Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Started by Piggfoot, January 18, 2017, 10:39:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonteviosk

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 19, 2017, 08:43:50 am
Yep. Since we are killing it with the schedule now, we should totally add two more difficult games to the schedule. I mean everyone else in our league has just as many of these rent a wins as we do, but who cares? Stack the deck against us even more just to satisfy malcontents. Sounds legit.

Love this comment straight to the point
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

Hogwild

Quote from: TexasRazorback on January 19, 2017, 11:11:15 am
2017: 1 Texas recruit committed, we are on others who have yet to commit
2016: 4 TX recruits
2015: 4 TX recruits
2014: 1 TX recruit
2013: 3 TX recruits 5 TX walkons
2012: 6 TX recruits
2011: 6 TX recruits

For CBB's tenure here so far, having only 1 TX recruit committed at this time is not a shock. We knew coming in he loved to recruit the Sunshine state, which I believe he has not recruited enough. I do agree that we need to recruit Texas harder than any other state as we share a border with them but in all of bretts time at arkansas the 2012 and 2011 classes combined equal almost as many TX recruits that CBB has signed in his 5 years.

The recent numbers for Texas recruiting have been a disappointment.  Our only commitment from the Lone Star state has just one in-state offer (Texas State) We have to do a better job than that. UT has been down, A&M has been stagnant, Baylor imploded, this is the time to take advantage in recruiting the state. We need be doing as well as Colorado and Oklahoma State in Texas.

By comparison top 75 recruits in the state of Texas- (out of state commits only)
OU= 7
LSU= 4
Colorado= 3
OK Lite=3
Nebraska=2
Stanford= 2
Ohio State=2
Notre Dame= 2
Northwestern=2
Bama=1
Missouri=1
Kansas=1

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Hogwild on January 19, 2017, 11:41:54 am
The recent numbers for Texas recruiting have been a disappointment.  Our only commitment from the Lone Star state has just one in-state offer (Texas State) We have to do a better job than that. UT has been down, A&M has been stagnant, Baylor imploded, this is the time to take advantage in recruiting the state. We need be doing as well as Colorado and Oklahoma State in Texas.

By comparison top 75 recruits in the state of Texas- (out of state commits only)
OU= 7
LSU= 4
Colorado= 3
OK Lite=3
Nebraska=2
Stanford= 2
Ohio State=2
Notre Dame= 2
Northwestern=2
Bama=1
Missouri=1
Kansas=1
We'll get Chevin, which puts us squarely in the pack with the others and as good or better average quality. Next season we have Pool and are on BWill and Orji, so it looks like in the end we will do really well in Texas next year from both a quality and #s standpoint.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

TexasRazorback

Quote from: Hogwild on January 19, 2017, 11:41:54 am

UT's football recruiting has not been down. They landed a top 10 class last year. Just because they have not been winning does not mean their recruiting has been down.

Corkscrew Johnson

If you want to play for a National Championship, schedule 4 respectable rent-a-wins and brace yourself for the hurricane of SEC play. 

If you want to play message board warrior, go line up a bunch of brutal OOC opponents.

I know which one I care about most.  You take care of business in the SEC, you are in the playoffs, no questions asked.  A tough OOC schedule gets you nothing but lower odds of making the playoffs. 

Hogwild

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on January 19, 2017, 11:44:32 am
We'll get Chevin, which puts us squarely in the pack with the others and as good or better average quality. Next season we have Pool and are on BWill and Orji, so it looks like in the end we will do really well in Texas next year from both a quality and #s standpoint.

I hope you are right about Chevin, but remember those other school aren't standing pat, they will also add recruits as well.

Wildhog

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on January 19, 2017, 12:12:02 pm
If you want to play for a National Championship, schedule 4 respectable rent-a-wins and brace yourself for the hurricane of SEC play. 

If you want to play message board warrior, go line up a bunch of brutal OOC opponents.

