Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Losing Beard stinks but

Started by Hogsolo, July 25, 2015, 03:01:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogsolo

I don't see this having as big an impact as I first thought.   This is basically going to be a new team either way that has to find chemistry.   

I'm not sure if this team has an impact scorer or the lead dog to take that last shot either way. 

After reflection this is more who's next scenario. 

I'm not sure there is a better choice for basketball coach than CMA either.   

One guy's opinion. 

rzrbackramsfan

Yea beard stinks but I'm not to sad about losing jacorrey.

moses_007

Neither of them are particularly good shooters, and I felt last year that Beard was too short to play his position.

GatorHog

I think (hope) Williams will be big for us next year.  He's quick for a 6'8" player and I like him at the front end of our press.  His shooting is a concern, but he's capable of attacking the rim and knocking down the short J.  I don't think his skill set at both ends of the floor is as easily replaceable as Beard's. 

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: GatorHog on July 25, 2015, 06:14:45 pm
I think (hope) Williams will be big for us next year.  He's quick for a 6'8" player and I like him at the front end of our press.  His shooting is a concern, but he's capable of attacking the rim and knocking down the short J.  I don't think his skill set at both ends of the floor is as easily replaceable as Beard's. 
Plus he throws a mean shoe.  ;)
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

pigture perfect

I was hoping Jacory would have a Nicky Davis type senior year for us.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Kevin

Losing beard would be a big deal   He is a much better point guard than Durham
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Danny J

Quote from: Kevin on July 25, 2015, 07:35:50 pm
Losing beard would be a big deal   He is a much better point guard than Durham
I agree....he and Whitt are the two people we could not afford to lose not only for this year but for next. Beard, on the court, was going to be the floor general we have been missing for a while.

rusvegashog

Beard's our best player. How is losing our best player not a big deal?

Breems

Huge impact. Beard was the only one on the team that we knew could put up some points besides maybe Bell. More importantly, he was a great rebounder for his size and got a lot of loose balls.

This year will be interesting. Our passive guards will be forced to be more assertive. Lotsa 3-point shootin' gon happen.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

choppedporkextrasauce

Since when is a suspension a dismissal. Instead of freaking out take a wait and see approach.

HoustonwehaveaProblem

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on July 25, 2015, 09:18:28 pm
I bet they play this year.

I'll take that bet. Wanna put $20 on jacorey and $50 on beard?

Kevin

I have no idea if they play. But to say if we lose beard is no big deal is just not logical
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

jackflash

If they get to come back? I think it will depend on who makes the call Mike or Long.  If Long makes the call they are probably done. Just my thinking.

choppedporkextrasauce

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: moses_007 on July 25, 2015, 06:04:42 pm
Neither of them are particularly good shooters, and I felt last year that Beard was too short to play his position.
was my concern as well. I'll take a backcourt of Monk/Whitt.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: rusvegashog on July 25, 2015, 08:45:17 pm
Beard's our best player. How is losing our best player not a big deal?
Whitt is our best player.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Big Nasty 34

I sure hope Whitt doesn't realize the pressure most fans have on him to be a star from day 1.

TrueBlue

Quote from: choppedporkextrasauce on July 26, 2015, 11:03:50 am
Mike's call not Longs.

It might be portrayed as CMA's call, but it will be heavily influenced by Long, you can count on that. 

HF#1

The combined loss of Beard, Williams, and Kapita (Even if just for a semester), can't be spun into something positive.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

TexArkHogFan

Quote from: TrueBlue on July 26, 2015, 12:46:52 pm
It might be portrayed as CMA's call, but it will be heavily influenced by Long, you can count on that.
If they are convicted of a felony the call will already be made.
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

jdlittle

Can not play Mike Anderson style ball with 9 players; even though it is not as intense as Nolan's was.   Our defense was not very good last year and i love that we won 27 games!!
If Coach and AD do not agree on the call , the coach will be gone real soon.  And all folks not satisfied with 27 wins are in for a real treat; I will never follow the razorbacks again with a Heath or Pelphrey type in control.   I t   took too much out of razorbacks fans. and we lost our basketball program.  Mike has a part of it back, but dont ever see us being a top 20 program again. 

reddogjcss

Hopefully they are innocent, if not hope they get there hands spanked & community service. They need to tell Police the truth and be helpfull.
They need this to be a life's lesson and make the most of it.
Mike and the gang will get them back on the right track.
I figure they will miss 4-6 games, should cause them to really focus on basketball.
Hopefully I'll be right and all this will play out with little repercussions but I DO WANT THE BASKETBALL PROGRAM TO DO THE RIGHT THING. If they are ring leaders and such they should be kicked off team.

