Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I am not trying to be an alarmist, but . . .

Started by WizardofhOgZ, July 22, 2015, 04:51:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gmarv

Quote from: BBsTheMan on July 22, 2015, 11:33:33 pm
Damn guys, step away from the ledge. We just finished a 27 win season and although Hogville has us at 0-4003 next season, we haven't actually played a game yet. Also, here's a newsflash, the 3 involved could easily still get back on the team. Thomas wasn't playing this year anyway, and it's a very real possibility that Beard and Jacorey get back on the team and simply miss a few games. We are a long way from November, lots of wounds can heal between now and then. AND Kapita may very well come and play here in 16-17. I'd hate to be positive and all, but he may be able to spend the year honing his craft and come in as a better overall player.

I swear, you guys (Not necessarily you Wizard) underreact to good news and overreact to bad news.
I am kind of surprised at how low keyed the reaction has been,plus one to all of ya,ll here. I,m in the camp of I hate this for the kids I hate it for mike I hate it for us fans.dear lord let this pass and not set us back to far.

hoglady

This trio will most likely never see the basketball floor again in a Hog uniform.
Unless all charges are dropped (not negotiated down) / they are forever gone.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Tom Bennett on July 23, 2015, 06:27:13 am
Am I "okay" with it? No, not at all. I'd much rather be pre-season top 5, win 30+ games, and make a Final Four run.

I'd also like to be wealthy enough to retire and never have to work again.

Neither is going to happen, and so I'm not going to worry about it too much.

Okay. Would you be ok with CBB going to 1 bowl game in 5 years?

WilsonHog

Quote from: RazorPiggie on July 23, 2015, 07:45:08 am

No, I wouldn't be "okay" with it. Same position holds with Mike and basketball or DVH in baseball.

Let me take the opposite side and get your response.

Like you, I am not okay with it. Not at all.

Having said that, what are you and I going to do about it?

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Tom Bennett on July 23, 2015, 07:59:37 am
No, I wouldn't be "okay" with it. Same position holds with Mike and basketball or DVH in baseball.

Let me take the opposite side and get your response.

Like you, I am not okay with it. Not at all.

Having said that, what are you and I going to do about it?

Well obviously neither of us can do anything about it but this is a message board. I guess I'll stop discussing things related to Hog basketball?

WilsonHog

Quote from: RazorPiggie on July 23, 2015, 08:06:09 am
Well obviously neither of us can do anything about it but this is a message board. I guess I'll stop discussing things related to Hog basketball?

I haven't suggested that. Discuss away.

I just get amused by the conclusion drawn by some people draw that if another poster isn't just as upset as they are the poster is somehow "okay" with the events of yesterday and the potential impact on the program moving forward.

HotlantaHog

Mike has done well everywhere he has been. He has improved Arkansas every year he has been here. This year is shaping up as a disappointment -- expectations are low and I wouldn't be surprised if this team doesn't outperform the now lowered expectations.

Mike is not on the hot seat. He just had a good year here and has turned the ship around. He needs to win the recruiting year -- probably more important than the win-loss record at this point.

The bottom line is Mike is a very good coach. Not elite (yet) but very good. I expect he will be at Arkansas many years. Hogville tends to freak out over any setback, but the longterm trend is still a very clear turnaround with a very bright future.

Arkiebarkie

All sickness is not death: Nolan Richardson

I support CMA!

The_Iceman

Quote from: HotlantaHog on July 23, 2015, 08:09:20 am
Mike has done well everywhere he has been. He has improved Arkansas every year he has been here. This year is shaping up as a disappointment -- expectations are low and I wouldn't be surprised if this team doesn't outperform the now lowered expectations.

Mike is not on the hot seat. He just had a good year here and has turned the ship around. He needs to win the recruiting year -- probably more important than the win-loss record at this point.

The bottom line is Mike is a very good coach. Not elite (yet) but very good. I expect he will be at Arkansas many years. Hogville tends to freak out over any setback, but the longterm trend is still a very clear turnaround with a very bright future.

