Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I Am Glad Auburn Beat Alabama

Started by BigBrandonAllenFan, November 26, 2017, 10:52:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBrandonAllenFan

If Gus is coming to Arkansas, then he is coming to Arkansas.  It doesn't matter even if he wins the national championship.  If he truly wants to come home to Arkansas, he is coming.  And if he is or is not coming, I'm betting the powers that be at U of A already have the answer.  It'll cost 5 million a year to get him, and Sexton will play him out for every dime he can get.  His stock just rose considerably after yesterday's win.  But, you get what you pay for.

Gus knows as well as anyone that playing the U of A for a bigger deal at Auburn means he will likely never be the coach at Arkansas, but on the other side of the ball, Arkansas has to be ready to match Auburn penny for penny and offer probably a 6 year deal, which I think the powers that be are prepared to do.  Gus either wants to be the Arkansas coach or he doesn't.  This is his opportunity.  No one will know the answer to that question until Auburn plays their last game this season. 

The main reason I wanted Auburn to win, is because I want a coach who can beat Saban.  Gus has shown he can beat Saban.  If you can't beat Saban, you're gonna be second best in the SEC West.

Pig in the Pokey

If they lose Saturday, he's still probably our coach. If they win Saturday, I seriously doubt it. Next Saturday our new coach will be playing in the conference title game against a top 10 team. Mike or Gus.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

lamont7906

I feel the same way no matter what if he want to be the coach he will be the coach. I'm a little skeptical still since he did had some mediocre seasons with A1 talent. If the powers to be want him though and he wants to come I just want him to win the championship and then jump ship. That could be an immediate boost to recruiting here.

davehog

I agree 100%.  This was a win/win for the Razorbacks. Either he comes back to Arkansas as the "coach that beat Saban" or we lost out due to him staying at Auburn and Hog fans have closure. Had he lost that game, we would have been taking Auburn's "loser" coach.  It would have felt like HDN to Ole Miss in reverse. 

The best possible scenario for the University of Arkansas is that Gus wins the national title this season AND comes to Arkansas. Think of the bounce in recruiting and national perception of the program. We may lose some commits in this recruiting cycle due to timing but that's a relatively small price to pay in the short term. 

IMO the most likely scenario is that Auburn doesn't win the national title, either getting beat in the SECCG or the playoff and then comes to Arkansas. 

Obviously the worst case scenario is that Arkansas gets strung along thinking that Gus is coming no matter what and he decides to stay at Auburn.  At that point, I think we would be on to the Plan B list of guys.

I still rationally believe that Gus wants to come here and has for a while.  The conditions he has been working under at Auburn (win or you're fired) is more than enough to evoke an attitude of wanting to get out of that situation regardless of the outcome. 

If we move on to Plan B guys, I still think that Charlie Strong or Gundy should be at the top of that list.

bphi11ips

I've always pulled for Auburn in the Iron Bowl. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

scaldedhog

So you beat the best coach in America so you're # 2? Ok
Make Arkansas Football great again

hawg1221

It's simple. I hate Alabama and it's good for football that Alabama comes back down to earth.

Razorback_Mack

It's medieval for any "Arkansas Fan" to pull for Alabama at any time. They've drum beat us for over a decade. At least we win one against Auburn occasionally. People just want to be part of the party I guess. They want so bad to be part of a winner that they'll cling to Alabama. Pretty sickening. I'm also very glad Auburn won.

Boarcephus

I'm tickled to death Auburn won for a couple reasons.  First, I think Gus stays there and we get Norvell but the second, Finebaum will be fun to listen to tomorrow!!  ;)  All those Roll Tide pricks will be bitching, especially Jim from Tuscaloosa and that loudmouth Tammy broad.  It'll be great! 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: lamont7906 on November 26, 2017, 11:04:25 am
I feel the same way no matter what if he want to be the coach he will be the coach. I'm a little skeptical still since he did had some mediocre seasons with A1 talent. If the powers to be want him though and he wants to come I just want him to win the championship and then jump ship. That could be an immediate boost to recruiting here.
I was thinking the same thing. If Gus won the SEC and or playoffs and came to Arkansas he should get a statue lol. I think if he came here regardless of what happens now he would boost recruiting because he just beat Alabama.