GuvHog

Quote from: jackflash on July 26, 2015, 09:24:35 am
If they get to come back? I think it will depend on who makes the call Mike or Long.  If Long makes the call they are probably done. Just my thinking.

I doubt the call on Beard will be in either of their hands. With the number of charges against him, he's probably looking at prison time.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

King

Quote from: Mao Tse-tusk on July 25, 2015, 10:05:49 pm
I'll take that bet. Wanna put $20 on jacorey and $50 on beard?

Are those Jacory and Anton edition bills?

choppedporkextrasauce

Quote from: GuvHog on July 26, 2015, 05:32:49 pm
I doubt the call on Beard will be in either of their hands. With the number of charges against him, he's probably looking at prison time.
His low bond would suggest otherwise.

Soooie21

If they are guilty of passed fake bills...They will be playing for Prison U...

hogsanity

Seriously? Now some are going to try to act like losing the starting PG, the one who as a FR stabilized the team when he took over the starting role last year, is not really a big deal? Come on people, you don't have to sound the death knell of the program, but at least be honest.  Beard was going to be a very VERY important factor on this upcoming team.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hoglady

Beard is without a doubt our most important returning player.
If the suspension stands and he doesn't play this year it will hurt.
His basketball IQ and on court leadership can't really be replaced. 
There's no sugarcoating that.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hogsanity

Quote from: hoglady on July 27, 2015, 09:41:48 am
Beard is without a doubt our most important returning player.
If the suspension stands and he doesn't play this year it will hurt.
His basketball IQ and on court leadership can't really be replaced. 
There's no sugarcoating that.

I seriously can not believe someone even started this thread. Even more amazing is that some agree with it.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

sowmonella

Quote from: Soooie21 on July 27, 2015, 08:14:35 am

Auburn Lock?
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

-Blu

Quote from: Soooie21 on July 27, 2015, 08:14:35 am

LOL, are you guys serious?  Do people not read or remotely look at information before posting about something?  They haven't even been charged with anything, they were arrested for suspicion.  How in the world do you get a $2500 bond and suspicion and turn it into automatic prison? SMH

They are not going to prison.  These guys had like 300 something dollars combined, JaCorey only had $20. They are not the guys the secret service are looking for.  Most likely scenario is they tell where they got the bills from and never get charged with anything.  Worst case scenario they are looking at is if they do get charged, they cooperate, and get a misdemeanor and probation.  These are college kids with no prior record, they aren't throwing them in the prison on the first stupid thing they do.  Especially Jacorey and Dustin who only had a couple $20 bills.

PonderinHog

Quote from: -Blu on July 27, 2015, 11:25:23 am
LOL, are you guys serious?  Do people not read or remotely look at information before posting about something?  They haven't even been charged with anything, they were arrested for suspicion.  How in the world do you get a $2500 bond and suspicion and turn it into automatic prison? SMH

They are not going to prison.  These guys had like 300 something dollars combined, JaCorey only had $20. They are not the guys the secret service are looking for.  Most likely scenario is they tell where they got the bills from and never get charged with anything.  Worst case scenario they are looking at is if they do get charged, they cooperate, and get a misdemeanor and probation.  These are college kids with no prior record, they aren't throwing them in the prison on the first stupid thing they do.  Especially Jacorey and Dustin who only had a couple $20 bills.
Come on, Blu, get with the program!   >:(

-Blu

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 27, 2015, 11:45:38 am
Come on, Blu, get with the program!   >:(

I know right, let's hang them first then ask questions and gets facts last, that's the jumpball way.

