Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Updated: Jacorey Williams, Dustin Thomas, Anton Beard arrested for forgery

Started by GoHogs40, July 22, 2015, 03:16:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Blutoblutarsky

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on July 22, 2015, 05:12:09 pm
Maybe they are aspiring artists and it was for a summer school project. 

Wasn't Waka offering to pay someone $50k/year just to handle his 'tobacco products?' Hell, that's better than working for Walmart.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

1 hog n eldo

Why did they not just borrow some money off portis? He has some real $$$....

william.lane123

If that CBS report is true, these young men are in trouble!!

HogsonHicks

Quote from: Breems on July 22, 2015, 04:47:59 pm
He is responsible for the supposed crimes committed by these 3 players?

Anderson is the well paid CEO of a major brand in Razorback basketball. Three of his thirteen players were arrested for a potentially serious offense, not merely partying and "boys being boys" nonsense, thus impacting said brand.

Like it or not, he does have a least partial culpability.

Hogz87

Quote from: rhames on July 22, 2015, 03:48:05 pm

No chance. This season he will be given a pass

He will have to recruit his butt off though
Which definitely isn't a strong suit of his.  I hate it for MA, but I'm much more inclined to believe he won't survive this than I am to believe he will survive this.  Unless he all of a sudden turns into a dynamite recruiter, his days as our head coach are probably numbered.

checkraiser88

Beards is facing 9 counts of forgery, Thomas with 2 counts, Williams with 1.

Any Lawyers on this board?

novack2

Quote from: checkraiser88 on July 22, 2015, 05:31:36 pm
Beards is facing 9 counts of forgery, Thomas with 2 counts, Williams with 1.

Any Lawyers on this board?

In Arkansas, the punishment for forgery depends on the nature of the written instrument. A person commits first degree forgery when the written instrument is money, a security (such as a stock or bond), a postage stamp, or any other document of value issued by the government.

Forgery in the first degree is a Class B felony. The sentence for a Class B felony is five to 20 years in prison and a fine of up to $15,000.

WorfHog

Quote from: TheRazorback500 on July 22, 2015, 05:19:58 pm
You know, these kids are counseled on everything from drugs and alcohol, cheating and other academic no-no's, how to treat women, etc. but I wonder if these types of things are even brought up in the meetings and orientation sessions. I guess they need to be.

I was having a good day until I heard about Kapita and now this. Ugh.

:razorback:

Today is my birthday...I'm off to Fossil Cove to drink away the feelings.

Huds_HawgTide

Give 5 game suspensions and make em run the hill over and over
"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

NLRHog92

Hollywood_HOGan45

I love Coach Anderson but this will be very tough to recover from.

That's all Arkansas basketball needs is another rebuilding project. We've been rebuilding for two decades it seems.

Lanny

How anyone can blame today's events on Anderson is beyond me.  Let's wait and see what happens before declaring this season a loss.
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Redbug

Quote from: Porked Tongue on July 22, 2015, 05:06:11 pm
It should be noted, these are the first arrests since MA took over.
yeah...but boy is this a DOOSEY...

TheRazorback500

Quote from: WorfHog on July 22, 2015, 05:37:48 pm
Today is my birthday...I'm off to Fossil Cove to drink away the feelings.

Me too, if it wasn't Wednesday night. Happy birthday, anyhoo.

:razorback:
Do you wanna get Rocked?

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: Lanny on July 22, 2015, 05:52:14 pm
How anyone can blame today's events on Anderson is beyond me.  Let's wait and see what happens before declaring this season a loss.

How can you NOT? He recruited them, he sees them every day. If the head coach cant get it across to kids that their future careers, lives even, are more important than a few $20s.... who the hell is it on?

Danny J

This is on those three....not CMA.

Here is the deal....we were going to have a mediocre season this year regardless. Even if Kapita made it and those three weren't in trouble....mediocre. This just makes it less than mediocre. Just have to wait to see how this all shakes out. We have no idea the evidence against these guys only the charges they were arrested on. Really need to wait and see.

TNhawgfan

I feel worse about young men screwing up their lives than coach's wins and losses
And if true, beard screwed up royally
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

Tusks

Which head basketball coach in the big 10 can long pull this time?
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

The_Iceman

Quote from: Lanny on July 22, 2015, 05:52:14 pm

The arrests are not his fault. The 2015-2016 record is 100% his responsibility.

