Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why is recruiting such a struggle here?

Started by jmalott86, July 28, 2015, 07:36:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jmalott86

Basketball is not like football, you don't have to wait 4 years to see the rewards of building a program. One, maybe Two solid recruiting classes and you can be in the top 5 of almost any league.

So why has Coach A gotten a pass on this? Outside of Portis, who would have come here no matter who the coach was almost, we are recruiting very poorly. Begging for marginal players to fill out a class. Jimmy Whitt looks to be legit, but there is no reason we should have had a problem signing 3 players of his caliber this year. Instead of taking a risk on Kapita and striking out with basically everyone else.

It seems we get one solid player in each class then the rest are either projects or transfer after a season. Auburn is a crap basketball school and Pearl is having no problem finding players? What gives?

HognitiveDissonance

It's simple. Some coaches can sell ice to eskimos, and some can't sell a cure for cancer.

Admittedly, selling has a degree of slickness/shadiness to it on some level, but the best salesmen walk that line between being dishonest and making you want to buy their product.

Mike is just, solid. That's actually a compliment. He's not going to whisper great things in a recruit's ear, which is admirable.

On the other hand, you got to sell your program and attract people to you. This staff just isn't that great at it.

Danny J

Its not the school, the program or the location. The issue is the staff as a whole. They are simply not good recruiters. Until we get some solid recruiters on staff we are going to continue to rely on signing one good player per class, one guy who would be considered a project and then role players that fit our style. Considering all this CMA has done a good job on the court. Just imagine if we could actually sign a few four stars and a 5 star in one class and get them to stay together for 2 years.

hawgfan4life

We were completely irrelevant in basketball virtually the entire lives of recruits until last season.  We had three spots and we signed two top 100 players and took a transfer.  Those complaining we should have signed better in the spring completely disregard that Portis and Qualls were saying they were staying until the last minute.  Anderson refused to sign recruits and cut current players which I believe is the correct stance for the reputation of your program.  Great recruits don't sit around waiting for schools that never meant much to them until the most recent season to possibly have an opening for them.

As the program succeeds, recruiting will continue to improve.  MA inherited a mess when he came in all areas of the BB program to include the much heralded recruiting class he had to hold together.  This spring is a trainwreck right now but it is mostly from circumstances no coach could have controlled through legal means.

Next years recruiting class has been THE class for the past two years and NOTHING has changed about that fact other than it is now more important that it is a highly successful class with impact players.  Fans are much better served patiently waiting to see how that class finishes before lighting their torches.  Things are NEVER as bad as they seem and this is no different.  AR will survive, field a team, and likely do better than many believe they will unless more wheels fall off for whatever reasons.  Regardless, next years recruiting class will answer most questions about this staff's ability to recruit.

razorhog52

I agree with some of the above, but not all. We had 3 spots, signed one solid recruit. Another was an academic risk, and took a transfer who couldn't contribute at Colorado. He also was very ill prepared for our best 2 players leaving and had no answers for Babb leaving.

Texas A&M and LSU have much worse histories than us and are lapping us in recruiting. We should have signed 5 and if Bobby and Qualls stayed, made room with not taking the transfer and possibly dropping a player.

Marshfieldhog

Anderson has been greeting smoked on the recruiting trail, thats why year 5 is going to be his worst. He needs to shake up his staff.

TomBigBeeHog

Not sure recruiting is a struggle looking at the results on the court with the players the staff recruited. The team has been very competitive and improving each year in wins.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

poloprince

Quote from: Danny J on July 28, 2015, 08:02:07 pm
Its not the school, the program or the location. The issue is the staff as a whole. They are simply not good recruiters. Until we get some solid recruiters on staff we are going to continue to rely on signing one good player per class, one guy who would be considered a project and then role players that fit our style. Considering all this CMA has done a good job on the court. Just imagine if we could actually sign a few four stars and a 5 star in one class and get them to stay together for 2 years.

You are being naive. Let's not act as if location does not matter because it does. The fact that there was no practice facility mattered. The programs that are signing a couple 4 stars and a 5 star are the elite fyi. Last I checked it wasn't the coaches decision whether a kid stays or not.
$PoLoPrInCe$

poloprince

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on July 28, 2015, 10:35:33 pm
Anderson has been greeting smoked on the recruiting trail, thats why year 5 is going to be his worst. He needs to shake up his staff.

