Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Open Tryouts for Walk-On Players?

Started by NuttinItUp, December 12, 2017, 01:09:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

leroyhawg

Quote from: LA Football fan on December 12, 2017, 04:18:54 pm
I think the OP was just suggesting that by having open tryouts you may just get a kid that is athletic, say in track, that you could use to add speed to your roster and maybe supplement your special teams play.   Looking at our roster last year, it was clearly evident we were lacking speed at numerous positions.  Sometimes a kid just goes through a growth spurt after getting to college and because of that they were overlooked.  No one is saying that having open tryouts are some magic formula.  You could hold them on one day, let your current players do the timing, drills, etc and let them evaluate whether any look promising enough to give them another look by the coaches.  Players know talent when they see it.  They play against it every game and practice.  Doesn't have to infringe on the coaches schedule or time.  Not saying I am endorsing the idea, but there are plenty of athletes that play other sports that could be impact players in football.  Since speed is a Major component of what Morris wants to do, having a tryout and getting some 40 times would seem to be a good way of seeing if there is some overlooked speed already on campus.
Yes!
God Loves a Working man, dont trust Whitey and darn from Shinola. Navin

Navin Johnson

RME

Quote from: leroyhawg on December 14, 2017, 11:19:16 pm
when Edison's first bulb didn't work I'm damn glad he kept trying, or when Al Gore went sleepless for days on end so we could have hogville,  when we finally found a bigger liar than Bill...

Well done.

HognotinMemphis

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – The University of Arkansas football program will hold a one-day tryout for enrolled students on Wednesday, March 1, at the Fred W. Smith Football Center.

The tryout is open only to full-time students at the University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, campus. Tryout participants must have played football in high school or college (letter of recommendation from high school and/or college coach preferred) and must bring their own football workout apparel and equipment.

Check-in and registration will be from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. in the Fred W. Smith Football Center lobby.

To participate, students must provide the following completed forms in advance of the tryout:
University of Arkansas Walk-On Tryout Form
University of Arkansas Tryout Medical Clearance Form (No other form will be accepted)
Sickle Cell Test Results
Proof of Insurance (if any) and a current copy of insurance card.

Please email the above required documentation prior to the registration/check-in to Will Landreth, Director of Compliance: wlandre@uark.edu.

You WILL NOT be allowed to try out if the above forms are not complete and on file with the University of Arkansas Sports Medicine Staff prior to the tryout.

Sickle Cell Test Results? Never heard of this being a requirement to play sports anywhere at any level. Is this new? I assume it is a requirement for black players only. Interesting.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

ricepig

Nothing new, the previous staff held them to get the numbers up for spring practice, too.

NuttinItUp

February 17, 2018, 10:12:00 am #104 Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 12:17:48 pm by NuttinItUp
Original link where OP info was copy/pasted from, if anyone is interested: http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/walk-on-tryout-for-university-of-arkansas-students/

NuttinItUp

Quote from: ricepig on February 17, 2018, 10:08:38 am
Nothing new, the previous staff held them to get the numbers up for spring practice, too.

I missed where anyone said it was something new.

NuttinItUp

February 17, 2018, 10:14:08 am #106 Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 12:17:35 pm by NuttinItUp
nm..

ricepig

Quote from: NuttinItUp on February 17, 2018, 10:12:52 am
I missed where anyone said it was something new.

And now we don't have to have a post asking if it is, you're welcome.

lakecityhog

Rice, I think the "new" question was about the sickle cell clearance. Is that a new requirement?

LZH

Someone tell the coaches I'm running late, I'll be there when I get there.....I'm sure they'll understand. When they see me sling a 10 yd zinger, everyone will stop just to watch.

ricepig

Quote from: lakecityhog on February 17, 2018, 10:17:18 am
Rice, I think the "new" question was about the sickle cell clearance. Is that a new requirement?

Nope

https://www.medpagetoday.com/orthopedics/sportsmedicine/36947

Confirmation of sickle cell status will be required of all incoming student athletes in the 2013-2014 school year and for all athletes by 2014-2015. Mandatory sickle cell screening is already required by the NCAA in Division I and Division II athletes.

LZH

I posted on the other thread. I still can't believe nobody has called me....I have eligibility left.

Drug tests aren't required, right?

NuttinItUp

Quote from: LZH on February 17, 2018, 10:23:00 am
I posted on the other thread. I still can't believe nobody has called me....I have eligibility left.

