Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Preseason NIT matchups confirmed

Started by Hawg Red, August 06, 2015, 10:01:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawg Red

QuoteBob Holt ‏@BobHoltADG 5 minutes ago

Arkansas confirmed its in preseaon NIT. plays Akron Nov 18 & Charleston Southern Nov 20 in BWA, then Ga Tech Thanksgiving Day (Nov 26) in NY

Adam Stokes

Last year those teams had RPI's of 114, 164, and 154 respectively.  Getting the first two at home should prevent us from dropping those games, and hopefully we'll be favored vs GT.

Hawg Red

QuoteAndrew Hutchinson ‏@NWAHutch 4 minutes ago

Arkansas will also play Villanova or Stanford, depending on the result of the Georgia Tech game.

HOGINTENNESSEE

-Blu

Quote from: Adam Stokes on August 06, 2015, 10:05:01 am
Last year those teams had RPI's of 114, 164, and 154 respectively.  Getting the first two at home should prevent us from dropping those games, and hopefully we'll be favored vs GT.

Nice scheduling!  Some people are ready to abandon the season.  But, just think it's very realistic we could go at least 11-2 in the non-conference.  Our toughest home non-conference game is against Texas Tech, we should be favored by a nice margin in that game.  Then when you look at our road games.  We got @Wake Forest, @Dayton, Georgia Tech neutral site, and Villanova/Standford neutral site.  I could see us winning @WF and beating Georgia Tech.  I would even say we have a shot against Dayton.  That Stanford/Villanona game would probably be the only game that looks very unlikely, and even then you never know, especially if we get Stanford.

Then you look at our conference.  The only teams you really would think would have an RPI that would kill you this year is Mizzou and maybe Alabama.  Everybody else should have RPIs around the 100s or less.  Say we have a good home record and only lose 2-3 games at home, beat Mizzou and another team on the road, go 9-9 in conference.  Depending on our RPI, we could realistically be in the bubble and sneak in the tourney.

Hawg Red

Quote from: -Blu on August 06, 2015, 10:42:12 am
Nice scheduling!  Some people are ready to abandon the season.  But, just think it's very realistic we could go at least 11-2 in the non-conference.  Our toughest home non-conference game is against Texas Tech, we should be favored by a nice margin in that game.  Then when you look at our road games.  We got @Wake Forest, @Dayton, Georgia Tech neutral site, and Villanova/Standford neutral site.  I could see us winning @WF and beating Georgia Tech.  I would even say we have a shot against Dayton.  That Stanford/Villanona game would probably be the only game that looks very unlikely, and even then you never know, especially if we get Stanford.

Then you look at our conference.  The only teams you really would think would have an RPI that would kill you this year is Mizzou and maybe Alabama.  Everybody else should have RPIs around the 100s or less.  Say we have a good home record and only lose 2-3 games at home, beat Mizzou and another team on the road, go 9-9 in conference.  Depending on our RPI, we could realistically be in the bubble and sneak in the tourney.

I just don't think we have the firepower, particularly in the frontcourt, to make that happen.

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on August 06, 2015, 11:02:13 am
I just don't think we have the firepower, particularly in the frontcourt, to make that happen.

You think we end up worse than 11-2 in non-conference, and can't at least get to .500 in conference?

yraciv

The Georgia Tech matchup is interesting.  Going up against Stan Heath's youngest son Josh.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: -Blu on August 06, 2015, 11:03:35 am
You think we end up worse than 11-2 in non-conference, and can't at least get to .500 in conference?

10-3 non con... 10-8 sec... 2-1 in sect----22-12

MikePiazza

Quote from: Dominicanhog on August 06, 2015, 11:09:27 am
10-3 non con... 10-8 sec... 2-1 in sect----22-12

That 22-12 would definitely be better than the '13-14 22-12, so it might get them on bubble, especially since they were a tourney team last year.

Selection committee may give benefit of doubt to Hogs.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

-Blu

Quote from: MikePiazza on August 06, 2015, 11:11:57 am
That 22-12 would definitely be better than the '13-14 22-12, so it might get them on bubble, especially since they were a tourney team last year.

Selection committee may give benefit of doubt to Hogs.

With the way our SOS is looking, I could see us getting in the tournament with 20 or 21 wins (assuming there are some nice upset wins we get at home).    Our non-conference, from what we know is looking very solid.  And when we get to conference, all we have to do is do what CMA does every year and be dominate at home.  If we only lose a couple games at home, then beat some bad teams like Mizzou and Alabama on the road, your probably looking at Lunardi's prediction of a 12 seed.

MikePiazza

Quote from: -Blu on August 06, 2015, 11:16:13 am
With the way our SOS is looking, I could see us getting in the tournament with 20 or 21 wins (assuming there are some nice upset wins we get at home).    Our non-conference, from what we know is looking very solid.  And when we get to conference, all we have to do is do what CMA does every year and be dominate at home.  If we only lose a couple games at home, then beat some bad teams like Mizzou and Alabama on the road, your probably looking at Lunardi's prediction of a 12 seed.

If they're sitting at 20-11 or 21-10 going into SECT, would be helpful to win 1-2 there to ensure a bid.