It's sad some people on here are hoping for the worst on 19 year old kids.  Something that's ever more sad, is the guys on this board aren't even the worst.  I was on another board and guys were discussing and accusing them of being drug dealers and on drugs and apparently this counterfeit thing was part of their operation.  Others were discussing how long their prison sentence was going to be, and had them looking at 25 to life.

I don't know if some of these people watch too much cops/law in order or what, but the fact they come on here and seem to be rooting for the worst on 19 year kids is really disturbing.  And I'm not at all trying to say what they did was right or trying to justify it.  I actually think it was really dangerous and stupid.  Make them snitch on whoever gave them the money, suspend them a few games, run them until they can't feel their legs, and put them on some community service.  Guaranteed they won't mess with anymore fake $20 bills after that.

PonderinHog

Quote from: -Blu on July 27, 2015, 01:02:49 pm
I know right, let's hang them first then ask questions and gets facts last, that's the jumpball way.

It's sad some people on here are hoping for the worst on 19 year old kids.  Something that's ever more sad, is the guys on this board aren't even the worst.  I was on another board and guys were discussing and accusing them of being drug dealers and on drugs and apparently this counterfeit thing was part of their operation.  Others were discussing how long their prison sentence was going to be, and had them looking at 25 to life.

I don't know if some of these people watch too much cops/law in order or what, but the fact they come on here and seem to be rooting for the worst on 19 year kids is really disturbing.  And I'm not at all trying to say what they did was right or trying to justify it.  I actually think it was really dangerous and stupid.  Make them snitch on whoever gave them the money, suspend them a few games, run them until they can't feel their legs, and put them on some community service.  Guaranteed they won't mess with anymore fake $20 bills after that.
I think they should be subjected to some form of torture, at the very least.   >:(

TexArkHogFan

I sure be glad when daddy gets home from Vegas and gets this mess straightened out.
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

Hogimus Prime

I figure the three will be suspended, with Beard getting the most games. Kapita will join at semester.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on July 27, 2015, 02:09:12 pm
I figure the three will be suspended, with Beard getting the most games. Kapita will join at semester.

So you think Beard will stay on the team?

I'm not very confident in that, but I do think JaCorey will stay on the team and be suspended the first few games of the season (up to 5 games, I'd guess). Thomas, I think it could go either way (gut feeling). Beard, though? I don't see how it makes it out a Hog.

hogsanity

So much of the legal case depends on what else they find, if they had been passing bills at other places, etc.

Proving things is harder, but just on the surface I find it hard to believe they got their hands on these 20's and 50's and for no apparent reason decided to change them for 100's.

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 27, 2015, 02:18:24 pm

I'm not very confident in that, but I do think JaCorey will stay on the team and be suspended the first few games of the season (up to 5 games, I'd guess). Thomas, I think it could go either way (gut feeling). Beard, though? I don't see how it makes it out a Hog.

I think they'll all end up being on the team, doesn't look like one is going to get punished more than the other, although looks like Beard did the most in this situation.  My guess is unless, more information we don't know about comes out, they'll all hold their stance of not knowing, they'll tell who gave them the money (according to police report they are already cooperated), and no charges will be filed against them.

The tricky part to that is, can they suspend them for games if no charges are filed and they are found to be innocent?  My guess is CMA won't let that go unpunished no matter what the police say.  And he'll just give the good ole "conduct detrimental to the team" punishment and they'll probably miss the first couple of exhibitions and first couple of reg season games.  And he'll have some nice side punishments for them as well. 

TexArkHogFan

Williams could have a plausible reason for having the 20.  He could say I found it in Madden's shoe. 

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 27, 2015, 02:18:24 pm

The fact that all three were bonded out on like $2,500 makes me think it'll just be games suspended.  Thomes would be the most likely to go IMO  due to the fact he's only been in the program a couple of months.

Soooie21

Nobody knows what will happen....But knowing and willing passing fake bills is major felony....they may very well may get off easy for coughing up the money man, but that is not a given.....My guess, like everyone else here, is that if the start singing, they will get probation or a fine or both....