Duke, Kentucky, Zona, etc are taking 4+ players every year MA isnt the only one getting smoked in the recruiting trail. Keep in mind there is only a top 100 and about 15 teams take up more than half of those players, which leaves over 300 other teams clawing for the leftovers.
$PoLoPrInCe$

TomBigBeeHog

Can a team never win without a roster of high profile recruits?
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

poloprince

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on July 28, 2015, 10:59:12 pm
Can a team never win without a roster of high profile recruits?

Mark Few is a legend for winning with lesser players. I guess it's all about perception. 
$PoLoPrInCe$

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: poloprince on July 28, 2015, 11:06:10 pm
Mark Few is a legend for winning with lesser players. I guess it's all about perception. 

Consistent winning helps. Few has been Gonzaga's HC for 16 seasons. Each of those 16 teams have gone Dancing. Only three of those teams came home without a win.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

jmalott86

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on July 28, 2015, 10:43:44 pm
Not sure recruiting is a struggle looking at the results on the court with the players the staff recruited. The team has been very competitive and improving each year in wins.

Smoke and mirrors if you ask me, we have benefited from playing in a weak conference and being fortunate enough to have Bobby P fall into our lap for a few years. I am not asking why we don't sign 4 top 100 players every year, I'm asking why it seems to be a struggle even to fill out the roster with top 350 type guys on a consistent basis.

The conference took a huge leap in recruiting this year while we didnt, and even without the apparent suspensions we were quickly on the way back down in the standings. I hope this staff proves me wrong in 2016 on the recruiting trail, but I have feeling they won't.

Foshodo

Quote from: Gulf_Hog on July 29, 2015, 05:55:49 am
This program is under a Nolan Richardson curse. Before he was terminated, he called the AD, the University and area a bunch of redneck hillbillies. He threatened to have the National Guard on campus with tanks and he threatened to burn down buildings. He tore down years of good will from the loyal UA basketball fans and labeled the state, the school and the fans. No parent in their right mind was going to let their kid come to UA after that. Though years have passed, the program has never recovered. As long as he is still hanging around the school and program, the curse will remain.

Many will disagree, but I know many of my friends in Ark and other states feel this is a major reason the program slid so hard and fast away from a top 10 program. It's my opinion that the damage Nolan heaped on the school pretty much cancelled the good times and success the program had enjoyed under Eddie Sutton and himself.

Another reason is continuing to hire average coaches. Until UA hires an elite coach who also keeps a tight rule on his players as far as classroom and off the court activities, the program will languish and the top recruits will not come to Fayetteville.

people railed on Nutt for the GOB system he had with his asst. coaches...

it's pretty similar to Anderson... they havent proven they can bring in top-notch guys and they havent proven they can develop players outside of players who show a huge drive to improve themselves. They are Mikes friends and relatives... are any of them ever looked at for other jobs (i believe i remember TJ's name being mentioned briefly for a small job)

his staff needs to be worked over... there are younger, more connected, position specific guys out there that could help us... hell we could even keep the GOB network going by bringing in guys like Kleine, Corliss and Todd Day... all three of these often-mentioned guys would bring immediate change IMO...

WilsonHog

Read your history. Nolan answered the recruiting question 20 years ago.

yraciv

It is pretty evident to me based on late offers that we didn't have a backup plan for Qualls and Babb. That is dropping the ball! I do feel that he knew Portis was leaving so Kapita was slotted in and he didn't anticipate he'd be ruled ineligible.

The think that doesn't fly with me is the location excuse. Obviously the practice facility thing is a legit excuse, but location shouldn't be. There are a ton of cities within 400 miles of us with big time basketball talent and enough of it to go around. Our staff just can't close! Way too often we've been the runner up or top 3 on a difference maker in the Anderson era.  I don't want to harp on our staff too much because clearly they've produced some pretty good results on the court, but other than Cleveland I see very little enthusiasm from the rest of the staff.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: jmalott86 on July 28, 2015, 07:36:18 pm
So why has Coach A gotten a pass on this?

Not sure he has gotten a pass at all.
[CENSORED]!