Hawg Red

I think it's very possible.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Hawg Red on August 06, 2015, 11:21:26 am
I think it's very possible.

To be more clear on what I'm saying, I think we could lose at Dayton and Wake Forest in the OCC. I will not have us winning a road game OOC. I think we could lose to Georgia Tech and Villanova/Stanford in New York. And I'd have to research Akron. Without seeing the full schedule, I'd say we'll go 9-4 OOC (losing anything outside BWA). In conference, we play LSU and A&M twice. I think we lose all 4 of those games. I think we split with Missouri. Already at 5 losses just 3 opponents in. Not sure what the home/away conference schedule or who we play twice now looks like after they added two permanent opponents, but I'm guessing Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, Auburn, and Mississippi State all give us at least one loss. That's 10 losses. I don't have a good feel for UGA right now. I don't see us winning more than 1 or 2 road games this year.

So, yes, I do not think we will go 11-2 OOC or .500 in-conference. I'm just hoping we have a winning record. That's where expectation level is right now, on August 6, 2015 with no complete schedule to look at and no clarity of what the roster will actually look like.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Hawg Red on August 06, 2015, 11:02:13 am
I am exactly with HR on this, the apparent current roster changes took my ceiling from 22 down to 18, and my floor to about 14 for wins. It will be the greatest coaching feat in Hog history to make the tournament IMO.

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on August 06, 2015, 12:09:32 pm
To be more clear on what I'm saying, I think we could lose at Dayton and Wake Forest in the OCC. I will not have us winning a road game OOC. I think we could lose to Georgia Tech and Villanova/Stanford in New York. And I'd have to research Akron. Without seeing the full schedule, I'd say we'll go 9-4 OOC (losing anything outside BWA). In conference, we play LSU and A&M twice. I think we lose all 4 of those games. I think we split with Missouri. Already at 5 losses just 3 opponents in. Not sure what the home/away conference schedule or who we play twice now looks like after they added two permanent opponents, but I'm guessing Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, Auburn, and Mississippi State all give us at least one loss. That's 10 losses. I don't have a good feel for UGA right now. I don't see us winning more than 1 or 2 road games this year.

So, yes, I do not think we will go 11-2 OOC or .500 in-conference. I'm just hoping we have a winning record. That's where expectation level is right now, on August 6, 2015 with no complete schedule to look at and no clarity of what the roster will actually look like.

That's a good explanation, I see where your coming from.  I was saying strictly looking at the schedule and what CMAs teams tend to do, I don't think it's that far-fetched to think we could squeak 20 wins out of that schedule.  But, your right it is very early and still too many unknowns, at best it's hopeful speculation.

WorfHog

Enjoying the positivity in this thread. I think we could sneak in to the NCAA too and should be a lock for the NIT.

WarPig88

A local radio host said just this week that the basketball team would not win more than 12 games this year. He was completely serious.

-Blu

Quote from: WarPig88 on August 06, 2015, 03:55:50 pm
A local radio host said just this week that the basketball team would not win more than 12 games this year. He was completely serious.

LOL, who said that?  Was it JB?  I remember he was saying it would take the hogs winning 25 games to make it in the tournament last year, and it was funny because it was like the promo for his show and every time I would hear it I would just shake my head.

WarPig88

Quote from: -Blu on August 06, 2015, 04:38:01 pm
LOL, who said that?  Was it JB?  I remember he was saying it would take the hogs winning 25 games to make it in the tournament last year, and it was funny because it was like the promo for his show and every time I would hear it I would just shake my head.

Who is the main radio guy on Overtime? That's who said it.

MikePiazza

Quote from: WarPig88 on August 06, 2015, 04:48:05 pm
Who is the main radio guy on Overtime? That's who said it.

Trey Schaap. Not surprised that's who said it.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: Hawg Red on August 06, 2015, 12:09:32 pm

I see it like this as well.

trok24

we will be a little above .500 in my opinion. 7-11 in SEC play maybe 8-10. am just afraid we are going to be very limited offensively. Hope i'm wrong but i just dont see it. This team is gonna have to really rely on lockdown team defense and buy into defense will win games.JMO

HoneyNuttPetrinoos

I was thinking 16. If we win 20 Anderson needs to win COY

Biggus Piggus

Anyone picking win-loss records at this point is really reaching.
[CENSORED]!

HF#1

Nice little tournament, maybe.  Depending on how much of our team is able to play.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Bigmac2

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 07, 2015, 05:31:04 pm
Anyone picking win-loss records at this point is really reaching.

This. We don't even know who all we have playing yet.

HF#1

Quote from: Bigmac2 on August 10, 2015, 11:21:47 am
This. We don't even know who all we have playing yet.

Which is problematic by itself and doesn't assist in producing an optimistic outlook.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Bigmac2

You also must take into account how the chemistry is going gel. Even with Kentucky's MAMs it was not always a guarantee the "team" concept was achieved. Still with the talent this team at the low end should be right at .500 in conference and a trip to the NIT. At the high end there is no telling. If Trey and Moses work wonders, the team gels and no one gets booted or hurt I believe the ceiling is a 6-7 seed in the big dance. I still believe we are a big man short with experience now with no Kapita.