Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will Grier to transfer

Started by ricepig, December 19, 2015, 11:51:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

TDHawgs

SemperHawg

No idea what to make of this one...How long is his PED suspension?

WaltonCollege

TDHawgs

Quote from: SemperHawg on December 19, 2015, 12:16:05 pm
No idea what to make of this one...How long is his PED suspension?
They said he would have been eligible to play against Missouri on Oct. 15, 2016.

bigdaddyhawg

Very interesting development here.  I assumed he'd be the starter upon returning, but perhaps he'd been told something different from that.

Bad for UF, good for my Hogs!!
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

ChicoHog

wow!  That's a shock.  Maybe he thinks McElwain won't give him a chance since he can't play the first half of the season.  Wherever he goes he is still under suspension I assume even if it's a FCS team? 

jbcarol

Pravda was puffing Dec. grad QB Feleipe Franks all day yesterday.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

LLPL

Quote from: TDHawgs on December 19, 2015, 12:13:23 pm
Looks like it's not just A&M having QB issues.
https://www.seccountry.com/florida/report-will-grier-to-transfer-from-florida

I think he plans on trying to get on at UCLA or USC and live in LA with his brothers who are making names for themselves in the entertainment world. His little brother is living there full time now since being on Dancing with the Stars.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Odd. I thought for sure FL wanted him back

bennyl08

He was a good qb. I won't complain about not having to face him.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

scruf

longpig

Don't be scared, be smart.

onebadrubi

Didn't florida just get a signature and commitment from a top rated f not the top rated HS qB?  Maybe he sees writing on the wall and is a panzy scared of competition

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: onebadrubi on December 19, 2015, 02:53:39 pm
Didn't florida just get a signature and commitment from a top rated f not the top rated HS qB?  Maybe he sees writing on the wall and is a panzy scared of competition

Riiiiiiiiiiight, a returning starting QB is scared of competing with a guy fresh out of high school.

Geesh.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

PORKULATOR

Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Pig Worshipper

Next1_04

Interesting thought on where he could end up.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/will-grier-to-transfer-from-florida-qbs-top-5-options/ar-BBnJLWi?li=BBnb7Kz

1. Arkansas – Bret Bielema made a big push the first time around in the recruiting process, and going back to his days at Wisconsin, the Hog head man is used to selling top transfer option quarterbacks.

2. East Carolina – Scottie Montgomery wants to crank up the offense, and while he'd have to wait a year, Grier is the exact right fit.

3. Wake Forest – Is this a big enough gig after getting to lead Florida for half a season? The Demon Deacons were on the Grier short list before, and Dave Clawson is the right type of coach for what Grier can do.

4. Auburn – While he might not be the right type of runner Gus Malzahn wants, he can move just well enough. He can crank up the tempo.

5. NC State – Dave Doeren made a huge push for Grier, and he wants a bomber. He'd let Grier open up the attack.

bennyl08

Quote from: Next1_04 on December 19, 2015, 07:15:43 pm

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/will-grier-to-transfer-from-florida-qbs-top-5-options/ar-BBnJLWi?li=BBnb7Kz

1. Arkansas – Bret Bielema made a big push the first time around in the recruiting process, and going back to his days at Wisconsin, the Hog head man is used to selling top transfer option quarterbacks.

2. East Carolina – Scottie Montgomery wants to crank up the offense, and while he'd have to wait a year, Grier is the exact right fit.

3. Wake Forest – Is this a big enough gig after getting to lead Florida for half a season? The Demon Deacons were on the Grier short list before, and Dave Clawson is the right type of coach for what Grier can do.

4. Auburn – While he might not be the right type of runner Gus Malzahn wants, he can move just well enough. He can crank up the tempo.

5. NC State – Dave Doeren made a huge push for Grier, and he wants a bomber. He'd let Grier open up the attack.

NC state would be a good place for him to land. They have quietly been pumping out NFL qb's for the past decade.

Jacoby Brissett is likely to be drafted and is another Florida expat. Before that you have Mike Glennon and before him you have Russell Wilson. I admit, I thought Osweiller was in there too, so I overstated their qb pedigree, but still.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

MissippHog

So it's rumored he wants to go out west but the guy that wrote that article didn't mention any teams in the MST or PST time zones.  Also, I don't remember us making "a big push" for Grier. 

code red

"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

idochog

I love Jesus!

AugustaHog

The kid can play without question.  I don't think we are in the mix, but if we are, I wouldn't be upset. 