I know which one I care about most.  You take care of business in the SEC, you are in the playoffs, no questions asked.  A tough OOC schedule gets you nothing but lower odds of making the playoffs. 

Hell, they don't even have to be respectable.  We still have to play eight SEC teams ever year.  We could schedule Incarnate Word, Nicholls State, Hutchinson C.C. and Bearden HS and it wouldn't matter.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Wildhog on January 19, 2017, 12:15:16 pm
Hell, they don't even have to be respectable.  We still have to play eight SEC teams ever year.  We could schedule Incarnate Word, Nicholls State, Hutchinson C.C. and Bearden HS and it wouldn't matter.

Amen

GuvHog

Quote from: jgphillips3 on January 18, 2017, 10:57:35 pm
Eventually we will play 9 conference games.  When that happens, you'll have two weak opponents, one tough out of conference and a 9 game meat grinder.  We would all like to see better opponents but our players have to get a break at some point in the season.  It can't be 12 straight competitive games.  That's too much to ask and risks injury even more than we already do being in the SEC West.  If we played in any other conference, we could beef up the non-con more than we do (and would need to) but we are in the SEC West and that's tough enough.

IMHO If the SEC goes to 9 conference games per year (I believe they will once they expand to 16 schools), the Head coaches and ADs will push to move away from scheduling home and away non-conference games because they will want as many home games as possible every season. Adding that 9th conference home and away game will take the place of the 4th non-conference game which is usually a home and away arrangement.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

LRRandy

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 19, 2017, 10:00:32 am
Our conference schedule is tough enough. Nonconference games are exactly that. Non conference games. Won't hurt our strength of schedule much anyway it goes. It is only mandatory for us to play one Power 5 nonconference game not two. Also we can only play one FCS school that counts on our overall record. Alabama plays an FCS school every year. I guess they are wrong too? Every Power 5 school plays at least one FCS school every year.That's just how it is. The other two schools are D1 or FBS schools to go along with TCU.
not true. The B1G banned member schools from playing FCS schools. That ban went into effect with the 2016 schedule.
This is fun, isn't it.

Wildhog

Quote from: LRRandy on January 19, 2017, 12:35:23 pm
not true. The B1G banned member schools from playing FCS schools. That ban went into effect with the 2016 schedule.

Easy to do that when your conference is hot garbage.
1909/1964/1965/1977

LRRandy

Quote from: Wildhog on January 19, 2017, 12:35:51 pm
Easy to do that when your conference is hot garbage.
as opposed to a conference that only had one team win  more than 8 games. Like that you mean. Quit living in the past. Yes, the sec had ( had ) a run of dominance. It's over. While still being a strong conference, the teams are not quite getting the benefit of the doubt as it relates to polling ( which is still important for positioning) that they once got. An undefeated conference champion from any of the 5 conferences will always get in the playoff. I do think the committee sent a message about scheduling (and winning) tough out of conference games. If you are winning 7-9 games a year and battling for mid tier bowls, out of conference scheduling will not come into play. If you want to play for championships, a win against a top 10 team ( or 3) at the end of the year enhances your resume  over teams fighting for a spot in the playoff.
This is fun, isn't it.

hogsanity

you sure about that? In 2016 Maryland and Rutgers both played Howard. Mich St played Furman. Iowa played NDSU, Illinois played Murray St, Mn played Indiana St, Northwestern played Illinois St., & Purdue played Eastern Ky.

And at least Maryland and Rutgers have fcs schools on their 2017 schedules.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

LRRandy

Quote from: hogsanity on January 19, 2017, 01:00:28 pm
you sure about that? In 2016 Maryland and Rutgers both played Howard. Mich St played Furman. Iowa played NDSU, Illinois played Murray St, Mn played Indiana St, Northwestern played Illinois St., & Purdue played Eastern Ky.

games that had already been scheduled were grandfathered in.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.usatoday.com/story/30938987/?client=safari
This is fun, isn't it.