So lets assume the 2015-2016 is going to be a disaster. The record is 100% Mike's responsibility, as I've explained in another thread. But there is one thing he can do to redeem himself, and that is bring in a loaded 2016 class. Let's assume Anton Beard can't survive the 9 felony counts. Let's also assume Dustin Thomas is able to survive his 1 felony count. Let's look at what is left for the 2016 Roster:

PG: Whitt
SG: Hannahs / Macon
SF: Watkins
PF: Kapita (if he resigns out of prep) / Thomas
C: Kingsley / Thompson

If Watkins remains a walk-on, that gives us 6 more scholarships to use in 2016 (7 if Thomas is kicked off). With a new practice facility and all kinds of playing time available, this class needs to be at least Top 20. Numbers alone will get you pretty high.

Even if he wins 12-16 games next year with a depleted roster, if his recruiting class gets fans excited, like having Monk or some big time recruit lined up, I think he can survive this season. But if that class is mediocre, and filled with projects and JUCO's, it will be tough to keep the support of this fanbase.

Nipsey Mussle

Bowl games aren't the equivalent of NcaaT berths

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Tom Bennett on July 23, 2015, 08:09:14 am
I haven't suggested that. Discuss away.

I just get amused by the conclusion drawn by some people draw that if another poster isn't just as upset as they are the poster is somehow "okay" with the events of yesterday and the potential impact on the program moving forward.

I wouldn't really say I'm upset about the situation with yesterdays events. I actually laughed about it because I know it will be another 3 to 4 years for us to be relevant again. Problem is, in basketball, one recruit/class can take you to the top.

Breems

Quote from: BBsTheMan on July 23, 2015, 08:36:32 am
Bowl games aren't the equivalent of NcaaT berths

Folks that try to compare across sports have already lost their argument.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on July 23, 2015, 12:56:43 am
Since sec tourney where has the good news been that was under reacted on? Seriously down on the roster and recruiting already, today just makes that seem as a paper cut compared to a 77 stitch gash. These are serious charges, we either lose them or we are saddled with being that program! Can you say Florida State?
When did I specify that it was since the SecT? I can choose plenty of examples of underreacting to good news during last season as a whole. Not sure why you need to choose my timeline for me?

HotlantaHog

Here are things I know:
1.   The players who were arrested are presumed innocent until proven guilty. I don't know who did what or why. The idea of these kids printing and passing off counterfeit currency seems a little bit too complicated for typical college kids to dream up or pull off alone -- if they participated, I think there is a good chance someone else put them up to it. Anyway, until you hear their defense, I wouldn't presume they are guilty. Wait and see.
2.   Mike has run a clean program and done everything by the rules. He's upgraded academics and avoided (until these arrests) any embarrassments. I trust he will handle this appropriately.
3.   Mike has done well at UAB, at Mizzou, and at Arkansas. His record at Arkansas has gotten better each year.
4.   In 2015-16, all the players on the floor will have been recruited by Mike, with the goal they can play in his system. That wasn't true in previous years, so it is entirely possible there is a better fit than we have seen.
5.   Expectations are lowered. But it is too early to write off the season as a transitional one. Wait and see.
6.     It is worth supporting the team this year, even if it proves disappointing. Mike's record suggests very good things are ahead for those willing to stay the course.

ChicoHog

July 23, 2015, 09:31:33 am #64 Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 07:30:28 pm by ChicoHog
Quote from: jaredkr on July 22, 2015, 07:34:13 pm
Mike has never been the long term answer to the program. His inability to adjust his coaching style and inability to recruit well doesn't equate to long term success. He was a doing a decent job and a great job as far as PR. I hate to say it because he is as classy as they come, but he isn't better X and O coaching than HDN...but HDN could recruit better
Agree with you except the HDN comment.  He is a great guy, a good role model and has cleaned up the program.  Not his fault these guys made some bad choices.  But IMO he is not a high caliber D1 basketball coach.  Never will be because he's too stubborn to adjust.  Maybe he will this year if we have limited numbers but I doubt it.  Anyway I hope these guys are not guilty.  Shame to throw away your college basketball career on stupid stuff like this.

Hogimus Prime

Chuck Beavers

Quote from: ChicoHog on July 23, 2015, 09:31:33 am
Agree with you except the HDN comment.  He is a great guy, a good role model and has cleaned up the program.  Not his fault these guys made some bad choices.  But IMO he is not a high caliber D! basketball coach.  Never will be because he's too stubborn to adjust.  Maybe he will this year if we have limited numbers but I doubt it.  Anyway I hope these guys are not guilty.  Shame to throw away your college basketball career on stupid stuff like this.
Our Motto Yesterday: "You recruit your own problems."
Our Motto Today: "Not his fault these guys made some bad choices."

