Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Updated: Jacorey Williams, Dustin Thomas, Anton Beard arrested for forgery

Started by GoHogs40, July 22, 2015, 03:16:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogsonHicks

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on July 22, 2015, 07:23:00 pm
No Executive is held accountable for an employees actions outside the company. If an employee under me goes out and murders someone or get a DUI the company can't fire you or make resign.

It's only company related situation.
First, I said nothing about Anderson (or any executive) being fired or resigning. You made that leap.

Second, coaches are held accountable for the actions of their players all the time. Ask Saban, Miles, Fisher, and a host of other coaches if fans, media, and administrators hold them accountable for their player arrest records and general conduct, on and off campus. They get grilled about it all the time.

Again, its individual prerogative to hold Anderson accountable or not.  I'm confident player arrests are a major negative on the performance ledger of a major college coach. Big time winning can at times offset these negative marks. These marks followed by a potentially poor season can be tough to overcome.

Hawgzinbowlz

Hang in there Mike. We're still alive and breathing air.

" GO HOGS "

jry04

Quote from: TejasPete on July 22, 2015, 07:33:38 pm
Anderson is a crappy recruiter. Shows how little depth we have when we are getting transfers from schools most people have never heard of.
It pains me to admit, but we have one of the dumbest fan bases in the country. Really is a shame.

moses_007

I just hope no football team members have any of these counterfeit bills.  I believe passing counterfeit money is a federal offense.

yraciv

Most important....what are the measurables? Well glad you asked!
Jacorey - 6'8, 206
Anton - 6'2, 186
Thomas - 6'8, 221

Quote from: yraciv on July 22, 2015, 07:42:45 pm
Most important....what are the measurables? Well glad you asked!
Jacorey - 6'8, 206
Anton - 6'2, 186
Thomas - 6'8, 221
Beard would need to stand on a huge stack of fake money to be 6'2.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Karma on July 22, 2015, 07:48:25 pm
Beard would need to stand on a huge stack of fake money to be 6'2.

Haha best post yet!!!

Breems

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 22, 2015, 06:02:36 pm
The arrests are not his fault. The 2015-2016 record is 100% his responsibility.

Which is going to be heavily influenced by actions outside his control. Same as every coach, but he got very unlucky.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Breems

It's best if the players are dismissed (assuming reports are true) and then we recover for 2016 onwards.

Losing Mike officially pulls the plug on our life-support. Another failed up-and-comer that we would chase off after 3 years is the alternative. Rooting hard for this 2016 class.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

hoglady

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on July 22, 2015, 07:34:27 pm
I'm not going to excuse the behaviors of three young guys but we are reacting like they have committed a crime that they can't come back from. If these three players get a quality lawyer they can get their charges reduced.

The Razorback program will be alright because the leadership of the Razorback program is in good hands. The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Anton Beard and J. Williams will not start the season off. D. Thomas was never going to be counted on for this season. Beard and Williams will recover from  this situation.

People lose jobs every day over one DUI.
Background checks are routine in hiring -
anything on your record in the area of dishonesty will hamper your job prospects for years to come.
Serious stuff here.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Augustus

Quote from: Porked Tongue on July 22, 2015, 05:06:11 pm
It should be noted, these are the first arrests since MA took over.

I saw this as I was scrolling through, looking for more actual details (as opposed to "the sky is falling...")

Naturally I hate that this situation happened, but I gotta say, I wasn't aware of that fact & it's pretty dang impressive.

Augustus

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on July 22, 2015, 07:34:27 pm
I'm not going to excuse the behaviors of three young guys but we are reacting like they have committed a crime that they can't come back from. If these three players get a quality lawyer they can get their charges reduced.

The Razorback program will be alright because the leadership of the Razorback program is in good hands. The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Anton Beard and J. Williams will not start the season off. D. Thomas was never going to be counted on for this season. Beard and Williams will recover from  this situation.

It sounds like Williams may have the "best" shot at getting charges dropped or at least reduced, from what I've read thus far.

I haven't seen anything mentioned about: "where they in the same store at the same time?"  ...if not, Williams may have an even better defense that could be made.

But, Beard, changing counterfeit $50's for legit $100's? ? ?  Yeah, that's a hard rap to beat.

