Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

anything new on kapita?

Started by makiavelli, July 14, 2015, 12:28:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Huds_HawgTide

Does this mean he didnt qualify or just a choice he made
"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

jackflash

We took a shot on a kid and looks like its not going to work out.  A lot of school do this.  The only think we can do now is move on and learn from this. We recruit are own problems.

WarPig88

Didn't Dayton end up having a good season after a ton of bricks fell on them last year?

I realize that today was an enormous setback, but as a fan, I am not going to give in to despair until real game time results roll in.

Until then, I am hoping for the best.

-Blu

Quote from: WarPig88 on July 22, 2015, 08:00:52 pm
Didn't Dayton end up having a good season after a ton of bricks fell on them last year?

I realize that today was an enormous setback, but as a fan, I am not going to give in to despair until real game time results roll in.

Until then, I am hoping for the best.

That is true, Dayton lost a lot more than we did and still had a respectable season.  Only thing though the A10 last year was weaker than normal and the SEC should be stronger than normal this year.

I'm hoping their is something to salvage from Beard and Williams.  Hopefully they can get the charges dropped, get suspended a few games, and we bounce back from this situation.

HogsonHicks

We turn loose Whitt, Bell, Hannahs, and Durham to shoot from deep and run, run, run. We then depend on Kingsley, Miles, Thompson, Watkins, and Kouasi to defend, scrap, and rebound.

It'll be a Bad News Bears collection of talent, and we have our own Kelly Leak (Whitt) in the backcourt.

Kevin

Quote from: BBsTheMan on July 22, 2015, 07:22:46 pm
Uhhhh because he wasn't Kapita's tutor and he doesn't have a psychic to inform him when 3 players with clean records will do something outrageously stupid?

I don't put the three players getting arrested on the staff.

But, the academic situation kapita is in, is all on the staff. 

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

WarPig88

Quote from: Kevin on July 22, 2015, 09:18:59 pm

So now it's an "academic" issue instead of paperwork issue? He has the grades and test score. It's simply an issue of getting official records in time, but to the uninitiated on this subject, you are leading them to believe the kid is a bad student. Very clever.

Seriously, do you think of the bible quote you have under name when you twist stuff up like this and try to foment turmoil in here?

You are so clever with your haterade flavoring.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: WarPig88 on July 22, 2015, 10:59:15 pm
So now it's an "academic" issue instead of paperwork issue? He has the grades and test score. It's simply an issue of getting official records in time, but to the uninitiated on this subject, you are leading them to believe the kid is a bad student. Very clever.

Seriously, do you think of the bible quote you have under name when you twist stuff up like this and try to foment turmoil in here?

Personally, I prefer a concoction of the 'haterade' and the 'Kool-Aid' the Anderson apologists are always serving. Mixing that drink will give about the right taste.

Nipsey Mussle

So Kapita having paperwork, grades, whatever is "all on the staff"? None of it is on Kapita or those close to him, or those involved in the processing of this paperwork/test scores, etc?

So, did you take time to congratulate the staff on all players that are academically eligible? Since it is 100% on them and all, according to you. Oh no, you just poo poo on them when there's an issue in getting a player cleared?

hawginbigd1

I guess the fairy godmother is responsible for doing proper due diligence on recruits! Thread a couple weeks ago talking about not being irrational on both sides! This is irrational.

RazorPiggie

I agree. What's the saying "cross all your t's and dot your i's?" Staff should have made sure he had all his "paperwork" issues put to bed.

maxhog5

Quote from: BBsTheMan on July 22, 2015, 07:22:46 pm
Uhhhh because he wasn't Kapita's tutor and he doesn't have a psychic to inform him when 3 players with clean records will do something outrageously stupid?

When you are the guy in charge, you are always responsible whether head basketball coach at Arkansas or running the local Jiffy Lube.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: maxhog5 on July 23, 2015, 07:52:16 am
When you are the guy in charge, you are always responsible whether head basketball coach at Arkansas or running the local Jiffy Lube.

Shhhhhh.  Not kosher.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

mizzouman

Why is everyone wanting to blame someone for this?  What if it's no one's fault?  What if both Kapita and CMA thought Kapita would be eligible and but something out their control creeped up?

Kapita isn't from the US so just about anything could have happened that's outside of anyone's control and that could have just recently come up. 