King Kong

Absurd. We can't and shouldn't want until after the NC game for Gus

swineology

Gus was never coming here

Lot's of smoke, no flames

He beat the Elephants!

Sealed the deal

Now the GOBN is clueless

hawg1221

Being able to eliminate Gus this early is a good thing. It helps to keep our focus on realistic candidates and not having to hurry with any decision if turned down at the last moment.

moses_007

Alabama had a royal beatdown coming to them, and that's what they got.  It was a lot worse than the final score.  Auburn dominated them from start to finish.  Hurts looked like a mediocre quarterback.

It's high time some other team beats the crap out of Alabama.  I enjoyed every second of it.

moses_007

To the OP, I agree that if Gus wants our job, he is taking it regardless of whether the wins keep coming for Auburn or not.

Nothing would prevent him from taking the job today, and being announced tonight.

If he is really that unhappy at AU and wants our job, it will happen.

davehog

Quote from: moses_007 on November 26, 2017, 12:11:16 pm
To the OP, I agree that if Gus wants our job, he is taking it regardless of whether the wins keep coming for Auburn or not.

Nothing would prevent him from taking the job today, and being announced tonight.

But there IS value in owning a national championship as a HC.  If he has that shot, he's gotta take it. 

The question is if he wins it would he still want to come here?

hotdog hog

Quote from: davehog on November 26, 2017, 12:38:19 pm
But there IS value in owning a national championship as a HC.  If he has that shot, he's gotta take it. 

We have to move forward after the SEC Championship, with or without Gus. If the interest is there, and some really influential people seem to think that there is, then we will await the outcome on Saturday night. If it's not, we will sign someone this week. It's that simple!

Kingfish

I agree with this too...

I think if it turns out that Gus isn't the next HC at Arkansas, then he really has no interest in the job any more and we should just move on.  Those clinging to the Gus-Bus should go park it next to the Gruden-Glider and call it a day!

Either way it turns out, the 'mystery' of whether or not Gus wants to coach the Hogs, will be solved.

riccoar

Quote from: moses_007 on November 26, 2017, 12:11:16 pm

I agree. The reason he is unhappy at Auburn can't be fixed with money. He's unhappy because even the success of this 3 week run will land him back on the Hot Seat with a loss Saturday. THAT is the insanity of Auburn. Even with a new contract, he's week to week with those fools.
And anybody that tells you he was never coming or it was a smokescreen should be ignored for the fool they are. No program ignores a coach that pulls off what he did to this point.

trublu4au

Quote from: davehog on November 26, 2017, 12:38:19 pm

No. As has already been reported by Al.com Jay Jacobs said Gus is happy at Auburn and that contract renegotiation is in play as soon as Gus gets ready. Gus even got angry last night when a reporter in the post game show asked him about rumors of going to Arkansas. His response was "I'm not worried about rumors we have an SEC championship to win." Gus will get exactly what he wants from Auburn in terms of contract and  Arkansas will hire Norvell.

Kingfish

Quote from: hotdog hog on November 26, 2017, 12:48:08 pm
We have to move forward after the SEC Championship, with or without Gus. If the interest is there, and some really influential people seem to think that there is, then we will await the outcome on Saturday night. If it's not, we will sign someone this week. It's that simple!

The ONLY caveat I could put on this is, it is possible that the deal is done already.  The way things have played out, I gotta say it 'feels' like something is already inked.  You fire the AD who insulted the hometown coach by passing on him the first time THEN you name an interim AD, who few people even knew anything about, to fire the current HC in about as drastic and publicly ugly fashion possible (almost like a signal to that OTHER guy).  And finally you give this interim AD the "power" to SINGLE-HANDEDLY "choose" the next head coach.  From behind the scenes you can almost see the real power-broker types wringing their hands and laughing smugly know, if it works GREAT but if it all goes to poop, they have a head they can hand to the public.