Omahabound

Quote from: Augustus on July 22, 2015, 08:17:52 pm
I saw this as I was scrolling through, looking for more actual details (as opposed to "the sky is falling...")

Naturally I hate that this situation happened, but I gotta say, I wasn't aware of that fact & it's pretty dang impressive.
How is this impressive? When do kids at Duke get arrested? I'm not comparing us to Duke but I am saying Mike Anderson shouldn't get credit for kids NOT getting arrested, NOR should he get the blame for the dumb crap they did today. I like MA but IMO if he don't go back to the dance this year, I don't care what the circumstances are, that's 4 out of 5 years sitting at home. The program will already be " sit back " if that's the case. And if that is the case, it's time for a change!

Omahabound

Quote from: -Blu on July 22, 2015, 08:30:59 pm
http://www.dukechronicle.com/articles/2015/03/02/rasheed-sulaimon-center-sexual-assault-allegations-prior-dismissal#.VbBDTflVhBc

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/101728/
Your clearly missing my point. Okay, kids get arrested at schools. Coaches can't be with them 24hrs a day. Just like parents can't be with their kids all day. My point is Anderson will and should be held responsible for the state of the program, and overall since he's been here, and especially today....it doesn't look good! Yes we've won more games but still only gone to NCAA once. Stan Heath went 2X in 4 years and got fired.
We WILL NOT make the tournament this year more than likely..that 4/5 years...that's time for a change.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Augustus on July 22, 2015, 08:22:20 pm
It sounds like Williams may have the "best" shot at getting charges dropped or at least reduced, from what I've read thus far.

I haven't seen anything mentioned about: "where they in the same store at the same time?"  ...if not, Williams may have an even better defense that could be made.

But, Beard, changing counterfeit $50's for legit $100's? ? ?  Yeah, that's a hard rap to beat.

I haven't read the reports concerning their charges. Beard was suppose to be a leader on the team! I hope Jacorey is able to recover and play his senior season. Young people make bad mistakes everyday. You can talk to them and support them but they still make bad decisions.

-Blu

Quote from: Augustus on July 22, 2015, 08:22:20 pm

That's what I was thinking.  Williams may be the lone survivor in this situation.  Thomas may not have a leg to stand on with him only being here a couple of months and already getting in trouble.  Beard story is well... hard to sell.  I'm praying for the best for all 3, We all have made stupid decisions when we were younger, although counterfeiting is nothing light, I just hope doing something stupid like this won't ruin their entire life.

Best case scenario they get charges dropped on them and cooperate with the police department on who was making the bills, they get suspended for some games, and they never do anything this stupid again.

Augustus

Quote from: Omahabound on July 22, 2015, 08:23:01 pm
How is this impressive? When do kids at Duke get arrested? I'm not comparing us to Duke but I am saying Mike Anderson shouldn't get credit for kids NOT getting arrested, NOR should he get the blame for the dumb crap they did today. I like MA but IMO if he don't go back to the dance this year, I don't care what the circumstances are, that's 4 out of 5 years sitting at home. The program will already be " sit back " if that's the case. And if that is the case, it's time for a change!

Well there's this:
http://www.dukechronicle.com/articles/2015/03/02/rasheed-sulaimon-center-sexual-assault-allegations-prior-dismissal#.VbBDobNViko

And, yes, MA should get credit for no arrests for nearly 4 years. You have to remember these are college kids, who like the rest of us, make stupid decisions.

No DUI's, no weed charges? I'm not sure how old you are or whether you went to college, but to keep those type of arrests to ZERO for 4 years... yes, it's impressive.

Mick Hogger

Wow. Stan Heath had one of the top programs in the country and had hit a wall with his progress. His resulting history bears this out.

Mike took over a dumpster fire and got it back to heights it wasn't seeing since the mid 90s. And I agree, Beard may be the only casualty because the 9 counts vs 1 or 2 is very damning.
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

Augustus

Quote from: -Blu on July 22, 2015, 08:39:23 pm
That's what I was thinking.  Williams may be the lone survivor in this situation.  Thomas may not have a leg to stand on with him only being here a couple of months and already getting in trouble.  Beard story is well... hard to sell.  I'm praying for the best for all 3, We all have made stupid decisions when we were younger, although counterfeiting is nothing light, I just hope doing something stupid like this won't ruin their entire life.