Breems

Quote from: Chuck Beavers on July 23, 2015, 10:01:21 am
Our Motto Yesterday: "You recruit your own problems."
Our Motto Today: "Not his fault these guys made some bad choices."

Recruiting your own problems: John Pelphrey
Bad luck: Mike Anderson

The track record is the determiner.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Cartoon Man

Will this hurt our chances with signing Monk?

pignparadise

Quote from: Cartoon Man on July 23, 2015, 10:10:49 am
who knows but it gives him an easy excuse if he was thinking of going elsewhere.
"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"

HotlantaHog

WorfHog

Quote from: Cartoon Man on July 23, 2015, 10:10:49 am

It's looking like an ugly season, he could come in with a big class in 2016 and be viewed as the "hero" of Arkansas basketball.

PonderinHog

Quote from: pignparadise on July 23, 2015, 10:48:56 am
who knows but it gives him an easy excuse if he was thinking of going elsewhere.
Kentucky pays with real money.  NBBD - no brainer business decision.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: HotlantaHog on July 23, 2015, 09:10:03 am
Here are things I know:
1.   The players who were arrested are presumed innocent until proven guilty. I don't know who did what or why. The idea of these kids printing and passing off counterfeit currency seems a little bit too complicated for typical college kids to dream up or pull off alone -- if they participated, I think there is a good chance someone else put them up to it. Anyway, until you hear their defense, I wouldn't presume they are guilty. Wait and see.
2.   Mike has run a clean program and done everything by the rules. He's upgraded academics and avoided (until these arrests) any embarrassments. I trust he will handle this appropriately.
3.   Mike has done well at UAB, at Mizzou, and at Arkansas. His record at Arkansas has gotten better each year.
4.   In 2015-16, all the players on the floor will have been recruited by Mike, with the goal they can play in his system. That wasn't true in previous years, so it is entirely possible there is a better fit than we have seen.
5.   Expectations are lowered. But it is too early to write off the season as a transitional one. Wait and see.
6.     It is worth supporting the team this year, even if it proves disappointing. Mike's record suggests very good things are ahead for those willing to stay the course.

You forgot to include that the players are suspended indefinitely if I read the article correctly.

lrcentral

A bad year is 100% on CMA. It is his job to recruit and Arkasnas compensates him handsomely for it. He has no good will accumulated for tourney runs because Arkansas hasnt had any. We people are happy with good behavior and grades from Arkansas players I assure you that can be had from a coach for much less than the 2 plus million we are paying.

But but but we're are we going to find a coach that makes its to the tourney once every five years and then needs another five to make it again. Uh anywhere and for much less then we are paying now.

Just bite the bullet and offer peanuts to some no name coach. The results will be the same. The worst that can happen is 0 for 5 on tourney appearances instead of 1 for 5. That way ticket prices drop and people will attend again.

GuvHog

Quote from: Slater on July 22, 2015, 10:51:02 pm
The program has improved every season Mike Anderson has been head coach, not sure what people want or realistically expect. This is not good, but Coach Anderson does not need to get abused for this. Mike Anderson is an excellent basketball coach and an even better person, makes me proud to have him as head coach. Hopefully some others feel the same way.

The team HAS improved every season since Mike has been head coach, I agree with that but after years of misery the fans are impatient. Last season was great but as the old saying goes, Mike has built a monster so now he has to feed it. The big money boosters won't tolerate going from 27 wins back to 15 or 16 wins.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hoglady

Quote from: Breems on July 23, 2015, 10:07:02 am

Mike Anderson's players appear to treat him with respect.
That is something Pelphrey never seemed to demand or receive and it showed.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

Kevin

Quote from: lrcentral on July 23, 2015, 12:11:01 pm
A bad year is 100% on CMA. It is his job to recruit and Arkasnas compensates him handsomely for it. He has no good will accumulated for tourney runs because Arkansas hasnt had any. We people are happy with good behavior and grades from Arkansas players I assure you that can be had from a coach for much less than the 2 plus million we are paying.

But but but we're are we going to find a coach that makes its to the tourney once every five years and then needs another five to make it again. Uh anywhere and for much less then we are paying now.

