Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

John Stephen Jones - - -

Started by Hawgphat, February 04, 2018, 10:16:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 05, 2018, 11:37:25 am
Huh?  Never gave it a thought. No.  But he's coached some great QBs.

Everyone says Jerry hired Morris.  If he had wanted KK on the hill to coach his grandson, guess you wouldn't have been on board.

LZH

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on February 05, 2018, 11:31:48 am
Would you be happy if we had hired Kingsbury?

Didn't he wash out with the Bengals?

bphi11ips

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on February 05, 2018, 11:44:45 am
Everyone says Jerry hired Morris.  If he had wanted KK on the hill to coach his grandson, guess you wouldn't have been on board.

I disagree with you about what everyone says. 

I think Chad Morris was hired because he was the best candidate for the job after Gus Malzahn turned it down. I think Malzahn endorsed him.  Did you know Doug Pederson was coaching high school 9 years ago?

I think Chad Morris was hired because he has been successful everywhere he's been.

I think he was hired because he is very impressive and humble in person. 

I think he was hired because he is the best person to recruit in Arkansas's footprint. 

I wouldn't have been happy with Kingsbury for the same reason I didn't want Leach.  You have to run the football to win in the SEC.  CCM runs a balanced two-back, play-action attack that will take vertical shots downfield.  He plays with tempo but doesn't play dink-and-dunk.  I've personally never liked the Air Raid offense.

So no, I wouldn't have been happy with Kingsbury.  Morris was the consensus pick of a bunch of people who know what they're doing.  I would think someone asked Jerry Jones for his opinion.  If they didn't they should have.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

WOOPIGDOOIE

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 05, 2018, 12:19:09 pm

I think Chad Morris was hired because he was the best candidate for the job after Gus Malzahn turned it down. I think Malzahn endorsed him.  Did you know Doug Pederson was coaching high school 9 years ago?

I think Chad Morris was hired because he has been successful everywhere he's been.

I think he was hired because he is the best person to recruit in Arkansas's footprint. 

I wouldn't have been happy with Kingsbury for the same reason I didn't want Leach.  You have to run the football to win in the SEC.  CCM runs a balanced two-back, play-action attack that will take vertical shots downfield.  He plays with tempo but doesn't play dink-and-dunk.  I've personally never liked the Air Raid offense.

So no, I wouldn't have been happy with Kingsbury.  Morris was the consensus pick of a bunch of people who know what they're doing.  I would think someone asked Jerry Jones for his opinion.  If they didn't they should have.

Hog Pharm

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on February 05, 2018, 11:37:23 am
Here are the NFL quarterback heights. I hope he's Russell Wilson or Drew Brees, but his height is in the bottom tail of the curve.

https://gooddeedseats.com/all-starting-nfl-quarterback-heights/

I'd say that's a 100% success rate.

liljo

I too am very supportive of the decision to hire Coach Morris. And I appreciate your take on things. Being new to Hogville, you have rapidly become one of my favorites!

And yes, last night was the first I knew of the Eagles' coach being a high school coach just 9 years ago. I like what Morris said about high school coaches. They are some of the most innovative coaches in the country. They have very little control over the personnel they have to work with, therefore they have to be very creative and build schemes to maximize the players they have. The NFL has drafts, and trades. NCAA has recruiting. HS coaches have the kids they have. I think Morris will be very creative in using the players he has at Arkansas to the best of their abilities, as well.

By the way, wasn't that some call by the Eagles to end the first half? Guts, meet intelligence. Loved that game!

Go Hogs. I am very hopeful about the Razorbacks future.
Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

whatsshakinbacon

Wow guys, not saying he's a talent or not, but how remarkable is it to have the owner of the Dallas Cowboys grandson on campus.  A kid with Tony Romo's cell phone number, with access to the NFL like no one else in Fayetteville.

Despite the fact he may be a real talent, this can be a recruiting coup.  I'd have him partnered up with the best official visitors for the entirety of his career.

Bacon out...

bphi11ips

Quote from: liljo on February 05, 2018, 12:56:01 pm
I too am very supportive of the decision to hire Coach Morris. And I appreciate your take on things. Being new to Hogville, you have rapidly become one of my favorites!