Like it is

It's all about winning ! Period ! Think about it , if we would've won the SEC or got to Sweet 16, are we having this conversation?????? Let's face it ... Hogs ( 2/3 star players ) vs 4/5 star players ...EVERY YEAR !

mizzouman

It's not really CMA.

Here's the deal.  The top rated guys, the 5 starts, are really thinking 1 and done.  So, is Arkansas really the place to go for 1 year?  A kid out of Chicago, New York, LA, FL, etc., want to go to Duke and Kentucky. 

Unless there is a connection, like father went there, family went there, family living in the area, a relative on the staff, etc., most schools will struggle going up against the blue bloods for 5 stars.

Letsroll1200

I don't believe that the recruiting is bad at Arkansas at all. You look at Florida that roster is full of 4-5 stars but they didn't get results on the court. Arkansas have been able to improve on the court despite of poor recruiting(Hogville).

Do we want 4-5 stars or do you want results on the court. Coach Anderson took Qualls and he developed into a early entry draft pick if it was not for a predraft injury. You don't over sign it's not a good policy for any program. 2016 this staff will bring in a solid class.

WarPig88

Quote from: Tom Bennett on July 29, 2015, 07:09:15 am
Read your history. Nolan answered the recruiting question 20 years ago.

True but the redneck sob's refuse to listen and in doing so the situation won't be improved.

hogsanity

It is really simple. Look at every really good hog football or basketball team since 1960. Every one of them was anchored by in state kids that were far above the average in state player.  In basketball in particular, the final 4 team of the late 70's, Sidney, the 94/and 95 teams, Corliss, 2000's Brewer, last year Portis.

The problem lately, most of the above average players are leaving the state. Some of it is juts the basketball landscape, they all think they are going to be one and done, so they want to go to a place where they can win big in that one year. It is why KY keeps getting ridiculous classes. If those players knew they had to stay somewhere 3 years, they very well might stay home.

But, to break that cycle, Mike is going to have to land some guys like that to get enough consistent winning to lure other guys like that. Otherwise it will be the constant roller coaster of having one good year, then 2 or three years to have another good year, then repeat.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Atlhogfan1

Location followed by the demographics within proximity to campus are what are most important in football recruiting.  Basketball recruiting is more about the staff's ability to recruit, relationships with those who influence recruits and a program's brand. Again, some are trying to make our job out to be worse and tougher than it should be. 

Nolan recruited well until AAU basketball became so influential, he damaged relationships inside and outside the state and when he couldn't recruit the JC's as he once did and when his staff became Mike, Dunn and Stehlik.  Sutton recruited well after momentum gained from the in state players.  Both he and Nolan recruited nationally including players from some of the nation's major metro areas.  Different era's though from what is happening now.  Heath recruited decently, outside of the guard position especially, and signed players with no connection to Arkansas who had good offers elsewhere and did so right after Nolan sued the university for discrimination and in a rebuild.  We aren't one of the elite brands that will attract players nearly no matter who is coaching.  But it isn't an impossible place to which to recruit either especially considering the opportunities to recruit from in state and the region.  Portis should have given this staff momentum. 

Not expecting one and done 5 stars consistently at Arkansas.  Those insinuating that is what is expected from those questioning recruiting are going to the extreme.  But recruiting could be better.  We play a system driven by guard play yet till Whitt's signing, who we know has a personal relationship to the Watkins, guard recruiting has been underwhelming.  And as some has mentioned, it is at least debatable that the planning for recruiting was questionable over this past year. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

GBHawg

What I don't understand is that a team like the Wings prove that Arkansas has tons of D1 talent right here in the state.  At nearly every level of the Wings organization, 14U - 17U, they win nationally.  Yes go get a few out of state kids, but if they just focused really hard right here in Arkansas, you can fill a great roster.  It starts at home keeping the in-state talent.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on July 29, 2015, 10:29:34 am

Not expecting one and done 5 stars consistently at Arkansas.  Those insinuating that is what is expected from those questioning recruiting are going to the extreme.  But recruiting could be better.  We play a system driven by guard play yet till Whitt's signing, who we know has a personal relationship to the Watkins, guard recruiting has been underwhelming.  And as some has mentioned, it is at least debatable that the planning for recruiting was questionable over this past year.
Exactly, everyone that defends MA's recruiting acts like the other sides expectation are that we are beating UK, Duke and the rest of the blue bloods for 5* recruits, maybe some are, but i don't think that is the majority. Eddie, Nolan, and MA in his previous stops won and were successful without having the cream of the crop recruits, the beauty in the MA/NR systems were that you didn't have to have 5 McD's AA on the floor to win. A bunch of guys who can play D, and can shoot and score well enough to outlast the opponent. Maybe one or 2 stud recruits and a bunch of mildly to lowly recruited guys to make a roster, out of that would be 3, 4, or 5 guys that people would be saying boy we really missed on these guys.