No one knows.  Just chalk it up on missing a recruit and move on.

Hogimus Prime

Sucks.  What are the odds Kapita stats committed to the Hogs?

jry04

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on July 23, 2015, 08:39:35 am
Sucks.  What are the odds Kapita stats committed to the Hogs?
He said he plans on remaining committed and making it co campus asap, but we will see. That never seems to be the case.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: mizzouman on July 23, 2015, 08:02:33 am
Why is everyone wanting to blame someone for this?  What if it's no one's fault?  What if both Kapita and CMA thought Kapita would be eligible and but something out their control creeped up?

Kapita isn't from the US so just about anything could have happened that's outside of anyone's control and that could have just recently come up. 

No one knows.  Just chalk it up on missing a recruit and move on.

There are several of players that aren't from the US that sign every year. We have one on the team right now.

WilsonHog

Quote from: RazorPiggie on July 23, 2015, 08:43:38 am
There are several of players that aren't from the US that sign every year. We have one on the team right now.

Certainly we do; that doesn't change the guy's point, though. Sometimes things happen that could have been controlled; sometimes things happen that could not have been controlled. I don't have enough information on Kapita's situation to know which one this is. I could jump to a conclusion, but I see no need.

Jim Harris

Quote from: jackflash on July 22, 2015, 07:55:49 pm
We took a shot on a kid and looks like its not going to work out.  A lot of school do this.  The only think we can do now is move on and learn from this. We recruit are own problems.

I'd be OK with Arkansas taking a chance on Kapita and it not working out if MA and staff had recruited a few others outside of Whitt. Instead, by only getting Whitt and Kapita (and pulling in Kouassi and his 4 pts per game late), it looks like a complete recruiting fail. You had two players you were certain to have to replace, you had to be naive to think Portis would be coming back, and you had to know in workouts the past year that Miles (on campus two years) and Thompson weren't starters in the SEC.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

mizzouman

Quote from: RazorPiggie on July 23, 2015, 08:43:38 am
I know, but so?  This happens often with foreign players.  It's a risk, but I'm sure CMA thought he would be eligible
Quote from: Tom Bennett on July 23, 2015, 08:46:10 am
Certainly we do; that doesn't change the guy's point, though. Sometimes things happen that could have been controlled; sometimes things happen that could not have been controlled. I don't have enough information on Kapita's situation to know which one this is. I could jump to a conclusion, but I see no need.
This is my point.

Redbug

Quote from: RazorPiggie on July 23, 2015, 01:22:27 am
I agree. What's the saying "cross all your t's and dot your i's?" Staff should have made sure he had all his "paperwork" issues put to bed.
THIS^^^^

When you go in knowing the recruit is from a foreign country and has only been here a couple of years and has already bounced to a couple of different schools and is currently in "Prep school" would you not make sure all the paperwork is IN HAND and even contact the clearinghouse and ASK if anything else is needed...before waiting till weeks before fall semester. Do they not have numerous WELL PAID people on staff to follow-up and do your due diligence as someone stated in a post above. I know it must be next to impossible to keep up with a WHOPPING (maximum of) THIRTEEN possible scholarship athletes and a few walk-ons ....smh....

This situation sounds more like "whistling while walking thru the graveyard" putting the "TOP 50/70 recruit hype out there to attempt to calm the naysayers while caught with their pants down around their ankles from recruiting failure.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: mizzouman on July 23, 2015, 09:00:33 am
I know, but so?  This happens often with foreign players.  It's a risk, but I'm sure CMA thought he would be eligibleThis is my point.

That's the issue I have. If there is any question about him not coming you have a backup plan. We didn't/don't have one.

mizzouman

Quote from: RazorPiggie on July 23, 2015, 09:27:27 am
That's the issue I have. If there is any question about him not coming you have a backup plan. We didn't/don't have one.
The risk is there BEFORE you do your homework.  I would hope that CMA and his staff did all that to ensure he would be eligible.  Something must have come up at the last minute. 

I'm not saying that a backup plan should not have been in place, but we don't know the entire circumstance around this. 

So, if you are blaming CMA for this and for the arrests for that matter, I'm not sure you're behind the guy in the first place.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: mizzouman on July 23, 2015, 09:31:50 am
The risk is there BEFORE you do your homework.  I would hope that CMA and his staff did all that to ensure he would be eligible.  Something must have come up at the last minute. 

