Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Titanic

Started by Porked Tongue, January 05, 2017, 09:30:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LadybackBBFan

This is the first time that I agree 100% with flippinhogmana!  In addition, you can not impress young black female basketball players by using his trophy, much younger, cheerleader wife and his gymnast daughter.  They are obviously very talented and great people, but are not the type to impress the players that he is recruiting and loosing.  The experiment should be over.  I support Mike Neighbors and I never thought that I would say that.  I watched him in his first job, Bentonville High School and was not impressed, but he has paid his dues and come a long way.  I also think he would come back.  When there was a high school tournament in Ft. Smith Junior College, I sat with his parents for several games and also with him.  He is someone who would relate to the fans unlike JD.

(notOM)Rebel123

"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

BWS

In fairness to Dykes, in regards to the etiquette classes, I remember Coach Collen doing the same thing with his wife leading the class. Its actually a common practice among some coaches.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on January 12, 2017, 08:25:48 am
This is the first time that I agree 100% with flippinhogmana!  In addition, you can not impress young black female basketball players by using his trophy, much younger, cheerleader wife and his gymnast daughter.  They are obviously very talented and great people, but are not the type to impress the players that he is recruiting and loosing.  The experiment should be over.  I support Mike Neighbors and I never thought that I would say that.  I watched him in his first job, Bentonville High School and was not impressed, but he has paid his dues and come a long way.  I also think he would come back.  When there was a high school tournament in Ft. Smith Junior College, I sat with his parents for several games and also with him.  He is someone who would relate to the fans unlike JD.

Now this might be a day I thought I'd never see!  Seriously, Both (as she indicated she had a chalk board left over from her coaching days) LBBF and I have coached girls basket ball (both of us albeit at the hs level) and she has coached much, much longer than I (not to refer to her age but to defer somewhat to your distinguished career).  We are not neophytes who have never played and dont know what we are talking about.  We also recognize what we observe, whether its effective or not.  I have played on the floor of Barnhill (that should indicate my age).  I am loyal and not a complainer and generally defer to coaches.  That being said, I stand by my previous statement.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

hogman64

Quote from: flippinhogmana on January 12, 2017, 06:07:06 am
Every one of them (those who have said I have had it, I cant deal with this, and even some who have elected not to come here) might have a different reason but here are two that most of them have in common (including graduates who stuck it out):  He is egocentric and as such really doesnt have a clue as to how to build a 'team'.  A team concept is an antithesis to someone that thinks the world revolves around them.  They dont receive input from coaches, so many things are a threat to them and they (and he has believe me) react that way.  Second, if you will tell me what half court offense he runs you will  be the first one who know.  That is the reason why he doesnt need a chalk board. 

As far as he is concerned his offense feeds off his defense.  That might seem absurd to you that i would have the temerity to even suggest that is the case but it is.  A good player comes here to get better.  I too am a Christian and a devout one.  I read the Bible and pray daily.  That faith informs my life (including not bearing false witness and sowing discord) but the fact is this experiment has been a failure from day one.  Only the strong leadership of the upperclassmen Calli Berna, Jhasmine Bowen and Melissa Wolff gave it a veneer to whatever success it might have appeared to have especially the first year.  Coaching Women's BB was not and is not JD's calling...the fruits just arent there.  This program is not going in the right direction and more patience is not the answer, plead for that if you want, but all we will get with giving him more time is just wasted time.

this is a good informative post for someone like me who would like to be a women's bball  hog fan  ... I generally keep up with who is on the team and read the box scores , I was a bigger follower back in Blair's years , but the last three coaches have given me no reason to become an invested fan, I have enough pain with football and basketball, last year even baseball, why take on getting upset with women's basketball.... I do follow Dykes on twitter and I get 100% what was  said  about putting his wife and daughter front and center, that would definitely impress certain circles but cant see how it is doing him any good with his target audience.....also the Saturday before the LSU game he was happy to put on twitter that he had knocked out practice that morning so that he was able to attend his daughters gym meet that afternoon ..... well on the surface ok, but if you are not winning games  and lose the next day because it looks like you were unprepared to handle their pressure, don't put on twitter you are making your daughter's gym meet,... you are clipping off 450K to win games.....that is just a bad decision to broadcast what you did that afternoon, no one thinks family is more important than I do but come on man!  how about checking out video later , I think most kids would understand their dad was making a lot of money to coach and the game the next day needed his attention....

beringer62

Are there other current players that will not return? And what is going on with K. Williams?