Sir Oinksalot

Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

The Kig

Quote from: scruf on December 19, 2015, 02:16:02 pm
Treon Harris at QB = Arkansas win

Harris won't be starting next year.  Neither would Grier... Which is why he transfered. There is a kid that transfered from Oregon, named Del Rio I think, that couldn't play this year.   From what I heard, Del Rio was heads and shoulders above all of FL QBs.  Grier started but only because of the transfer rule. 
Poker Porker

LLPL

Quote from: The Kig on December 20, 2015, 02:52:07 am
Harris won't be starting next year.  Neither would Grier... Which is why he transfered. There is a kid that transfered from Oregon, named Del Rio I think, that couldn't play this year.   From what I heard, Del Rio was heads and shoulders above all of FL QBs.  Grier started but only because of the transfer rule. 

He must have improved REALLY fast. He was a walk-on at Alabama and transferred to Oregon State after one year and then at Oregon State he was the 3rd string QB this year completing 8 of 19 passes for the season and is now transferring to Florida. Grier was the established starter with impressive stats so I seriously doubt he left because of the 3rd string QB transfer from a terrible Oregon State team who will be at his 3rd school in as many years.

The Kig

Quote from: LLPL on December 20, 2015, 09:25:52 am
He must have improved REALLY fast. He was a walk-on at Alabama and transferred to Oregon State after one year and then at Oregon State he was the 3rd string QB this year completing 8 of 19 passes for the season and is now transferring to Florida. Grier was the established starter with impressive stats so I seriously doubt he left because of the 3rd string QB transfer from a terrible Oregon State team who will be at his 3rd school in as many years.

No idea on the trail the kid took to get there.  Just saying that I heard he was clearly better than the others, including Grier, and that may have played a part. 

Also, a few months off the "juice" (ligandrol- a testosterone booster specially designed to add bulk) that was enhancing Grier's performance may have had an effect on his...performance.  Of course he didn't know what it was, even though his Dad is a HS coach, FL staff educates them, and he only took it for two weeks because it was free on his GNC point card.  Gain 43lbs in a yearand then remove the "vitamins"... Bet he doesn't hold the weight. 
Poker Porker

oldhawg

Quote from: TDHawgs on December 19, 2015, 12:13:23 pm
Looks like it's not just A&M having QB issues.
https://www.seccountry.com/florida/report-will-grier-to-transfer-from-florida

So if one or two of the four star quarterbacks at Arkansas transfers, does that mean the Razorbacks are having quarterback problems? 

Not all change is a problem.

ricepig

Quote from: oldhawg on December 20, 2015, 11:09:54 am

So if one or two of the four star quarterbacks at Arkansas transfers, does that mean the Razorbacks are having quarterback problems? 

Have any of ours started a game?

Pig in the Pokey

umm, nope.

The Gators are currently No. 1 in the Scout.com recruiting rankings, but they have yet to bring in a truly elite quarterback prospect. Head coach Jim McElwain was hoping to get Georgia-commit Jacob Eason to flip, but that didn't happen. 6-5, 220-pound Feleipe Franks is the best QB prospect coming in, but McElwain is going to keep pushing to find another option to go along with Harris.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Arthur pigby sellers.

Quote from: bennyl08 on December 19, 2015, 08:07:48 pm
NC state would be a good place for him to land. They have quietly been pumping out NFL qb's for the past decade.

Jacoby Brissett is likely to be drafted and is another Florida expat. Before that you have Mike Glennon and before him you have Russell Wilson. I admit, I thought Osweiller was in there too, so I overstated their qb pedigree, but still.
Pretty sure Phillip Rivers went to NC state as well

jbcarol

Chris Low ‏@ClowESPN Dec 19 Connecticut, USA

Caught up with @CoachMcElwain, and he emphasized that Will Grier felt he simply needed a fresh start. McElwain supports and will help Grier.

jbcarol

Keith Niebuhr ‏@Keith247Sports Dec 19

From what I am told, Will Grier would have preferred staying at Florida...

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC 42m42 minutes ago

Jim McElwain opens up about QB Will Grier transferring from Florida http://trib.al/8qnDTyU

Quote"He came in and asked for a release," McElwain said, confirming that it was Grier's decision. "We obviously thought he was coming back, that's what we had a couple weeks ago. But in this case, that's a choice.

"The one thing I'll never do is make someone do something they don't want to do. In life, sometimes change of scenery is good. In this case, he's going to go have a successful career and go on to play in the NFL. We'll help him in every way we can."

McElwain indicted he did not put any transfer restrictions on the schools Grier requested.