I'm not saying that a backup plan should not have been in place, but we don't know the entire circumstance around this. 

So, if you are blaming CMA for this and for the arrests for that matter, I'm not sure you're behind the guy in the first place.

I will blame CMA for Kapita. And No I'm not a big CMA fan mainly because if things went bad it would still be impossible for us to ever fire him.

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: jry04 on July 23, 2015, 08:42:18 am
He said he plans on remaining committed and making it co campus asap, but we will see. That never seems to be the case.

That's good to hear.  Seems the kids from Africa stick to their word.

Wildhog

The thing with Kapita is that we saw other schools backing off of him.  We decided to take the risk with no contingency plan and this is what happens.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

SONofHAM

RD alluding to a possibility Kapita enrolls for spring semester and maybe even for the fall semester. 

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2015/jul/23/ted-kapita-update/
"like a wild band of Razorback hogs"

jjdlc

Well, now RD is reporting that the door on Lapita being here is not closed yet.  Seems he is covering his bases if it does indeed fall through.

jjdlc

Quote from: SONofHAM on July 23, 2015, 01:20:31 pm
RD alluding to a possibility Kapita enrolls for spring semester and maybe even for the fall semester. 

Scooped!

SONofHAM

"like a wild band of Razorback hogs"

WilsonHog

Quote from: SONofHAM on July 23, 2015, 01:20:31 pm

The NCAA Clearinghouse hasn't ruled yet. Maybe we catch a break.

Wildhog

Quote from: Tom Bennett on July 23, 2015, 01:30:59 pm
The NCAA Clearinghouse hasn't ruled yet. Maybe we catch a break.

It would be a welcome change.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

jjdlc

PonderinHog

onebadrubi

Quote from: Wildhog on July 23, 2015, 10:05:20 am
The thing with Kapita is that we saw other schools backing off of him.  We decided to take the risk with no contingency plan and this is what happens.

Well, after everything has shaken out (excluding the money arrest) we might be seeing why we did take the chance.  We really had other play so we were going to try and take that risk.  It may pay off in the longrun if Kapita stays loyal to that commitment, but outside of whitt, I don't think anyone can see Basketball Recruiting this year was a let down. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: Wildhog on July 23, 2015, 01:32:21 pm
It would be a welcome change.

They owe our basketball program one!

jjdlc

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 23, 2015, 01:50:21 pm
Well, after everything has shaken out (excluding the money arrest) we might be seeing why we did take the chance.  We really had other play so we were going to try and take that risk.  It may pay off in the longrun if Kapita stays loyal to that commitment, but outside of whitt, I don't think anyone can see Basketball Recruiting this year was a let down.

Kapita and Whitt made for a very solid class during the regular recruiting period.  However, recruiting for two players who MIGHT leave, is not exactly an easy proposition.  Besides that, everyone even remotely close to BP says that he was telling the coaches he would return.  Once they had declared, it was too late.  There aren't exactly a large number of good players left sitting around waiting to commit once the spring signing day has come and gone.

hoglady

Until this started a few weeks ago - I don't recall reading anything about Kapita having qualifying issues. I don't know - maybe I missed it.
It wasn't surprising at all that other schools backed off considering his hip injury and the ?? in regard to that. But again I can't recall reading they were backing off due to qualifying issues.
Looks to me like Kapita, his school, MA and Razorbacks may have been  blindsided on this issue by the NCAA.
Backtracking now and saying we should have known isn't really fair.
Maybe there just wasn't anything to know at the time.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Kevin

Never said he was a bad student. He may be a honor student, but as one poster said, if your the staff that is going to sign a kid, you better have all the i's dotted and t's crossed.

It is on everyone involved. Most people in this cesspool dealing with high profile players, are in it for themselves. Kids gets used all the time by people who say they are helping them.

I feel bad for the kid, because he probably did want the adults around him told him to do.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

WarPig88

Quote from: Kevin on July 23, 2015, 02:46:33 pm
Never said he was a bad student. He may be a honor student, but as one poster said, if your the staff that is going to sign a kid, you better have all the i's dotted and t's crossed.

It is on everyone involved. Most people in this cesspool dealing with high profile players, are in it for themselves. Kids gets used all the time by people who say they are helping them.

I feel bad for the kid, because he probably did want the adults around him told him to do.