Hogtied85

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on January 12, 2017, 08:45:48 am
Just a thought.....
http://www.herdzone.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/daniel_matt00.html

Coach Daniels interviewed the first time and lost out to Dykes. When interviewed his record wasn't that good. I like him though

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: beringer62 on January 12, 2017, 11:00:17 am
Are there other current players that will not return? And what is going on with K. Williams?

At this point, there is only speculation about players who may not return. But it is not baseless speculation. It's based on social media posts, observation of body language, and a small amount of inside information. But the speculation is that at least a couple players on the current squad are unhappy enough to give strong consideration to leaving.

Williams is reportedly injured. I believe I saw her dressed in warm-ups (but not uniform) and on the bench for the LSU game, sitting next to Ratliff. I have been wrong with my sideline ID's before, though. If the nature of her injury has been released, I haven't seen it.

And today is truly a wonder - flippin and LBBBF in complete agreement!!!! ;-)

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: BWS on January 12, 2017, 09:38:59 am
In fairness to Dykes, in regards to the etiquette classes, I remember Coach Collen doing the same thing with his wife leading the class. Its actually a common practice among some coaches.
It is one thing to have Niki Collen teaching you etiquette who was a college basketball player at Marquette and later a coach on his staff who was tougher on the girls than Collen versus a former cheerleader who wears eye makeup and glitter like a gymnast. I agree with the concept of the classes - I would probably have a staff member doing them - someone they could relate to.

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: beringer62 on January 12, 2017, 11:00:17 am
I know nothing about other players leaving.  I am aware why K. Williams is not playing.  She is not injured and does want to be playing.  Coach said it is for personal reasons at his luncheon.  There is more to this story, but I can not and will not comment any more.  However, I do believe the issue will be cleared up by the start of next week from what I know.

beringer62

Thanks for the info!

psycHOGlogist

Dwight_K_Shrute

Jimmy Dykes loses a player. Take a drink. Jimmy Dykes loses SEC game take a drink.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

jseinfeld50

Quote from: BWS on January 12, 2017, 09:38:59 am

it also goes back a ways in school history. JD experienced it. among some is a common practice even men.  thanks Patsy.

Hogtied85

Quote from: jseinfeld50 on January 13, 2017, 05:00:30 am
it also goes back a ways in school history. JD experienced it. among some is a common practice even men.  thanks Patsy.

Dykes is gonna have to have some recruiting surprises for next years recruiting class in order to stay here I think. How many scholarships do we have available now.

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: Hogtired10 on January 13, 2017, 11:47:12 am
Dykes is gonna have to have some recruiting surprises for next years recruiting class in order to stay here I think. How many scholarships do we have available now.

Right now we have 11 players with 9 dressing, one redshirt and one ? with two graduating and two signees.  If everyone stays we should have 11 players next year with 4 scholarships available.  However, we would probably not fill all of them as we would only have one senior the following year and one scholarship to give if we lost no one.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on January 13, 2017, 12:24:02 pm
Right now we have 11 players with 9 dressing, one redshirt and one ? with two graduating and two signees.  If everyone stays we should have 11 players next year with 4 scholarships available.  However, we would probably not fill all of them as we would only have one senior the following year and one scholarship to give if we lost no one.

So far, Dykes does not seem to be successful at landing transfers, either. That would be one way to try to address the imbalance of the classes.

Hogtied85

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on January 13, 2017, 02:30:33 pm
So far, Dykes does not seem to be successful at landing transfers, either. That would be one way to try to address the imbalance of the classes.

To be honest. I really don't see a big loss @ Jordan Danberry. Malica Monk has proved to be the better point guard. If Wilson and mason keeps improving you can run an unstoppable three guard line up. This should be a lesson to Coach Dykes and staff. In the famous words of Pat Summit, "You can't take donkey's to the Kentucky Derby" You have to recruit the studs that will get you to the promise land.

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: Hogtired10 on January 13, 2017, 05:52:11 pm
To be honest. I really don't see a big loss @ Jordan Danberry. Malica Monk has proved to be the better point guard. If Wilson and mason keeps improving you can run an unstoppable three guard line up. This should be a lesson to Coach Dykes and staff. In the famous words of Pat Summit, "You can't take donkey's to the Kentucky Derby" You have to recruit the studs that will get you to the promise land.
Granted Monk proved that she is better than Danberry - at least at the start of this year.  However, she does need to be a better passer than just driver and shooter to be a real point guard. The loss that really hurts is Freeman.  She was a true "3" player.  She was the second fastest member on the team - close to Monk and was able to rebound, drive and score and was the top defender on the team as far as I am concerned.
One person that also was run off that has not been mentioned is Kelsey Brooks.  It was clear last year that she and the coach did not get along.  She graduated in the summer and moved on with her life when she could have returned for her senior year.  Since she graduated in 3 years, she obviously was a good student and could have been in a Master's Program.  She was very good player her freshman and sophomore years, but was injured all of last year.  Rest or knee surgery would have made her an effective player this year.

