Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nate Allen today

Started by bphi11ips, November 22, 2017, 08:32:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgbawb

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 22, 2017, 12:46:44 pm
Jealous of what?  DWRRS? 

Hogsanity is 180 degrees wrong. 311 is 90% right. WMS is not a dump. It is not, however, up to current SEC standards. Nor does it need to be with a capacity of 54,000. It is fine for one game per year with improvements to infrastructure primarily related to wireless communication.

Who knew Central Arkansas generated so much deep-seated resentment in other areas of the state?  Was it all related to football games?  That doesn't make sense. I don't think people from Central Arkansas lorded over the rest of the state in anything. We dominated high school sports for decades. We were the center of state government and commerce, but we just lived there. We loved Fayetteville and everything about it. We loved going to games there. We loved the restaurants. We loved Dickson Street. We couldn't wait to go to school there.

I grew up in the 60s and 70s and haven't lived in Arkansas in twenty-five years. The area of Little Rock I grew up in along Cantrell is not what it used to be. But Little Rock is still a nice city. It needs better leadership.

My impression looking from the outside in, based almost entirely upon what I have read on Hogville for the past 11 years, as well as many trips during that period of time to Central and Northwest Arkansas, is that a certain vocal group of Northwest Arkansas residents and fans long resented games in Little Rock and Little Rock in general. The games I understand. The school was there, but 4 games were in Little Rock most years, and those were often the best games as well.

When DWRRS was renovated and expanded, as NWA's economy boomed, and as Little Rock's economy, education and infrastucture tanked, it seems as if WMS became an easy target for all the pent up frustration being released by NWA fans and residents after years of feeling like a red-headed stepchild. Almost like fans of a team storming the field and tearing down the goal posts after breaking a long losing streak to a bitter rival. At some point the victors realize they still need the goal posts.

That's how I see it anyway. As an alum and lifelong Razorbacks fan, the civil war makes me sad, like watching a train wreck in slow motion.
I grew up in LR and still have family there. I am there as I write this, but now live in NWA and wouldn't want to go back to LR to live. It's too Old South for me. If you like southern culture, you will probably prefer LR. 

For the UA to succeed, it needs a strong statewide following. While NWA is probably destined to be the most populous and prosperous region of the State, it does not have enough blue-chip athletes. Another key ingredient, IMO, is for the LR school system to bolster it's HS football programs.  The UA should have a pipeline from LR producung 3-4 bluechip athletes a year. 4 and 5 star recruits.

I post, therefor I am.
John Highsmith Adams rocks.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: hawgbawb on November 23, 2017, 10:22:52 am
I grew up in LR and still have family there. I am there as I write this, but now live in NWA and wouldn't want to go back to LR to live. It's too Old South for me. If you like southern culture, you will probably prefer LR. 

For the UA to succeed, it needs a strong statewide following. While NWA is probably destined to be the most populous and prosperous region of the State, it does not have enough blue-chip athletes. Another key ingredient, IMO, is for the LR school system to bolster it's HS football programs.  The UA should have a pipeline from LR producung 3-4 bluechip athletes a year. 4 and 5 star recruits.

Pretty much this.
This is my non-signature signature.

3kgthog

I remember a time back in the 90s when Danny Ford and several Hogs criss-crossed the entire state doing various pep rallies. They'd pull up to a Walmart parking lot with a big trailer, we'd all call the Hogs, and then some autographed footballs got handed out.

At one point Ford picked out some kids from the crowd and asked them why they were wearing Notre Dame hats instead of Arkansas hats. He then went on to explain the importance of the entire state being behind the Hogs and not Notre Dame, FSU, or the other trendy teams at the time.

That was a pretty cool day for me as a kid and I'd love to get back to the heart of Ford's message. If us playing a game in Little Rock might inspire the next DMac or Corliss, isn't it worth my 3 hr drive to support a team that brings me a lot of joy?

Get back to winning and no one will care how old the stadium is, how cramped the seats are, or how Sunbelt that scoreboard looks. WMS still has Coke and the Hogs and that's all I need.

Sivad

Quote from: 3kgthog on November 23, 2017, 10:44:57 am
I remember a time back in the 90s when Danny Ford and several Hogs criss-crossed the entire state doing various pep rallies. They'd pull up to a Walmart parking lot with a big trailer, we'd all call the Hogs, and then some autographed footballs got handed out.

At one point Ford picked out some kids from the crowd and asked them why they were wearing Notre Dame hats instead of Arkansas hats. He then went on to explain the importance of the entire state being behind the Hogs and not Notre Dame, FSU, or the other trendy teams at the time.
On that same tour Danny Ford held up a Razorback license plate urging all fans to put one on their vehicle which has almost become standard today.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Sivad on November 23, 2017, 10:51:43 am
On that same tour Danny Ford held up a Razorback license plate urging all fans to put one on their vehicle which has almost become standard today.