hogsanity

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on July 29, 2015, 11:44:35 am
Exactly, everyone that defends MA's recruiting acts like the other sides expectation are that we are beating UK, Duke and the rest of the blue bloods for 5* recruits, maybe some are, but i don't think that is the majority. Eddie, Nolan, and MA in his previous stops won and were successful without having the cream of the crop recruits, the beauty in the MA/NR systems were that you didn't have to have 5 McD's AA on the floor to win. A bunch of guys who can play D, and can shoot and score well enough to outlast the opponent. Maybe one or 2 stud recruits and a bunch of mildly to lowly recruited guys to make a roster, out of that would be 3, 4, or 5 guys that people would be saying boy we really missed on these guys.

But Eddie and Nolan reached their greatest heights here when they did have the cream of the crop. Eddie had the triplets, anchored by Sidney, and Nolan had Corliss.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

The Boar War

This program is under a Nolan Richardson curse. Before he was terminated, he called the AD, the University and area a bunch of redneck hillbillies. He threatened to have the National Guard on campus with tanks and he threatened to burn down buildings. He tore down years of good will from the loyal UA basketball fans and labeled the state, the school and the fans. No parent in their right mind was going to let their kid come to UA after that. Though years have passed, the program has never recovered. As long as he is still hanging around the school and program, the curse will remain.

So the recruits are too young to remember anything about the national championship but they have a ready recollection of Nolan's comments and the lawsuit?

poloprince

$PoLoPrInCe$

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: The Boar War on July 29, 2015, 12:04:15 pm
So the recruits are too young to remember anything about the national championship but they have a ready recollection of Nolan's comments and the lawsuit?

lol +1

had to remember to really give the +1 instead of just saying it. sometimes people just throw that comment out there and don't really do it.

JayBell

Quote from: GBHawg on July 29, 2015, 10:46:42 amWhat I don't understand is that a team like the Wings prove that Arkansas has tons of D1 talent right here in the state.  At nearly every level of the Wings organization, 14U - 17U, they win nationally.  Yes go get a few out of state kids, but if they just focused really hard right here in Arkansas, you can fill a great roster.  It starts at home keeping the in-state talent.

This ^

And this:

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on July 29, 2015, 11:44:35 am

No one is asking for Anderson to recruit with Kentucky.  That's not possible.  But next year's roster could consist of a total of 3 players who signed with Arkansas as incoming freshmen over the last two years when Anderson had like 8 scholarships to work with.  Instead, he's having trouble getting a guy to campus, keeping others and has been reliant on junior college transfers.

That's not a formula for long-term success.

MountieDawg

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on July 29, 2015, 08:25:57 am
I don't believe that the recruiting is bad at Arkansas at all. You look at Florida that roster is full of 4-5 stars but they didn't get results on the court. Arkansas have been able to improve on the court despite of poor recruiting(Hogville).

Do we want 4-5 stars or do you want results on the court. Coach Anderson took Qualls and he developed into a early entry draft pick if it was not for a predraft injury. You don't over sign it's not a good policy for any program. 2016 this staff will bring in a solid class.

Florida had one bad year have about 4 or 5 straight Elite 8's..
SEC!

yraciv

Quote from: mizzouman on July 29, 2015, 07:29:02 am
It's not really CMA.

Here's the deal.  The top rated guys, the 5 starts, are really thinking 1 and done.  So, is Arkansas really the place to go for 1 year?  A kid out of Chicago, New York, LA, FL, etc., want to go to Duke and Kentucky. 

Unless there is a connection, like father went there, family went there, family living in the area, a relative on the staff, etc., most schools will struggle going up against the blue bloods for 5 stars.

I understand that and it's not like the 5 stars blue bloods are where we're losing commits.  It's that next level impact player that will be here 3 to 4 years we've struggled on.  Other than Goodwin, I can't remember us heavily trying to go up against the blue bloods for someone recently.