Jim Harris

Quote from: Piggfoot on January 18, 2017, 10:39:11 pm
We are playing New Mex St, Coastal Carolina, and Florida A&M  for purely selfish reasons. Our ticket buying fans demand more home games.
Do playing these teams help our effort? Maybe. They do possibly add three wins getting us half way to six and bowl qualification. But they have no positive effect on team building through recruiting.
I would support one rent-a- win but not three.
We need to continue our series with TCU and replace two of the rent-a-wins with home and home games with a Florida team and another Texas team.

They are playing a Florida team. Florida A&M.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Wildhog

Quote from: LRRandy on January 19, 2017, 12:50:22 pm
as opposed to a conference that only had one team win  more than 8 games. Like that you mean. Quit living in the past. Yes, the sec had ( had ) a run of dominance. It's over. While still being a strong conference, the teams are not quite getting the benefit of the doubt as it relates to polling ( which is still important for positioning) that they once got. An undefeated conference champion from any of the 5 conferences will always get in the playoff. I do think the committee sent a message about scheduling (and winning) tough out of conference games. If you are winning 7-9 games a year and battling for mid tier bowls, out of conference scheduling will not come into play. If you want to play for championships, a win against a top 10 team ( or 3) at the end of the year enhances your resume  over teams fighting for a spot in the playoff.

lol, one worse than average SEC season does not a trend make.  Aren't you the OSU gomer?  Maybe I'm thinking of someone else?
1909/1964/1965/1977

hogsanity

Quote from: LRRandy on January 19, 2017, 01:17:11 pm
games that had already been scheduled were grandfathered in.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.usatoday.com/story/30938987/?client=safari

Okay, it went into effect with the 2016 scheduling cycle, makes sense.

If/when the sec goes to 9 games they will likely get ride of fcs teams too.

What would get ride of them being scheduled at all would be if the playoff ever gets to where you get in by winning your league, then whatever you do ooc won't be a hinderence making the playoff. Then you will see a big jump in big games.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on January 19, 2017, 01:20:48 pm
lol, one worse than average SEC season does not a trend make.  Aren't you the OSU gomer?  Maybe I'm thinking of someone else?
Oh yeah, you've got the right man.

Hogwild

Quote from: hogsanity on January 19, 2017, 01:00:28 pm

The ban went into effect in 2016, they can no longer play FCS school.  A waiver was granted for already scheduled games, get this, because of the hardship it would cause to schools having cancel contracts.  Guess Michigan didn't get the memo. 

tophawg19

that is because the bottom half of the conference is fcs level schools
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Youngsta71701

Ok then, if this happens to the SEC we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. Personally I would rather play a small D1 or FBS school also but as for right now it is what it is. If it wasn't for those type of games those FCS schools would cease to exist. That is their main money maker.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

LRRandy

Quote from: Wildhog on January 19, 2017, 01:20:48 pm
to stay on the thread topic I'll not list the numerous items that point to more than a one season decline by the sec. Suffice it to say that in the very near future if a one loss sec team with a weak non conference schedule ( FCS school + weak G5 ) is put side by side with a one loss team from another conference that has a strong non conference schedule (top 10 win no FCS) the weak scheduling may pull down the sec team and the conference it plays in doesn't carry the weight it once did to get it in over a team with a better resume.
This is fun, isn't it.

Wildhog

Quote from: LRRandy on January 19, 2017, 02:10:09 pm
to stay on the thread topic I'll not list the numerous items that point to more than a one season decline by the sec. Suffice it to say that in the very near future if a one loss sec team with a weak non conference schedule ( FCS school + weak G5 ) is put side by side with a one loss team from another conference that has a strong non conference schedule (top 10 win no FCS) the weak scheduling may pull down the sec team and the conference it plays in doesn't carry the weight it once did to get it in over a team with a better resume.

Well, when that happens you can claim victory.