I'd say so

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hawgbawb on November 23, 2017, 10:22:52 am

LR did turn out more good football payers in it's heyday but rarely turned out that many "blue chip" 4 or 5 stars in a given year.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 23, 2017, 11:02:53 am
LR did turn out more good football payers in it's heyday but rarely turned out that many "blue chip" 4 or 5 stars in a given year.

About the same as every other "football" part of the state.

tusksincolorado

Oh my the hate still runs strong in the state of Arkansas....when will you guys finally get it?
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

oldhawg

I have gone back and forth on the stadium/LR vs NW Arkansas debate for years.  Have finally decided that I really don't care, I will support the Razorbacks wherever they play ---- the finances of venue is for others to quibble about and decide.  Don't know what took me so long to come to this conclusion and  resolve the issue, at least to my personal satisfaction.

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: tusksincolorado on November 23, 2017, 11:39:13 am
Oh my the hate still runs strong in the state of Arkansas....when will you guys finally get it?

It truly amazes me.

jvanhorn

Quote from: j-mann on November 22, 2017, 09:55:57 pm
the jonesboro mayor  hates a-st  is pro hog  we need to strike while the iron is hot   

Then he probably shouldn't be the mayor of Jonesboro.

Piggfoot

Quote from: hogsanity on November 22, 2017, 11:28:13 am
not until the jealousy shown by some toward NWA goes away, so it aint happenin anytime soon.
Jealousy toward NWA? Most of what I read  on this site are insults presumably by people living in NWA directed toward the rest of the state, particularly Little Rock and further south.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Porkys Revenge

Quote from: hogsanity on November 22, 2017, 11:28:13 am
not until the jealousy shown by some toward NWA goes away, so it aint happenin anytime soon.
Jealous of NWA? Please. I used to have to drive 5 hours home to shoot a duck on the weekends. The turkey hunting was bunk too.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Porkys Revenge on November 23, 2017, 03:34:40 pm
Jealous of NWA? Please. I used to have to drive 5 hours home to shoot a duck on the weekends. The turkey hunting was bunk too.

Undeniable truth.

Dmacattack

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 22, 2017, 12:46:44 pm
Jealous of what?  DWRRS? 

Hogsanity is 180 degrees wrong. 311 is 90% right. WMS is not a dump. It is not, however, up to current SEC standards. Nor does it need to be with a capacity of 54,000. It is fine for one game per year with improvements to infrastructure primarily related to wireless communication.

Who knew Central Arkansas generated so much deep-seated resentment in other areas of the state?  Was it all related to football games?  That doesn't make sense. I don't think people from Central Arkansas lorded over the rest of the state in anything. We dominated high school sports for decades. We were the center of state government and commerce, but we just lived there. We loved Fayetteville and everything about it. We loved going to games there. We loved the restaurants. We loved Dickson Street. We couldn't wait to go to school there.

I grew up in the 60s and 70s and haven't lived in Arkansas in twenty-five years. The area of Little Rock I grew up in along Cantrell is not what it used to be. But Little Rock is still a nice city. It needs better leadership.

My impression looking from the outside in, based almost entirely upon what I have read on Hogville for the past 11 years, as well as many trips during that period of time to Central and Northwest Arkansas, is that a certain vocal group of Northwest Arkansas residents and fans long resented games in Little Rock and Little Rock in general. The games I understand. The school was there, but 4 games were in Little Rock most years, and those were often the best games as well.

When DWRRS was renovated and expanded, as NWA's economy boomed, and as Little Rock's economy, education and infrastucture tanked, it seems as if WMS became an easy target for all the pent up frustration being released by NWA fans and residents after years of feeling like a red-headed stepchild. Almost like fans of a team storming the field and tearing down the goal posts after breaking a long losing streak to a bitter rival. At some point the victors realize they still need the goal posts.

That's how I see it anyway. As an alum and lifelong Razorbacks fan, the civil war makes me sad, like watching a train wreck in slow motion.

I live in Little Rock and hoped they'd move all the games to Fayetteville. Our players don't owe Little Rock a thing. They certainly don't come to play for the Hogs bc they can play at War Memorial. As fans, shouldn't we want what's best for the program? We need to quit thinking about what the program "owes" us. Just because things were a certain way 20+ years ago doesn't mean they should stay the same. Alabama used to play a home game away from campus. I'm pretty sure their boosters have sustained their success. Why do we have to act any different?

bythelake

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 23, 2017, 10:19:31 am
That punishment sentence is one dumb one. But considering the source it should be expected.

Yea, that post was shocking.  Hope the dude is ok.  Scary, hope it's just a joke.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 23, 2017, 10:19:31 am
That punishment sentence is one dumb one. But considering the source it should be expected.

The other town nominated for it was Batesville.

Fayetteville got the state university and Batesville got a small Presbyterian school as a consolation.

I like Batesville the way it is, FWIW.

When I send my kids off to college, I want them to go OFF to college. Lol.