Just bite the bullet and offer peanuts to some no name coach. The results will be the same. The worst that can happen is 0 for 5 on tourney appearances instead of 1 for 5. That way ticket prices drop and people will attend again.

Wow
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

WarPig88

Quote from: WorfHog on July 23, 2015, 10:53:08 am
It's looking like an ugly season, he could come in with a big class in 2016 and be viewed as the "hero" of Arkansas basketball.

If Monk were coming he would already announce it because it would help our recruiting tremendously and that would help him.

He and Marcus know that. It seems he is taking a path that leans more toward a basketball royalty type school that doesn't rely on the recruits to draw others in but their name guarantees a certain level of player.

People need to quit worrying about Monk and just take it as a huge surprise if indeed he does land here.

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: Kevin on July 22, 2015, 09:45:33 pm
Wonder what this thread would look like if our head coach was not mike Anderson. Quite a bit different I bet
What, exactly, are you implying? 
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

Letsroll1200

6-6 Record in football

hoglady

Quote from: Poppa Tart on July 23, 2015, 04:13:10 pm

I would think he meant Mike has built up goodwill with the fans from his years here as an assistant coach - coupled with the fact he cleaned up the academic mess by Pelphrey.

WorfHog

Quote from: WarPig88 on July 23, 2015, 03:10:28 pm
If Monk were coming he would already announce it because it would help our recruiting tremendously and that would help him.

He and Marcus know that. It seems he is taking a path that leans more toward a basketball royalty type school that doesn't rely on the recruits to draw others in but their name guarantees a certain level of player.

People need to quit worrying about Monk and just take it as a huge surprise if indeed he does land here.

I know, you can read my post history on the subject of Monk coming to Arkansas.  I'm just saying he'll be viewed that way if he does come here, might appeal to his ego.  Mike's already told him he'll be the face of the program if he commits to Arkansas. Malik's a tough kid to read and he's playing it close to the vest. 

ChicoHog

Quote from: Breems on July 23, 2015, 10:07:02 am

Recruiting your own problems:  Urban Meyer, Jimbo Fisher, Dennis Erickson, Barry Switzer,  and many more.
Bad luck:  Anderson, Bill Snyder, Lou Holtz, Bob Knight and many, many more. 

hellwonthaveme

There are many people on here who are either drunk, drug addled or having severe mental deficiency..

Mike Anderson could win 2 games next year and 5 the next and his seat will not even begin to warm. Mike is here for the foreseeable future and no amount of wailing will change that. The man just won 27 games.

PRJ

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on July 23, 2015, 04:54:26 pm
6-6 Record in football

Maybe if we played ASUs schedule.

Yeah we won 27 games but we played a total of 3 ranked teams all year I believe. We played twice that many in football.

Kevin

Quote from: Poppa Tart on July 23, 2015, 04:13:10 pm

Implying. If our coach was not an assistant on the national championship team , and many where not caught up in he nostalgia of his return, this board would be in meltdown mode.

The are fans in he mmqb suggesting if cbb does not have a big year he will be on the hot seat.

The hyprocrisy knows no limits for some
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

SexyBeast77

Quote from: Kevin on July 26, 2015, 07:45:29 am
Implying. If our coach was not an assistant on the national championship team , and many where not caught up in he nostalgia of his return, this board would be in meltdown mode.

The are fans in he mmqb suggesting if cbb does not have a big year he will be on the hot seat.

+1000 This

To put it another way, what coach not named Mike Anderson (or Nolan Richardson) could win a probable 12 -16 games in year 5 and have people say that coach can stay as long as he wants? What the hell is that psychotic sentimental "loyalty?"

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Kevin on July 26, 2015, 07:45:29 am

He hasn't  even lost a game this year, but has been tried, convicted as a loser and many statements in this thread imply that a less than awesome season, and he should be gone..

The man has proven himself at numerous stops, for numerous years as an elite coach respected around the country...

You call it hypocrisy when people support their coach against idiots taring and feathering before a game is ever played?

psooie

"Mike Anderson could win 2 games next year and 5 the next and his seat will not even begin to warm. Mike is here for the foreseeable future and no amount of wailing will change that."

That could be the dumbest thing i've ever read on this board. 

