Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Another 2017 kid getting a look...Kenny Wooten

Started by Swinesong1, December 16, 2016, 02:46:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Swinesong1

Six-foot-eight power forward Kenny Wooten sat out because his coach wanted him to rest. Wooten has seen his recruitment picked up recently and has had a dozen schools come through in the last month or so.

Wooten hasn't taken any official visits but definitely plans on getting to Kansas, Arizona State and Oregon. He's had high interest from Arizona, Cal and USC and Arkansas is the most recent school to offer. "I definitely plan on cutting my list down this month," he said. "Probably to a top five or six and then I'll take my visits from there."

mhuff

If Scotty is on him, we have a chance .

Swinesong1

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DgAisyIzYRKM&ved=0ahUKEwjk_rK00PnQAhVY82MKHQh1CzQQwqsBCCkwBA&usg=AFQjCNF1EBzqaIwhIxri_NSzJYEaBhzZ8g

The_Iceman

The_Iceman

Looks good. Just not sure the 4 is a position of need in 2017.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: Swinesong1 on December 16, 2016, 02:58:39 pm
Six-foot-eight power forward Kenny Wooten sat out because his coach wanted him to rest. Wooten has seen his recruitment picked up recently and has had a dozen schools come through in the last month or so.

Wooten hasn't taken any official visits but definitely plans on getting to Kansas, Arizona State and Oregon. He's had high interest from Arizona, Cal and USC and Arkansas is the most recent school to offer. "I definitely plan on cutting my list down this month," he said. "Probably to a top five or six and then I'll take my visits from there."

Read the linked article in the OP and did not see that the Hogs have offered him, only that the Hogs had watched him? I might have missed it, but I read through it a couple of times.

Swinesong1

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on December 17, 2016, 01:19:33 am
Read the linked article in the OP and did not see that the Hogs have offered him, only that the Hogs had watched him? I might have missed it, but I read through it a couple of times.
The linked article is older than the "offer" quote.  That quote came during a tourney currently being played. 

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: Swinesong1 on December 17, 2016, 09:12:41 am
The linked article is older than the "offer" quote.  That quote came during a tourney currently being played.

Gotcha, do you mind linking it?

nwahogfan1

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 16, 2016, 03:48:39 pm

Boy I do,   That spot needs to get more talented, bigger and more physical.   Once we get into sec play that position will get exploited.

hogwood

Awesome to hear. He'd be a good fit for us next season.

hogwood

Could have used him tonight vs. TX.

Looks like as of a month ago his top 5 is:

1. Kansas
2. Oregon
3. Arizona St.
4. California
5. DePaul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D97F7kH52iU

outlawhogeywells

cant have to many quality bigs.  6'8" and can jump fits the Arkansas system perfectly. 

Swinesong1

Reminds me of the kid who was at LSU a couple of years ago.  Jordan Mickey.  Leaper n shot blocker.

hogwood

Per Jeff Borzello he's just committed to Arizona State.

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on December 17, 2016, 11:23:23 am
Boy I do,   That spot needs to get more talented, bigger and more physical.   Once we get into sec play that position will get exploited.
completely agree.  In SEC play, the Hogs routinely get manhandled on the boards against teams like Ole Miss, who usually have manly power forwards and centers.  They just move us out of the way and get every rebound.  I remember Nolan making the statement that rebounding was a misleading statistic and just because his teams may have been outrebounded, it didnt mean much and it appears that Mike agrees with this, but I think we need some muscle and girth and length under the boards at times. 

The_Iceman

Quote from: MemphisBossHog on December 23, 2016, 12:18:50 pm
completely agree.  In SEC play, the Hogs routinely get manhandled on the boards against teams like Ole Miss, who usually have manly power forwards and centers.  They just move us out of the way and get every rebound.  I remember Nolan making the statement that rebounding was a misleading statistic and just because his teams may have been outrebounded, it didnt mean much and it appears that Mike agrees with this, but I think we need some muscle and girth and length under the boards at times.

I'm not too worried about a lack of rebounding unless it comes from a lack of hustle. I don't mind if we aren't as strong as other teams inside, because we are usually a leaner team. But we need to be a fiesty, hustling rebounding team, especially on the offensive end.

spahoopsfan

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 16, 2016, 03:48:39 pm

We need someone that can defend down low and rebound.  I'm not sure we have that for next year

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: spahoopsfan on December 27, 2016, 03:16:29 pm
We need someone that can defend down low and rebound.  I'm not sure we have that for next year

Daniel Gafford says hello. Averaging 19.4 rebs and 8.9 blocks per game at El Dorado (and 20.2 pts).

The_Iceman

December 28, 2016, 07:54:13 am #19 Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 08:04:51 am by The_Iceman
Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on December 27, 2016, 08:38:58 pm
Daniel Gafford says hello. Averaging 19.4 rebs and 8.9 blocks per game at El Dorado (and 20.2 pts).

Not sure how he forgot our prized recruit.
https://twitter.com/ArRecruitingGuy/status/810265751458381824

Hawg Red

For those that have seen both extensively in high school, who is the better player coming out of high school between Bobby Portis and Daniel Gafford. Those numbers for Gafford are jaw-dropping.