Last year alone, we missed out on an African PF choosing Miami, an Iowa PF to Washington, a SF from Dallas with Arkansas ties to Baylor, and Kevaughn Allen to Florida. We've also missed out on Jamal Jones from Searcy, committed quickly after visiting us.  And we missed out on a guy to Virginia Tech, although that is more understandable since he was from Virginia.  Just been a lot of swing and miss in recent years.  I don't expect us to seriously contend for Top 20 prospects we have no ties to right now, but I expect us to have a little more success on that next level prospect.  Kingsley, Whitt and Babb are the only recent battles I can think of us winning for out of state prospects.

mizzouman

Quote from: yraciv on July 29, 2015, 02:32:42 pm
I understand that and it's not like the 5 stars blue bloods are where we're losing commits.  It's that next level impact player that will be here 3 to 4 years we've struggled on.  Other than Goodwin, I can't remember us heavily trying to go up against the blue bloods for someone recently.

Last year alone, we missed out on an African PF choosing Miami, an Iowa PF to Washington, a SF from Dallas with Arkansas ties to Baylor, and Kevaughn Allen to Florida. We've also missed out on Jamal Jones from Searcy, committed quickly after visiting us.  And we missed out on a guy to Virginia Tech, although that is more understandable since he was from Virginia.  Just been a lot of swing and miss in recent years.  I don't expect us to seriously contend for Top 20 prospects we have no ties to right now, but I expect us to have a little more success on that next level prospect.  Kingsley, Whitt and Babb are the only recent battles I can think of us winning for out of state prospects.
Unless you are a blue blood program, you'll have a lot of swing and misses. 

Danny J

Quote from: poloprince on July 28, 2015, 10:52:27 pm

You are being naive. Let's not act as if location does not matter because it does. The fact that there was no practice facility mattered. The programs that are signing a couple 4 stars and a 5 star are the elite fyi. Last I checked it wasn't the coaches decision whether a kid stays or not.
It doesn't matter....good recruiters can recruit...period. CMA is not a good recruiter and nobody on his staff is very good either except for the occasional family member or friend of the family. Are you going to try and tell me that Pearl is going to have a hard time at Auburn? We all know that Auburn, Alabama is the place to go /sarcasm. The same goes for Memphis when Cal arrived. We are getting beat badly by the likes of Kennedy at aTm. Explain that one to me. Now...I agree about the practice facility. That was a big negative for us so no argument there.

Good recruiters can recruit. CMA can coach. He needs to hire a proven recruiter with ties to AAU/summer leagues that I want to know nothing about.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Danny J on July 29, 2015, 03:22:30 pm
It doesn't matter....good recruiters can recruit...period. CMA is not a good recruiter and nobody on his staff is very good either except for the occasional family member or friend of the family. Are you going to try and tell me that Pearl is going to have a hard time at Auburn? We all know that Auburn, Alabama is the place to go /sarcasm. The same goes for Memphis when Cal arrived. We are getting beat badly by the likes of Kennedy at aTm. Explain that one to me. Now...I agree about the practice facility. That was a big negative for us so no argument there.

Good recruiters can recruit. CMA can coach. He needs to hire a proven recruiter with ties to AAU/summer leagues that I want to know nothing about.

That's the thing, though. If we build it back, I want to build it back straight up. Work the AAU circuit? Sure. Jump in the cesspool and get as dirty as the other schools who aren't Duke or Kentucky? No thanks. I'll stick with 20 wins and a first or second round exit.

WarPig88

Quote from: hogsanity on July 29, 2015, 11:47:17 am
But Eddie and Nolan reached their greatest heights here when they did have the cream of the crop. Eddie had the triplets, anchored by Sidney, and Nolan had Corliss.

Sidney wasn't a nationwide recruit.

Why when talk about recruits do so many mix how a player turns out with his status as a recruit.

If we recruited Sidney now, there would be jerks on here complaining about his shot and that he was a project, etc.

Sounds familiar.