psycHOGlogist

And don't forget Mckenzie Adams, who left after a freshman year in which she started all 30 games. I know she never played for Dykes (left b/c she didn't want to play for him), but it sure would be nice to have her. She was named AAC Newcomer of the Year last year for SMU, averaging 13 ppg.

hoglady

It appears Jeff Long's experiment is a failure that's run it's course.
It's a shame he used the women's basketball program for it - I didn't understand what he was doing at the time and I still don't understand the reasoning behind the JD hire.
Long needs to try to right the ship sooner rather than later.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

3kgthog

Quote from: hoglady on January 14, 2017, 08:38:45 pm
It appears Jeff Long's experiment is a failure that's run it's course.
It's a shame he used the women's basketball program for it - I didn't understand what he was doing at the time and I still don't understand the reasoning behind the JD hire.
Long needs to try to right the ship sooner rather than later.

That would require Jeff admitting fault and I don't see him being the type to do that. He'll stick with his man until either too many players quit or the decision is yanked from him.

The worst part is that the JD hire puzzled (and angered) many coaches that were more deserving of the job than JD. Some might've been potential candidates that now won't even consider Arkansas because of Long's experiment.

Hogtied85

Quote from: 3kgthog on January 15, 2017, 03:08:47 am
That would require Jeff admitting fault and I don't see him being the type to do that. He'll stick with his man until either too many players quit or the decision is yanked from him.

The worst part is that the JD hire puzzled (and angered) many coaches that were more deserving of the job than JD. Some might've been potential candidates that now won't even consider Arkansas because of Long's experiment.

Who were the list of Coaches that applied for the Job???

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: 3kgthog on January 15, 2017, 03:08:47 am

I agree with the first part, but the second part is just speculation. Long has a stellar reputation as an AD and is viewed as a coach-friendly (for his hires) one, also. We're an SEC program (even if we're not a good one) with some very good in-state talent coming up the next few years. There are good folks out there who will apply. 

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: Hogtired10 on January 15, 2017, 08:25:41 am
Who were the list of Coaches that applied for the Job???

The names I remember were the Wichita State coach, Jody Adams, the Marshall coach linked up-thread (Daniel), and maybe the former coach from Albany (Abrahamson-Henderson, who just started at UCF this year). Of course, everyone speculated about Joe Foley, but I'm not sure if there were even any conversations with him.

The thought at the time was, if those were the finalists, Dykes was not a crazy choice (even though he was kind of a crazy choice).

People I would consider/put feelers out to:

Current HC's
- Mike Neighbors, U Washington HC, discussed up thread already
- Charlie Turner-Thorne, AZ State HC - ASU is a very strong PAC 12 program, and Turner Thorne has been there like 20 years, so very low probability here, but the ASU athletic department is a stuff show at the moment, and their coaches are all underpaid. Plus, we just got Jason Watson from there, so maybe he could help talk her into it? Just tossing out wild possibilities. (This one is very unlikely, fwiw.)
- Michelle Clark-Heard at WKU (she is a WKU alum, though)
- Cara Consuerga, the UNC-Charlotte coach (they have been steadily improving)
- Kelly Graves at Oregon (throw the checkbook at him to see if he'll leave Nike-land/the West Coast; he has the experience of cleaning up after a showy, nonsense hire in Paul Westhead; also quite unlikely)
- Wes Moore, NC State HC. Proved he could do more with less at UT-Chattanooga, and now doing a good job turning around NC State. Would he leave NC, though?
- Can we steal Vic Schaefer from Mississippi State? (doubtful - his new deal has him making over $650K/yr) He was reportedly looking at the Kansas job when it came open in 2015.
- As long as I'm being delusional, I'll throw out Jeff Walz, Louisville HC. There is no good reason for Walz to leave Louisville for Arkansas, EXCEPT that the UL is basically a hot mess at the moment. The Gov of KY is playing politics with their board of directors, and it may cause the school to lose SACS accreditation, which would then make them ineligible for NCAA membership. Likely won't happen, but just thought I'd throw it out.

Non Head Coaches:
- Johnnie Harris, Mississippi St assistant (and former Hog assistant and UAFS assistant), Pine Bluff native
- Sytia Messer (does she want to HC again?)
- Carol Owens - longtime assistant at Notre Dame, didn't do very well with her first HC stint at Northern Illinois 10 years ago, but maybe ready for another shot?
- Lance White, Florida State Assoc HC, is from Texas (TTU grad), great recruiter/offense guy.
- Texas assistant/Recruiting Coordinator George Washington?