And yes, last night was the first I knew of the Eagles' coach being a high school coach just 9 years ago. I like what Morris said about high school coaches. They are some of the most innovative coaches in the country. They have very little control over the personnel they have to work with, therefore they have to be very creative and build schemes to maximize the players they have. The NFL has drafts, and trades. NCAA has recruiting. HS coaches have the kids they have. I think Morris will be very creative in using the players he has at Arkansas to the best of their abilities, as well.

By the way, wasn't that some call by the Eagles to end the first half? Guts, meet intelligence. Loved that game!

Thanks.  We need more positive people around here who know something about football. 

I didn't know a thing about Pederson until last night.  He started with the Eagles as a quality control coach.  What a trajectory!  I've always thought read-option football would work in the pros.  I don't think Pederson has figured out yet it won't.  We're seeing the game change before our eyes.  And it started with guys Reggie Herring would call "high school".

Jimbob111

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 05, 2018, 08:41:48 am
Football is not all about measurables.  JSJ has the physical tools to play in the SEC and beyond.  54 of the 106 players on rosters in the Super Bowl were undrafted free-agents.

The NFL is full of Blaine Bishops.  Blaine was a 5'9" All-Pro safety for the Titans.  He was an eighth round pick out of Ball State.  He and many like him say that everyone in the NFL has the skills, but passion and dedication are difference makers. 

JSJ has shown the skills, but he has also shown the head and the heart to be a successful SEC quarterback.  Kliff Kingsbury knows QBs.  So does Chad Morris.  Frank Broyles loved QBs.  He signed 'em in bunches.  Steve Little was an All-State QB and DB from Kansas who Broyles recruited as a QB.  He came in with Ron Calcagni.  Bill Montgomery and Chuck Dicus were both highly recruited QBs from Texas.  All of those guys were similar in size to JSJ, and they were all great football players.  They played for Arkansas teams with a combined record of 53-9-2. 

Connor Noland and John Stephen Jones are a solid foundation for their class.

I've felt this way for a long time. I always hated Nutt for looking for diamonds in the rough but sometimes, guys are just ballers and win games simply from "want to". I've only watched JSJ's highlights and not full games but he has the it factor.

I was a huge Doug Flutie fan because he kind of always had the same ability to play. Some guys just have it.

I'm thought-blocking but it's like the smallish linebacker who got locked up with the Auburn fullback and laid him out. Jericho Nelson maybe?
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

The_Iceman

How important is height in a QB in a spread offense? I would think mobility can offset being shorter.

I wonder if we are going to see quite a few of our QBs transfer out.

http://www.hudl.com/v/291nqf

bphi11ips

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 05, 2018, 01:36:22 pm
How important is height in a QB in a spread offense? I would think mobility can offset being shorter.

We'll have a lot of talent competing for the job in the Fall.

That's the first highlights I've watched. Mechanically he's ready to start. When he has time in the pocket his footwork is great. When he extends the play, he keeps his eyes downfield and squares his shoulders to his target.

You can't watch that and not be excited.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 05, 2018, 09:28:43 am
It's shocking that Morris would give a scholarship to the grandson of the man who basically "hired" him for the position.  Almost hard to comprehend.
Not what I've heard. His dad is closer to Morris than Jerry and it was the dad, not the granddad who was high on him in the hiring process. But no one person hired Morris. Several were involved and in the end it came down to his strong recruiting ties in Texas. As for the kid, he's a legit QB recruit. No one can predict how well he will do at the SEC level but he did not get a scholarship because his last name was Jones.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Mike Irwin on February 05, 2018, 01:59:52 pm
Not what I've heard. His dad is closer to Morris than Jerry and it was the dad, not the granddad who was high on him in the hiring process. But no one person hired Morris. Several were involved and in the end it came down to his strong recruiting ties in Texas. As for the kid, he's a legit QB recruit. No one can predict how well he will do at the SEC level but he did not get a scholarship because his last name was Jones.

Precisely.

onebadrubi

It doesn't matter if the kid can or will cut it here.  The fanbase has the idiots just like any other that his first interception, his first game he loses, or his first missed throw, they will be here and on radio calling for his head because he is only playing because of who his grandfather is.  He will have to worry about the similar things the Allen boys did with this type of stuff.  It's unfortunate that we have some people in this fanbase who aren't intelligent enough to see through these type of things in this world, but we do so does most other fan bases.  That being said, we all hope we land the Gunnell kid next year...

bphi11ips

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 05, 2018, 02:03:33 pm
It doesn't matter if the kid can or will cut it here.  The fanbase has the idiots just like any other that his first interception, his first game he loses, or his first missed throw, they will be here and on radio calling for his head because he is only playing because of who his grandfather is.  He will have to worry about the similar things the Allen boys did with this type of stuff.  It's unfortunate that we have some people in this fanbase who aren't intelligent enough to see through these type of things in this world, but we do so does most other fan bases.  That being said, we all hope we land the Gunnell kid next year...

