the lawsuit.
They just let the bunkers go and the greens cutter machine leave oil spots it's in such disrepair.

Ponce is my favorite next to Diamante. I disagree that Magellen is even in that class. Third would be Desoda (spelling) or Isabella or the newest one, name escapes me.
By far the "D" is the premier course in HSV. Not. Even.Close.

You can't even remember the name of the newest course in HSV and can't spell Desoto? Granada, the newest course, is by far the best. NOT. EVEN. CLOSE.

Lao Tsuie

Quote from: ocsm158 on January 03, 2018, 08:07:36 pm
You can't even remember the name of the newest course in HSV and can't spell Desoto? Granada, the newest course, is by far the best. NOT. EVEN. CLOSE.

It's nice, agree! Granada thank you. No Diamante but really nice. Desoto, Yeah. Trust me, my spellin gets way worse than that, way worser.

Lao Tsuie

It's frustrating to me too, as many degrees I have and all the stuff I've done.

Dillar Dog

Quote from: ocsm158 on January 03, 2018, 08:07:36 pm

I agree with this.  Isabella and granada are the 2 best.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: cc on December 30, 2017, 08:46:10 pm
I've played all of them extensively and don't have a problem with ranking Diamante #1. The greens usually putt better than anywhere, and the fairways are zoysia. It's also a long, modern track. It plays long from any tee box. Yes, back tees can be 7500 yards, but even from the white tees it's 6400 yards.

Is Diamante much better than the POA courses? Not at all. But it may be a 'smidge' better.

Can't go wrong with any of them, though. HSV is paradise if you're a golfer.

GolfNut57

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on January 04, 2018, 05:39:33 pm
I've played all of them extensively and don't have a problem with ranking Diamante #1. The greens usually putt better than anywhere, and the fairways are zoysia. It's also a long, modern track. It plays long from any tee box. Yes, back tees can be 7500 yards, but even from the white tees it's 6400 yards.

Is Diamante much better than the POA courses? Not at all. But it may be a 'smidge' better.

Can't go wrong with any of them, though. HSV is paradise if you're a golfer.

How long is it from the Sr. Tees? Or is that the white ones?
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

ocsm158

I would consider the green tees as the senior tees, at least that is where I play from when playing there and I am definitely a senior. Here are the yardages and slope ratings from the tee boxes.

Gold           72   7560 yards   76.5   140
Blue           72   6935 yards   73.6   131
White   72   6472 yards   71.5   126
Green   72   6164 yards   70.1   123
Green (W)   72   6164 yards   75.8   138
Silver (W)   72   5604 yards   72.6   132
Silver   72   5604 yards   67.6   118
Red           72   5322 yards   66.2   115
Red (W)   72   5322 yards   71.1   129
Teal (W)   72   4602 yards   67.4   121

The W yardages are the combos if you decide to play those.

GolfNut57

SEVEN sets of ties? Who are the red and teal tees for?

ocsm158

Ladies and really old ladies ;) ;) ;)

GolfNut57

Quote from: ocsm158 on January 05, 2018, 08:05:10 am
Ladies and really old ladies ;) ;) ;)

I thought that was what the Green (W) and Silver (W) were for. So in effect, the ladies have their own set of four tees at Diamante. And the men have three of those four plus three more for a total of six to choose from.

With your previous post I assume the Silver at par 72 with the slope rating of 67.6 and 118 is really old "men"? And you have Red listed twice, one with the (W) beside it, for women I assume. So who is the other Red listed for? The one with the 66.2 and 115 slope and course rating?

lol..lemme guess this is how it goes at Diamante;

Gold- for the really egotistical players
Blue- For the good players who don't have a huge ego about it
White- for the middle of the road players or good players who are getting older
Green- for the Sr. players who are still fairly decent in skill or are under 75.
Silver- for the Sr players who are 75+ years in age

and last but not least.......

Red- for the players in wheelchairs or using walkers.

;D

HognitiveDissonance

About the course itself at Diamante, the pros that played the Nationwide Tour event there from 2001-04 had were complimentary. I worked the event all four years and overheard several comments, not from guys giving quotes to the media, but when the players were in conversations with one another:

One player said to another they were the best greens he had putted. Don't know the course conditions now, but in that time, they were really good. You feel like you could make anything, it was such a true roll.
They commented on the tough stretch of par-4s from 13-15 that is really the meat of the course. They thought that stretch was a real challenge to them.
One caddy said to another that he wasn't sure how the course was, but offhand it was definitely Top 10 of the ones they play on that circuit.
Another player commented 'how far out there' the place was. Considering driving from I-30 in Benton, it's 18 miles of winding road to get there so I understand that. In fact, that's probably what killed the event. It's too isolated and the crowds just weren't what Stephens was wanting, so they killed it.

GolfNut57

Funny how Stephens hasn't tried to get a yearly pro event at Alotian.

ricepig

Quote from: GolfNut57 on January 06, 2018, 01:30:29 am

Not really, I don't think the course were up for galleries, much like the Blessings. The Blessings is undergoing changes to host some NCAA events and make it more "spectator" friendly??

Lao Tsuie

It's GOLD
Black
Blue
White
Green
Red
Teal

7 tee placements.

The green is now a hybrid from the (old) hardest 9 of the Silver and the (old) easiest green. Now they call that the green. ..
There aren't anymore Silver tees, which may give one pause and reflection.

To a previous poster, best friend is a member there and has always said the women rule at Diamante.

So, you gigalows better get on over, lmao.

The teal are out there in the fairways somewhere.

Pause and reflection is food for the Gods and it will grow you near to them.
LT

Dillar Dog

Quote from: GolfNut57 on January 06, 2018, 01:30:29 am

That's more of a hassle than anything.

Palmer cup is coming 2019

Lao Tsuie

Lao Tsuie

The crowds were huge at Diamante with the free tickets and all.

When you couldn't get any free tickets anymore the crowds dwindled.

That's when they withdrew their sponsorship...

razordank42

bunkers are getting re-done as we speak...something called...better billy bunker?.... high school buddy of mine is the head greens keeper.. i get to play it about 1 time a year....its a great track

GolfNut57

Quote from: razordank42 on January 11, 2018, 02:19:51 pm
bunkers are getting re-done as we speak...something called...better billy bunker?.... high school buddy of mine is the head greens keeper.. i get to play it about 1 time a year....its a great track

Greenskeeper is your old high school buddy and he only lets you play once a year?

ricepig

Quote from: GolfNut57 on January 11, 2018, 03:57:31 pm
Greenskeeper is your old high school buddy and he only lets you play once a year?

Maybe that's all the course can handle of him?

razordank42

Quote from: ricepig on January 11, 2018, 04:17:32 pm
Maybe that's all the course can handle of him?

hahaha correct!!!!

parallaxpig

Quote from: razordank42 on January 11, 2018, 05:45:06 pm
hahaha correct!!!!

Nice course, very long.  Isabella or Granada are just as nice.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

hogfan98

Quote from: ricepig on January 06, 2018, 09:07:20 am
Not really, I don't think the course were up for galleries, much like the Blessings. The Blessings is undergoing changes to host some NCAA events and make it more "spectator" friendly??

Renovations are done.  It's more walkable, which was the primary goal, but I think the course lost some character in the process.  Still A+ condition, still has its quirks, and is still difficult.

userpick

Lao Tsuie

Me too...

There is lots of work going on at Diamante.  Ate the killer Sunday buffet and going in, saw huge piles of snow white Florida sand everywhere.  4-6 inches deep will be in the sand traps, heavy equipment in the bunkers they are doing some "system" work for to drain ECT.