JayBell

Quote from: Danny J on July 29, 2015, 03:22:30 pmIt doesn't matter....good recruiters can recruit...period. CMA is not a good recruiter and nobody on his staff is very good either except for the occasional family member or friend of the family. Are you going to try and tell me that Pearl is going to have a hard time at Auburn? We all know that Auburn, Alabama is the place to go /sarcasm. The same goes for Memphis when Cal arrived. We are getting beat badly by the likes of Kennedy at aTm. Explain that one to me. Now...I agree about the practice facility. That was a big negative for us so no argument there.

This is the key point.  A lot of folks are reacting to criticism of Anderson with "this ain't Kentucky!"  Or they compare Arkansas to Duke, Kansas, Ohio State or Louisville.  Nobody expects that to happen anytime soon.

The sad fact is Arkansas has been out-recruited by the likes of LSU, A&M, Alabama, Auburn and Vanderbilt.  I don't even understand how Anderson's staff can be that bad at recruiting after the relative success the last two seasons and just sending two guys to the NBA.

Something has to improve, and soon.  This will be year 5.  Things aren't supposed to be at their worst in year 5 in a program where you can have 50% turnover in one year.  Remember how people hated that two-year pass Nutt got.  Why does Anderson get a pass now?

WilsonHog

Quote from: JayBell on July 29, 2015, 03:33:25 pm
This is the key point.  A lot of folks are reacting to criticism of Anderson with "this ain't Kentucky!"  Or they compare Arkansas to Duke, Kansas, Ohio State or Louisville.  Nobody expects that to happen anytime soon.

The sad fact is Arkansas has been out-recruited by the likes of LSU, A&M, Alabama, Auburn and Vanderbilt.  I don't even understand how Anderson's staff can be that bad at recruiting after the relative success the last two seasons and just sending two guys to the NBA.

Something has to improve, and soon.  This will be year 5.  Things aren't supposed to be at their worst in year 5 in a program where you can have 50% turnover in one year.  Remember how people hated that two-year pass Nutt got.  Why does Anderson get a pass now?

Assuming facts not yet in evidence.

Mike Irwin

Many will disagree, but I know many of my friends in Ark and other states feel this is a major reason the program slid so hard and fast away from a top 10 program. It's my opinion that the damage Nolan heaped on the school pretty much cancelled the good times and success the program had enjoyed under Eddie Sutton and himself.

Another reason is continuing to hire average coaches. Until UA hires an elite coach who also keeps a tight rule on his players as far as classroom and off the court activities, the program will languish and the top recruits will not come to Fayetteville.
That was what, 14 years ago? Recruits these days don't even know about Nolan Richardson. The only place that stuff is still discussed outside of Arkansas is inside the college coaching profession, among some ADs and college administrations.

It doesn't affect recruiting. It does somewhat affect the quality of coaches willing to apply for the basketball job at Arkansas when it's open although that has changed somewhat with the hiring of Jeff Long.

I do think there are still some coaches out there who would shy away from the Arkansas job because of what happened to Nolan.

WarPig88

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on July 29, 2015, 10:29:34 am
Location followed by the demographics within proximity to campus are what are most important in football recruiting.  Basketball recruiting is more about the staff's ability to recruit, relationships with those who influence recruits and a program's brand.

Arizona near metropolitan area.
Duke and UNC are in the 7 most populous state in the union and that area is near Greensboro which has a vibrant african/american population.
Kentucky has a brand and a pop of 350k, Louisville is right there.
Kansas is near Kansas City.

Sorry, but when you look at basketball schools, proximity to a large metro area is a CONSTANT among them. Fayetteville, AR 79K.

NWA isn't exactly a bastion of culture for young African/Americans either.

Regardless of sport, proximity to home is the BIGGEST factor in recruiting. Last time I looked, U of A ain't exactly in a huge area of population.

hogsanity

Quote from: WarPig88 on July 29, 2015, 03:32:49 pm
Sidney wasn't a nationwide recruit.

Why when talk about recruits do so many mix how a player turns out with his status as a recruit.

If we recruited Sidney now, there would be jerks on here complaining about his shot and that he was a project, etc.

Sounds familiar.

Nope, sorry, your diversion is not going to fly this time. Eddie has his greatest success when he had a stud, or two, from in state. Same for Nolan. Does Eddie make the Final 4 without Sidney? Does Nolan win the NC without Corliss?