I'll hold my breath. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

tophawg19

Quote from: LRRandy on January 19, 2017, 02:10:09 pm
the SOS will always favor the SEC , especially the SEC west
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

LRRandy

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 19, 2017, 02:15:09 pm
the SOS will always favor the SEC , especially the SEC west
always is a mighty big word in this scenario. Mediocrity is strong with this conference. Keep waving that sec west banner. It's gotten you so much.
This is fun, isn't it.

Piggfoot

Quote from: Jim Harris on January 19, 2017, 01:20:35 pm
They are playing a Florida team. Florida A&M.

Is it a home and Home game that would give us a presence in Florida and allow Florida recruit"s parents an opportunity to see their son play in Florida?
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Wildhog

Quote from: LRRandy on January 19, 2017, 02:21:55 pm
always is a mighty big word in this scenario. Mediocrity is strong with this conference. Keep waving that sec west banner. It's gotten you so much.

It's all we have.
1909/1964/1965/1977

We actually need those easy games to assist in keeping a depth short team on the field for 12 games.  I would love us to go home and home with 3 Texas teams with the games away near either Houston or Dallas.  We need Texas exposure and we need to win those games.  One reason we recruited Texas so well in the 60s and somewhat in the 70s was because we took on the Texas teams and, except for the University of Texas, we usually beat them.  Recruits like to play for winners. who run fun offenses and defenses, wear cool school related clothes and have a logo that is unique.  They also want to play some near home and have a reasonable chance to go home often.  Arkansas should be promoting these things with action, not words.  Arkansas actually connects to Texas, has a past relationship to Texas and we should be able to still gain 6 to 8 recruits annually from Texas.

It is the responsibility of Arkansas to keep up with the changing times.  If it is true that Arkansas and Texas High Schools have gone away from the ground and pound style to run and gun, then to get the best bang for the buck and to garner players from the area who we really need to garner, then we should consider trying the schemes that the local playing pool knows best how to do and like.

I would not be for the Hogs to increase the strengthen of their OOC schedule unless it meant we could go home and home with Texas schools to hopefully assist recruiting in Txas.

Medic821

Piggfoot

The 1964 team had at least 15 players on the team from Texas and 4 from Oklahoma
Arkansas produced 35.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

ricepig

Quote from: Piggfoot on January 19, 2017, 02:44:46 pm
The 1964 team had at least 15 players on the team from Texas and 4 from Oklahoma
Arkansas produced 35.
And your point is?

LRRandy

Quote from: ricepig on January 19, 2017, 02:48:55 pm
And your point is?
isnt it obvious? The last time Arkansas won a national title the team was mostly Arkansans. Non conference schedule didn't matter.
This is fun, isn't it.

ricepig

Quote from: LRRandy on January 19, 2017, 02:52:47 pm
isnt it obvious? The last time Arkansas won a national title the team was mostly Arkansans. Non conference schedule didn't matter.

Was this before, or after the Civil War, I forget......

hogsanity

Quote from: LRRandy on January 19, 2017, 02:21:55 pm

Always is a big word, but for the foreseeable future the sec teams sos is going to be better than any other p5 school. The bottom of the other p5 leagues really hurts them. Will it always be that way, no one knows.

LRRandy

Quote from: ricepig on January 19, 2017, 03:02:30 pm
Was this before, or after the Civil War, I forget......
definately post reconstruction
This is fun, isn't it.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Wildhog on January 19, 2017, 12:15:16 pm
I think you need to play 1 decent opponent.  But just 1.

nchogg

Pork Twain

Quote from: LRRandy on January 19, 2017, 12:50:22 pm
So one down year and SEC is done?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Hawgar The Horrible

Yeah, buddy. The Hogs should load up on P5 heavyweights out of conference as well. Wins are a drag and break the momentum of those with agendas.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

#1Fan

Then why are people mad that Michigan cancelled?  We should be rejoicing.