Drug tests aren't required, right?

I always wondered: if you are a player in a state where pot is legal, can they test you for it?

I know in the pros, they can have their own "workplace" rules which ban pot use, but college players are not paid employees.

I realize it was many years ago, but I received a minor scholly to play baseball at Ark Tech. I didn't know many Tech students but my best friend and fellow pitcher in High School was there.  This Kid had control on the mound.  He could throw 3 pitches on any count and put the ball near exactly where he intended on any count with decent velocity.   I had more speed and stamina than he had but no where near the control.  This Kid could have developed stamina and having come up through the Leagues in Chicago, he knew HOW to pitch.  He was coached by some major leaguers.  He could have played on those Tech teams.  Also another Kid from a nearby HS who could kick the hide off a football.  Very accurate on field goals with good distance.  Could kick deep on kickoffs.  No school had heard of any of us 3 potentials.  A coach who knew the Tech staff told them about me or I would have been a never heard of.  So I know years ago there was dozens of decent players who no one ever heard of except the locals.  And i realize times change.

EastTNHog

Quote from: Roadhog82 on December 12, 2017, 01:29:24 pm
Baker Mayfield was a walk on
He was a top 50 pro style QB in the country and started at Lake Travis in Austin. Much different scenario.

Jimbob111

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 12, 2017, 01:22:35 pm
if that is what we are relying on to field a team, we are screwed.

the likelihood of finding an exceptional athlete that doesn't train or play sports...well even if you found one, they would have no training.  look at how  hard it was for froholt and he actually played some sports in high school

I have to disagree. There are tons of athletic guys on campus who could contribute. That being said, I think players who play a position are much more important than "athletes". Give me a linebacker. Give me a defensive back. Give me a receiver. Don't give me an athlete, give me someone who is good at the position they play on the field. Marvin Harrison wasn't a great athlete but he was one hell of a receiver. Bosworth wasn't a great athlete. Give me someone who knows the position he plays.
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Way back in the day A&M fielded kick-off teams composed of non-scholarship students. 

I would think kickers and punters might show up and actually prove useful, especially soccer or rugby players.

http://www.myaggienation.com/history_traditions/12th_man/jackie-sherrill-brought-th-man-concept-to-a-m-s/article_962ad122-10ce-11e3-b113-0019bb2963f4.html

EFBAB

oldman1015

Arkansas, the left lane state.

Bash

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 17, 2018, 10:04:50 am

Sickle Cell Test Results? Never heard of this being a requirement to play sports anywhere at any level. Is this new? I assume it is a requirement for black players only. Interesting.

Why do you find this interesting?
The past was erased, the erasure was forgotten, the lie became truth.

TexHog188

It's a player safety issue and has been part of normal screening for some time.

Sickle Cell Trait
The NCAA Sport Science Institute is committed to the health, safety and well-being of student-athletes with sickle cell trait.

Sickle cell trait is not a disease; it is an inherited red blood cell condition that can affect athletes at all levels. While sickle cell trait is not a barrier to playing competitive sports, athletes with sickle cell trait have experienced significant physical distress, including collapse and death during intense exercise. Heat, dehydration, inadequate acclimatization, altitude and asthma can increase the risk for medical complications in athletes with sickle cell trait.

Through awareness, education and proper physical conditioning under the supervision of a primary athletics health care provider, athletes with sickle cell trait may safely achieve outstanding athletic performance.

http://www.ncaa.org/sport-science-institute/sickle-cell-trait

"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

LZH

Quote from: NuttinItUp on February 17, 2018, 11:31:25 am
I always wondered: if you are a player in a state where pot is legal, can they test you for it?

I know in the pros, they can have their own "workplace" rules which ban pot use, but college players are not paid employees.

Good question....,I really don't know.

bphi11ips

Quote from: LZH on February 18, 2018, 08:41:45 am

You're up early.  Getting in shape for tryouts or getting ready for church?

;)
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

tophawg19

sometimes you can get former track kids to try out and the kids who played in basketball only schools offer possibilities at WR , TE , and DB . And like they said , some soccer and rugby kids are tough enough to play. especially on special teams and as walk ons they cost nothing
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Bash on February 17, 2018, 08:52:57 pm
Why do you find this interesting?
Because I was not aware of it being a health issue for college football players or other college athletes.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 12, 2017, 03:03:17 pm
so it looks like they tried the idea out and didn't find it worthy to continue.