Best case scenario they get charges dropped on them and cooperate with the police department on who was making the bills, they get suspended for some games, and they never do anything this stupid again.

My concern (question) with your statement above is... if they cooperate with police, and say who made the bills...

Then, obviously they were given money... then doesn't our program also then have to  self-impose sanctions, to the NCAA? (Or, the NCAA comes in to investigate?)

-Blu

Quote from: Omahabound on July 22, 2015, 08:34:39 pm
Your clearly missing my point. Okay, kids get arrested at schools. Coaches can't be with them 24hrs a day. Just like parents can't be with their kids all day. My point is Anderson will and should be held responsible for the state of the program, and overall since he's been here, and especially today....it doesn't look good! Yes we've won more games but still only gone to NCAA once. Stan Heath went 2X in 4 years and got fired.
We WILL NOT make the tournament this year more than likely..that 4/5 years...that's time for a change.

I can't front, when I first heard the news I said we should throw away next season.  And I still think unless this matter resolves it's going to be a very rough season.  However, you said overall the program hasn't looked good under Anderson and that's not true at all. Kids have been graduating, good APR, improvement in record every year, best season in 20 years, attendance growing, and putting kids in the NBA.  Obviously we took a step back today, but 1 setback can't eliminate all the good he's done, especially since we haven't played a game yet next season.

And as far as Heath I actually thought Heath should have got 1 more year to see what he could do with his seniors, however APR was getting bad and he wasn't getting good attendance numbers, so I can understand the change.  And CMA is a better coach than Stan Heath, you do a side by side comparison of their resumes and it's not even debatable. 

farmhawg

Quote from: -Blu on July 22, 2015, 08:39:23 pm

They stole. Pure and simple but everyone thinks it was just a mistake young people do. Bunch of hogwash. They need to be kicked out and not be allowed to step foot in BW again.

Since when has it become ok in our society that theft is not a crime? Good grief.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

-Blu

Quote from: Augustus on July 22, 2015, 08:45:50 pm
My concern (question) with your statement above is... if they cooperate with police, and say who made the bills...

Then, obviously they were given money... then doesn't our program also then have to  self-impose sanctions, to the NCAA? (Or, the NCAA comes in to investigate?)

If it was a booster or someone associated with the school, then yea we got a serious problem.  If it's some shady dude they met on Dickson St, they were hanging with and he was making some counterfeit money or passing along counterfeit money to them, then I seriously doubt the NCAA would look into the situation, they would let the local authorities handle it.

-Blu

Quote from: farmhawg on July 22, 2015, 08:49:45 pm
They stole. Pure and simple but everyone thinks it was just a mistake young people do. Bunch of hogwash. They need to be kicked out and not be allowed to step foot in BW again.

Since when has it become ok in our society that theft is not a crime? Good grief.

My bad Mr. Perfect didn't know you never did anything stupid.  Here's your stone, go ahead and cast away!  Obviously you know the whole story and already had your trial and convicted them to banishment from UofA for eternity.

Wayne Watson

Quote from: Omahabound on July 22, 2015, 08:34:39 pm

BS. These athletes are adults. MA is not in any situation where his job is in trouble.  Maybe you should go root for Heath.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

Razorback_Mack

I'm pretty sure they're entitled to due process. Farmhog is judge, jury, and executioner. He wants to trot them to the gallows and see them swing from the hangmans noose because he read an article on the internet or watched the 5 o'clock news. Not smart my friend. Johnny law has been known to be wrong. Johnny law is not God.

WarPig88

We don't know all the facts yet. I can think of several football players who stole and played here anyway.

I can't recall Nolan ever letting anyone other than Ron Huery survive a criminal offense though. I would be surprised if any of these guys ever play here again if they plea out.

Calm down. MA is a man of high character whether you have faith in his coaching ability or not. He will do the right thing, but right now it isn't apparent what exactly that will be.

Augustus

They haven't been convicted of anything, yet.

Danny J

Quote from: -Blu on July 22, 2015, 08:49:01 pm
I can't front, when I first heard the news I said we should throw away next season.  And I still think unless this matter resolves it's going to be a very rough season. 
Was going to be rough, compared to last season anyways, even if this never happened and Kapita made it to campus and was relatively healthy. I thought we would be lucky to win 20....very lucky. This simply means, even if Williams is cleared he is a senior anyways, that we are going to have to recruit very hard to replace Beard plus add all the players we were looking to sign anyways. Glad we have Whitt and glad we have Macon committed. Those two are going to be a huge factor for the 2016-2017 season.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: Augustus on July 22, 2015, 09:05:48 pm
They haven't been convicted of anything, yet.
Andy Dufrane got convicted and didn't do a thing except get slammed and throw his gun into the royal river. I'm gonna learn you folks.