"I'm not real fired up about seeing him in the SEC, but we signed (off on) a bunch ... every school that he brought up. We're here to support him," McElwain said.

"I just, we anticipated him being here. Obviously the choice was made to go somewhere else."

jbcarol

Thomas Goldkamp ‏@ThomasGoldkamp 3h3 hours ago

If Will Grier goes JUCO and plays right away, then transfers back to an FBS school, would have to sit out the 6 games. (Bylaw 18.4.1.5.5)

bkjbearcat

Will he go the 1-AA route? If he wants to go west so bad then would Montana or Eastern Washington be a good fit?
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

King Kong

Quote from: oldhawg on December 20, 2015, 11:09:54 am

If they we starting prior to the transfer yes

Jimmy Chitwood

I doubt he is granted a release to any SEC school, let alone an SEC school on Florida's schedule in the next couple of years. Plus, while having a QB with some good experience on the roster would be great, Grier having to sit a year wouldn't benefit us in 2016 where we need that experience the most.
Good things come to those who wait, but only what's left behind by those that hustle.

ricepig

Quote from: Jimmy Chitwood on December 22, 2015, 08:35:47 am
I doubt he is granted a release to any SEC school, let alone an SEC school on Florida's schedule in the next couple of years. Plus, while having a QB with some good experience on the roster would be great, Grier having to sit a year wouldn't benefit us in 2016 where we need that experience the most.

https://twitter.com/SECfootball/status/679045710847672320

Supermark101

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 20, 2015, 11:58:53 am
umm, nope.

The Gators are currently No. 1 in the Scout.com recruiting rankings, but they have yet to bring in a truly elite quarterback prospect. Head coach Jim McElwain was hoping to get Georgia-commit Jacob Eason to flip, but that didn't happen. 6-5, 220-pound Feleipe Franks is the best QB prospect coming in, but McElwain is going to keep pushing to find another option to go along with Harris.

This, he was looking at Florida, after Richt got let go. He might have even commuted, I can't remember, but he signed early wih Georgia.

jbcarol

Mark Long ‏@APMarkLong 19h19 hours ago

Former Gators QB Will Grier did not get full release from scholarship. He's banned from transferring to other SEC schools, maybe more

hogcard1964

Could he redshirt next season during his suspension?

NaturalStateReb

Grier and the Florida staff were in a weird position.  Neither could really count on the other.  Florida wouldn't get Grier back until at least the 6th game, so they couldn't count on Grier being the starter.  That means that they've got to get someone else ready to go for the beginning of the season.

Grier was good but not fantastic.  Grier couldn't count on Florida making him the starter in the 6th game, particularly if the new starter had a hot hand. 

The suspension was a tough break, timing-wise.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: hogcard1964 on December 22, 2015, 11:02:47 am
Could he redshirt next season during his suspension?

Based on what I heard on the radio the other day, no.  If he went somewhere else FBS, he'd have to sit, then miss the first 5 games of 2017.  Ouch.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

hogcard1964

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on December 22, 2015, 11:07:54 am
Based on what I heard on the radio the other day, no.  If he went somewhere else FBS, he'd have to sit, then miss the first 5 games of 2017.  Ouch.

Eeesh!

bennyl08

Quote from: LLPL on December 20, 2015, 09:25:52 am

Correction: He was not at Oregon State this season. When Oregon State hired Anderson who wants to run a zone option type of offense, Del Rio transferred out again. He accumulated those stats last season at OSU (and was 8/18) and was the second string qb who only came into games that were blowout losses. In very limited time, he actually looked solid. He has a good arm and was poised in the pocket.

His stats came in 3 games. 0-3 passing at USC. 4-8 87 yards @Stanford and 4-7 for 54 yards vs the ducks in the civil war. The last game is the only time I've seen him play, but I was looking forward to seeing him take over after Mannion left. Given that the beavers were paying Riley less than a million a year in salary, that they are chewing up over 3 million for Anderson's rather than using it for academics is really disappointing.

jbcarol

Pat Dooley ‏@pat_dooley Dec 19

Told Will Grier felt like he wasn't in UF's plans next season. That's biggest reason he decided to transfer.

jbcarol

Grier is visiting West Virginia on Wednesday

Mountaineers are the first team to reportedly host Grier, who is in search of a new home after transferring from UF in December.

QuoteGrier led the Gators to a 6-0 record and top-10 ranking as their starting quarterback last season. On Oct. 12, the redshirt freshman received a year-long suspension from the NCAA after testing positive for a performance-enhancing drug.