Boardon Hamsay

Wasn't Bubba Hog in law school? Anyone know if he finally graduated and passed the bar in AR?
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

hobhog

TebowHater

MrKnowItAll

http://www.nwaonline.com/news/2015/jul/22/two-hogs-arrested-forgery/?breaking

MOD EDIT:  Link is okay.  Don't copy and paste copyrighted material.  Thanks.

secfan30

Quote from: HogsonHicks on July 22, 2015, 05:26:58 pm
Anderson is the well paid CEO of a major brand in Razorback basketball. Three of his thirteen players were arrested for a potentially serious offense, not merely partying and "boys being boys" nonsense, thus impacting said brand.

Like it or not, he does have a least partial culpability.

Blaming any leader for the actions of his subordinates when they are not in his presence is asinine. His handling of the situation is how he needs to be judged.

If these three had behavior issues and he still recruited them, then you could question him on recruiting known problems.

hogs25

Quote from: MrKnowItAll on July 22, 2015, 06:22:56 pm
http://www.nwaonline.com/news/2015/jul/22/two-hogs-arrested-forgery/?breaking

The arrests stem from a two-month Fayetteville police investigation into counterfeit money being used at businesses in the city. According to an arrest report, all three were caught by surveillance cameras while using counterfeit bills at three different locations in Fayetteville last Friday and Saturday.

Beard and Thomas bought tobacco with counterfeit $20 bills, according to the report. Williams was also shown purchasing merchandise with a counterfeit $20 bill, according to the report.

Beard used four counterfeit $20 bills to make purchases at three different locations near the University of Arkansas campus, according to the report. Beard also exchanged six counterfeit $50 bills for three $100 bills at one of the locations, the report stated.

All three were summoned to the Fayetteville Police Department on Wednesday and were cooperative, according to police. All denied knowingly using counterfeit money.

According to a university release, all three players have been indefinitely suspended from the Razorbacks' basketball team

What business would or has the change to exchange 6 50's for three Benjamin's?  A liquor store is the only place I could think of some drug stores carry large amounts of cash but any person attempting this exchange would be suspious.  BTW a 50 dollar bill is the bad luck bill.

husker71

I have been involved in several counterfeit money cases. The biggest one was Derby weekend 1983 in Hot Springs.  I was working at the Arlington and in came several secret service agents looking for $100 bills.  We had to empty our drawers of $100 bills and I assume they turned them over to the secret service for inspection but you can imagine how many hundred dollar bills we were getting then.  Mostly cash at all our bars and restaurants not many credit cards then and no debit cards.  Anyway this was all because Billy Cannon former Heisman winner and pro football player was involved in a BIG counterfeit operation and they were sure Hot Springs on Derby weekend would be the place to pass them.  The 2nd time was in Las Vegas back in the late 90s and we got hit with a  bunch of bad 20s but luckily we caught it early and we were writing the guests room number on every big bill using a counterfeit detector pen.  Next we went to blacklight to look at bills, drivers licenses and even credit cards.  I don't know what they use these days for detection

hoglady

Well - I hate this for the basketball program, but I especially hate this for these young men.
They have put in jeopardy their entire future and I'm not talking about basketball.
Just such a stupid, stupid. stupid thing to do.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

The_Iceman

Nipsey Mussle

This would kill our team and make it an especially painful 15'-16' season, but I say we kick all of their asses off the team for good (if they are proven to have done this). If true, this isn't poor impulse control, it's making a conscious choice to do something very criminal and very stupid.

HogsonHicks

Quote from: secfan30 on July 22, 2015, 06:36:50 pm
Blaming any leader for the actions of his subordinates when they are not in his presence is asinine. His handling of the situation is how he needs to be judged.

If these three had behavior issues and he still recruited them, then you could question him on recruiting known problems.

It happens every day, my friend. Your response simply illustrates your lack of awareness.

poloprince

This is definitely disturbing and I hate it for the players.  It's just a poor decision of the worst kind. I hope for a happy ending for these guys, but man this is too hard to shallow right now.  :razorback:  :-[
$PoLoPrInCe$

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Blutoblutarsky on July 22, 2015, 05:21:29 pm
Can they use the "didn't know it was fake excuse"? 

I think they are.

But then that leads to the bigger question of where they got the money.

Not sure I or the U of A want to know the answer to that.

TeufelHog

The old adage holds true . . . I guess you really do recruit your own problems.  OBTW, Jeff Long better check the other programs.  Counterfeit $20's better not be showing up in football, baseball, track programs as well . . .