I know a lot of people probably think Gafford is too thin or might not be ready to really step in for Moses right away, but from what I am seeing of college basketball right now, Gafford is very much the modern college big man.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: Hawg Red on December 28, 2016, 09:00:04 am
For those that have seen both extensively in high school, who is the better player coming out of high school between Bobby Portis and Daniel Gafford. Those numbers for Gafford are jaw-dropping.

I know a lot of people probably think Gafford is too thin or might not be ready to really step in for Moses right away, but from what I am seeing of college basketball right now, Gafford is very much the modern college big man.

Both 6-10 and highly regarded in HS, but apples and oranges as players. Bobby was an offensive player who ran the floor harder than many guards but he had limited athleticism and limited defensive potential. Daniel is a plus-athlete with 7-2 wingspan who's gifts currently make him a beast defensively (volume rebounder and shot-blocker), but he's still very raw offensively and tends to not run the floor from end to end like you saw with Bobby.

Both are 6-10 and gifted, but almost polar opposites as players. For the college game, I give the edge to BP transitioning from HS because of his offensive gifts. For long-term -- talking pro game -- I think Gafford has the higher ceiling. Remember, Bobby earned SEC POY and AA as a sophomore at Arkansas, and a lot of that was due to him being able to score the ball basically at all 3 levels as a big.

HawgHeadCheese

I think Gafford compares more to Kingsley with more athleticism.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on December 27, 2016, 08:38:58 pm

I love Gafford but he is a 5 at Arkansas.  We need bigger and more physical 4s to help the 5.  That is if you want to win more SEC games and get deeper in the T.

outlawhogeywells

We need a 5 so gafford can play the 4

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

hogwood

Quote from: outlawhogeywells on January 18, 2017, 05:14:26 pm

Gafford is a 5 anywhere. Kid is 6'10"-11". What we need is a 4 to bolster our post game or we need a 5 so that TT can move to the 4.

WooPig90

Big Nasty 34

Has Gafford shown any resemblance of an offensive game outside of the lane? He is a 5 every day and then some, especially in Mike's system.

The_Iceman

Thank goodness you aren't a coach. Gafford is a prototype Mike Anderson 5. Actually, he is a 5 for any team. He may be thin, but so was Marcus Camby.

Gafford is a more skilled athlete than Moses Kingsley. Moses is a raw athlete, but Gafford can dunk is ways Moses only dreams of.

The_Iceman

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on January 01, 2017, 07:20:07 am
I love Gafford but he is a 5 at Arkansas.  We need bigger and more physical 4s to help the 5.  That is if you want to win more SEC games and get deeper in the T.

I really like Grant Williams from Tennessee as a mold for a fit around Gafford. Could even go with someone more skilled like a Marshawn Powell type that is 6'6", but can rebounds and stretch the floor.

Hopefully Cook continues to develop (and Thomas). I think Bailey has tons of potential as an undersized 4 as well, who can rebound and finish with authority.

Kevin McPherson

As most have already pointed out, Gafford is a 5 in our system and any system. If he adds any kind of pet move/shot down low and develops just a decent face-up mid-range shot, he could end up a 2-and-done.

outlawhogeywells

We don't play a "5"  our post men are out on the floor (just watch the games) we play athletic forwards. 

mhuff

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 19, 2017, 02:49:02 pm
Thank goodness you aren't a coach. Gafford is a prototype Mike Anderson 5. Actually, he is a 5 for any team. He may be thin, but so was Marcus Camby.

Gafford is a more skilled athlete than Moses Kingsley. Moses is a raw athlete, but  Gafford can dunk in ways Moses only dreams of.

We need inside scoring. Plus blocked shots and rebounds often result in quick baskets on the other end.

Swinesong1

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: Swinesong1 on April 12, 2017, 01:32:54 am
Heeeeeeee's baaaaaack...

Swinesong, will you modify your subject line with his name? So many recruiting threads now it's getting confusing. :-\

ArkansasI

Not sure, but Kenny may get the Kansas offer he was hoping for...

NWAHog479

Quote from: ArkansasI on April 12, 2017, 08:33:46 am
Not sure, but Kenny may get the Kansas offer he was hoping for...

Does Kansas have an offer available now that they have the Lawson brothers?

azhog10

Unless they have a transfer or take a scholly away I don't see how. The have three seniors, and then signed the Lawson brothers and also Billy Preston and Marcus Garrett. Now if Jackson leaves (which I would imagine he will) then they still have no open scholly's. So not sure how they could even pull that off unless they take something away or someone transfers out.

Swinesong1

April 12, 2017, 12:30:50 pm #39 Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 12:51:15 pm by Swinesong1
Quote from: azhog10 on April 12, 2017, 09:56:12 am
Unless they have a transfer or take a scholly away I don't see how. The have three seniors, and then signed the Lawson brothers and also Billy Preston and Marcus Garrett. Now if Jackson leaves (which I would imagine he will) then they still have no open scholly's. So not sure how they could even pull that off unless they take something away or someone transfers out.
I'd be shocked if Jackson didn't declare.  They currently have all 13 filled. That would free up the one they need. But, I think Self is chasing a PG to round out the class.