No position is safe in college football. Coaches try to recruit someone to take your place every year.

WOOPIGDOOIE

Quote from: liljo on February 05, 2018, 12:56:01 pm

CCM was the creator of that play the Eagles ran. He ran it while at Clemson when he was the OC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqJqaqFiwds

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: hawg1221 on February 05, 2018, 08:57:50 am
Never seen him play. Is he similar to Johnny Manziel?
Arm: Better
Legs: Not as awesome as Manzel but close
Will To Win: Equal if not better...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Porcius Magnus

And in 30 or 40 years, as a UA alum, he may be running the Jones Empire.

bphi11ips

Not what I've heard. His dad is closer to Morris than Jerry and it was the dad, not the granddad who was high on him in the hiring process.

That makes sense. Steve Jones and CCM had sons on Highland Park. Both played QB. Dads talk at football games everywhere.

DeltaBoy

He's a great player and he lead Highland Park to 2 5A Texas HS state Football Titles.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

arthurhawgerelli

Quote from: Porcius Magnus on February 05, 2018, 02:19:15 pm

He's got an older brother who is also at the U of A.  He works in the Athletic Dept.  Maybe co-runners of the Jones Empire. 

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: Mike Irwin on February 05, 2018, 07:32:30 am
Height in not everything in a quarterback. If it was nobody under 6-2 would have ever made it to the NFL. This kid is pretty danged salty. He makes plays, especially under pressure. There is no way at this point to know exactly how well he will make the transition to the SEC but it will be interesting to watch it unfold. It would be  a hell of story if he ever wins the job.
Yes. And a story I am looking forward to following. Thrilled he's coming to Arkansas.

Cotton

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 05, 2018, 09:11:03 am
The NFL draft hasn't always been seven rounds.  Bishop was drafted in 1993 when there were eight rounds.  There were ten rounds in 1980.
Ahhh read your quote wrong as him being a current Titan.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

SoonerBaHog

Quote from: Porcius Magnus on February 05, 2018, 02:19:15 pm

Stands to reason doesn't it?

EastexHawg

You keep believing whatever you want.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Cotton on February 05, 2018, 04:11:48 pm
Ahhh read your quote wrong as him being a current Titan.

Should have said that. Blaine has a son who had half a dozen TD catches last year for Brentwood High School. He is a rising star. 

Hogarusa

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on February 05, 2018, 02:15:45 pm
Arm: Better
Legs: Not as awesome as Manzel but close
Will To Win: Equal if not better...

The will to win measurement.
I'm rooting for him to succeed but you are saying he is a near equal to a Heisman winning QB
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

870hogfan

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 05, 2018, 04:28:03 pm
You keep believing whatever you want.

If Bobby would have offered him you be all over it....

EastexHawg

Quote from: 870hogfan on February 05, 2018, 05:19:05 pm
If Bobby would have offered him you be all over it....

If we could get into a DeLorean time machine and go back to Jerry Jones' high school days, when linemen weighed 205 pounds, it might be less obvious for an SEC team to offer a 5'10", 175 pound quarterback.

Highland Park's record in the eleven years before young Jones' two state championships was 130-16.  They have played in eight state championship games and made a Texas record 49 playoff appearances.  HP has been a dominant program since the days of having Bobby Layne and Doak Walker in the same backfield.   

oldfart

lets remember that we are looking for a good if not great COLLEGE QB.   whether he had the measureables for an NFL QB is insignificant

greenEGnHAWGS

Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

Swestwill66

Quote from: hogsanity on February 05, 2018, 08:32:16 am
Let me ask this, if his name was Jim Bob Honeycutt, and no one is his family had any relationship to the UofA, would anyone care if he came here or not?

What if Jim Bob had the same numbers as the Jones kid? How many yards did Jones throw for last year ? Touchdowns? Interceptions?
Jim Bob would be getting serious attention.

liljo

Quote from: Swestwill66 on February 05, 2018, 09:39:21 pm
What if Jim Bob had the same numbers as the Jones kid? How many yards did Jones throw for last year ? Touchdowns? Interceptions?
Jim Bob would be getting serious attention.