Wildhog

Quote from: #1Fan on January 19, 2017, 03:52:56 pm
Then why are people mad that Michigan cancelled?  We should be rejoicing.

I did rejoice.  Best break we've caught since the 4th and 25.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Man, no one wants to be spurned for someone else.  Trading us off for ND.  Truthfully I think it was a blessing for us.  I joked that likely BB was on his knees with Jeff begging for those two games to go away.  We werea bout to get our asses handed to us 2 more unnecessary times.

PorkSoda

Quote from: hogsanity on January 19, 2017, 03:05:43 pm
Always is a big word, but for the foreseeable future the sec teams sos is going to be better than any other p5 school. The bottom of the other p5 leagues really hurts them. Will it always be that way, no one knows.
since I was curious as to which conference has the best SOS

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other?date=2016-11-30

Top 10 SOS
SEC - 3
Big 10 - 3
ACC - 2
PAC - 1
Big 12 - 1

Top 25

SEC - 7
PAC - 7
BIG10 - 6
ACC - 4
BIG 12 - 1

there definitely seems to be more parity developing between conferences, except I don't think the big 12 can be considered a P5 conference anymore.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Hogwild

Quote from: GuvHog on January 19, 2017, 12:34:04 pm
IMHO If the SEC goes to 9 conference games per year (I believe they will once they expand to 16 schools),

I seriously doubt that either one of those things will happen anytime soon.  I don't see the SEC expanding, and the East teams would be against it.

hawkhawg

Quote from: Wildhog on January 19, 2017, 03:53:38 pm
I did rejoice.  Best break we've caught since the 4th and 25.

I thought the same thing.  Give me the rent-wins. We always have one of the toughest schedules why make it tougher?

Hogwild

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 19, 2017, 04:07:35 pm
since I was curious as to which conference has the best SOS

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other?date=2016-11-30

Top 10 SOS
SEC - 3
Big 10 - 3
ACC - 2
PAC - 1
Big 12 - 1

Top 25

SEC - 7
PAC - 7
BIG10 - 6
ACC - 4
BIG 12 - 1

there definitely seems to be more parity developing between conferences, except I don't think the big 12 can be considered a P5 conference anymore.

2016 Sagarin Strength of Schedule – Overall Top 10

Pac 12= 6
SEC= 4

2016 Sagarin Strength of Schedule – Overall Top 25
Pac 12= 9
SEC= 5
Big 10= 5
Big 12=3
ACC= 3

http://www.fbschedules.com/2016/12/2016-college-football-strength-schedule-rankings-dec-2/

lakecityhog

You know the difference between Arkansas and schools like Bama, Auburn, LSU, Oklahoma, Michigan, Ohio State and a few others? Those schools SELLOUT their cupcake games!

Bacons Rebellion

I like the FCS games. I think it's great for the FCS programs and the FCS players. Alcorn State guys get to play their one game a year in a big SEC stadium? That's gotta be cool for them. It funds their programs. And sometimes there is Appalachian State against Michigan or Citadel against Arkansas or Northern Iowa against Iowa or William & Mary against Virginia.

There's nothing to win for us and everything to lose. Now that's drama! How many games since 1998 have we had "Everything to lose?" None I think.

And if we are not playin The Citadel, it is the one game where we are sure, as fans, that we can see lots of deep subs and walkons. Plus it's the most likely time for those walkons to get in a game.

I REALLY like the FCS game every year. They are just for fun and they are fun. Except for The Citadel. I really thought we should have scheduled The Citadel last season for the 25th anniversary.

ricepig

Quote from: lakecityhog on January 19, 2017, 04:59:56 pm
You know the difference between Arkansas and schools like Bama, Auburn, LSU, Oklahoma, Michigan, Ohio State and a few others? Those schools SELLOUT their cupcake games!

It will get better when ours are moved to RRS. Would you like to see some pictures of some of those schools stadiums when they've played cupcakes? Don't make me put factchecker on this......