TebowHater

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on July 22, 2015, 06:55:55 pm
I think they are.

But then that leads to the bigger question of where they got the money.

Not sure I or the U of A want to know the answer to that.

Exactly. Might almost be better for the program for them to have known. :/

secfan30

Quote from: HogsonHicks on July 22, 2015, 06:50:14 pm
It happens every day, my friend. Your response simply illustrates your lack of awareness.

I work for a huge company with many people below me and above me. The only instances where I have seen a leader disciplined for a subordinates actions, was because of the leaders prior knowledge, or the lack of reaction/accountability. So no, there is not a lack of awareness.

hoghappy

Counterfeiting usually involves the Feds. (Who are notoriously slow) I don't see them being ready for preseason practices. This will not be pretty if so.

poloprince

Quote from: hobhog on July 22, 2015, 06:18:28 pm
Coach B says you recruit your own problems.....

Why do I get the feeling that you say this as if it was some untold secret? 
$PoLoPrInCe$

HogsonHicks

Quote from: secfan30 on July 22, 2015, 06:58:50 pm
I work for a huge company with many people below me and above me. The only instances where I have seen a leader disciplined for a subordinates actions, was because of the leaders prior knowledge, or the lack of reaction/accountability. So no, there is not a lack of awareness.

Who said anything about disciplining Anderson?  I said culpable. Executives are held accountable for the actions of their employees every single day. You're incredibly out of touch if you believe otherwise.

In this case, I'm not advocating discipline for Anderson. I am saying he's likely being held accountable for the actions of his players.  It's part of being a high level coach at a major college program.

onebadrubi

Is it to early to say Jokes?  I mean what else can we do?  It's stupid to the nth degree.  Anderson will now have to have his best coaching year to save any face to next years record.  But, realistically, there is only one way to go and that's up!  See in this thread exactly why.  People think the season is over and that puts him in the corner with his back against a wall. 

At least no one can accuse us of paying players with real money like ole miss, auburn, and kentucky.

Hawg Red

You can't really blame Anderson for this because he has a rep for bringing in good kids, at least at Arkansas (I can think one of exception, though), but at the same time, he brought them and he has to account for that on some level. I think anyone reasonable understands it's not the best of looks for Mike and his program, but it's still an isolated incident. None of those players struck me as bad kids but what they did was serious and really, really dumb. For the life of me, I just can't grasp why these college athletes with so much to lose can't make it a point to stay away from trouble.

Dick Swineberg

I've been wanting to see Skipper on the basketball court. Maybe I'll get the chance now!

HogsonHicks

Quote from: Dick Swineberg on July 22, 2015, 07:17:26 pm
I've been wanting to see Skipper on the basketball court. Maybe I'll get the chance now!

Now that would certainly generate some interest!  A Skipper/Tretola frontcourt would be fun to watch.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: HogsonHicks on July 22, 2015, 06:50:14 pm

No Executive is held accountable for an employees actions outside the company. If an employee under me goes out and murders someone or get a DUI the company can't fire you or make resign.

It's only company related situation.

HoustonwehaveaProblem

HOGINTENNESSEE

ricepig

Quote from: Mao Tse-tusk on July 22, 2015, 07:27:07 pm
I'll bet $20 that these guys regret doing this

I'll take that bet, but you'll have to change my $50, first.

poloprince

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 22, 2015, 07:16:24 pm
You can't really blame Anderson for this because he has a rep for bringing in good kids, at least at Arkansas (I can think one of exception, though), but at the same time, he brought them and he has to account for that on some level. I think anyone reasonable understands it's not the best of looks for Mike and his program, but it's still an isolated incident. None of those players struck me as bad kids but what they did was serious and really, really dumb. For the life of me, I just can't grasp why these college athletes with so much to lose can't make it a point to stay away from trouble.

If they started circulating in May and they used them in July that means they aren't the only one with them. This has the sounds of a sting operation and a setup. They are exchanging large bills, obviously without using a dri-Mark pen. They made the wrong decision and they won't be back.
$PoLoPrInCe$

HOGINTENNESSEE

Letsroll1200

I'm not going to excuse the behaviors of three young guys but we are reacting like they have committed a crime that they can't come back from. If these three players get a quality lawyer they can get their charges reduced.

The Razorback program will be alright because the leadership of the Razorback program is in good hands. The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Anton Beard and J. Williams will not start the season off. D. Thomas was never going to be counted on for this season. Beard and Williams will recover from  this situation.