Looking at this, I am actually more excited by the Asst Coach possibilities than the HC ones, other than Neighbors. My HC list is either too far-fetched (Walz, Moore, Turner Thorne) or not that thrilling. Harris, Messer, and White are pretty intriguing options, if they're ready to leave where they are. 

hog.goblin

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on January 10, 2017, 07:53:48 am
It all started with the kneeling!  I do not know if we will ever recover from that.

A lot of truth here.  Best case scenario you lose either the players or the fans, but not both.  By letting them do it and then stating he didn't agree with them, he lost both.

I don't know Jimmy well, but Tiffany is a great person.  Sad situation.  I would rather see Mike and Jimmy both get things turned around.

hawgon

It was an insult to Ladyback fans and women's college basketball in general to hire Dykes for this job.  I'm not a women's basketball fan but Arkansas is an SEC school and we should strive to be at the top in every sport.  That was not a serious hire.  Dykes might be a fine person but he was not ready nor was he in any way qualified for this job. 

Oh, and I said all this from day one about this hire.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: pitts on January 17, 2017, 08:44:20 am
LadybackBff i am Bria Pitts father and let's get something straight first and foremost the girls on Arkansas team loved Bria and she still has a great relationship with all her old teammates especially Jess, Mackenzie and Kelsey, whom she roomed with for two years. Just so you know Bria tore her ACL three times in high school and when she transferred to ORU tore it again while playing and leading ORU in scoring and assist with 14 points a game and 5 assist.

Bria has never had a bad thing to say about Arkansas or coach Dykes and i would appreciate you get your Damn facts right before you blast her on this forum. Now me on the other hand i may have one now because of your lies. By the way Bria is receiving her Degree in may and will be working towards her Masters which is what it's really all about. not to many players can go through 4 ACL tears rehab and make it back playing at the level she did.

my daughter is a great kid and beautiful young lady get it right please. 

PS stop hiding behind threads you know who i am.

Sorry he was a little hard on you LBBF but I am glad he set the record straight.  I deleted two posts answering some of your comments because I thought I was a little hard on you.  But I can tell you that (and other can too) that every he says is true and then some.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

The_Iceman

Quote from: hawgon on January 17, 2017, 10:36:24 am
It was an insult to Ladyback fans and women's college basketball in general to hire Dykes for this job.  I'm not a women's basketball fan but Arkansas is an SEC school and we should strive to be at the top in every sport.  That was not a serious hire.  Dykes might be a fine person but he was not ready nor was he in any way qualified for this job. 

After his first season, I really thought this program was gonna get rolling. But it's has only rolled into the ditch. Disappointing.

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: pitts on January 17, 2017, 08:44:20 am
LadybackBff i am Bria Pitts father and let's get something straight first and foremost the girls on Arkansas team loved Bria and she still has a great relationship with all her old teammates especially Jess, Mackenzie and Kelsey, whom she roomed with for two years. Just so you know Bria tore her ACL three times in high school and when she transferred to ORU tore it again while playing and leading ORU in scoring and assist with 14 points a game and 5 assist.

Bria has never had a bad thing to say about Arkansas or coach Dykes and i would appreciate you get your Damn facts right before you blast her on this forum. Now me on the other hand i may have one now because of your lies. By the way Bria is receiving her Degree in may and will be working towards her Masters which is what it's really all about. not to many players can go through 4 ACL tears rehab and make it back playing at the level she did.

my daughter is a great kid and beautiful young lady get it right please. 

PS stop hiding behind threads you know who i am. 
First off, I apologize if anything I said was wrong.  I do not know your daughter.  I also do not know who you are.  Let us end it here.  I will delete my original post.

ricepig

hoglady

I wish I understood what Dykes is doing to run these players off.
Is it wearing his religion on his sleave and expecting players to conform to his beliefs?
Do his problems with players center more on the court or off the court?
Most fans are just left guessing as to the real problems - it's pretty obvious something is not right.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

jdlittle

Coach Vick at Miss. State inherited a bad bad program,   look what he has done.   To give a scholarship to Ms. Danberry tells me what he thinks of her talent.     I would think She will be productive.   What we have at Arkansas is a guy that is clueless about coaching.   Very good announcer though.   Of course Arkansas has an AD  that is not good at hiring coaches either, but good at counting money.   So.....................   