Hawg Red

Quote from: -Blu on July 27, 2015, 02:35:32 pm
I think they'll all end up being on the team, doesn't look like one is going to get punished more than the other, although looks like Beard did the most in this situation.  My guess is unless, more information we don't know about comes out, they'll all hold their stance of not knowing, they'll tell who gave them the money (according to police report they are already cooperated), and no charges will be filed against them.

The tricky part to that is, can they suspend them for games if no charges are filed and they are found to be innocent?  My guess is CMA won't let that go unpunished no matter what the police say.  And he'll just give the good ole "conduct detrimental to the team" punishment and they'll probably miss the first couple of exhibitions and first couple of reg season games.  And he'll have some nice side punishments for them as well.

I don't know, man, Beard is facing nine counts. He exchanged smaller bills for larger ones. He's going to have a lot of explaining to do. His defense of "I didn't know" seems pretty flimsy to me, based on what we know. I don't see it as all 3 being in the same boat. I think Thomas and Williams could be in the same boat, but not Beard. Or maybe the feds don't really care about these kids and just want the person distributing the money. The players best bet is to snitch (legally), but then that opens up amateurism concerns, IMO, with the NCAA.

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 27, 2015, 03:23:37 pm
Or maybe the feds don't really care about these kids and just want the person distributing the money.

You nailed it right here.  This counterfeiting thing has been a statewide issue.  I didn't even think about it until this situation but I was actually in the bank a few weeks ago and it was a guy, I'm assuming business owner, was arguing with the bank manager because apparently he had counterfeit money in his deposit he we making, and he was mad about it, he was trying to get them to give him the money back or reimburse him.  He was making a pretty big scene in the bank about it. But, the manager kept telling him they aren't allowed by law to give it back and had to give it to the secret service.

If they have had a statewide investigation going, I highly doubt they got after the players, unless they suspect they are helping distribute it.  Looking at the low bond they had and really no urgency for the coaches to get back, it doesn't seem like they are really worried about them, they just wanted to know what they knew. 

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 27, 2015, 03:23:37 pmThe players best bet is to snitch (legally), but then that opens up amateurism concerns, IMO, with the NCAA.

Unless it's boosters giving them counterfeit money, then the NCAA isn't going to care.  And I think it's a pretty big stretch to assume a booster is giving out fake money, most boosters are actually going to have real money and not have to resort to counterfeiting, I don't think I've ever heard of a booster counterfeiting.  The most likely scenario it's some shady dude they met that had a hook up on some fake bills. 

Soooie21

July 27, 2015, 05:27:41 pm #45 Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 06:14:35 pm by Soooie21
Is this worst than point shaving...I don't know, but both are a felony...I can't see them back on the team or in school for that matter...If Beard does have 9 counts against him, then he is in deep do do. if he is convicted and found guilty..He will go to prison on shorter years if he sings...

texas tush hog

Quote from: choppedporkextrasauce on July 25, 2015, 08:56:23 pm
Since when is a suspension a dismissal. Instead of freaking out take a wait and see approach.

Totally agree, how quickly some on this board are ready to throw these players(and the Constitution I might add) under the bus. Don't you know recruits are paying attention and opposing coaches are just loving it. Wake up and smell the coffee.

Hawg Red

Quote from: texas tush hog on July 28, 2015, 10:33:37 am
Totally agree, how quickly some on this board are ready to throw these players(and the Constitution I might add) under the bus. Don't you know recruits are paying attention and opposing coaches are just loving it. Wake up and smell the coffee.

Really, reaaaally big over-reach on your part. Lot of assuming and exaggerating.

texas tush hog

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 28, 2015, 10:35:45 am
Really, reaaaally big over-reach on your part. Lot of assuming and exaggerating.

How so? Read the whole thread.

hoglady

Quote from: texas tush hog on July 28, 2015, 10:33:37 am

The standards for them to stay on the team are totally different than what it takes to convict someone. Players are dismissed from teams every year based on arrests alone - long before any court resolution. It could be years before these players court case is resolved.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality