Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Deployments to shorten to 9 months

Started by 1CavHog, August 04, 2011, 09:16:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

1CavHog

http://fieldnotes.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/08/04/7256033-gis-set-to-get-some-much-needed-relief

I will drink a beer to this. In 06 -08 did a 15 monther followed by a year at home (which included 2 months of field time and one at NTC) and then another year gone. I enjoy a lot of aspects of deploying but those back to back long ones were hell on families.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Except for high-need units such as aviation.  We're still on the twelve month rotation schedule.  But, it's good PR for the gubment.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

Johnny America

Quote from: 1CavHog on August 04, 2011, 09:16:37 pm
http://fieldnotes.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/08/04/7256033-gis-set-to-get-some-much-needed-relief

I will drink a beer to this. In 06 -08 did a 15 monther followed by a year at home (which included 2 months of field time and one at NTC) and then another year gone. I enjoy a lot of aspects of deploying but those back to back long ones were hell on families.

I was in that 15 month deployment with 1st Cav in 06-08. I would have slapped my mom for a 9 month deployment. haha
God is not real.

1CavHog

Yeah that 15-months was horrible. I remember thinking another 3 months not that big a deal but when I was sitting there for the second Christmas in a row I would have given my left nut to get the hell out of there. What BCT / BN were you with?

1CavHog

Although at least we found out early in our rotation we were getting extended unlike the guys from Alaska who were already home, on the plane home, or in Kuwait and got turned around.

Johnny America

2-5 Cav, 1st BCT. My other deployment there was 04-05 with 1-12 Cav, 1st BCT. You?
God is not real.

Johnny America

Quote from: 1CavHog on August 09, 2011, 03:26:02 pm
Although at least we found out early in our rotation we were getting extended unlike the guys from Alaska who were already home, on the plane home, or in Kuwait and got turned around.

While this is true, I found out we were extended by reading it on yahoo news. Have to love the chain of information in the Army.
God is not real.

1CavHog

Quote from: Johnny America on August 09, 2011, 03:26:41 pm
2-5 Cav, 1st BCT. My other deployment there was 04-05 with 1-12 Cav, 1st BCT. You?

Haha no way I was in 1-7.

1CavHog

Quote from: Johnny America on August 09, 2011, 03:27:30 pm
While this is true, I found out we were extended by reading it on yahoo news. Have to love the chain of information in the Army.

Yeah my wife emailed me pissed off as hell wanting to know why we were being extended I told her it was just rumors she said no it's on the news.

hawgsav1

This was a major reason a buddy of mine left the Army and joined the Navy.  He loved the Army, but couldn't stand the ridiculously long deployments.  Most Navy/USMC deployments are 9 months or less at the most. 
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

Johnny America

God is not real.