You called it an academic issue which it clearly has been discussed here enough for everyone to know that isn't true.

His academics are fine from his GPA to his test scores. This is an issue of having been born in a backward country that is also corrupt. It could be that his academic records in his homeland are being held for ransom, literally.

How you think that adds up to academic problems or shady handlers is mystifying.

Ultimately everything that happens in the program is the responsibility of the staff. They aren't volunteers.

Why folks such as yourself come on here and constantly act as if the rest of are ignorant of that is really quite insulting and definitely tiresome. I promise you that horse has been beaten to death several times over by you and a few others in here.

Hawg Red

FWIW

QuoteBo Mattingly ‏@SportsTalkwBo 2 minutes ago

Rothstein: From what I've been told, Ted Kapita will not be at Arkansas this year.

Kevin

Quote from: WarPig88 on July 23, 2015, 03:27:30 pm
You called it an academic issue which it clearly has been discussed here enough for everyone to know that isn't true.

His academics are fine from his GPA to his test scores. This is an issue of having been born in a backward country that is also corrupt. It could be that his academic records in his homeland are being held for ransom, literally.

How you think that adds up to academic problems or shady handlers is mystifying.

Ultimately everything that happens in the program is the responsibility of the staff. They aren't volunteers.

Why folks such as yourself come on here and constantly act as if the rest of are ignorant of that is really quite insulting and definitely tiresome. I promise you that horse has been beaten to death several times over by you and a few others in here.

So his problem is not being able to get certain paper work from the Congo?

mizzouman

Quote from: RazorPiggie on July 23, 2015, 09:34:13 am
I will blame CMA for Kapita. And No I'm not a big CMA fan mainly because if things went bad it would still be impossible for us to ever fire him.
OK, you can blame whomever you want.  No problem.

azhog10

Quote from: Kevin on July 23, 2015, 03:49:23 pm
So his problem is not being able to get certain paper work from the Congo?
Correct.

The premise of us recruiting him was that he had the test score, grades, and we thought coursework and according to Huntington he had. However the clearinghouse is having questions about his coursework in Congo, which I think i stupid as the kid has obviously shown he has learned enough to go to college. But that's what the NCAA is good for.

Kevin

Quote from: azhog10 on July 23, 2015, 04:06:19 pm
Correct.

The premise of us recruiting him was that he had the test score, grades, and we thought coursework and according to Huntington he had. However the clearinghouse is having questions about his coursework in Congo, which I think i stupid as the kid has obviously shown he has learned enough to go to college. But that's what the NCAA is good for.

Thanks

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: mizzouman on July 23, 2015, 04:04:29 pm
OK, you can blame whomever you want.  No problem.

I would say that it is ultimately his responsibility but there is probably a  compliance/recruiting administrator that also had a hand in passing eligibility information to MA that just so happened to be either a) incorrect or incomplete or seemed complete enough for b) MA to assume the risk.

In both cases MA is ultimately responsible. In reference to (b) he is solely responsible for the risk he assumes.
This is my non-signature signature.

Hawg Red

Quote from: azhog10 on July 23, 2015, 04:06:19 pm
Correct.

Definitely stupid to punish a kid for school work done before his final two (?) years of high school. I understand he did a year in Florida and a year at Huntington. Like you said, he's proven he's on par with his peers. I understand rules are in place for a reason, but man.

ricepig

Kevin

Read where he came here in 2011,  did he not do all four years of high school here

azhog10

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 23, 2015, 04:12:49 pm
Definitely stupid to punish a kid for school work done before his final two (?) years of high school. I understand he did a year in Florida and a year at Huntington. Like you said, he's proven he's on par with his peers. I understand rules are in place for a reason, but man.
It sucks. I'm sure the staff had a little better feeling since it worked for Kingsley. Same prep school, same continent, not the same country. Apparently that seems to be the difference. I would imagine, once Kaptia and crew got the information needed and sent to the Clearinghouse it was late and they had questions and needed more information. Now the question is, does Kapita have that from the Congo and the NCAA he is waiting in line, OR, are they still trying to get it....... RD says the NCAA hasn't looked/ruled on him yet. I am thinking it may be bc he hasn't gotten the information needed which is why he enrolled at another prep school just in case he isn't able to get whatever it is they need and he can be ready to go by the winter/spring.

But yes it's stupid none the less.