JayBell

WilsonHog

Quote from: hogsanity on July 29, 2015, 03:56:14 pm
Nope, sorry, your diversion is not going to fly this time. Eddie has his greatest success when he had a stud, or two, from in state. Same for Nolan. Does Eddie make the Final 4 without Sidney? Does Nolan win the NC without Corliss?

Before it becomes a diversion, you're going to need to tell me which schools we beat for Sidney.

hogsanity

Quote from: WarPig88 on July 29, 2015, 03:41:25 pm
Arizona near metropolitan area.
Duke and UNC are in the 7 most populous state in the union and that area is near Greensboro which has a vibrant african/american population.
Kentucky has a brand and a pop of 350k, Louisville is right there.
Kansas is near Kansas City.

Sorry, but when you look at basketball schools, proximity to a large metro area is a CONSTANT among them. Fayetteville, AR 79K.

NWA isn't exactly a bastion of culture for young African/Americans either.

Regardless of sport, proximity to home is the BIGGEST factor in recruiting. Last time I looked, U of A ain't exactly in a huge area of population.

Huery, Lee, Todd, Big O, Scotty, Walker, Robertson, Robinson, Wilson, Bradley all say hello.

WarPig88

Quote from: hogsanity on July 29, 2015, 03:56:14 pm

What does that have to do with recruiting? Isn't that the topic?

In terms of recruiting, Sidney was no big deal then. Corliss was of course. Nolan made the final 4 without an instate stud but 3 McD AA's.

Seems like you are the guy making diversions from the original topic which is "why is recruiting such a struggle here"?

WarPig88

Quote from: hogsanity on July 29, 2015, 03:58:51 pm
Huery, Lee, Todd, Big O, Scotty, Walker, Robertson, Robinson, Wilson, Bradley all say hello.

Kentucky gets more draft picks than you just listed in each class. That is what we are recruiting against and also why you must be having such a hard time grasping the topic.

How many decades did you cover there?

WilsonHog

"Y'all have been blessed to have me come over here and win a National Championship. I have to work ten times harder recruiting kids here than y'all think I do. Ten times. Kids come here because of me. Me. The University of Arkansas ain't got nothing to do with it. Yeah, we've got a gym, and we've got a few fans, but most every school has those. I have to sell them on coming to play for me. I really hope that when I'm gone the next coach will be able to come in here and say, 'Hey, I've got a gym, I've got some fans, come play here.' I hope so. But I'll be surprised. Super surprised." - Nolan Richardson, 1995-96

hogsanity

Quote from: WarPig88 on July 29, 2015, 03:58:55 pm
What does that have to do with recruiting? Isn't that the topic?

In terms of recruiting, Sidney was no big deal then. Corliss was of course. Nolan made the final 4 without an instate stud but 3 McD AA's.

Seems like you are the guy making diversions from the original topic which is "why is recruiting such a struggle here"?

It is only a struggle when they guy in charge is not a great recruiter.  I will admit it takes a great recruiter to get the needed talent to Fayetteville. Above all though, they have to be able to land the top in state kids, especially when those kids are difference makers. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Tom Bennett on July 29, 2015, 04:01:31 pm
"Y'all have been blessed to have me come over here and win a National Championship. I have to work ten times harder recruiting kids here than y'all think I do. Ten times. Kids come here because of me. Me. The University of Arkansas ain't got nothing to do with it. Yeah, we've got a gym, and we've got a few fans, but most every school has those. I have to sell them on coming to play for me. I really hope that when I'm gone the next coach will be able to come in here and say, 'Hey, I've got a gym, I've got some fans, come play here.' I hope so. But I'll be surprised. Super surprised." - Nolan Richardson, 1995-96

This I agree with. Nolan, until later in his tenure, was a GREAT recruiter. Not just of great players, but of good players that he knew he could make into a great team if they bought into what he was teaching. 

hogsanity

Quote from: WarPig88 on July 29, 2015, 04:00:51 pm
Kentucky gets more draft picks than you just listed in each class. That is what we are recruiting against and also why you must be having such a hard time grasping the topic.

How many decades did you cover there?

I just threw out names off the top of my head.  And, as has been said many times, no one is saying we have to recruit with KY.

I would please as could be if Mike would come in the next recruiting class and get 4 solid guards that you knew would be here 4 years. Nothing flashy, just solid ball handlers, decent shooters, and solid defenders. Then build around that.