You bet'cha he would.
Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

HogNTX

Absolutely. +1

bphi11ips

Quote from: liljo on February 05, 2018, 09:40:39 pm
You bet'cha he would.

4,911 yards
61 Touchdowns
4 interceptions
One Season
Texas 5A

'Nuff said.

Yosemite Ham

Great player from a great Razorback family,  who is a hell of a leader. Please bring us a championship to the hill.
Elmer Fudds a [CENSORED]

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 05, 2018, 01:36:22 pm

This cat is SMART... How do I know? 61 TD's to 4 int's in his Sr season. Other than his QB IQ his biggest and most glaring asset is his peripheral vision. He is able to evade defenders while keeping his eyes downfield for an outlet receiver. It's just disgusting how many times he looked stuck only to slip and throw in one motion. Damn.!
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

Tusker4life

I like the fact he can run and isn't scared to run.

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on February 05, 2018, 10:38:53 pm
This cat is SMART... How do I know? 61 TD's to 4 int's in his Sr season. Other than his QB IQ his biggest and most glaring asset is his peripheral vision. He is able to evade defenders while keeping his eyes downfield for an outlet receiver. It's just disgusting how many times he looked stuck only to slip and throw in one motion. Damn.!
Cheering for Alabama because they are in the SEC is like cheering for the Devil because he is in the Bible...

Sivad

Glad we offered and glad JSJ accepted.
He will be a great addition to any team and especially this one.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Hogarusa on February 05, 2018, 04:53:10 pm
The will to win measurement.
I'm rooting for him to succeed but you are saying he is a near equal to a Heisman winning QB
Back to back state titles in Texas 5A... The kid is no slouch. Whose to say which one is better. I'm just saying he is a better passer. The stats don't lie. He doesn't have Manzell's wheels, but again he's no slouch. Que up film on both of them

flagstaffhog

Damn Good Post....
Go HOGS Go!

HouSwine

Did you see him LEAD his team to an unbelievable comeback while winning his 2nd Championship?
He has "IT"!

HogimusMaximus

BigE_23

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 05, 2018, 06:21:24 pm
If we could get into a DeLorean time machine and go back to Jerry Jones' high school days, when linemen weighed 205 pounds, it might be less obvious for an SEC team to offer a 5'10", 175 pound quarterback.

Highland Park's record in the eleven years before young Jones' two state championships was 130-16.  They have played in eight state championship games and made a Texas record 49 playoff appearances.  HP has been a dominant program since the days of having Bobby Layne and Doak Walker in the same backfield.   

And for all that dominance, they have a total of 5 state championships in 1948, 1957, and then 3 in the last 12 seasons.

For two of those state titles, JSJ was the QB. Regardless of how you, or anyone else wants to spin it, that says something.

2005 was their first state title in 48 years, and they didn't win another one until JSJ lead them to a championship in 2016 and repeated in 2017. (Fun fact for ya, the QB for that 2005 team was Matthew Stafford)

Soooie21

Quote from: alohawg on February 05, 2018, 12:48:40 am
Is there any recent qb you might compare him to?
His style is like Tony Romo..

RME

So we've got a Chase Daniel/Clint Stoerner/Doug Flutie/Johnny Manziel/Drew Brees/Tony Romo hybrid QB that we can pair with a running back that resembles Darren McFadden.

I'm expecting 14-1 this year and anything less is a disappointment.

Cotton

Best post you've ever had IMO.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

steveaustin69

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 06, 2018, 08:58:53 am
So we've got a Chase Daniel/Clint Stoerner/Doug Flutie/Johnny Manziel/Drew Brees/Tony Romo hybrid QB that we can pair with a running back that resembles Darren McFadden.

I'm expecting 14-1 this year and anything less is a disappointment.

The delusion is real.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 05, 2018, 10:12:30 pm
4,911 yards
61 Touchdowns
4 interceptions
One Season
Texas 5A

'Nuff said.
Then I have to ask.  Where were the offers from Texas, Oklahoma, LSU, Ohio State, Alabama?  Hell, even Oklahoma State, Texas A&M, Missouri, Ole Miss?  Why do you suppose his offers were from SMU, Kansas and Texas Tech?