WilsonHog

Quote from: psooie on July 26, 2015, 09:28:44 am
"Mike Anderson could win 2 games next year and 5 the next and his seat will not even begin to warm. Mike is here for the foreseeable future and no amount of wailing will change that."

That could be the dumbest thing i've ever read on this board.

I'll put it a little more realistically for you.

If Mike can manage to win 20 games a year, on average, he will be here as long as he wants.

And he will.

Hogsanity has it right, as does PRJ and Kevin.

(Btw, Heath averaged 16.4 wins in five years, Pelphrey 17.25 in four. Mike has averaged 21.5 over four.)

azhog10

This makes me laugh. Going to a bowl game and making the NCAA playoffs aren't equatable. For one you can be .500 or one game over and make. The other you have FBS and FCS schools getting automatics bids, and in all actuality you only have 30ish invitations. Not the 80 like you see in bowl games.

azhog10

Quote from: Dominicanhog on July 26, 2015, 09:24:52 am
He hasn't  even lost a game this year, but has been tried, convicted as a loser and many statements in this thread imply that a less than awesome season, and he should be gone..

The man has proven himself at numerous stops, for numerous years as an elite coach respected around the country...

You call it hypocrisy when people support their coach against idiots taring and feathering before a game is ever played?
Right. I'm glad this thread wasn't allowed to turn into a mike bitch session. Would have hated to see what that would look like.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Porkrind Jimmy on July 25, 2015, 11:35:08 pm
There are many people on here who are either drunk, drug addled or having severe mental deficiency..

Mike Anderson could win 2 games next year and 5 the next and his seat will not even begin to warm. Mike is here for the foreseeable future and no amount of wailing will change that. The man just won 27 games.

PRJ
You are exaggerating for effect but I get your point. Here's the deal. There have been exactly three black head coaches ever at Arkansas and two of them were fired. Jeff Long ain't going to fire the third one unless the basketball program comes totally off the rails.

PRJ understands something else a lot of you don't get. Jeff Long doesn't read message boards and he could not care less about complaints in Hogville's Jump Ball Forum.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 26, 2015, 10:21:52 am
You are exaggerating for effect but I get your point. Here's the deal. There have been exactly three black head coaches ever at Arkansas and two of them were fired. Jeff Long ain't going to fire the third one unless the basketball program comes totally off the rails.

PRJ understands something else a lot of you don't get. Jeff Long doesn't read message boards and he could not care less about complaints in Hogville's Jump Ball Forum.

And history says that with Mike at the helm, "totally off the rails" is not going to happen.

RazorPiggie

So what I'm seeing, most are ok with going to the tourney once every 4 years.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: RazorPiggie on July 26, 2015, 10:57:57 am
So what I'm seeing, most are ok with going to the tourney once every 4 years.
I'm not sure I've seen that. I have seen that most think equating bowls to NcaaT appearances is pretty stupid.

psooie

To be honest, i think this tops the dumbest comment award:

"Jeff Long ain't going to fire the third one unless the basketball program comes totally off the rails."

Race has nothing to do with anything. My view is most likely next season will be a free pass but that is the end of free passes. After next season, got to make the ncaa pretty much every year.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: BBsTheMan on July 26, 2015, 11:39:05 am
I'm not sure I've seen that. I have seen that most think equating bowls to NcaaT appearances is pretty stupid.

Not when you look at how good SEC football is compared to how SEC basketball isn't so good.

It'd be a different story if we played ranked teams week in and week out in basketball. We played 1 ranked SEC team last year I believe. So forgive me for not crowning Anderson the next John Wooden with a 27 win season and 1 tourney bid in 4 seasons. I expect more from our basketball program.

SexyBeast77

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 26, 2015, 10:21:52 am

Mike
  Serious question,  lets say the 3 players in trouble don't make it back and Arkansas wins about 14 games in year 5.  Isn't that "off the rails?" That would put Mike Anderson at 1 tournament appearance in 5 years. Isn't that enough to get fired based on Merit NOT on race? If I had given you that record in 2011 and said the new coach will have this record after 5 years. You might very well have said he'd be looking for another job.
  That is not good enough. It's not about race. It's about he can't get the job done. Most of his failings are in recruiting. Even if they get Monk, that's one player. When we went to the Final Four in 90, 94, and 95 we had a whole team of players. Not one stud and "role players.."