Razorback_Mack

IF they are guilty they should come clean and Rat. IF they or anybody they're around has any sense whatsoever that's what they'll do.

razortv

Kevin

If these guys have never been in trouble, behind the scenes, then the arrest is not on the staff.  But, kapita's academic situation is on them. 

We could be looking at playing next year with 8 scholarship players

Maybe hdn can sell cma, his two year pass.  Just kidding.

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

YIKES

MA may not get a chance to let them back on the team. They may be playing for Rick Vaughn's alma mater, the California Penal League.
"When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you." Nietzsche

dsgreen

Beard is boned.  He is facing nine counts of forgery which are 5-20 years each.  Best case scenario he can serve them concurrently and luck out with only five years.

razorbacker3

GalaHawg

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on July 22, 2015, 06:55:55 pm
I think they are.

But then that leads to the bigger question of where they got the money.

Not sure I or the U of A want to know the answer to that.

Yep --- This may just be the tip of the iceberg :(

Those kids are not sophisticated enough to forge USDs. Someone handed it to them... Which means there may be others with their pockets full of monopoly money. At this point, I hope it is just limited to the basketball program.

Psychohog

I hate this for these kids, but how do they not get sentenced to the Federal Pen if found guilty?
Never smarten up a chump.

moses_007

Quote from: dsgreen on July 22, 2015, 09:47:37 pm
Beard is boned.  He is facing nine counts of forgery which are 5-20 years each.  Best case scenario he can serve them concurrently and luck out with only five years.
His basketball playing days are most likely over.

HAM ELLIOT

I wonder if its John Calipari passing the fake bucks to our kids...  Hmmmm

moses_007

Quote from: HAM ELLIOT on July 22, 2015, 10:45:56 pm
Perhaps an Auburn booster.

WarPig88

Quote from: dsgreen on July 22, 2015, 09:47:37 pm

I heard a lawyer on the radio today who would beg to differ with you on this. He seems to think that they can plea these down to Class C felonies and only get probation.

I think that they would still be gone from our program, but you may be getting a little ahead of yourself here.

He also was familiar with the investigation to a small degree and said that this was a statewide sting and not merely some isolated incident. He figured this would allow them some leverage to plea bargain with if they can provide some info on people up the chain from them.

onebadrubi

Quote from: HAM ELLIOT on July 22, 2015, 10:45:56 pm

Nope they use real long wheel base tens there

Veritas Arkansas

Quote from: WarPig88 on July 22, 2015, 10:49:39 pm
I heard a lawyer on the radio today who would beg to differ with you on this. He seems to think that they can plea these down to Class C felonies and only get probation.

I think that they would still be gone from our program, but you may be getting a little ahead of yourself here.

He also was familiar with the investigation to a small degree and said that this was a statewide sting and not merely some isolated incident. He figured this would allow them some leverage to plea bargain with if they can provide some info on people up the chain from them.

You can also get probation on a class B felony.
Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 02, 2017, 03:02:35 pm
I like to refer to myself as a bigot.  I have every right to be.

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on October 06, 2017, 01:23:52 pm
White Nationalists aren't any more evil than homosexuals.

moses_007

Quote from: WarPig88 on July 22, 2015, 10:49:39 pm
I think that they would still be gone from our program..
Absolutely, and kicked out of the university as well. 

HAM ELLIOT

pigture perfect

If they are suspended indefinitely from the team, can mike make them run bleachers and hills til they puke?
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

The Boar War

Quote from: GalaHawg on July 22, 2015, 10:11:26 pm
Yep --- This may just be the tip of the iceberg :(

Those kids are not sophisticated enough to forge USDs. Someone handed it to them... Which means there may be others with their pockets full of monopoly money. At this point, I hope it is just limited to the basketball program.

Even if the worst case scenario unfolds and football, baseball, and basketball players get caught with this cash we can still claim we weren't really paying them. 

Arazorbackguy1

I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

sickboy