IOW the athletic dept agrees with me that it is a waste of time

I'm not certain, but I think that most every P-5 school conducts walk-on tryouts. There isn't anything wrong with having them. The odds of finding someone who is going to be a real contributor is small, but you never know. Who knows, you might find a kid who is a great kicker or punter who was just completely overlooked in the recruiting process. It is possible to find another player who could contribute eventually, but probably less likely. One thing is for certain though, if you don't give them a shot, even in a one day workout, you'll never know if you missed someone or not.

Is it worth the time it take to conduct one tryout? Sure it is. If not, most schools wouldn't waste the time.
Go Hogs Go!

LZH

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 18, 2018, 09:21:07 am
You're up early.  Getting in shape for tryouts or getting ready for church?

;)

Both

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on December 12, 2017, 02:05:37 pm
Spotted Broyles on a couple of occasions in the early 70's lurking around the intramural fields during our dorm football tournaments. Always wondered if he was scouting for undiscovered talent. Some of those guys were pretty good.

Yeah, we got torched by a scholarship quarterback who had quit the football team.

SamBuckhart

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 12, 2017, 02:16:27 pm
Dr. Tom did it at Nebraska for years.
Maybe some track studs, I'm thinking. Wouldn't cost much to kick the tires.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

NuttinItUp

Quote from: tophawg19 on February 18, 2018, 09:54:10 am
sometimes you can get former track kids to try out and the kids who played in basketball only schools offer possibilities at WR , TE , and DB . And like they said , some soccer and rugby kids are tough enough to play. especially on special teams and as walk ons they cost nothing

Seems like track, basketball, soccer/rugby, etc. athletes would be good ones to get. It makes me wonder why they put this part into the tryouts announcement (link):

"Tryout participants must have played football in high school or college (letter of recommendation from high school and/or college coach preferred) and must bring their own football workout apparel and equipment."

younghog

Quote from: NuttinItUp on February 18, 2018, 01:01:19 pm
Seems like track, basketball, soccer/rugby, etc. athletes would be good ones to get. It makes me wonder why they put this part into the tryouts announcement (link):

"Tryout participants must have played football in high school or college (letter of recommendation from high school and/or college coach preferred) and must bring their own football workout apparel and equipment."

So that they understand the concepts of routes, field positions, drills rotation etc.. more than anything.

Can't have a soccer kid walk up and not understand they want to test him with Dbacks and he walks out with the Dline group
GO HOGS

NuttinItUp

Quote from: younghog on February 18, 2018, 01:05:38 pm
So that they understand the concepts of routes, field positions, drills rotation etc.. more than anything.

Can't have a soccer kid walk up and not understand they want to test him with Dbacks and he walks out with the Dline group

I would imagine most current kickers/punters on college football teams would not understand those concepts. Not sure why it would be a requirement for soccer kids trying out to kick/punt.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: younghog on February 18, 2018, 01:05:38 pm

I don't care which group a soccer kid walks out with as long as he can be accurate on FG's from 40 yards out or more or has a hang time on a punt of 4-5 seconds.
Go Hogs Go!

Lao Tsuie

I could also see a kid who maybe sat out a year after he graduated HS, was burned out on football, got in college then started wanting again to play football and was pretty darn good. It's very possible he could "try-out" and end up contributing.

Bash

Quote from: LZH on February 18, 2018, 08:41:45 am

Hey, LZH if I notice someone with their fly open, I usually don't say anything.  But your profile pic is sideways.  Nothing wrong with that, but I wanted to let you know in case that sort of thing might embarrass you.  And because I feel like I have to tilt my head to the left when I read your posts.
The past was erased, the erasure was forgotten, the lie became truth.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

younghog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 18, 2018, 01:10:10 pm
I don't care which group a soccer kid walks out with as long as he can be accurate on FG's from 40 yards out or more or has a hang time on a punt of 4-5 seconds.