As the old guy in the movie The Shooter said: "...That's how conspiracy works. Them boys on the grassy knoll, they were dead within three hours. Buried in the damn desert. Unmarked graves out past Terlingua...still got the shovel!"  (that actor was from Arkansas too, by the way ;) )

It just all 'feels' very odd to me...

flynhog

According to the AUfamily.com survey, 70% are NOT in favor of renewing Gus's contract.  This was last Thursday.  I'm fairly certain the numbers aren't the same today. 

I want Gus to be coaching on the hill but it's probably not going to happen.  But as Kingfish just said Its possible the deal is already done.
Wins are the only things that matter when the game ends.  The mistakes that happen in the game are corrected by good coaching during the week. A season of near losses means you won every game.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on November 26, 2017, 10:52:36 am
If Gus is coming to Arkansas, then he is coming to Arkansas.  It doesn't matter even if he wins the national championship.  If he truly wants to come home to Arkansas, he is coming.  And if he is or is not coming, I'm betting the powers that be at U of A already have the answer.  It'll cost 5 million a year to get him, and Sexton will play him out for every dime he can get.  His stock just rose considerably after yesterday's win.  But, you get what you pay for.

Gus knows as well as anyone that playing the U of A for a bigger deal at Auburn means he will likely never be the coach at Arkansas, but on the other side of the ball, Arkansas has to be ready to match Auburn penny for penny and offer probably a 6 year deal, which I think the powers that be are prepared to do.  Gus either wants to be the Arkansas coach or he doesn't.  This is his opportunity.  No one will know the answer to that question until Auburn plays their last game this season. 

The main reason I wanted Auburn to win, is because I want a coach who can beat Saban.  Gus has shown he can beat Saban.  If you can't beat Saban, you're gonna be second best in the SEC West.
Have to disagree. While it's true that IF Gus is truly interested in coming to NWA he will no matter what. However, I can PROMISE you that had Awbarn lost yesterday the heat would have been turned up more than a few degrees. As a result the pressure to fire him would have been greatly increased. One thing you don't do on the Plains is to lose to 'Bama if you have a legitimate chance of beating the Tide. I honestly believe the Tigers were thoroughly convinced they would win this year, something that hasn't always been the case. As a result had the blown it, the PTB would have been far more apt to let him go with a very strong "good riddance". Now I think they put up a very strong fight if it comes down to it.

hawaiianhogster

I think he wants to come to Arkansas too. When he played against us he was very passionate about beating us big time. Down to the last second left on the clock. We need that in a coach to have that kind of passion. As long as he has no grudges against the university for not hiring him and the BS Nutt put him through. There is a chance of landing him.

latrops

Quote from: flynhog on November 26, 2017, 01:36:18 pm
According to the AUfamily.com survey, 70% are NOT in favor of renewing Gus's contract.  This was last Thursday. I'm fairly certain the numbers aren't the same today. 

I want Gus to be coaching on the hill but it's probably not going to happen.  But as Kingfish just said Its possible the deal is already done.

Everything changed last night.  Gus may want to come back to Arkansas, but we can't wait into January for him.  Plus, much of the strain between him and the fans and admin/boosters was eased substantially with the win over Bama.  It is entirely possible if not probable that he wanted out 24 hours ago, but is now much more comfortable with staying.  Stidham does have 2 years of eligibility remaining.

PorkSoda

my thoughts as well.  If gus wants to coach arkansas he will come and if the BOT wants to win, they will pay whatever it takes. 
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Yes, we can wait and if he is wanting the job, I hope we do wait.  We must have a good HC.  Gus is a good HC.  Our program is way down at this very time.  We need a HC who can understand what it takes to build our program back up.  He likely will never take us to a championship but if it can be done, he could be the guy to do it.

HoggyCat

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 26, 2017, 11:00:27 am
If they lose Saturday, he's still probably our coach. If they win Saturday, I seriously doubt it. Next Saturday our new coach will be playing in the conference title game against a top 10 team. Mike or Gus.

Gundy isn't......
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Hoggish1

If there is no announcement that Norvell is coming, after the UCF game Dec. 3rd then you can be sure Gus is the next coach...

RaisinHog

Quote from: King Kong on November 26, 2017, 11:52:18 am
Absurd. We can't and shouldn't want until after the NC game for Gus

Why would u not wait on a national championship coach ? This makes zero since