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: hoglady on January 19, 2017, 09:43:45 am
I wish I understood what Dykes is doing to run these players off.
Is it wearing his religion on his sleave and expecting players to conform to his beliefs?
Do his problems with players center more on the court or off the court?
Most fans are just left guessing as to the real problems - it's pretty obvious something is not right.

He is a man, and men being created in God's image are the unquestionable leaders of the house, team, etc.  He demands obedience.  He believes his authority as a man and a coach is granted by the Lord.  He tweets more bible verses, and family stuff than he does about his own team. 

Seriously though I think he is an overbearing egotistical dick that treats his players like he is the Father.  Look most kids/players respect discipline.  Contrary to popular belief most in today's world don't mind being coached, mentored, and being held accountable as long as it's done fairly, consistently and by someone that has earned their respect.  Although initially you should just respect the coach due to the position out of courtesy, coaches over time still have to earn their players' respect.  With the number of players that have left and the quality of players that have left a person can reasonably assume it's Jimmy and aren't most of these defections players that he has recruited?

It's a shame that Mississippi State's AD, you know the one that is now the AD at Florida went out and hired a proven assistant off a championship team, an assistant that was actually familiar with Arkansas, while Jeff Long hired a commentator. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

hoglady

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on January 19, 2017, 03:42:50 pm
He is a man, and men being created in God's image are the unquestionable leaders of the house, team, etc.  He demands obedience.  He believes his authority as a man and a coach is granted by the Lord.  He tweets more bible verses, and family stuff than he does about his own team. 

Seriously though I think he is an overbearing egotistical dick that treats his players like he is the Father.  Look most kids/players respect discipline.  Contrary to popular belief most in today's world don't mind being coached, mentored, and being held accountable as long as it's done fairly, consistently and by someone that has earned their respect.  Although initially you should just respect the coach due to the position out of courtesy, coaches over time still have to earn their players' respect.  With the number of players that have left and the quality of players that have left a person can reasonably assume it's Jimmy and aren't most of these defections players that he has recruited?

It's a shame that Mississippi State's AD, you know the one that is now the AD at Florida went out and hired a proven assistant off a championship team, an assistant that was actually familiar with Arkansas, while Jeff Long hired a commentator. 

Thanks.

Jim Harris

Quote from: hawgon on January 17, 2017, 10:36:24 am

The number of women basketball coaches who were insulted by the hiring of JD off an ESPN analyst gig to coach women's bb here was significant. Certainly don't know the exact number, and not everybody was going to go on the record blasting it, but the feeling was circulated widely, as well as the hopes that he would fail miserably. Jeff Long rolled some fixed dice on this one, and they don't favor the house. Still time for it to work out, but Jimmy might need to lean on advice from women's bb coaches rather than calling his old men's coaching buddies on what to do, if he's even asking. I'm not saying they needed a man or woman coaching the program (I have huge respect for Joe Foley, and who doesn't? And obviously Gino A is a genius in the women's game), but they needed someone who could relate to women's bb and actually the ins and outs of being a proven head coach/program leader. Jimmy seemed to think all basketball and all people are the same, the way he's gone about things so far.
I know I'm probably preaching to the choir here.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Porked Tongue

Choir agrees right back.

In a nutshell, he's over his head.

hawgon

This is the kind of crap that makes me so mad a Jeff Long.  Arkansas is a good job!  Any coaching position at Arkansas is a good job!  We could have hired a ton of proven head coaches from lower levels or up and comers.  It just showed contempt for the women and their program to make that hire.

psycHOGlogist

Recent tidbit on previous (reported) finalist for the HC job when Dykes was hired:

http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/article127612249.html

Not good.

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: Jim Harris on January 19, 2017, 04:40:09 pm
The number of women basketball coaches who were insulted by the hiring of JD off an ESPN analyst gig to coach women's bb here was significant. Certainly don't know the exact number, and not everybody was going to go on the record blasting it, but the feeling was circulated widely, as well as the hopes that he would fail miserably. Jeff Long rolled some fixed dice on this one, and they don't favor the house. Still time for it to work out, but Jimmy might need to lean on advice from women's bb coaches rather than calling his old men's coaching buddies on what to do, if he's even asking. I'm not saying they needed a man or woman coaching the program (I have huge respect for Joe Foley, and who doesn't? And obviously Gino A is a genius in the women's game), but they needed someone who could relate to women's bb and actually the ins and outs of being a proven head coach/program leader. Jimmy seemed to think all basketball and all people are the same, the way he's gone about things so far.
I know I'm probably preaching to the choir here.
Well said.  I could not agree more with this quote.

psycHOGlogist