Most soccer kids can also run routes mind you. My second child is a HS freshman and is quite the athlete here in DFW.. Not always about kicking.. Soccer players are some of the most gifted, smartest and Coordinated athletes around..
GO HOGS

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Roadhog82 on December 12, 2017, 01:29:24 pm
Baker Mayfield was a walk on

And..... the greatest walk-on in all of college football history, Brandon Burlsworth, was a walk on..... at Arkansas!    your point?
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Dark Helmet Hog

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

PigPusher

Has anyone mentioned the quarterback intramural young man who played for the Razorbacks for one game. We we did not have a scholarship quarterback that was not hurt or something along those lines. He really did pretty good given the circumstances. Thought i would never forget his name but have.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

Godfather

Lol.  WEDNESDAY March 1.  Check your calendar. 
WPS to the end.

husker71

Well I know it worked at Nebraska.  At one time they had had 354 players selected in the NFL and 7% of those were walkons.  Some of you have watched the movie about the Eagles to many times because to walk on you had to have a  recommendation from your high school coach (so much for the chess club reference) and most were from smaller Nebraska high schools or late bloomers from bigger schools.  I M Hipp was probably the most famous because of his position (RB)  and his name but others went on to be in the pro bowl.  My gosh you have so many coaches that it is unbelievable to me that some of you think you cannot find some time to get 1 or 2 players who can contribute.  In the early 80s Nebraska had multiple walkons drafted for a few years. 

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Godfather on February 19, 2018, 01:57:16 am
Lol.  WEDNESDAY March 1.  Check your calendar. 

I don't get it; Is there something else going on that day as well?

Godfather

WPS to the end.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 17, 2018, 10:04:50 am
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – The University of Arkansas football program will hold a one-day tryout for enrolled students on Wednesday, March 1, at the Fred W. Smith Football Center.

The tryout is open only to full-time students at the University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, campus. Tryout participants must have played football in high school or college (letter of recommendation from high school and/or college coach preferred) and must bring their own football workout apparel and equipment.

Check-in and registration will be from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. in the Fred W. Smith Football Center lobby.

To participate, students must provide the following completed forms in advance of the tryout:
University of Arkansas Walk-On Tryout Form
University of Arkansas Tryout Medical Clearance Form (No other form will be accepted)
Sickle Cell Test Results
Proof of Insurance (if any) and a current copy of insurance card.

Please email the above required documentation prior to the registration/check-in to Will Landreth, Director of Compliance: wlandre@uark.edu.

You WILL NOT be allowed to try out if the above forms are not complete and on file with the University of Arkansas Sports Medicine Staff prior to the tryout.

It's an NCAA requirement after deaths attributed to issue. It will help make sure positive carriers get proper medical monitoring by the University trainers and physicians. It's not racist... Sickle cell is...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

NuttinItUp

February 19, 2018, 09:21:01 am #145 Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 09:32:32 am by NuttinItUp
Quote from: Godfather on February 19, 2018, 08:55:59 am
Thats a Thursday.
Oh, dang. Someone should email the email address listed in the article and have them change it:
http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/walk-on-tryout-for-university-of-arkansas-students/

Edit: Looks like someone got the message and changed it.

little pigee

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 12, 2017, 01:49:04 pm
do you know a lot of guys that never played football that are ?
I would have been All-State at Lockesburg if we would've had a team.  I had a frat brother who was deep snapper for Holtz (try-out), so it does happen.  Just not when you cop your 'tude.
It's not about the money...it's about the amount of money.

NoogaHog

Quote from: PigPusher on February 19, 2018, 12:06:10 am
Has anyone mentioned the quarterback intramural young man who played for the Razorbacks for one game. We we did not have a scholarship quarterback that was not hurt or something along those lines. He really did pretty good given the circumstances. Thought i would never forget his name but have.

Wasn't Wade Hill in the band before some Baylor defender tore Jason Allen's leg off at the knee? He played trombone, I believe, and played QB a lot of the season.

And on further research I believe you are talking about John Rutledge. 3 year walk on who had left the team and was asked to come back for 1 game. Here is a link to a HV thread from 2007 about him.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=147853.msg2329004#msg2329004
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

Rudy Baylor

Quote from: NoogaHog on February 19, 2018, 04:24:27 pm
Wasn't Wade Hill in the band before some Baylor defender tore Jason Allen's leg off at the knee? He played trombone, I believe, and played QB a lot of the season.

And on further research I believe you are talking about John Rutledge. 3 year walk on who had left the team and was asked to come back for 1 game. Here is a link to a HV thread from 2007 about him.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=147853.msg2329004#msg2329004

and he's now a Vice President of a legendary Arkansas banking company